Fork Union RB Joe Williams commits to... | The Boneyard

Fork Union RB Joe Williams commits to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
The Huskies, per Bob Lichtenfels.

Awesome get for UConn - a gamebreaker-type back!...

Reaction Score
Only thing I can find on this kid is his reported size (5'11" 190 lbs).

Anyone know anything else? Stats? 40 time? General info?

I'm also assuming he's planning on being here in January?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
he comes this janurary and has 5 years 4 seasons to play i think but FUMA does have a spring semester unlike schools like milford so ....

Reaction Score
He has run a 10.4 100 meters. That is flat out flying.

This is a rough conversion, 100-meter time converted to 40-yard dash time;

10.2 --- 4.34
10.3 --- 4.38
10.4 --- 4.43
10.5 --- 4.49
10.6 --- 4.54
10.7 --- 4.58
10.8 --- 4.63
10.9 --- 4.75
11.0 --- 4.85

Reaction Score
runs a 10.4 100, so he is quick. But there is near to nothing on any site about this kid.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
runs a 10.4 100, so he is quick. But there is near to nothing on any site about this kid.

Nitpicking here, but......

Better to describe it as fast and great top end break away speed.

Quick is better for describing 10,20,30 or 40 yard times. That measures the explosion off the blocks.

Granted it's tough to run a 10.4 without being quick out of the blocks, but they are separate measurables.

Reaction Score
First, that conversion table was done by rivals - not me. There is no way to convert without videotape where you can us frame rates and that's still rough.

Found this article

Friday evening was an exhilarating night for Emmaus football fans, who watched the Hornets capture the Class 4A Eastern Conference championship and their first football title since 1981 in a game against Liberty HS of Bethlehem.

The Hornets beat the Hurricanes 16-7, thanks in large part to the contributions of running back Joseph Williams, who ran for a total of 187 yards and scored two touchdowns before withdrawing from play due to an ankle injury late in the third quarter.

Williams' proud parents, Emmaus residents Kenny and Joanne Williams, were at Bethlehem Area School District stadium to cheer on their son, who is a senior at Emmaus HS.

According to Joanne Williams, her son has been playing football since he was six years old. "He's awesome," she said, adding that Joe is currently considering attending West Virginia, Rutgers or Indiana University of Pennsylvania next fall.

"That's my boy," added Kenny Williams, when asked how he felt about his son's remarkable talent on the football field.
Williams scored his first of two touchdowns during the game's first quarter, and later carried 85 yards for a touchdown during the third quarter, which gave the Hornets a 13-7 lead.

A successful field goal by Emmaus at the beginning of the fourth quarter increased the team's lead over Liberty to 16-7, which proved to be the final score.

Reaction Score
Something is odd about this whole thing. Someone who had success in PA, and goes to Fork Union (assuming he was getting on the field there), ought to be followed more (like at all) by the recruiting services. If you Rivals search Fort Union, you get 52 players listed (I assume the entire roster gets typed into the database) and 18 are rated by Rivals. Williams was one of the 34 not rated.

What is going on here? something just doesn't seem right. (Please don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying the young man can't play at this level, because if he got an offer I'll assume he can.)

Reaction Score
the question I have is why the concept of under the radar, has gone from normal and expected for years....and our ability to continue to do it be identified as a big concern as to whether or not we can continue to be successful........how that has gone to.... "somethign just doesn't seem right.".....in less than a year.

;)

Reaction Score
Welcome to the uconn family joe williams. The stable of RB's is a little depleted right now, a welcome addition.

Reaction Score
Something is odd about this whole thing. Someone who had success in PA, and goes to Fork Union (assuming he was getting on the field there), ought to be followed more (like at all) by the recruiting services. If you Rivals search Fort Union, you get 52 players listed (I assume the entire roster gets typed into the database) and 18 are rated by Rivals. Williams was one of the 34 not rated.

What is going on here? something just doesn't seem right. (Please don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying the young man can't play at this level, because if he got an offer I'll assume he can.)

What do you mean by something doesn't seem right? What are you insinuating ?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What do you mean by something doesn't seem right? What are you insinuating ?
That is seems strange that someone who was a successful high school player in a state like PA and went on to play at a major prep school would get no coverage from scout or rivals. It does seem strange, but like BL says, if the staff offered him then I trust that he can play at this level.

Reaction Score
You folks kill me. Funny. Really. A case study in perception, and how it changes.

A football player in the state of Pennsylvania, does well in high school, finishes high school, goes to a respected prep school, gets recruited to UConn for a full scholarship, but doesn't show up with the internet glitter all over him? THis kid is big, fast and can play ball.

If this had happened a year ago, he'd be one of those prized "under the radar " guys. But it happens now, and all of a sudden, something just doesn't seem right.

What a difference a year makes.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
From what I found he split time at FUMA at running back. He did break at least three long runs of over 70 yards this past season.
I like to see UConn land another back in this class, but happy Joe Williams is coming to UConn

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From what I found he split time at FUMA at running back. He did break at least three long runs of over 70 yards this past season.
I like to see UConn land another back in this class, but happy Joe Williams is coming to UConn

Well, according to at least person on this board, those 70 yard runs will skew his numbers and make him look better than he actually is. So buyer beware.

Reaction Score
the question I have is why the concept of under the radar, has gone from normal and expected for years....and our ability to continue to do it be identified as a big concern as to whether or not we can continue to be successful........how that has gone to.... "somethign just doesn't seem right.".....in less than a year.

;)

No. This has nothing to do with the coaches. If you want to have a real discussion, fine, but I have no interest in crap for craps sake, especially where I said in words of one syllable that if the coaches offered him I assume he can play at this level.

Most truly under the radar guys who are good BCS conference players (a Lutrus or a Butler to take two examples) play at high schools that the recruiting services don't really cover. The fact that they're not rated doesn't mean anything more than they didn't come onto the radar of the services (hence, the term). But playing at Fork Union is like playing at Don Bosco or Milford Academy. The services are hanging out watching practices all the time. There are publicists in charge of getting the services the info they need so more players are covered and the school gets publicity. I'm just saying that it seems odd that, at Fork Union, you can have a guy whom the coaches think can contribute at UConn and the services don't seem interested enough to look at film and give him a number (regardless of whether it's a high rating or a low rating). And therefore something seems just off to me.

Now, I understand that if I say the weather sucks there are nimrods here that will immediately say I thought it was sunny under our prior regime but I can't help the nonsense. If I have something to say about the coaches, I am happy to say it explicitly.

Reaction Score
All kidding aside.....why is it so damn hard to find FUMA stats from this past year? Anyone have a link to them? I found 2010 stats on maxpreps, but nothing for 2011.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
BLit on twitter told me no other offers but he is coming out with a story soon. kid is a ghost town on google cept for a couple small things that were posted in this thread already. FUMA puts out like Milford if not better, i wonder if he got stuck behind a big time rb there and thats why we aren't seeing alot. imagine being stuck behind dobbs at milford for example?

i'm trying to get some vids right now, he is #28. he might have played some db as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RZtbz_3DPw
pic of him at 1:27 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMIIAEp1jg4&feature=related
1:40 mark, #28 with a pic here but the mic man says a different players name. hmmm

Reaction Score
All I know is this kid is top notch speed, and size, he borderlines olympic qualifying times in the 100m dash as a 12th grader, (11.05 sec) not sure where those other times posted here on this discussion are coming from, but 11.05 in the 100m is good enough for me for the gridiron, faster? even better. And we've got coaches that know how to coach players and get the most they can out of them. Sorry for getting you all wound up BL.

Maybe I"m wrong, but I think it was you taht was concerned about our ability to find quality athletes that aren't being picked out by the recruiting services when it came to our future success potential. I wasn't concerned then, and I"m not now.

Reaction Score
Woo hoo!!!!! Welcome aboard, the next Uconn 1,000 yard rusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom