Frozen Fenway - 1/14/17 vs Maine (Alert - Time change) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Frozen Fenway - 1/14/17 vs Maine (Alert - Time change)

Reaction Score
Even though the Whale Bowl at the Rent was a disaster (thanks mostly to the frigid cold), at least the fans that showed were close to the rink. These sightlines at Fenway are horrible.

15873097_1254244104704306_8157515393660910916_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Yep, Fenway is quite possibly the single worst place to put a hockey rink. Anything in the section below the first concourse up from the field there cannot see any part of the ice surface. The middle section of red is slightly better, and the green are the "best" seats in the lower bowl, though you're at best 100-150 feet from the closest portion of the rink. The upper sections are significantly better, but they cost an arm and a leg and there's only a few thousand of them. Never mind the outfield grandstand which has seats looking in the wrong direction and can't see anything. Just a downright horrible venue for hockey, yet Hockey East keeps shoving this down our throats. Godspeed to any of you who show up tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Yep, Fenway is quite possibly the single worst place to put a hockey rink. Anything in the section below the first concourse up from the field there cannot see any part of the ice surface. The middle section of red is slightly better, and the green are the "best" seats in the lower bowl, though you're at best 100-150 feet from the closest portion of the rink. The upper sections are significantly better, but they cost an arm and a leg and there's only a few thousand of them. Never mind the outfield grandstand which has seats looking in the wrong direction and can't see anything. Just a downright horrible venue for hockey, yet Hockey East keeps shoving this down our throats. Godspeed to any of you who show up tomorrow.
Do they sell the seats on top of the Monster for the hockey games?

Reaction Score
Do they sell the seats on top of the Monster for the hockey games?
They have in the past, I don't know for sure if there are for these but I'd imagine so. The view up there would be pretty decent, though far. Still only ~250 up there in total.

Reaction Score
They have in the past, I don't know for sure if there are for these but I'd imagine so. The view up there would be pretty decent, though far. Still only ~250 up there in total.
I think it would be a neat view of the game...I'd want the ones on the foul pole side though

Reaction Score
Game is on NESEN+...if you have FIOS in Westchester/Fairfield County it's Channel 97. I expect similar channel for NYC/LI

Reaction Score
Sun conditions suck. 1/2 sun 1/2 shade for huska. No issues for maine goalie.

Reaction Score
Does it look empty on tv? Not able to watch

Not exactly sure. Looks pretty even to me being there live. Hard to tell. UConn is chanting more, no doubt. Wish we had are FULL band here for this game.

Reaction Score
Wby are we wearing blues when this is supposed to be a "home" game?
We played 2 up @ Orono, they should at least play 2 as the visitors. Game at Bridgeport and this is supposed to be our home games. If so, at least make it appears as so...

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Wby are we wearing blues when this is supposed to be a "home" game?
We played 2 up @ Orono, they should at least play 2 as the visitors. Game at Bridgeport and this is supposed to be our home games. If so, at least make it appears as so...
The announcers did say we were the home team at the beginning of the game. Not sure why the blue sweaters. Maybe Cav thinks we play better in blue, because we have had some putrid home performances this season....i.e. Yale.

Reaction Score
Yeah I was really debating about doing this game, it sounds awesome in theory but I gusss the views are terrible
Exactly, Fenway is an especially bad place to host hockey because of the pitch of the seats and the layout. A football stadium is much better because the playing surface is the same shape as a rink, the seats do not come all the way down to field level, and the pitch is steeper. You're still far away in a football stadium, but at least you can see the surface. My educated guess is about 2/3 of the seats at Fenway cannot see the entire ice surface, and about 25% of them cannot see any of the ice surface.

As it is, there's maybe 8-10K in the stands if they're lucky. Not really a bad showing for either team, it was about the same for BU-UMass last week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah I was really debating about doing this game, it sounds awesome in theory but I gusss the views are terrible

In person the views are way worse, the rink is so far away from the crowd its feels like the rink is a mile away.

Reaction Score
In person the views are way worse, the rink is so far away from the crowd its feels like the rink is a mile away.
Yeah, when I went to the BU-BC game in 2010 during the Winter Classic setup I had to watch the entire game on the NHL's makeshift video screen that was placed on the wall next to the Green Monster, I couldn't see the puck on any part of the surface. As dumb as it seems, the ideal outdoor hockey venue in the area would be Alumni Stadium at BC. Very steep pitch, seats all close to the field, the first row is ~5-8 feet off the field, narrow sideline space. Of course there's no luster in playing there, but for a long time before the Winter Classic game, some had been jonesing for a match up there.

Reaction Score
how much did we get paid for this game? 1.125 million? I hope we got something for this...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom