For what it is worth | Page 8 | The Boneyard

For what it is worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dude, we've had 22 First Round draft picks, we have 15 players and coaches in the College Hall of Fame, 7 players in the NFL hall of fame...

Yale has more FB national championship than any other school. That factoid is just as relevant as your entire post.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
To be blunt UConn won more games against Syracuse from 2005 to 2013 because our program went into its nadir and UConn was a top 50 which compared to Syracuse was a lot better. However, we are back to that top 50 level and games between our programs won't occur anymore.

Syracuse is back to being a top 50 program so that's why they won't schedule UConn.

Who's the delusional one again?

Heck, even if I entertain that fallacy- wouldn't that make Syracuse exactly the kind of program you think UConn should schedule more of? Yet, you just said the games will never happen.

Congratulations- you just proved exactly why its so tough to schedule good teams, and why your entire argument is a pile of crap.

U

UConn9604

How is my argument self-defeating? UConn could have scheduled more difficult games from 2010 to 2012. The Big East got no respect nationally, and Syracuse didn't do much to help the conference, but we did play among the tougher non-conference schedules. I rooted for the BE in the non-conference games as I worried about SU's future, but I won't care as much now about non-conference games in the ACC.

I can't get my hands wrapped around your thought that we somehow had leverage over Michigan. I just can't.

As for 2010-12, most of those games were scheduled many, many years in advance. In 2010 and 2011, we played Vanderbilt as paybacks for a 2-for-1 that began in 2002 (lost on a 7-yard TD run by Jay Cutler, that's how long ago it was). In 2012, we played NC State as a payback for a 1-and-1 that began in 2003. To think that we could just pick up the phone in 2002 and 2003, and schedule better squads, I don't understand it.

By the way, in that same time period (2010-12), Syracuse played one top non-conference team, and that's Southern Cal. It's not like you worked the Giants into your schedule.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is my argument self-defeating?
To be blunt UConn won more games against Syracuse from 2005 to 2013 because our program went into its nadir and UConn was a top 50 which compared to Syracuse was a lot better. However, we are back to that top 50 level and games between our programs won't occur anymore.

Ding, ding, ding. Here is the Cuse mindset is nutshell. "We won't keep losing to you because we won't play you anymore."

Lol, pitiful.

Reaction Score
Last I checked, Syracuse went 8-5 last year playing a not so difficult schedule. This is the same fan base that was outraged Morrone didn't select Nassib with the 8th pick. 8th pick? Really?

Reaction Score
Syracuse is back to being a top 50 program so that's why they won't schedule UConn.

Who's the delusional one again?

Heck, even if I entertain that fallacy- wouldn't that make Syracuse exactly the kind of program you think UConn should schedule more of? Yet, you just said the games will never happen.

Congratulations- you just proved exactly why its so tough to schedule good teams, and why your entire argument is a pile of crap.

Being top 50 has nothing to do with the fact Syracuse won't schedule UConn anymore. The reason Syracuse most likely won't schedule you in football yearly is their is no rivalry between the schools in football that will require satisfying the Syracuse fanbase. Syracuse has played Boston College a lot more than UConn and it took till 2010 to schedule a series with them. Would I put it past Syracuse to play an occasional series in football with UConn 1-1? No, but I wouldn't expect more than maybe 2 games a decade or maybe an occasional neutral field game at Metlife

Look I am being honest whether you want to believe it or not most Syracuse fans don't feel a football rivalry with UConn. Your fanbase hasn't traveled to the Dome in great numbers and the Dome hasn't soldout for this "rivalry" to require Dr. Gross to feel the need to schedule you guys when we are in the ACC. Is Rutgers going to schedule UConn when they go to the B1G?

I said games won't happen on annual basis, but occasional games are not of the picture. I haven't disproven my own argument UConn doesn't have the history of most BCS programs to increase your brand you have to take unfavorable matchups and win. Florida State under Bowden played a ton of road games before he went to the ACC, Boise State has had to play 1 games series at Georgia, against Va. Tech in D.C., at Michigan State( in a 2 for 1 series), against Georgia in the Georgia Dome, and finally haven't a decade they finally getting home/homes with decent competition. If Syracuse can play home/homes with Washington, Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota all since 2006 then UConn can't because 1. teams don't think UConn is worthy or a home/home or 2. UConn doesn't want to play these games. As I don't see Indiana, Wake Forest(which SU played as well), Virginia(which SU played as well), Duke, Baylor( good series), North Carolina( you got this series as a result of the lawsuit), Vanderbilt, Iowa State to be that much to ask for. UConn rarely played a big boy on unfavorable terms in the short run to enhance its football respect nationally to get better future deals. How is that hard to comprehend. Michigan was an outlier.

I am done arguing because your damn right it is hard to get even deals when you are seen as not on equal terms. Will UConn basketball play Providence College home/home in basketball in the near future? As that is what you are seen like in football except atleast you have been competitive unlike Providence. Providence has to play Kentucky home/home with their home game at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn. If UConn football wanted to play Alabama football in a home/home series you guys would likely have to play your home game at Metlife stadium. I wouldn't take this deal, but I would consider playing occasional 1 game series with teams like Ohio State, Penn State, Florida as they would be no lose situations for your program. Win and your the lead story on Sportscenter, lose the game and nobody will blame you nationally. The Big East was weak these past 8 years and winning that conference wasn't seen as much the only way to get respect as a Big East school was to schedule and win big non-conference games. Nobody in the Big East accomplished this except when USF went into Auburn several years ago, Louisville beating Florida in the Sugar Bowl this past year, and when West Virginia beat Georgia, Oklahoma in bowl games. The only other time a Big East school had a chance was when West Virginia hosted LSU on ABC Primetime. and got housed by the Honey Badger. Even Cincinnati played stiff non-conferences schedules and as a result were never going to play for the NC, and what happened when Tebow Florida played that Cincinnati team in the Sugar Bowl? It was an embarrassment, I could can and you would likely agree the Big East Football conference these past 8 years was very lucky to be in the BCS and honestly didn't belong because the conference didn't have any depth which was SU and Pitt's fault a lot, but we had WVU, Pitt, Syracuse decent histories of being in the top 25, 2 programs that were building up scratch USF and UConn, 2 Conference USA teams that were decent periodically Cincinnati, and Louisville, and the POS that never won anything in Rutgers. UConn has accomplished more football success 8 years than Rutgers has 30 years. I know you post on the SU board and we have had dialogue in several posts I am realist, and post my opinions I don't expect you agree with me, but I expect you to atleast respect where I am coming from. Good luck, in your conference and I am sure you will see a SU-UConn game sporadically on each other's schedule.

Reaction Score
Last I checked, Syracuse went 8-5 last year playing a not so difficult schedule. This is the same fan base that was outraged Morrone didn't select Nassib with the 8th pick. 8th pick? Really?
Missouri was a 5-7 SEC team, Northwestern was a 9-3 B1G team, Minnesota 6-6 B1G team,USC was a 7-5 Pac-12 team, typical D-1AA game. We played 4 BCS teams in the non-conference to make up for a weak conference schedule. I would call this a solid schedule whether you agree or not.

Also, please find where I am outraged Marrone didn't pick Nassib with the 8th pick. Our fanbase is angry at Marrone right now so I could careless if they criticize him for that. Just like I am sure your fanbase didn't appreciate Edsall leaving for freaking Maryland. If we took a good job its one thing, but Maryland isn't even a first tier ACC job.

Reaction Score
Being top 50 has nothing to do with the fact Syracuse won't schedule UConn anymore. The reason Syracuse most likely won't schedule you in football yearly is their is no rivalry between the schools in football that will require satisfying the Syracuse fanbase. Syracuse has played Boston College a lot more than UConn and it took till 2010 to schedule a series with them. Would I put it past Syracuse to play an occasional series in football with UConn 1-1? No, but I wouldn't expect more than maybe 2 games a decade or maybe an occasional neutral field game at Metlife

Look I am being honest whether you want to believe it or not most Syracuse fans don't feel a football rivalry with UConn. Your fanbase hasn't traveled to the Dome in great numbers and the Dome hasn't soldout for this "rivalry" to require Dr. Gross to feel the need to schedule you guys when we are in the ACC. Is Rutgers going to schedule UConn when they go to the B1G?

I said games won't happen on annual basis, but occasional games are not of the picture. I haven't disproven my own argument UConn doesn't have the history of most BCS programs to increase your brand you have to take unfavorable matchups and win. Florida State under Bowden played a ton of road games before he went to the ACC, Boise State has had to play 1 games series at Georgia, against Va. Tech in D.C., at Michigan State( in a 2 for 1 series), against Georgia in the Georgia Dome, and finally haven't a decade they finally getting home/homes with decent competition. If Syracuse can play home/homes with Washington, Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota all since 2006 then UConn can't because 1. teams don't think UConn is worthy or a home/home or 2. UConn doesn't want to play these games. As I don't see Indiana, Wake Forest(which SU played as well), Virginia(which SU played as well), Duke, Baylor( good series), North Carolina( you got this series as a result of the lawsuit), Vanderbilt, Iowa State to be that much to ask for. UConn rarely played a big boy on unfavorable terms in the short run to enhance its football respect nationally to get better future deals. How is that hard to comprehend. Michigan was an outlier.

I am done arguing because your damn right it is hard to get even deals when you are seen as not on equal terms. Will UConn basketball play Providence College home/home in basketball in the near future? As that is what you are seen like in football except atleast you have been competitive unlike Providence. Providence has to play Kentucky home/home with their home game at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn. If UConn football wanted to play Alabama football in a home/home series you guys would likely have to play your home game at Metlife stadium. I wouldn't take this deal, but I would consider playing occasional 1 game series with teams like Ohio State, Penn State, Florida as they would be no lose situations for your program. Win and your the lead story on Sportscenter, lose the game and nobody will blame you nationally. The Big East was weak these past 8 years and winning that conference wasn't seen as much the only way to get respect as a Big East school was to schedule and win big non-conference games. Nobody in the Big East accomplished this except when USF went into Auburn several years ago, Louisville beating Florida in the Sugar Bowl this past year, and when West Virginia beat Georgia, Oklahoma in bowl games. The only other time a Big East school had a chance was when West Virginia hosted LSU on ABC Primetime. and got housed by the Honey Badger. Even Cincinnati played stiff non-conferences schedules and as a result were never going to play for the NC, and what happened when Tebow Florida played that Cincinnati team in the Sugar Bowl? It was an embarrassment, I could can and you would likely agree the Big East Football conference these past 8 years was very lucky to be in the BCS and honestly didn't belong because the conference didn't have any depth which was SU and Pitt's fault a lot, but we had WVU, Pitt, Syracuse decent histories of being in the top 25, 2 programs that were building up scratch USF and UConn, 2 Conference USA teams that were decent periodically Cincinnati, and Louisville, and the POS that never won anything in Rutgers. UConn has accomplished more football success 8 years than Rutgers has 30 years. I know you post on the SU board and we have had dialogue in several posts I am realist, and post my opinions I don't expect you agree with me, but I expect you to atleast respect where I am coming from. Good luck, in your conference and I am sure you will see a SU-UConn game sporadically on each other's schedule.

So much of this info is wrong, made up facts. First, it was the Virginia series that came as the result of the lawsuit. North Carolina came as a result of a longstanding relationship (UConn played UNC in basketball, for instance, 4 straight years). And it's not like they wouldn't have played Virginia otherwise given the longstanding ties between the two schools (with Casteen, Turner, etc., the same old crowd that got Leitao hired there in the first place). But UConn has played all these teams, Maryland, Virginia, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, on a one-o-one basis. I'm not even sure what argument you're trying to make. UConn has played every single team in the ACC but Clemson and Florida State! What are you arguing exactly? They have Tennessee and Michigan and Iowa in the future.

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with this.

NOTHING!!!!

Reaction Score
Remember when you got into that verbal fight in high school and you were being made fun of and you said......

"Yeah, well, you're fat..."

You are a fool and you just proved it.

Who was foolish enough to hire our retread coaches who are currently running your team into the ground?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Who was foolish enough to hire our retread coaches who are currently running your team into the ground?

Our fired Athletic Director. Our current AD is working really hard on getting fired by not kicking your retread coaches to the curb. Of course we're still better off than 'Cuse was... no one has started to read children's stories during press conferences.

Reaction Score
So much of this info is wrong, made up facts. First, it was the Virginia series that came as the result of the lawsuit. North Carolina came as a result of a longstanding relationship (UConn played UNC in basketball, for instance, 4 straight years). And it's not like they wouldn't have played Virginia otherwise given the longstanding ties between the two schools (with Casteen, Turner, etc., the same old crowd that got Leitao hired there in the first place). But UConn has played all these teams, Maryland, Virginia, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, on a one-o-one basis. I'm not even sure what argument you're trying to make. UConn has played every single team in the ACC but Clemson and Florida State! What are you arguing exactly? They have Tennessee and Michigan and Iowa in the future.

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with this.

NOTHING!!!!
I am sorry I messed up North Carolina and Virginia and which series came from the ACC lawsuit.
IMO, the ACC tiers are like this,,
Tier 1
Florida State
Clemson
Miami
All of these teams have won national titles, and except Miami regularly play in front of large crowds.
Tier 2
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
consistent top 25 teams
Tier 3
Virginia
Maryland
NC State
North Carolina
decent brands, but aren't consistent in football and 3 of 4 would be call themselves basketball schools
Tier 4
Wake Forest
Duke
Boston College
bad teams.

You got home/homes with 1 tier 2 and mainly tier 3 teams. I commend those series, but c'mon you know what I am saying about playing more challenging teams. If I was UConn I would take a short term 2 for 1 with Wisconsin or Michigan State beat them 2 times and you get more and more respect. Again, this is my opinion. and not a fact so please don't tell me I am spewing incorrect facts, and before the jokes are made Syracuse and Pitt would be in tier 3, and up till 3 years ago Syracuse would have been in tier 4.

Reaction Score
I don't think fans of either fan base look at UConn-Syracuse as a great football rivalry because, well, both schools are mediocre in football. Heck, most of my friends who are Cuse fans aren't even that passionate about their football team.

Your fans love to talk about how Cuse is a "brand" or whatever, but no one's given a s*** about your football program in decades. It certainly wasn't the reason you were invited into the ACC.

(And yes, I'm aware no one nationally gives a crap about UConn football either. If/when we get invited somewhere, it will be because of the TV market and the basketball programs.)

Reaction Score
Can I be honest with you ...

A trip to the Carrier Dome & greater Syracuse is one of the worst football experiences going.

Tailgate in a hotel parking lot; no fall leaves on the walk; 3+ hours in a Mausoleum; Townie fans. I live in Albany & that's the worst drive, by far, of any direction. The ACC schools will soon find their own reasons not to road trip to that place. And Yes ... Pitt or BC would be far more welcome at our place. Better games.

Pasqualoni? He'll be leaving ... and this time to transition to what's next will be infinitely Better.

Reaction Score
I don't think fans of either fan base look at UConn-Syracuse as a great football rivalry because, well, both schools are mediocre in football. Heck, most of my friends who are Cuse fans aren't even that passionate about their football team.

Your fans love to talk about how Cuse is a "brand" or whatever, but no one's given a s*** about your football program in decades. It certainly wasn't the reason you were invited into the ACC.

(And yes, I'm aware no one nationally gives a crap about UConn football either. If/when we get invited somewhere, it will be because of the TV market and the basketball programs.)
Thank you for the post, when SU fans talk about brand they are talking about the fact most of the country knows Syracuse football to be decent and have put decent players into the NFL and have some legends. If Syracuse continues upward we still won't be a dominant team anymore in college football most our fanbase knows that, but you know what bothers UConn fans? Providence College fans who come on here and act like they are anything more than leeches and whether UConn fans like it the average Syracuse fan sees it the same way. Providence is sucking on good Big East schools for acceptance and Syracuse fans feel the same way. If Syracuse didn't hire Greg Robinson our program wouldn't have bottomed out completely.

I do think eventually UConn will end up with Big XII schools in some sort of configuration which is better than AAC or if the B1G can't get anybody else they will go with UConn and somebody. Note: In my opinion, most Syracuse online fans despise Rutgers more than UConn, and truthfully the B1G could have gotten BTN on in NYC with the Yankees leverage they are going to have with FOX purchasing YES if they could have choosen UConn over Rutgers the first time, and I don't get why. UConn football brand is greater than the Rutgers football brand IMO. Rutgers was a doormat before 2004 and they have the least Big East football titles of Syracuse, UConn, and Rutgers.

Reaction Score
alsacs,

You make a lot of good points. I think we differ a little on what the national perception of Syracuse perception is, but that's what happens when we're on two different ends of the spectrum.

Reaction Score
I am sorry I messed up North Carolina and Virginia and which series came from the ACC lawsuit.
IMO, the ACC tiers are like this,,
Tier 1
Florida State
Clemson
Miami
All of these teams have won national titles, and except Miami regularly play in front of large crowds.
Tier 2
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
consistent top 25 teams
Tier 3
Virginia
Maryland
NC State
North Carolina
decent brands, but aren't consistent in football and 3 of 4 would be call themselves basketball schools
Tier 4
Wake Forest
Duke
Boston College
bad teams.

You got home/homes with 1 tier 2 and mainly tier 3 teams. I commend those series, but c'mon you know what I am saying about playing more challenging teams. If I was UConn I would take a short term 2 for 1 with Wisconsin or Michigan State beat them 2 times and you get more and more respect. Again, this is my opinion. and not a fact so please don't tell me I am spewing incorrect facts, and before the jokes are made Syracuse and Pitt would be in tier 3, and up till 3 years ago Syracuse would have been in tier 4.

Why would they do any of this when they are scheduling Michigan and Tennessee and the tier 2 and 3 ACC teams and not giving up games? It makes no sense. In fact, it's insane. It's like announcing to the world, "I enjoy losing $4 million dollars a game."

They are not suffering in filling up the schedule. They are doing well. What is the problem?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Warde has been doing well in scheduling so far. I hear PSU has openings beginning in 2017. WM should make it happen.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thank you for the post, when SU fans talk about brand they are talking about the fact most of the country knows Syracuse football to be decent and have put decent players into the NFL and have some legends. If Syracuse continues upward we still won't be a dominant team anymore in college football most our fanbase knows that, but you know what bothers UConn fans? Providence College fans who come on here and act like they are anything more than leeches and whether UConn fans like it the average Syracuse fan sees it the same way. Providence is sucking on good Big East schools for acceptance and Syracuse fans feel the same way. If Syracuse didn't hire Greg Robinson our program wouldn't have bottomed out completely.

I do think eventually UConn will end up with Big XII schools in some sort of configuration which is better than AAC or if the B1G can't get anybody else they will go with UConn and somebody. Note: In my opinion, most Syracuse online fans despise Rutgers more than UConn, and truthfully the B1G could have gotten BTN on in NYC with the Yankees leverage they are going to have with FOX purchasing YES if they could have choosen UConn over Rutgers the first time, and I don't get why. UConn football brand is greater than the Rutgers football brand IMO. Rutgers was a doormat before 2004 and they have the least Big East football titles of Syracuse, UConn, and Rutgers.
To suggest that gulf between UConn (or Syracuse) and PC in hoops is similar to any perceived superiority of Syracuse over UConn as a football brand is absurd. LSU or Nebraska vs UConn is closer to UConn vs PC in hoops.

Syracuse has history with Jim Brown, and then a little with McNabb (faded now that he is gone from the NFL). Maybe Chandler Jones can revive it. But from my time in the midwest and on the west coast, I can say that I don't think anybody hears the word "Syracuse" and thinks "football". Basketball, heck yeah. I don't know if this is a maleable thing for any school. UCLA - basketball. USC- football. It doesn't even matter who has been better in the last decade. Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Louisville, Kansas, Indiana, UConn, Syracuse. None of them will be known for football, just as Alabama and LSU, which field good hoops teams now and then, won't be known for basketball. This is your fate, and ours, so accept it. It could be worse, many schools aren't instantly associated with anything, which means they haven't achieved much.

Reaction Score
Why would they do any of this when they are scheduling Michigan and Tennessee and the tier 2 and 3 ACC teams and not giving up games? It makes no sense. In fact, it's insane. It's like announcing to the world, "I enjoy losing $4 million dollars a game."

They are not suffering in filling up the schedule. They are doing well. What is the problem?

UConn is good enough to get home/homes with every ACC team except Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia Tech.(those teams don't play home/home without the other team being a power team. ) However, Big East teams circa a couple years ago had a difficult time getting good teams home/home. Syracuse got USC, Penn State. West Virginia got LSU, and UConn got Michigan, Tennessee. The SEC, B1G big dogs aren't going to play Big East teams home/home without a compelling reason. UConn shouldn't take a terrible deal, but honestly a 1 game series aka payday game isn't a bad thing if you are program that building up its reputation or if you played Penn State/Ohio State 2 for 1 it wouldn't lose you 4 million dollars. I am sure you could balance out a 2 for 1 with a big dog with a 2 for 1 with a Buffalo type program.

Hell Cincinnati which has been one of the best teams in the Big East took a payday game in Tennessee a couple years ago and they wouldn't say its insane. Cincinnati also played a Virginia Tech home game in Washington D.C last year. They didn't lose millions of dollars for these games. If UConn played a couple of short term 1 game series and won them they would get more 1-1s with decent teams, and obviously a bigger stadium would help as well for both UConn and Syracuse. Colorado which has been a HORRIBLE football program this past decade has gotten teams like Georgia to play them 1-1 why? The answer is their football history got them respect and the other schools didn't see them as a bad loss if they loss.

My question for you is will UConn play Providence College home/home in basketball? I wouldn't if I were UConn they need the game more than you do, and if you lose they act like they won the NC and if you win its no different than beating URI. If Kentucky wanted to play UConn in basketball you rightfully should settle for no worse than a 1-1? Why because UConn is a top 10 basketball program, but in football you need either a big stadium, be located in a recruiting hotbed, or be a consistent top 25 team to get 1-1s.

Reaction Score
To suggest that gulf between UConn (or Syracuse) and PC in hoops is similar to any perceived superiority of Syracuse over UConn as a football brand is absurd. LSU or Nebraska vs UConn is closer to UConn vs PC in hoops.

Syracuse has history with Jim Brown, and then a little with McNabb (faded now that he is gone from the NFL). Maybe Chandler Jones can revive it. But from my time in the midwest and on the west coast, I can say that I don't think anybody hears the word "Syracuse" and thinks "football". Basketball, heck yeah. I don't know if this is a maleable thing for any school. UCLA - basketball. USC- football. It doesn't even matter who has been better in the last decade. Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Louisville, Kansas, Indiana, UConn, Syracuse. None of them will be known for football, just as Alabama and LSU, which field good hoops teams now and then, won't be known for basketball. This is your fate, and ours, so accept it. It could be worse, many schools aren't instantly associated with anything, which means they haven't achieved much.
I agree with most of this, but UConn should take a couple of 2 for 1s or 1 game only paydays to give themselves the ability for more program changing wins. The Big East from 2004 to 2012 didn't have any consistent top 10 teams that if Syracuse/UConn beat would give them a lot of respect nationally. This is just my objective opinion FWIW.

Reaction Score
UConn is good enough to get home/homes with every ACC team except Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia Tech.(those teams don't play home/home without the other team being a power team. ) However, Big East teams circa a couple years ago had a difficult time getting good teams home/home. Syracuse got USC, Penn State. West Virginia got LSU, and UConn got Michigan, Tennessee. The SEC, B1G big dogs aren't going to play Big East teams home/home without a compelling reason. UConn shouldn't take a terrible deal, but honestly a 1 game series aka payday game isn't a bad thing if you are program that building up its reputation or if you played Penn State/Ohio State 2 for 1 it wouldn't lose you 4 million dollars. I am sure you could balance out a 2 for 1 with a big dog with a 2 for 1 with a Buffalo type program.

Hell Cincinnati which has been one of the best teams in the Big East took a payday game in Tennessee a couple years ago and they wouldn't say its insane. Cincinnati also played a Virginia Tech home game in Washington D.C last year. They didn't lose millions of dollars for these games. If UConn played a couple of short term 1 game series and won them they would get more 1-1s with decent teams, and obviously a bigger stadium would help as well for both UConn and Syracuse. Colorado which has been a HORRIBLE football program this past decade has gotten teams like Georgia to play them 1-1 why? The answer is their football history got them respect and the other schools didn't see them as a bad loss if they loss.

My question for you is will UConn play Providence College home/home in basketball? I wouldn't if I were UConn they need the game more than you do, and if you lose they act like they won the NC and if you win its no different than beating URI. If Kentucky wanted to play UConn in basketball you rightfully should settle for no worse than a 1-1? Why because UConn is a top 10 basketball program, but in football you need either a big stadium, be located in a recruiting hotbed, or be a consistent top 25 team to get 1-1s.

UConn, with its current conference, can't afford a yearly game against PC. A one off home and home is possible. But UConn, because of RPI concerns, is scheduling Indiana, Texas, Washington, Maryland, Stanford and others right now. It only has so many home games left. Because it's trying for 6 or 7 top OOC games each and every year (more than the 4 we've been playing last couple of years) there's very little room for Providence. I'd like to see UConn play them every once in a while, but a yearly game is a no-go.

As for Buffalo and the like, both Syracuse and UConn have done home and homes with them. So has Pitt. I think 2 for 1s are asking too much since our schools only bring 35k to a game against Buffalo (Pitt less).

Reaction Score
Remember when you got into that verbal fight in high school and you were being made fun of and you said......

"Yeah, well, you're fat..."

You are a fool and you just proved it.
as opposed to every other post. this place is turning into womper room.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn should take a couple of 2 for 1s or 1 game only paydays to give themselves the ability for more program changing wins. The Big East from 2004 to 2012 didn't have any consistent top 10 teams that if Syracuse/UConn beat would give them a lot of respect nationally. This is just my objective opinion FWIW.

Agreed. Now that we're in a weak conference we need marquee OOC games. If the only way to schedule them is to accept 2-for-1s or paydays, that's OK as long as we can balance it with 2-for-1s or paydays with MAC teams and don't lose money in the process. The cost is that the marquee games are road games not home games.

We need to build up a fanbase that will show up regardless of opponent. If we can do that, we don't lose much by playing marquee games on the road. Having sold TV rights to ESPN for a pittance, there's no loss of TV revenue to having a weak home schedule.

Still, I'd look for every opportunity to schedule 1-for-1s with BCS opponents. The scheduling situation may not be as dire as you think.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn, with its current conference, can't afford a yearly game against PC. A one off home and home is possible. But UConn, because of RPI concerns, is scheduling Indiana, Texas, Washington, Maryland, Stanford and others right now. It only has so many home games left. Because it's trying for 6 or 7 top OOC games each and every year (more than the 4 we've been playing last couple of years) there's very little room for Providence. I'd like to see UConn play them every once in a while, but a yearly game is a no-go.

As for Buffalo and the like, both Syracuse and UConn have done home and homes with them. So has Pitt. I think 2 for 1s are asking too much since our schools only bring 35k to a game against Buffalo (Pitt less).

UConn did a bizarre deal with Buffalo where they got a 2:1 in football, a 1:1 in men's basketball and at least hosted Buffalo in women's basketball. They almost dumped the men's basketball game - it was like the second game
of the season if my memory isn't failing me.

Reaction Score
UConn did a bizarre deal with Buffalo where they got a 2:1 in football, a 1:1 in men's basketball and at least hosted Buffalo in women's basketball. They almost dumped the men's basketball game - it was like the second game
of the season if my memory isn't failing me.

It was a 2-2 in football no? I'm pretty sure it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom