From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD | Page 10 | The Boneyard

From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The more I read about Frazier, the more I like him. Football guy with hockey roots, B1G connections, and from the northeast. I also like that his NIU student athletes rank highly in the MAC academic standings (grad rate, GPA, etc). He's made some pretty impressive expansion upgrades to NIU facilities and has scheduled very well for the NIU football program (something we desperately need). The fact that he was a finalist at BC and RU says to me that he's more than interested in working in the northeast corridor.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Warde is pulling down about $500K/yr at UConn, in line with many P5 AD jobs. Assuming we stay in the same comp scale, I think that would be enough to lure Frazier (or anyone) to UConn. I can't find anything about Frazier's salary at NIU, but they paid their previous AD about $280K/yr. I'm guessing they didn't go too much more north of that with Frazier.

Reaction Score
Aman at rivals is saying its Manuel's job to lose and he expect Warde to be the next guy from people he has talked to connected to both UConn and Michigan

Reaction Score
Aman at rivals is saying its Manuel's job to lose and he expect Warde to be the next guy from people he has talked to connected to both UConn and Michigan
it would be kind of funny is Jurich came out of nowhere and was hired at Michigan, and at his presser made the comment "Warde wasn't penciled in, he was written in pen... and I go the job"

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson waking up and freaking out about their football status held the whole ACC hostage. Maryland leaving was a such a shock to the system.

Louisville Community College was added out of fear, not really deliberate strategic thinking.

This pretty much describes EVERY move the ACC made... the B1G on the other hand is the very antithesis of this. Every move was deliberate and strategic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
it would be kind of funny is Jurich came out of nowhere and was hired at Michigan, and at his presser made the comment "Warde wasn't penciled in, he was written in pen... and I go the job"
Lol, too funny!

pj

Reaction Score

Warde is monitoring the situation and won't be surprised.

CL82

Reaction Score
Warde is monitoring the situation and won't be surprised.
"What can you do? You make yourself as attractive as possible to another university, but it the end you can't just walk in and become the AD. You have to be invited. So I will continue to make myself an attractive candidate as possible and in the meantime, I will continue to monitor Monster.com."

Reaction Score
Do people think it was easy to get Cuse and BC off their ivory towers to play a football series with us? The marketing is the best it's been since "That's what I like about U-Conn" was released. Getting into Hockey East was easy with QU in our backyard? Those complaining about KOs interim title, would you have rather he gave the reigns of our MBB team to a guy who had never been a head coach and had only 2 years as an assistant under his belt without having him prove himself? Or taken Stevens before he left for the NBA after 2 years? Or Smart before he bolted for Texas?

Bob Diaco hire may go down like the JC or Geno hired too soon to tell but how many of you thought he would get us back to a bowl this soon?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Do people think it was easy to get Cuse and BC off their ivory towers to play a football series with us? The marketing is the best it's been since "That's what I like about U-Conn" was released. Getting into Hockey East was easy with QU in our backyard? Those complaining about KOs interim title, would you have rather he gave the reigns of our MBB team to a guy who had never been a head coach and had only 2 years as an assistant under his belt without having him prove himself? Or taken Stevens before he left for the NBA after 2 years? Or Smart before he bolted for Texas?

Bob Diaco hire may go down like the JC or Geno hired too soon to tell but how many of you thought he would get us back to a bowl this soon?
...but donuts.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The rules are the same for any replacement. Someone with major program football experience with ties to the B1G. It would be nice if they also ran their own AD at some point. Would consider ties to the ACC or B12 as a substitute for the tight candidate.

UCONN connection is so far down on the list that it isn't a consideration in my mind.

We hired exactly what we needed in Wade and we should follow the same plan if possible. The USVI meme is afunny boneyard shenanigan, but not relevant in a serious discussion of the AD succession.

Reaction Score
I think @ZooCougar, nailed it earlier in the thread when called Warde being in the US VIRGIN, bad optics after Jurich came out and said he went door to door to beg for UL'S inclusion. A small part of me will always resent that, but Warde hadn't been here long enough to know his way around campus at that point. Warde overall has done a great job here getting facilities built or started that will make us the most attractive G5 school in the event of more expansion in the P5.

The next AD hired needs to understand that getting to in a P5 league ASAP, is his biggest overall responsibility. I'm sure this will be conveyed during the interview process.

Reaction Score
I think @ZooCougar, nailed it earlier in the thread when called Warde being in the US VIRGIN, bad optics after Jurich came out and said he went door to door to beg for UL'S inclusion. A small part of me will always resent that, but Warde hadn't been here long enough to know his way around campus at that point. Warde overall has done a great job here getting facilities built or started that will make us the most attractive G5 school in the event of more expansion in the P5.

The next AD hired needs to understand that getting to in a P5 league ASAP, is his biggest overall responsibility. I'm sure this will be conveyed during the interview process.

That's why I want Pernetti or someone like him. We can't afford some up and comer from Sienna or Buffalo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's why I want Pernetti or someone like him. We can't afford some up and comer from Sienna or Buffalo.

Unless the up and comer has the world's best name recognition and is viewed as the second coming. Not sure such a person exists. Connections and perception matter as much as competent management at this point.

CL82

Reaction Score

Would you take a job that your main responsibility is something that you have virtually no control over?

Reaction Score
Would you take a job that your main responsibility is something that you have virtually no control over?
You believe that, I dont. Jurich sold his president on how crucial that ACC invite was, not the other way around. Athletic directors and their connections matter. Pernetti gets the credit for RU, but most of the heavy lifting there was done by his predecessor Bob Mulcahy. Pernetti just had to pick up the phone when the call came in.

CL82

Reaction Score
You believe that, I dont. Jurich sold his president on how crucial that ACC invite was, not the other way around. Athletic directors and their connections matter. Pernetti gets the credit for RU, but most of the heavy lifting there was done by his predecessor Bob Mulcahy. Pernetti just had to pick up the phone when the call came in.
So which candidate has an invite in his back pocket, because I'm all in on hiring the guy, if you can find him.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I want an ambitious AD to replace Warde, someone like Hollis at MSU, where scheduling big time games is not an issue. UConn needs a national schedule and they should not turn down any opportunity to play a big time opponent. Look at how much MSU has taken off since Hollis has gone into overdrive.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't think Frazier is a "up and comer"..Jim Delaney told RU to hire him as Pernetti's replacement. If it comes down to a final 2 of Frazier and Pernetti to me UConn wins.

I think Frazier is a guy that could help seal the deal for us. B1G connections, Delany likes him, has an impeccable resume, focus on football and football scheduling, can raise funds, good academic standings from his teams, and from the northeast so he understands the climate and culture. I would say that I'd offer him the job over Pernetti.

Reaction Score
So which candidate has an invite in his back pocket, because I'm all in on hiring the guy, if you can find him.
I don't think no one has an invite in their pocket, I just don't believe an AD is helpless or worthless toward that aim.

Reaction Score
Unless the up and comer has the world's best name recognition and is viewed as the second coming. Not sure such a person exists. Connections and perception matter as much as competent management at this point.

If you have the world's best name recognition then you are no longer an up and comer. You've arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom