Four Special Admirers of the Streak!!! | The Boneyard

Four Special Admirers of the Streak!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmmmm given the choice, I wonder if the 2017 recruits would rather continue the streak or start one of their own???

Reaction Score
A really good article of those 4:

r170146_2_800x450_16-9.jpg

Reaction Score
Great article: thanks! It's so great getting all this info on these high school seniors, in preparation for watching them mature and excel over the next 4 years.

"Walker, who listed Notre Dame and Texas as her other finalists, said playing with girls she was comfortable with "sealed the deal." The other big factor, she said, was the Connecticut coaching staff that has orchestrated this historic streak. "I know," Walker said, "that playing for Coach [Geno] Auriemma will help me."

uh, yeah.... (and also vice-versa).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hmmmm given the choice, I wonder if the 2017 recruits would rather continue the streak or start one of their own???

Of course, they will not admit it but I am pretty sure they would want as a group to start a new winning streak. Human Nature.

If we push this idea even further, I would even guess that they would probably not want UConn to win the 5th NC in a row this season
and would prefer to start a new run of 4 NC's under their watch aka Stewart, Tuck, Mo

Pushing this point even more, I submit that since most sane people (not UConn fans) thought 2016 may be a step back to recoup actually helped in their decision to come here. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Who wants to start something they can't finish? And besides, if they continue it, they'll be setting a new record with every consecutive victory. :cool:

Wouldn't that be nice! :)

Sure it is 'nice' but they will not feel that they are responsible. Why cant they finish?

The possibility of doing 4 NC's on their watch after we failed to get it the previous year is probably
the pinnacle for them (not us perhaps). Maybe this is a question that might be put to a poll but I suspect to many BY'rs will
feel too conflicted to be objective.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Of course, they will not admit it but I am pretty sure they would want as a group to start a new winning streak. Human Nature.

If we push this idea even further, I would even guess that they would probably not want UConn to win the 5th NC in a row this season
and would prefer to start a new run of 4 NC's under their watch aka Stewart, Tuck, Mo

Pushing this point even more, I submit that since most sane people (not UConn fans) thought 2016 may be a step back to recoup actually helped in their decision to come here. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I don't know - doing four in a row would just be matching a current record while being involved say in five, six, ... in a row would be extending the bar and getting into and maybe past UCLA standards. Same with extending a streak into unfathomable ranges, vs. starting from scratch again.

And I am not sure about the recruiting aspect either - none of these ladies seem to be caught up in 'I want to be a trail blazer' kind of stuff - more 'I want to win every game I play and get pushed to new heights', and 'I want to see just how far I can get.'

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love the fact that the current streak is shared by multiple classes with no clear ownership like the previous streak, which often is described as belonging to Maya and her supporting cast. It would be fantastic if the streak can be passed on to next year's class, then to Charli Collier's class, maybe Samantha Brunnelle's class.....................

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
2017 doesn't start "their watch". 2017 starts their initiation. 2017/18 belongs to some other Huskies I'm thinking.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I love the fact that the current streak is shared by multiple classes with no clear ownership like the previous streak, which often is described as belonging to Maya and her supporting cast. It would be fantastic if the streak can be passed on to next year's class, then to Charli Collier's class, maybe Samantha Brunnelle's class......

Of course it is a no brainer to the fans and I am sure it is attractive to the 2017 class as well to push the limits of the programs accomplishments
to unbelievable new heights like a never breaking spiders web.

Still, there is usually some piece of us that wants to feel like they made a measurable difference

You are probably right. They do seem incredibly selfless.

Just shows that I am just not cut out to be a selfless team player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Who wants to start something they can't finish? And besides, if they continue it, they'll be setting a new record with every consecutive victory. :cool:

Wouldn't that be nice! :)

Why can't they finish it?
I don't know - doing four in a row would just be matching a current record while being involved say in five, six, ... in a row would be extending the bar and getting into and maybe past UCLA standards. Same with extending a streak into unfathomable ranges, vs. starting from scratch again.
4 NC's with undefeated seasons? That'd be something new. 156 in a row?? 1.000 winning %?

Reaction Score
Why can't they finish it?...
Okay, I should have taken the time to think the math through before posting. Let me try again.

Maybe we shouldn't be so limiting. Maybe they're hoping to have the opportunity to do both. :D

Now that would require 4 additional NCs, this current year, and the first three for the 17'rs.

So let's sum it up. They could end the current streak (which would be a record) at around 120+/-. Then they start a new streak that could reach anywhere from 130 to 150 ...and maybe even their 4th NC. That would be what ...8 or 9 consecutive NCs for Sir Geno, and 15 or 16 total? (and for us of course as well) :D :D :D

Everybody wins! Well, everybody that we care about. :cool: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice article. Thanks.

Here's my favorite story within the story:

All four recruits were on the Connecticut campus Sept. 16-18, (see above pic) but Walker had yet to commit at that time.

"They tried to convince me in subtle ways," Walker said. "They would make jokes, saying, 'We're waiting on this one.' But I could feel our bond. I felt that it would be great to experience college with them."

Despite that feeling, Walker didn't decide on Connecticut during her trip.

Finally, in November, Coombs was driving home from school when she got a text that made her scream with delight.

"It was from Andi," Coombs said of Espinoza-Hunter. "She said [Walker] had committed to UConn. I didn't believe her at first. But when I got home, I checked Twitter, and I saw Megan's video. I ran upstairs and told my parents."

At that point, Coombs, Gordon and Espinoza-Hunter added Walker to their group text called "UConn '17 Commits." The thread comes equipped with a blue heart and a photo of a husky dog.

"Welcome to the family" was the first text sent to Walker.

Reaction Score
I love the fact that the current streak is shared by multiple classes with no clear ownership like the previous streak, which often is described as belonging to Maya and her supporting cast. It would be fantastic if the streak can be passed on to next year's class, then to Charli Collier's class, maybe Samantha Brunnelle's class......

Even Tina and Kalana weren't there for all of the streak. Just the first 78. Renee for only 39.

Reaction Score

Even Tina and Kalana weren't there for all of the streak. Just the first 78. Renee for only 39.

Reaction Score
I recall threads in the past that discuss recruits who would rather create their own legacies than join UConn's well-established team first culture. I believe that these young women already see themselves as Huskies and very much a part of UConn's evolving legacy. Their first choice will be to contribute to the continuum of greatness as currently defined by the streak and consecutive NC's. If they find themselves in a position to start their own, their focus and commitment will be the same.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
High HoopGurlz rankings, respectively? Check!

#1 recruit in the nation? Check!

Representation from New York, Virginia, Georgia, Texas? Check!

Complements to Gabby, Napheesa, Kia, KLS, Natalie, Molly, Crystal, and Kyla? Check!

Championship favorites in 2017-18? Double check!

Reaction Score
Fun conversation but players come to UConn to win titles. I'm personally thrilled by the streak but in reality little more than a distraction.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Fun conversation but players come to UConn to win titles. I'm personally thrilled by the streak but in reality little more than a distraction.
I agree that players come to UConn to win titles, and the streak may well be a distraction to the coaching staff, but I believe that the streak matters to the players. They may be "duds" as far as Geno is concerned, but the way they obliterated a good USF team tells me that these players own the streak and, as Pheesa said, "don't want it to end on their watch."

If they continue to play like they did the other night, they will have both a championship and an ever-lengthening streak.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Even Geno has stated on numerous occasions that it is important to strive to be a part of history when you can. His focus on the 95 championship was not just the NC but the perfect season etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom