From Lou to Eternity: The Monumental Recruiting Topic Drift Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

From Lou to Eternity: The Monumental Recruiting Topic Drift Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why hasn't this thread been locked? Just from several of the posts on this page alone things seem way over the line of appropriate. I think I've seen threads get locked for much less. Am I wrong?

JS

Reaction Score
Why hasn't this thread been locked? Just from several of the posts on this page alone things seem way over the line of appropriate. I think I've seen threads get locked for much less. Am I wrong?
You'd have to be specific as to what's over the line in your opinion and why. That's best done by private message to HuskyNan, Biff or me, or by the Report function, and we'll be glad to respond.

As a general comment, you're seeing direct and implied transfer talk in this thread and a certain amount of annoyance with its duration.

Couple that with repeated assertions of a conundrum -- that future recruiting may be hurt by the recruitment of a particular outstanding player -- and the posited establishment of a reputation for "recruiting over" -- and you have a formula for tension.

To clarify, the board has a strict rule against transfer talk that names a specific player or players who have not announced an intention to transfer. The rule doesn't cover generalized transfer talk, and there's the rub. Many here don't like it, whether it's within the rules or not.

They especially are not going to like it if it goes on and on in multiple threads, largely spurred by one poster with great energy for the subject. For those who don't like it, think endless fingernails on the blackboard.

So the annoyance with that is coming out, but neither the discussion nor the response has, to this point, struck us as being over the line.

Reaction Score
You are right, doesn't look like I can get through to Slu.

On a board like this we like to banter around our opinions and try to accept others. Most people in this thread are trying express the plusses and minuses of overstocking talent using AD as an example. But the discussion seems to have turned into arguments, ad nauseum. You seem frustrated apparently because you are trying to change someone's opinion or perspective. That may not be an achievable goal.

Reaction Score
There is no answer other than stopping when you think you have enough. And for those who think the answer is to fill up with as much talent as you can and let things sort themselves out, how come Geno doesn't max the roster out to 15 every year then? The staff stops recruiting when they feel they have enough.

Is it a huge deal that'll be a problem in the upcoming years? Hard to know for sure, but there will without question be a minutes crunch. Again, unless there are disastrous injury issues.

On the one hand, you seem to feel that Geno should stop recruiting Durr because it may lead to previously committed top talent transferring down the road or impacting future recruits who may fear being recruited over with better talent. But on the other hand, you are defending Geno and the staff for not maxing out the scholarships by stopping recruiting when they feel they have enough.

Based on your above bolded statement...are you now saying that the fact that Geno and staff has not stopped recruiting Durr is an indication that he does not feel he has enough and is therefore okay in the ongoing recruitment of top talent??

So confused...:confused:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I find this all so interesting.
First - there is the idea that Geno chooses his team - recruiting is really tough business and the reality is 17 years olds choose the team by deciding which school they will attend and 19-21 year olds choose by deciding to transfer, and dumb luck decides when injuries occur. He certainly didn't choose to have just one player join last year, and until this spring had no idea BB would decide to transfer, and certainly didn't want to lose Tuck for a year. This coming freshman class is great but if he had a choice in the matter he would probably gladly trade any one of his wing/guards for a forward/post player of comparable talent, but that didn't happen because of the choices made by 17 year olds.
Second - I love this incoming class, but none of the folks ranking HS talent is overly thrilled about any of them - the highest ranked in HG is Willimas who is coming off her second ACL and I believe is #14. With the brilliant coaching staff at Uconn I am sure they will all be drafted in the top 6 when they graduate :)rolleyes:) but I don't think that is guaranteed. One need not look back that far to see players like McLaren who never got to 20mpg in any of her 4 years, but was still very successful and appeared to enjoy her four years. And Stokes hasn't had an easy time on the court but ... The idea that everyone has to get 30 minutes a game to be happy is foolish - that they want to play that much is a given, but that they need that from freshman year forward ...
Third - that the same issues do not exist on every contending team. If you are serious about contending for NCs you are going to go to a team that has a lot of talented players, and you better hope that they continue to recruit talent as good as you or better during your four years. And that if you are not making huge strides, someone else will be taking minutes away from you. If those are not your expectations, then you will probably not compete for NCs (and probably will not end up very successfully in any chosen career path.)
Fourth - The benefits of playing and learning at Uconn for select players are great - Ketia Swanier for example averaged under 20 minutes per game in her career and yet had a much longer WNBA career than many higher ranked players who played 30+ minutes a game at other schools. It isn't just minutes per game, but what you learn and accomplish in those minutes and in the comparable hours of practice.

I have no idea who will or will not come to Uconn of the players being recruited, but if minutes and competition for playing time is the major consideration, they probably aren't being offered scholarships to start with.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
cat thread.jpg

JS

Reaction Score
cat-thread-jpg.6161

Nobody's making hay with the original thread topic, but we might do a straw poll on what the topic now is.

I guess everybody's looking to find out. Gonna hit 35,000 views within hours.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nobody's making hay with the original thread topic, but we might do a straw poll on what the topic now is.

I guess everybody's looking to find out. Gonna hit 35,000 views within hours.

I kept seeing this thread at the top of the page and was
scratch.gif
about why this thread had gotten so long....over a recruit who committed a month ago.... i'll have to play catch up

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
It's important to distinguish a few questions.

Should Geno continue to recruit Durr? Absolutely. She would significantly enhance UConn's future prospects, and recruiting her violates no commitments he made to other recruits.

If as fans our bottom line is NCs should we hope that Durr comes aboard? Again, yes without a doubt.

Can Geno add Durr to the mix without creating serious challenges in maaging minutes and keeping everyone happy? No, not possible. Yes, happens, injuries, etc. But the 2015-16 is stacked with guys that will deserve serious minutes. In order to project depth in out years I often go through the roster and ask how many minutes would each person typically get in a competitive game playing for a championship quality team. If it adds up to much less than 250, I get a little nervous, cuz happens. On average about 20% of the minutes usually goes away due to injuries, transfers, Geno's doghouse, etc. Hence the need for at least 250. Over 270 and we're pretty deep. I performed the exercise for the 15-16 roster and came up with 315! Add in Durr and you're at something like 345! Even if you lost 25% of those minutes somehow, someone or someones are getting squeezed in a big way for playing time. I for one would welcome it but there's no denying the (hypothetical) challenge.

If Durr says I am coming,then Connecticut will take her.You never,ever have too much talent.
As far as minutes go,there is and always has been two staunch rules at Connecticut.Work hard and play by the system.There are times even the best can sit,because of less effort in practice,or fluctuating from the game plan presented.
This gives others a chance for minutes,to step up and move forward.
There is also a strong chance throughout the season of injuries,sickness,etc., which gives others a chance to play.

The most important part of Connecticut basketball,is team first.There is not a person presently on the team,or coming to the team,who will not understand this.
All the girls have and will have this planted into their mind. Those that understand this,get minutes,and those that do not,will probably not.I am confident,under any circumstance,that everyone who plays by this system,and gives full effort,will find minutes in the games,some games a little less and some games a little more.
As these young ladies enter their junior and senior years,they will enjoy more minutes,as long as they conform to the system in place.
`

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Save yourself the time...not worth the effort. :rolleyes:

Have been ignoring this one since it got to about page 6. Came back to it today and read from p12 on...right you are!! (IMO...)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Brilliant thread title edit.... From Lou to Eternity. I can foresee a movie...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Now if we can just get Biff to edit this and change "From Here" to "From Lou"...!!

MV5BMTI5MDk2ODc2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQ2NDE5._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Although on second thought, maybe some might read into the photo of Burt and Deborah kissing so maybe this would be a better one?

here_to_eternity.jpg

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I believe Durr is coming. I read somewhere was a post on the Georgia board by tyree that Durr was all about UConn. I also read a while back somewhere she was all UConn. So if she comes we deal with it and if she doesnt come we deal with it. Either way we have a roster that on paper says we're going to the next 5 FFs and no other team can say that. So for those who want to guarantee them self a trip to the FF come to UConn and those who want to guarantee them self of most likely not going dont come to UConn but either way we're going. When you think of the top players that didnt come to UConn over the years and UConn continues to go to FF after FF and win NCs you've gotta wonder why.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Based on your above bolded statement...are you now saying that the fact that Geno and staff has not stopped recruiting Durr is an indication that he does not feel he has enough and is therefore okay in the ongoing recruitment of top talent??

So confused...:confused:

First, I didn't say he SHOULDN'T go after Durr. I think it's complicated. She's a great talent who normally you'd love to have. What I am saying is that if you get her you're going to have to live with multiple players leaving, and also that the message sent to future recruits MIGHT to problematic. Now, maybe they won't pay any attention. We are talking about 14-17 year-olds, after all.

Second, I believe the situation is unique which is where I and others seem to differ. Usually, the coaching staff WOULD stop at some point. Perhaps due to the fact that it's Durr they are willing to make a special exception. Then again, for all we know they might be looking at more than her. I just find it odd that they don't seem to care about what a logjam of good players they're going to have. In a lot of ways it's a great headache to have, but it's still a headache.

Reaction Score
"Somebody tell a joke." Do you remember what movie this quote came from?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
On a board like this we like to banter around our opinions and try to accept others. Most people in this thread are trying express the plusses and minuses of overstocking talent using AD as an example. But the discussion seems to have turned into arguments, ad nauseum. You seem frustrated apparently because you are trying to change someone's opinion or perspective. That may not be an achievable goal.
Not really. Just trying to show him what he said was incorrect. Not really an opinion thing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not really. Just trying to show him what he said was incorrect. Not really an opinion thing.

You threw everything but the kitchen sink out and I pointed out specifically how at least four of those sink items didn't fit. So if I'm wrong to some extent, so are you.

Reaction Score
First, I didn't say he SHOULDN'T go after Durr. I think it's complicated. She's a great talent who normally you'd love to have. What I am saying is that if you get her you're going to have to live with multiple players leaving, and also that the message sent to future recruits MIGHT to problematic. Now, maybe they won't pay any attention. We are talking about 14-17 year-olds, after all.

Second, I believe the situation is unique which is where I and others seem to differ. Usually, the coaching staff WOULD stop at some point. Perhaps due to the fact that it's Durr they are willing to make a special exception. Then again, for all we know they might be looking at more than her. I just find it odd that they don't seem to care about what a logjam of good players they're going to have. In a lot of ways it's a great headache to have, but it's still a headache.

I just find it odd that they don't seem to care about what a logjam of good players they're going to have.

This is the part I’m having a problem with. We might lsoe three players after 201-5-2016 graduation, right?
Gabby’s knees are questionable, right?

So how many scholarship does it leave us if the three leave in 201-5-2016 season and if Gabby goes down or doesn’t return to her form? These are real possibilities, aren't they?

Now you seem pretty sure KLS and NC are very, very good and you are high on NB too. But are you also assured that Kia Nurse will be stellar at the pg combined with that the pg position is her natural position (if Kia Nurse's best position is the sg or sf imo there is no way we should "sacrfice her" to play pg large amounts of time if we can help it. She should have the right to play to her strenghts, right?) ? It's okay if you do.

I value your opinion. Just interested in your thoughts - because you are one of the posters that seems to think we're set. So you have seen Kia Nurse and what is your evalaution of her as a pg, sg and sf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom