Fox, Big Ten Closing In On Media Rights Agreement (Sports Business Daily) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fox, Big Ten Closing In On Media Rights Agreement (Sports Business Daily)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Your Big Ten invite has been printed. Just waiting to be mailed.

Hang in there.
I keep thinking we're way too prestigious a school (and market) to be left behind.

Our athletic department is very reputable, obviously.

Reaction Score
On a long enough timeline all the top football schools not on the west coast will end up in the SEC and B1G and the ACC will have backfilled the vacancies with the likes of UConn/Cincy/UCF

At the end of the day we'll be right back where we started with better basketball.

And that's fine with me. This crap is getting really boring.

Reaction Score
There will be a few super conferences. The new game will become getting into one of those. I wouldn't panic just yet. We offer big market access and even the SEC needs to gain ground on the Big Ten. You never know what will happen. We need to win, keep beating the 6thburrough drum. I hope our new AD with B1G and SEC experience and a history of strong intellect was brought in for specific reasons in regard to the end game. Possibly evening offering Susan Herbst some insight into what the end game is during the interview process. (I've heard this is the case)

Reaction Score
I still contend that Uconn is still very well positioned and that further movement will happen much sooner than later. Only two things in my mind would kill UConns chances. 1. The Big 12 expanded with Cincy and Byu. 2. ESPN locked up the B1g. Neither has happened. So the more time I have to digest yesterday's news, the better I think it was for Uconn. I doubt the schools and networks left out of yesterday's announcement will roll over and play dead. Things are just starting, not ending! Pull up a chair and enjoy the ride. My guess now is ESPN ponies up more money to lock in the acc, gives nd a sweetheart deal to be a permanent member and adds uconn. Both ESPN and the acc need nyc more than ever. There is only one way to get it.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Will the B1G and Fox will want more east coast to compete with ACC/ESPN? If so, unless the rumors of a mass exodus from ACC are true, the B1G may have to pry at least one ACC school out to get the ball rolling and get some prisoner dilemma mojo working in their favor. I can see the B1G/Fox agreeing to cover the exit liability/litigation expenses for one ACC school (especially if FSU) but do they take the risk of covering exit liability of two exiting ACC schools? Or do they find a cheap date/partner for the ACC school now to (i) mitigate their financial exposure, (ii) fortify east coast basketball content and add a worthy east coast rival for UMD, (iii) get the undisputed greatest WBB basketball brand in the world (iv) pick up good hockey, soccer, baseball, lacrosse and other Olympic sports and (v) scare the sheet out of the remaining ACC schools that will be left picking their a$$es looking for tier 3 rights?

I recognize that this is a frucking made up scenario - sorry- its how I cope. Please please please please please please please please please please please please please - let something like this or B12 or something be happening. PLEASE! *Also please support my unofficial sponsor: Don Julio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

pj

Reaction Score
I still contend that Uconn is still very well positioned and that further movement will happen much sooner than later. Only two things in my mind would kill UConns chances. 1. The Big 12 expanded with Cincy and Byu. 2. ESPN locked up the B1g. Neither has happened. So the more time I have to digest yesterday's news, the better I think it was for Uconn. I doubt the schools and networks left out of yesterday's announcement will roll over and play dead. Things are just starting, not ending! Pull up a chair and enjoy the ride. My guess now is ESPN ponies up more money to lock in the acc, gives nd a sweetheart deal to be a permanent member and adds uconn. Both ESPN and the acc need nyc more than ever. There is only one way to get it.

I agree with most of this but I think ESPN also has the goal of locking up Texas long-term while migrating the failed Longhorn Network to a more profitable network model, while not paying up to 7 B12 schools that bring little in terms of market or revenue. So I think ESPN will try to solve several problems at once by creating an ACC - ND - Texas (maybe Oklahoma+Kansas too) network. UConn could be a part of that. They may also have an opportunity to work with the Pac, whose network has not been as profitable as hoped, partly because they lack eastern distribution.

I am also suspicious of the numbers thrown out for the B1G-Fox deal. I suspect the headline numbers are a maximum rather than a guaranteed payout, and the B1G has to hit various metrics to get those numbers. I suspect this was a friendly Fox-B1G deal designed to generate an impression that B1G content is more valuable than it is and put pressure on ESPN, CBS, NBC, etc to offer bigger bids on the second half. Fox is a B1G partner via BTN and could easily help them out by structuring the Tier 1 deal to permit these terrific headlines, without changing its expected payout much.

I don't think ESPN rolls over for the B1G and I bet the money differential between conferences will be less than current buzz anticipates.

And I think we're seeing a Fox vs ESPN competition with the northeast, ND, and Texas as major dominoes yet to fall. UConn as the lone available northeast property that moves the needle is likely to get picked up in that competition.

Reaction Score
Awful Announcing Take:Big Ten schools will see media revenues skyrocket thanks to new TV deal

>>Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany’s threat that the conference could move to Division III if forced to pay players looks even more laughable now, and college sports leaders must answer where all of that money is going if not to the athletes.

Many costs in college football are fixed, and schools aren’t adding legitimate expenses — like new sports — to keep up with that kind of revenue. It’s impossible for a Big Ten school to claim that it legitimately needs $25 million more in 2018 than it did in 2015 in order to survive.

Since Big Ten schools are nonprofits, they are not allowed to make a profit, which is much harder to accomplish or to justify with tens of millions of additional television revenue coming to the universities. Therefore, they will find ways to spend that money lavishly, like on coaching salaries, administrative pay and shiny new facilities, to make it look like they still run a deficit.

Most significantly, nearing a $30 million bump in revenue, can these schools and conferences continue to implement a system where the athletes themselves aren’t able to attain a share of the massive increase in wealth?<<

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see what kind of an effect this has on Big East ratings. In theory, ratings should probably more than double from the small pittance audience numbers they have drawn the last few years. If it doesn't, then that will say ALOT about Big East basketball in its current state.

Reaction Score
To a lesser extent, CUSA is a loser in this also. Had games on FSN all of last year and can't imagine FOX being interested in their rights again after this

Yeah... that was noted in the article above from Matt Sarzyniak. The bumping down the cable/satellite box will be something to watch

Reaction Score
A University of Indiana football game is worth about 50x what a UConn game is worth.
What is this University of Indiana you speak of? Is it near Indiana University? On a second note, when making a negative point about a B1G school/team try using Purdue it's much more amusing.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What is this University of Indiana you speak of? Is it near Indiana University? On a second note, when making a negative point about a B1G school/team try using Purdue it's much more amusing.

Purdue or Perdue? Somewhere in here, there is a chicken joke to be made.

Reaction Score
I've always like the Perdue

Perdue: French: meaning lost, past participle of perdre < Latin perdere to lose

Reaction Score
Purdue may not be top sports program; but, the University did generate close to $400 million in research grants in 2014, which puts them in the top 20 nationally depending on which rating system is used. While such a number is not important to the XII and SEC, that is a major point in their favor within the B1G.

Reaction Score
Purdue may not be top sports program; but, the University did generate close to $400 million in research grants in 2014, which puts them in the top 20 nationally depending on which rating system is used. While such a number is not important to the XII and SEC, that is a major point in their favor within the B1G.
I know, I know the B1G would never drop PU...they are a great school and all that. But come on and let a Hoosier have a dream will ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom