FSU not happy about ACC ESPN deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FSU not happy about ACC ESPN deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sorry that being sarcastic fooled you all. DVR or TiVo all you want. I meant it as a joke, but I see it was taken seriously. I DVR stuff because I am actually at the game, and I want to watch and review the game later from a home-viewer perspective. I try to turn the sound off as often as possible because I hate the Joe T. and Rod Gilmore team on Fridays. Give me Lou Holtz any day.

Connecticut (the Hartford/New Haven market) is among the top 30 media markets on many scales. My main point was that the larger the market and population, the greater the number of viewers tuning in. A network company like ESPN is not fighting cable or satellite to squeeze more money out of the consumer. Someone asked what the impact is on the consumer, and I couldn't help but say that is irrelevant. The money is coming from the advertisers who are paying for the projected level of interest in attractive conference/non-conference matchups. The individual viewer is insignificant because all of these numbers are based on marketing trends and models that say this is what we can expect advertisers to pay based on a variety of factors. Look at it this way, Boston is a huge media market, but how many people are actually sitting in front of the television watching BC get spanked? However, the ACC touts having a strong market because it could mean more negotiating when it comes to the market potential.

If you really want to be in the important part of the statistics, join the team and be in the box score or buy a ticket and increase the percentage of sellouts at the rent. That will benefit the university more than one cent.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's called presenting a desirable product (key conference matchups that attract a great viewership) to serve a large audience and the network cuts a check for a percentage of the advertising dollars (projected) that come in. Viewers tuning in means a higher premium for advertising. If you are concerned about doing your part, watch the commercials (don't DVR or TiVo) during UConn games. That is where an overwhelming amount of the money comes from, exponentially more than what we contribute as cable subscribers.

That was being sarcastic?? Well you are right about two things:

1) You fooled me.
2) Rod Gilmore sucks. Seriously, he sucks. He almost deserves his own thread on the subject. One of my least favorite football commentators.

Reaction Score
Maybe not sarcasm, but it was done in jest because I know everyone here likes to rewatch the games. I was trying to be dickish.

Secondly, Ram-Rod Gilmore. I just vomited a little in my mouth. He has such ADD during the game, not even funny or original in his ideas. He needs to learn from John Madden on how to go off on tangents and state the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom