Former UCONN Head Coach - David Berard | The Boneyard

Former UCONN Head Coach - David Berard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congratulations to former UCONN Men's Ice Hockey Coach - Dave Berard who currently has his Holy Cross Team ranked in the top 25 in the country at # 23. It didn't take him too long to turn that program into a winner.

Reaction Score
Here's a GREAT idea @hockeyfan44 why don't you go find the Holy Cross AHA board over on the USCHO Fan Forum and set up shop! I'm sure you can have fun talking about how GREAT Berard is. Because HIS recruiting class is the Jr and Sr class...the classes that are nothing more than glorified subs for ANY other HE team. It would actually be AWESOME if you go over to that USCHO thread...that way you won't be around here any more!

Reaction Score
There is a top 25 in hockey? I've never seen it go past 50. Not to mention, there's only 59/60 schools so being 23 of that is at best decent.

Reaction Score
Just giving kudos to a former member of our athletic depth who kept the hockey program here in Storrs together during a tough time. Why all the angst?

Reaction Score
Just giving kudos to a former member of our athletic depth who kept the hockey program here in Storrs together during a tough time. Why all the angst?
You are a stirring troll who just wants to add on to your posts dumping on Cav and the hockey team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are a stirring troll who just wants to add on to your posts dumping on Cav and the hockey team.
Congratulations also to recent fellow UCONN alum Will Moran whom I just found out is the Director of Hockey Operations at Holy Cross. Will was the Sports Director for WHUS in addition the voice for UCONN Hockey games on the radio.

Reaction Score
WOW you have to chill before you give yourself a heart attack. I'm a big fan of UCONN Athletics and especially UCONN Hockey. I'm not a fan of how this team has been playing for the past 3 years under Cavanaugh nor am i confident based on what I've seen on the ice this guy is a legitimate D1 head hockey coach and I'm definitely not the only one who thinks that way. The Win - Loss record for the past 3 years more recently this year's record has been unacceptable. If you don't like my opinion - tough .

Reaction Score
WOW you have to chill before you give yourself a heart attack. I'm a big fan of UCONN Athletics and especially UCONN Hockey. I'm not a fan of how this team has been playing for the past 3 years under Cavanaugh nor am i confident based on what I've seen on the ice this guy is a legitimate D1 head hockey coach and I'm definitely not the only one who thinks that way. The Win - Loss record for the past 3 years more recently this year's record has been unacceptable. If you don't like my opinion - tough .
Reality: your boy Berard didn't get the job here. His last recruiting classes as head Asst for Bruce Marshall are the MAIN reason why this team is struggling. As far as me not liking your opinion I don't..the only time you are on here is to run your mouth about how bad a player is or to tell us how bad the team or the coach's suck. Go start your own Holy Cross fan board if you like your precious Berard so much..Truth be told he came in a distant 3rd to Cav and Gwozdecky. Get some thick skin if you want to post here..I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
...the only time you are on here is to run your mouth about how bad a player is or to tell us how bad the team or the coach's suck.

^^^ This ^^^

Everyone can/should have an opinion but your anti-Cavanaugh animus from essentially Day 1 bleeds through on all your posts to the point that it seems personal (even the posts like above w/ faux noble intent). My opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reality is Dave Quinn (current BU coach) was Warde's #1 choice but Quinn turned down a formal interview which left the athletic admin scrambling to open up the coaching search. Gwozdecky pulled out of the running for personal reasons which left a two person race between Cavanaugh and Berard which at the end Cavanaugh got the job. I don't think you really have a clue how close the race was and you definitely have no clue what the admin is thinking now after 2 1/2 years. As far as recruit's I think the Cavanaugh era brought in the Richardsons of the world -15 in the +/- category (worst in HE and all D1) must I continue on ......

Reaction Score
Reality is Dave Quinn (current BU coach) was Warde's #1 choice but Quinn turned down a formal interview which left the athletic admin scrambling to open up the coaching search. Gwozdecky pulled out of the running for personal reasons which left a two person race between Cavanaugh and Berard which at the end Cavanaugh got the job. I don't think you really have a clue how close the race was and you definitely have no clue what the admin is thinking now after 2 1/2 years. As far as recruit's I think the Cavanaugh era brought in the Richardsons of the world -15 in the +/- category (worst in HE and all D1) must I continue on .
Yeah educate us on the hiring process...you certainly have an axe to grind with Cav and are definitely Berard backer to the HILT! And also please educate us on what the UCONN Athletic Administration feeling's are. Again on here bashing both coach and a player....rest my case! @brasssbonanzaa you see this...you may be able to shed some light on this rumor about Dave Quinn.

Reaction Score
Reality is Dave Quinn (current BU coach) was Warde's #1 choice but Quinn turned down a formal interview
The notion that Quinn would take the UConn job over the BU job he notoriously held out for is utterly absurd. If this info is true and Warde held out for Quinn and had to scramble when Quinn turned him down, Warde is an abject fool. Everyone and their brother in hockey circles knew Quinn was the guy to take over for Parker. The other two guys they "interviewed" (now NHL head coaches) were done more or less out of courtesy. UConn, nor anyone else, ever had a shot at hiring Quinn once it was known Parker was retiring. That's like saying East Carolina held out to hire Kevin Ollie and had to scramble when they realized he had no interest after taking the UConn job.

Also, you quoted plus/minus as a relevant stat, so there's that.

Reaction Score
@hockeyfan44 we are still anxiously awaiting you sharing your info on the full hiring process and the feelings of the Uconn Athletic Administration about Cav and the job he's doing.

Reaction Score
Berard did a really good job as UConn's interim coach. I don't see the need to knock him. He is also doing a good job at the Cross. I thought he would have been a solid choice at UConn but Cav beat him out. As far as recruiting goes FD, you really need to understand that ABA teams with 0 scholarships had a really different profile than a Hockey East one even if it was phasing in scholarships. My view the guy is a good coach but so is Cav. We are at a much higher level now and we will continue to grow.

Reaction Score
Berard did a really good job as UConn's interim coach. I don't see the need to knock him. He is also doing a good job at the Cross. I thought he would have been a solid choice at UConn but Cav beat him out. As far as recruiting goes FD, you really need to understand that ABA teams with 0 scholarships had a really different profile than a Hockey East one even if it was phasing in scholarships. My view the guy is a good coach but so is Cav. We are at a much higher level now and we will continue to grow.
That's what I am trying to get at...my negativity towards Berard is a direct response to huskyfan44's continued bashing of Cav, his staff and the players.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Berard did and would have done a good job, but he has little "street cred" so to speak within the hockey community. Players respond to a guy like Cav who comes from a pedigree of a powerhouse program and legendary coach. He's able to get guys from the USNTDP, the higher-level USHL guys, and the better Canadian players who want to come to the US. Of course he's not bringing in the Eichel's of the recruiting world, but he's put UConn on the map as an option for the above-average recruits out there. I'm not positive Berard would've been able to do that right away. There's a reason he was long thought to be York's replacement when he retires. Getting a guy like that for UConn has been an excellent way to build the program from a relative nothing into a competitive Hockey East program.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Berard did and would have done a good job, but he has little "street cred" so to speak within the hockey community. Players respond to a guy like Cav who comes from a pedigree of a powerhouse program and legendary coach. He's able to get guys from the USNTDP, the higher-level USHL guys, and the better Canadian players who want to come to the US. Of course he's not bringing in the Eichel's of the recruiting world, but he's put UConn on the map as an option for the above-average recruits out there. I'm not positive Berard would've been able to do that right away. There's a reason he was long thought to be York's replacement when he retires. Getting a guy like that for UConn has been an excellent way to build the program from a relative nothing into a competitive Hockey East program.
You are way of base my friend Cavanaughs so called street cred as you call has been gone for a while since he became a head hockey coach. As many hockey people have said the same - Cav made for a great recruiter under Jerry but he is a $hitty head coach. I know that might be tough to swallow for you because you seem to be a Cavanaugh worshipper but I'm just telling you what people have been saying. The win/loss record speaks for itself ....

Reaction Score
You are way of base my friend Cavanaughs so called street cred as you call has been gone for a while since he became a head hockey coach. As many hockey people have said the same - Cav made for a great recruiter under Jerry but he is a $hitty head coach. I know that might be tough to swallow for you because you seem to be a Cavanaugh worshipper but I'm just telling you what people have been saying. The win/loss record speaks for itself ....
Why don't you tell us what is being said both in the college hockey community and at UCONN about Cavanaugh....and why Berard was a better choice to build this program in HE?

Reaction Score
Let's put it this way Warde will smile and say all the right things but he is no dummy I will leave it at that. Hopefully the team can play some inspired hockey tomorrow night. GO UCONN !

Reaction Score
Let's put it this way Warde will smile and say all the right things but he is no dummy I will leave it at that. Hopefully the team can play some inspired hockey tomorrow night. GO UCONN !
Yup he isn't a dummy...he knows that he upgraded a program that if you compared it to football was Patriot League quality to the SEC...and phased in scholarship numbers over time (which by the way they still have 3 more to add compared to the rest of HE). This isn't a blink your eyes and will be top 1/3 of the league team. The most of the kids on the roster last year outside the freshman would barely play on established HE teams. The kids are young compared to he competition...a 17-19 year old kid vs a 20-23 yr old young man. He knows this is not a sprint...

Reaction Score

You are way off base here.

I am somewhat neutral in all this ... just reading & reading. My educated opinion is you are just wrong. And there is some other agenda you have. We are behind Coach Cavanagh; he is our guy. Consistently going after players is way out of line. Get your butt on board or get lost. Yes ... I am thinking you are needing some board discipline.

Reaction Score
Cav is a head coach? What are you smoking? You're also aware that I'm a longtime BU fan right? So why in the world would I be worshipping BC's former head recruiter who repeatedly brought in guys there that gave me nightmares?

Reaction Score
Yup he isn't a dummy...he knows that he upgraded a program that if you compared it to football was Patriot League quality to the SEC...and phased in scholarship numbers over time (which by the way they still have 3 more to add compared to the rest of HE). This isn't a blink your eyes and will be top 1/3 of the league team. The most of the kids on the roster last year outside the freshman would barely play on established HE teams. The kids are young compared to he competition...a 17-19 year old kid vs a 20-23 yr old young man. He knows this is not a sprint...
I follow the team as much as possible but I am not up to speed on all this but why are the amount of scholarships phased in?

Reaction Score
I follow the team as much as possible but I am not up to speed on all this but why are the amount of scholarships phased in?
I'm not too sure..but I think it was to spread the cost out. I know they had to add women's scholarships as well. They are at 15 this season...rest of HE is at 18. They will be at 18 next season.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member