[formerly] Duke's Azura Stevens | Page 3 | The Boneyard

[formerly] Duke's Azura Stevens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here are their statistics thus far:

1. Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State)
12 gp/12 gs, 436 min. (36.3 mpg), 101-241 FG (.419), 41-110 3ptFG (.373), 68-87 FT (.782), 25.9 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 3.5 APG, 0.3 BPG, 1.9 SPG

2. Azura Stevens (Duke)
10 gp/5 gs, 207 min. (20.7 mpg), 53-97 FG (.546), 3-12 3ptFG (.250), 13-24 FT (.542), 12.2 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 1.1 APG, 0.7 BPG, 0.5 SPG

3. Kia Nurse (UCONN)
9 gp/7 gs, 243 min. (27.0 mpg), 44-77 FG (.571), 14-34 3ptFG (.412), 22-35 FT (.629), 13.8 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 3.4 APG, 1.2 SPG

4. Brianna Turner (ND)
9 gp/9 gs, 173 min. (19.2 mpg), 50-73 FG (.685), 0-0 3ptFG (.000), 26-36 FT (.722), 14.0 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 0.8 APG, 1.8 BPG, 1.4 SPG

5. Ariel Atkins (Texas)
7 gp/ 5 gs, 160 min. (22.9 mpg), 22-52 FG (.423), 3-6 3ptFG (.500), 27-31 FT (.871), 10.6 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 2.0 APG, 0.3 BPG, 2.1 SPG

Then since her name has been mentioned above, let's add for comparison:

A'ja Wilson (USC)
12 gp/ 1 gs, 249 min. (20.8 mpg), 63-115 FG (.548), 0-0 3ptFG (.000), 44-68 FT (.647), 14.2 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 0.8 APG, 1.4 BPG, 1.8 SPG

One thing that strikes me about these freshmen, is that all of them except Wilson have started at least half of their games for their respective teams. Mitchell is producing far away the most for her team: she obviously is one of 2 players on her team that is a huge leader for them - they place a ton of dependency on her to produce, and as a result she starts every game, and almost plays every minute. USC's Wilson has taken the most shot attempts behind Mitchell, and she hasn't even shot half as many times.

That's not supposed to be a knock on Mitchell: her team obviously thinks an awful lot of her, and she's producing the numbers that justify it. IMO she definitely is ahead of the above group, but I doubt that all of the others behind her have been given the license to put their teams almost solely on their shoulders, and be the offensive leader night in and out.

Of the others, IMO all are producing the numbers that justify their membership with the exception of Texas' Atkins. At least compared to Wilson:

I know Atkins is hurt and unable to play right now, but before she got hurt her numbers didn't warrant placing her above Wilson. Averaging less PPG with more minutes per gm than Wilson, and at a lower FG % kills it right there alone. She is a truer guard compared to Wilson (who plays guard-swing often but has yet to attempt a 3-pter), and has hit on half of her 3-pt Fg attempts, but she only attempted 6 total, so that basically negates one possible advantage she could have over Wilson. And Wilson produces more rebounds and blocked shots per game than Atkins - the steals per game is essentially a wash, and while Wilson doesn't dish out many assists, as with the 3-pt FGs the assist isn't really a strength with Atkins' game anyways, so that again can't be labeled much of an advantage for her.

Meanwhile Wilson's PPG is 2nd only to Mitchell's who plays more minutes, her RPG is 2nd only to Stevens, her FG % is 3rd-best of the group, her BPG is 2nd-best, and her SPG is 3rd (just barely behind Mitchell's) - very close competition in the top 3 with 5-8 and 5-11 guards (Wilson is 6-5 again). I would put Wilson easily in the top 5 above, and leave Atkins outside looking in.

Outside of Mitchell, Wilson makes just as big a case for herself as anyone else listed above, IMO...
Stats only tell so much. Wouldn't go by stats to illustrate a player value if a person has not seen that player at least 2-3 full games. Not saying you have not, but felt it was needed to be said.

Reaction Score
stats tell a lot, look at FG %, assists, turnovers, rebounds, and the teams record - this should give you a pretty good picture

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My top freshmen would be:
1. Mitchell
2. Wilson
3. Turner
4. Nurse
5. Stevens
6. Greenwell

Haven't seen Mitchell play, stats show she is a big scorer although a volume shooter. Interested to see how she does against stronger teams. Wilson has good upside and solid skills. Easily a top 5 freshman, interested to see if she can produce against UCONN

Turner has the most upside of anyone in this class. So gifted athletically and she has a long way to go offensively but still has great numbers and is a top scoring threat for a top 5 team. I want to see her play against quality posts.

Nurse might be the most polished freshman in the country and has slid in nicely at the 2 guard spot. I don't think she has had a bad game yet, very consistent start.

Stevens has been great for Duke. Smooth shot, rebounds and finishes inside. Not an elite athlete like Wilson or Turner so I don't see her as a strong perimeter defender but she has a great skill set and is a tough matchup. I think she will continue to play a big role for Duke.

Greenwell has also been great. Definitely a better 2 than point, she has struggled shooting but has a smooth stroke and rebounds well. Good upside.

Probably missed a few, but looks like a strong class.

Reaction Score
My top freshmen would be:
1. Mitchell
2. Wilson
3. Turner
4. Nurse
5. Stevens
6. Greenwell

Haven't seen Mitchell play, stats show she is a big scorer although a volume shooter. Interested to see how she does against stronger teams. Wilson has good upside and solid skills. Easily a top 5 freshman, interested to see if she can produce against UCONN

Turner has the most upside of anyone in this class. So gifted athletically and she has a long way to go offensively but still has great numbers and is a top scoring threat for a top 5 team. I want to see her play against quality posts.

Nurse might be the most polished freshman in the country and has slid in nicely at the 2 guard spot. I don't think she has had a bad game yet, very consistent start.

Stevens has been great for Duke. Smooth shot, rebounds and finishes inside. Not an elite athlete like Wilson or Turner so I don't see her as a strong perimeter defender but she has a great skill set and is a tough matchup. I think she will continue to play a big role for Duke.

Greenwell has also been great. Definitely a better 2 than point, she has struggled shooting but has a smooth stroke and rebounds well. Good upside.

Probably missed a few, but looks like a strong class.
How can you have someone as your best freshman, and you have yet to see any film on them? Only basis you have to refer to when having an argument is their stats and only that. I take in account a lot of things when ranking players such as stats, go to moves, and their ability to read and react to certain defenses. (Played point guard my entire basketball career) Back to subject, my top 5 to date would probably be...

1. Kia Nurse
2. Azura Stevens
3. Aja Wilson
4. Kaylee Johnson
5. Brianna Turner

I decided not to include Mitchell because besides highlight tapes I haven't seen any other tape on her so it is hard for me to defend a player essentially I cant defend. I chose Kia Nurse as my top freshman because she looks so cool, calm, and collected while maintaining her aggressiveness throughout the game. You can tell the Canadian experience she has on the next level really translated well onto the college game. I watched the Uconn vs Stanford game, as well as others, and I'm a firm believer that if she does not get fouled out Uconn has a GREAT chance of winning that game. By the end of her time at Uconn she could be one the best two way guardsin her class. Azura is a fan favorite and has that same type of demeanor as Nurse while on the floor, but in terms of MAMBA gametime face Nurse has her beat. I love what Dawn is doing with Aja game, like Stevens she is a matchup nightmare, but she brings ton of energy off the bench. When her and Bianca are in at the same time that press can be VERY DANGEROUS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The question is can Duke use their size against opponents?

Bingo!! Some of these schools get these 6'4-6'8 players but they never develop their skill sets or the coach plays them out of position.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How can you have someone as your best freshman, and you have yet to see any film on them? Only basis you have to refer to when having an argument is their stats and only that. I take in account a lot of things when ranking players such as stats, go to moves, and their ability to read and react to certain defenses. (Played point guard my entire basketball career) .

When a freshman averages 26ppg for a team that isn't playing all cupcakes, that's pretty darn impressive. Outside of EDD and Courtney Paris, I can't think of anyone who has had such gaudy numbers as a frosh in the last decade. Mitchell earned some POY hardware last year and her scoring numbers are by far the best of any freshman in the nation. Even though I haven't seen her play yet at OSU, I'll trust other people's evaluations of her performances thus far to include her as one of the top freshmen in the country.

Reaction Score
When a freshman averages 26ppg for a team that isn't playing all cupcakes, that's pretty darn impressive. Outside of EDD and Courtney Paris, I can't think of anyone who has had such gaudy numbers as a frosh in the last decade. Mitchell earned some POY hardware last year and her scoring numbers are by far the best of any freshman in the nation. Even though I haven't seen her play yet at OSU, I'll trust other people's evaluations of her performances thus far to include her as one of the top freshmen in the country.
I guess you and I differ in this matter and its perfectly okay. I did some research on Ohio State and because of injuries and whatever reasons they only go 7 deep. Against better competition Mitchell seems to average around 26 a game, but she's taking 27 shots to get there and usually only making 9. I cant put her ahead of Nurse, and not just for those reasons but more so on what I've seen out of Nurse instead. Cant wait to get the chance to SEE what Mitchell can do.

Reaction Score
Azura Stevens is a really good player. Has potential to be Great maybe one of the best at Duke. But also she is the young sister of Trinity Catholic standout and former St. Johns player Deshena Stevens. We should of been recruiting her

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
BIS, I was about to say the same thing. She ain't Duke's no more.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You need to change the title----to UCONN'S AZURA STEVENS
I THINK IT GREAT TO HAVE STEVENS ABOARD THE UCONN NC EXPRESS!!
No. The header should read Azura Stevens of THE UConn Husky's. It's time we all acknowledge this great institution is "THE" University of Connecticut and is like none other.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
I had a chance to speak to Azura earlier.

she is truly very Appreciative of this opportunity, blessing.
Terrific, Humble young lady.

This is certainly a BIG deal for UConn wbb for the 2 years she will be playing for them....but this an even bigger deal for this young lady. The opportunity to now truly fulfill her incredible potential being Coached , Utilized by Geno / staff & surrounded by the caliber of players, people that UConn will provide.... in a culture of success that is as Impressive as it gets.

This truly is a POY candidate ( both years ) & #1 overall pick in wnba draft caliber player. Especially now being coached by Geno.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
This is a monster get!!!!! I'll prob regret asking the qst- will she be eligible to go pro after her Jr year? And I'm thinking a real legitimate shot at her first National Championship. Just curious?

Reaction Score
This is certainly a BIG deal for UConn wbb for the 2 years she will be playing for them....but this an even bigger deal for this young lady. The opportunity to now truly fulfill her incredible potential being Coached , Utilized by Geno / staff & surrounded by the caliber of players, people that UConn will provide.... in a culture of success that is as Impressive as it gets.
This truly is a POY candidate ( both years ) & #1 overall pick in wnba draft caliber player. Especially now being coached by Geno.
CoachBill: how do you see her stacking up against A'ja Wilson? a detailed analysis by a Gamecock on a different thread suggests that it's a bad match up for Stevens, though not a good one either for Wilson. Right now, Wilson seems a lot stronger (Stevens has an extra year in the weight room coming up), but Stevens more mobile, IMO.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

Bill,

So you think she uses both years of her eligibility?

Reaction Score
At 6:5 ranked 57 in one service what do you guys think?

:

Did I just see a 6'5" HIGH SCHOOL girl leave the floor to get a rebound? Usually the bigs need to get taught jumping skills in college.

Reaction Score

No pressure though. ;^)

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
victor64 - yes, I do. but certainly it is a long way away from her having to concern herself about that.

bags27 - Azura offers more versatility ( starting with deeper shooting range ) Offensively currently . As most know.. the further out on floor a "Big" defender has to go to contest shots & defend vs dribble / penetration , the less comfortable they are - more of a challenge. I also fully expect a noticeable upgrade to her low block package ( moves, footwork,etc ) with UConn coaching by the start of the 2017/2018 season.

*** an important variable in any potential player vs player matchup = the competency of Head Coach to Utilize their player (both ends ) and capacity of teammates to complement that player, overall collective ( team ) competency to Defend the opposing player ( which starts with Coaching game plan, adjustments )

Reaction Score

Nothing is guaranteed but there is surely the possibility of POY awards. Hopefully, not being eligible to play next season (though practicing with the team) doesn't take much of an edge off of her. Getting the opportunity to practice against her new teammates and being coached by this extraordinary staff could and should make her awesome.

Reaction Score
This is a monster get!!!!! I'll prob regret asking the qst- will she be eligible to go pro after her Jr year? And I'm thinking a real legitimate shot at her first National Championship. Just curious?
I think she would be eligible but I'm inclined to think she'd stay to take full benefit of two years in Storrs. The exception would be if there was health considerations.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nothing is guaranteed but there is surely the possibility of POY awards. Hopefully, not being eligible to play next season (though practicing with the team) doesn't take much of an edge off of her. Getting the opportunity to practice against her new teammates and being coached by this extraordinary staff could and should make her awesome.
Most players being forced to sit out because of injury talked about how much they have grown in understanding of the game and how it renews their passion and commitment and for recognizing the privilege of being able to play. I think that can be true for transfers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom