FSU cruising again | The Boneyard

FSU cruising again

Reaction Score
watch out for them Seminoles, they have been firing on all cylinders lately
In their previous game they jumped out to a 59-14 lead on Clemson.
Today they are all over a decent Syracuse team, up 45-20 at half.

Could they make a run at a #1 seed?
Probably not given the schedule ahead, but they are one to watch.

Reaction Score

Calling the Cuse a decent team is a bit of a strech. They feasted on the sisters of mercy earlier in the year and have shown their true color lately.

Reaction Score
Actually their sked is not that onerous.
They've already played Louisville, Duke, NC St, and at Miami.

They've got @Vt, Miami, Texas, @ND.
All winnable.

If they run the table they easily get a 1 over MD imho.
Totaly agree if you are refering to FSU. They are fast ,skilled and Athletic.

Reaction Score
Calling the Cuse a decent team is a bit of a strech. They feasted on the sisters of mercy earlier in the year and have shown their true color lately.

They have played several top 20 teams close, and have a win over NcSt. They are a bubble NCAA team. That is decent in my book.

Reaction Score
Yes. But you don't beat a team 59-14 without playing very well on both ends of the floor.
Have you seen Clemsons record over the last few years, they are Seaton Hall to Uconn in the old big East.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I wonder if FSU could beat Baylor in the tournament.
I'd like to see them play another high-ranked team in a bracket other than Uconn's. It would be very interesting to see in the regional semis or finals.

Of course, if they did play UConn again, I'd have to assume the Huskies would be mentally prepared.

But sure, I'd pay to watch a tournament game of that caliber. Obviously, I want the Huskies to win it all, but the stronger previous Husky opponents fare, the happier I'd be.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Have you seen Clemsons record over the last few years, they are Seaton Hall to Uconn in the old big East.

I can remember when Clemson was one of the top teams in the ACC. They had stretch of over a decade when they went to the NCAAs and they did damage a few times as well. This was back in the late 1980s til early 2000s

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder if FSU could beat Baylor in the tournament.

They couldnt last year. Both teams are better this year, but FSU doesnt really have much size to match inside with the bears.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

At this point in the season, the contenders have already separated themselves from the pretenders. We now know who the prime time players are, and who the wanna bees are. Florida State is for real this year. They got my attention when they played UConn to the buzzer in November. They put a muzzle on Syracuse today. They held them to 7 points in the first quarter, as they raced out to a 26-7 lead after 10 minutes.

As far as them making a run for a 1 seed, that will be tough. One of the current 1 seeds would have to have a major melt down, and completely collapse (a 3-4 game losing streak which includes losses to unrnaked teams) for that to happen. UConn, Baylor, Maryland & Miss St. are all playing solid basketball right now. There's only 2 losses between those top 4 teams.

I'm very interested in watching them play Notre Dame on the 26th of February in South Bend. The last game of the regular season for both teams. It will be televised nationally on ESPN 10am est.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If FSU were to run the table and Maryland were to lose a game, I think FSU could move to 4 due to their SOS. SC and Miss St play in SC this Monday so that 4/5 matchup moves one of them down and I suspect MSU loses. The ACC is by far the best conference with top to middle to lower Top 25 teams (5-25) while PAC12 has only Middle to high 20's (9-27) ranked teams. ND, FSU, Duke, NC St all would win the PAC12 over Wash. So, I am contradicting Carnac-sorry. It will play out so we will see.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If FSU were to run the table and Maryland were to lose a game, I think FSU could move to 4 due to their SOS. SC and Miss St play in SC this Monday so that 4/5 matchup moves one of them down and I suspect MSU loses. The ACC is by far the best conference with top to middle to lower Top 25 teams (5-25) while PAC12 has only Middle to high 20's (9-27) ranked teams. ND, FSU, Duke, NC St all would win the PAC12 over Wash. So, I am contradicting Carnac-sorry. It will play out so we will see.

That's OK. I said that because in the past, a top 5 team has lost, and did not drop in the rankings more than a slot or two.
1. I don't think any of them are going to lose more than 1 game the rest of the way.
2. If one of them does lose a game, it still may not preclude them from scoring a # 1 seed for the BIG boogie.

So FSU would have to run the table. Miss St. is ranked 4th in the AP & assoc press coaches polls. BTW, Miss St. is the only other D1 women's team besides UConn that has yet to lose a game (18-0). Their next game is Monday 1/23 @ #5 So. Carolina. (ESPN 4 pm est), so it's very possible that they may leave the arena that evening with their first loss.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that would happen. Even if MD doesn't lose, FSU has the sked to leap them.

I can see the committee going either way on that one. I remember a few years ago, when UConn and Notre Dame both entered the tournament undefeated, they still made UConn the overall #1 even though Notre Dame had played the tougher schedule and had more quality wins. I realize that's not the same situation, but the point is that SOS does not always trump the (dare I say it) eye test.

Reaction Score

Midway thru the 4th: Syracuse 71 #14 Miami 41

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That's OK. I said that because in the past, a top 5 team has lost, and did not drop in the rankings more than a slot or two.
1. I don't think any of them are going to lose more than 1 game the rest of the way.
2. If one of them does lose a game, it still may not preclude them from scoring a # 1 seed for the BIG boogie.

So FSU would have to run the table. Miss St. is ranked 4th in the AP & assoc press coaches polls. BTW, Miss St. is the only other D1 women's team besides UConn that has yet to lose a game (18-0). Their next game is Monday 1/23 @ #5 So. Carolina. (ESPN 4 pm est), so it's very possible that they may leave the arena that evening with their first loss.

7pm est, 4 pst.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that would happen. Even if MD doesn't lose, FSU has the sked to leap them.

Florida St: RPI # 5, SOS #15, 4-1 against RPI top 25, with 3 more to come / 8-2 against RPI 50 with 4 to go
Maryland: RPI #16, SOS #68, 2-1 against RPI top 25, with 0 more to come / 7-1 against RPI 50 with 2 to go

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Midway thru the 4th: Syracuse 71 #14 Miami 41

Syracuse's best win of the season, for sure. Added to their wins over NC State and Michigan State, that should be enough to get the Orange into the tournament.

Conversely, Miami's worst showing of the season. A guard-dominant team like UM should not be giving up 23 turnovers.

Reaction Score

Your east-coast bias is showing! That's ok, happens a lot around here. :D Happened quite a bit last year, too - that is until Stanford took down ND in the regional semis, and two other PAC-12 teams, U-Dub & ORST, made the FF. :eek:

I do agree with your assessment that the ACC is the best this year, so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom