FSU alum lawyer analyzes a copy of the ACC GOR Agreement - verbal assurances are irrelevant | The Boneyard

FSU alum lawyer analyzes a copy of the ACC GOR Agreement - verbal assurances are irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Trolling for page views. GOR is rock solid.
Isn't that what he says?

In any event, as with all things there is the possibility of wiggle room based upon, the exclusion of rights held by any school, the possible existence of "substantially contemporaneous collateral agreements."

It also looks like Notre Dame could have been a prime mover in this with the desire to make sure that they were joining a stable conference.

Reaction Score
Isn't that what he says?

In any event, as with all things there is the possibility of wiggle room based upon, the exclusion of rights held by any school, the possible existence of "substantially contemporaneous collateral agreements."

It also looks like Notre Dame could have been a prime mover in this with the desire to make sure that they were joining a stable conference.

That is what ND sources said at the time. ND did not want to join the ACC without a GOR in place.

CL82

Reaction Score
That is what ND sources said at the time. ND did not want to join the ACC without a GOR in place.
At the time I thought it was a tool used by the ACC to lock in ND to the extent possible, but, yeah, it appears to just the opposite. As we both said before, ND is an astute organization that is very good at looking after its interests.

Reaction Score
What would an FSU move to Big10 mean for UCONN?
I would have to think that it would be positive.

The door would definitely open up to the ACC.

As for the Big Ten, it all depends on what is happening in the Plains. Oklahoma is screaming for an exit. Not sure if that is the start of the dissolution of the Big 12.

A grassroots movement to remove OU from the Big 12

Old Boneyard visitor Cleanface goes to bat for UConn here:
CR Part ))XII((: Conference Hospice & Realignment Speculation - Page 22

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Frank was clearly firing this link with a subtle jab directed at The Dude (who has been claiming the ACC's GOR is irrelevant because it was based on the conditional premise there is a network coming).

Anyhow, I don't think most people disagree the G.O.R. is enforceable. I know my stance has never been that it isn't valid, but that ultimately if challenged upon non-payment of media monies, that it would be broken. If it worked as it should (i.e. one party gives rights to broadcast in exchange for compensation), there definitely is no denying it is and always has been valid. The real crux here is just that a conference intends to stop payment on its media compensation should a member leave. That's when a member leaving for another conference wants to go through the hassle of litigating to get that money back. As much as I believe it would ultimately go their way in court, it's still not a slam dunk and it sure isn't going to be an easy nor fun process to go through.

On a side note, while I think the Big Ten craves Florida State, I think they'd still rather have a more natural bridge between them and I'd be surprised if they jump that bridge without a precursor.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think the B1g craves FSU one iota. Aside from most people at FSU not know the meaning of the word, 'iota,' The B1G isn't the sports centric conference that the SEC, B12, and ACC are, they don't need the money, and if they do decide to expand have much more attractive schools than FSU. If FSU is going anywhere, it's the B12 but that would require Texas creating a more inviting evironment.

Assuming the ACC schools can get out of the GOR, the B12 could kill the ACC in one swoop but that would require Texas not acting like Texas.

If the ACC does lose FSU, you will see those knuckleheads go after the best football program they can find.

Reaction Score
We need Barron back at FSU. I get a feeling he would have stepped in front of a microphone by this point and given us something to chew on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my opinion, I think Delany wants people to think he is after the ACC schools but is in fact planning for a major haul of schools out of the Big 12 to complete a major population and geographic grab on the western side of the B1G.

A lot of people talk about getting the ACC schools, which would be terrific, but back in 2010 Delany tried to get the Big 12 schools before he went to the ACC schools.

In 2010 Delany was after Iowa State, A&M, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma as a group. They all would have gone to the B1G but there were some issues about how long it would take to get profit in place.

Delany got New York City, Maryland, New Jersey and Washington D.C.. I'm thinking the plan for Delany isn't to get the ACC schools like Virginia and North Carolina right now, but to create a footprint from Omaha to Austin, Texas.

Texas has many of the fastest growing counties in the nation and there are a lot of people living in Texas that grew up in the Midwest.

It would not surprise me if the 19th and 20th member of the B1G come at a later time. Delany got his expansion into some o f the largest markets in the nation by getting Maryland and Rutgers. Is it urgent to get Virginia right now when there is no threat of the SEC getting Virginia either? No. Is there a potential threat of the SEC grabbing some of the western footprint if the Big 12 schools leave? Yes.

I'm thinking Delany is going back to his 2010 plan with some adjustments - Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, I think Delany wants people to think he is after the ACC schools but is in fact planning for a major haul of schools out of the Big 12 to complete a major population and geographic grab on the western side of the B1G.

A lot of people talk about getting the ACC schools, which would be terrific, but back in 2010 Delany tried to get the Big 12 schools before he went to the ACC schools.

In 2010 Delany was after Iowa State, A&M, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma as a group. They all would have gone to the B1G but there were some issues about how long it would take to get profit in place.

Delany got New York City, Maryland, New Jersey and Washington D.C.. I'm thinking the plan for Delany isn't to get the ACC schools like Virginia and North Carolina right now, but to create a footprint from Omaha to Austin, Texas.

Texas has many of the fastest growing counties in the nation and there are a lot of people living in Texas that grew up in the Midwest.

It would not surprise me if the 19th and 20th member of the B1G come at a later time. Delany got his expansion into some o f the largest markets in the nation by getting Maryland and Rutgers. Is it urgent to get Virginia right now when there is no threat of the SEC getting Virginia either? No. Is there a potential threat of the SEC grabbing some of the western footprint if the Big 12 schools leave? Yes.

I'm thinking Delany is going back to his 2010 plan with some adjustments - Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.

The CSNBBS board is to your left

pj

Reaction Score

Most unlikely. Missouri is tied to the SEC. Texas is tied to ESPN via LHN and ESPN and the B1G are at war. Kansas and Oklahoma are attractive from a sports fan perspective but not that valuable academically or market/$ wise. The B1G has generally not allowed sporting excellence, which Kansas and Oklahoma have in spades, to trump academics and dollars, which they lack. The exception was Nebraska, whose addition I think they may regret.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the Big Ten wanted Florida State, the Big Ten would already have Florida State. If they wanted Missouri, they would already have Missouri. They don't need the second fiddle in Florida or Missouri or any of the mom and pop Big 12 shops in flyover land.

Biggest fish out there for the Big Ten when all the GOR's expire is North Carolina and Virginia. I'm sure they'll wave $50M a year in front of those two and see what happens. The rest are scrapple.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There will be no movement from any GOR conference prior to 2024.

There is no shake up on the horizon that will help UConn. UConn has to help itself.

Reaction Score

There is no shake up on the horizon that will help UConn. UConn has to help itself.

I disagree with your statement. It all comes down to money. How much money are you willing to forgo in the short term and how much you are willing to pay to move to another conference. Let's look at GORs (and not focus on exit penalties).

Let's assume that all GORs are rock solid in the Big 12 and the ACC. If you are a Big 12 team, you currently hold your tier 3 rights. If you are an ACC team, you do not hold your tier 3 rights. Notre Dame holds their football media rights.

Thus, if you are a Big 12 team, you can leave the conference by giving up the revenues for basically your home football and basketball tier 1 and tier 2 games. This amounts to less than half of your annual conference payout.

Let's say Oklahoma is getting a conference payout (including bowls, NCAA tourney credits, etc.) of $30 million per year from the Big 12 and they are making $6 million per year from their tier 3 rights. The SEC or Big 10 could offer them $25 million per year in conference payouts including tier 3 rights (lower than full members) until their GOR expires from the Big 12 as the new conference would not have the rights to most of Oklahoma's home football and basketball games. Would Oklahoma take the short term pay cut? Most likely to find a LT home for their school.

For ACC schools, the math is more difficult as they don't own their tier 3 rights. Still, it all comes down to money. Would a school like FSU accept a lower payout in the short term to move to what they consider a more permanent conference? Sure. If FSU asked alums/boosters/sponsors to raise $50 million+ to make up a loss of revenue to move to the SEC, do you think they could raise it? Absolutely.

Finally, Notre Dame is a wild card. They could decide to join the ACC for all sports. Or, they could exit the ACC with minimal pain as they receive a reduced conference payout and own their football rights. Sure, Notre Dame probably has some contractual responsibilities to the ACC, but they could gradually move to a new conference ahead of time.

By the way, even if no school challenges a GORs, announced conference movement will start at least 3 years before GORs expire. By 2020 or 2021, conferences will be looking to add years to their media contracts to keep their conference together. If a conference extends their media rights early, it will signal that their conference is strong for the long term. No school is going to wait until the actual date GORs expire to announce they are moving to a new conference in the future.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Watch and see which conferences renew their GORs first. Maybe someone will start talking seriously to other conferences with a year or so left at the end of the term. If it makes sense they could forfeit their rights for one year, pay an exit fee, and get paid on the other end. This of course assumes B1G and SEC are still making bank when their contracts come up in the mid 2020s.

Reaction Score
The door would definitely open up to the ACC.

As for the Big Ten, it all depends on what is happening in the Plains. Oklahoma is screaming for an exit. Not sure if that is the start of the dissolution of the Big 12.

A grassroots movement to remove OU from the Big 12

Old Boneyard visitor Cleanface goes to bat for UConn here:
CR Part ))XII((: Conference Hospice & Realignment Speculation - Page 22

Hey now! Good seeing you over there in the LT dust-bowl Seaa Blue. I can't believe people are throwing Mizzou back into the B1G mix, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the lunacy of the CR interwebz vortex.

CR sure is fun (not really). I think I've had my fill for this go-round. Seems like the dust has settled for a while.

If the B1G goes to 18, which is the topic being addressed in that section of the thread, I sure hope UCONN is added before the likes of freaking Mizzou.

Reaction Score
Hey now! Good seeing you over there in the LT dust-bowl Seaa Blue. I can't believe people are throwing Mizzou back into the B1G mix, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the lunacy of the CR interwebz vortex.

CR sure is fun (not really). I think I've had my fill for this go-round. Seems like the dust has settled for a while.

If the B1G goes to 18, which is the topic being addressed in that section of the thread, I sure hope UCONN is added before the likes of freaking Mizzou.

There's always going to be some affinity for reuniting the old Big 8 Schools among fans in the plains states. Especially on a board like LT(I lurk), where you get a mix of fans from these schools including KU. While I think Mizzou has a little more value than you do, I agree that they bring far less to the table than UCONN. AAU or not. I've seen your desired conference and it looks pretty good, but despite what some believe about UNC's perception in B1G Circles I still believe that Delany lusts after The Tarheels and The Wahoos. I believe he would love nothing more than to sign a massive TV Deal including those 2 schools at the end of this contract. I believe he wants that to be his legacy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
North Carolina is the perfect candidate:

Academics, state demographics, wide support for the school in a big state, fertile recruiting grounds, massive amounts of cable
boxes, athletic success, national interest.

They are the shiniest apple on the CR tree.

CL82

Reaction Score
North Carolina is the perfect candidate:

Academics, state demographics, wide support for the school in a big state, fertile recruiting grounds, massive amounts of cable
boxes, athletic success, national interest.

They are the shiniest apple on the CR tree.
Well except for their woman's basketball program, who, apparently, masterminded an incredibly nefarious scheme of academic fraud that fooled the AD, and school president. Thankfully the men's basketball program wasn't sucked into their evil vortex and football was effected only tangentially.

(At least that's their story and so far they managed to stick with it. )

Reaction Score
Well except for their woman's basketball program, who, apparently, masterminded an incredibly nefarious scheme of academic fraud that fooled the AD, and school president. Thankfully the men's basketball program wasn't sucked into their evil vortex and football was effected only tangentially.

(At least that's their story and so far they managed to stick with it. )
LOL. Blame it on the girls.

Reaction Score
There is little doubt the gor is enforceable but so what? If Florida State or UNC or anyone else wants to leave they'll leave and work out a financial settlement. The alternative is not going to be feasible for anyone. And further the guys with ultimate power to "enforce" the presidents, will want to keep their own options open in case a better deal comes for their school. It is in everyone's interests ultimately to keep the door closed but unlocked. Add to that that a GOR is limited to rights you own. You could make your move in a context where you don't own your away game rights so it limits the damage. Finally it nobody is really going to want to test the gor. If it goes to court it will it be any sure thing. Simple example: does a public university have authority to grant it's rights without legislative approval? That actually may vary by state and even by institution. UNC has a vastly different charter than NC State just for instance. I've been told that UConn probably would need legislation to do it since it is a state "right". Not a university's. In any case it won't stop schools from leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom