For what it is worth | Page 7 | The Boneyard

For what it is worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You seem like a nice guy, and I don't think you set out to sound stupid, but that doesn't mean you didn't.

Michigan is the winningest program in the history of college football and they somehow fell for our "demand." So did Tennessee. So did Boise. BYU, too. (You may have heard of these programs.)

In the meantime, we're 6-3 lifetime against Syracuse, and that includes the stinkbomb we threw up this past fall at the Carrier Dome.

This isn't Syracuse bashing -- everything I have written is a fact.

I get that you're tickled to be headed to the ACC, but we still own you like a baby owns a diaper. I really don't see your point.
I appreciate the fact you realize I am trying to be respectful in my posts, and realize UConn fans aren't going to agree or like me. To your Michigan comment you guys did a good job getting Michigan, but I believe Michigan wanted a decent opponent for its first game at the renovated Big House and you guys had leverage and Michigan by the barrel and got them to agree to a home/home. I believe the new Michigan AD has tried to have that game moved to Metlife, but you guys rightfully refused and Michigan won't pay the 2 million dollar buyout. Boise and BYU have been announced recently and both of these agreements are solid home and homes I commend your AD, but almost any BCS team could get agreements with these schools because they aren't in BCS conferences even though they are solid Western programs.

Tennessee is a very impressive addition as well, and shows that some teams will give you 1/1s, but it won't be till 2015-2016 that series is played. I am sure it wasn't easy to get more teams to play 1/1, but what is wrong with taking a 1 game series @Ohio State and having absolutely nothing to lose or @Penn State with nothing to lose as you would be underdogs.

You are 6-3 against Syracuse and I can't say anything to dispute the fact UConn has won a clear majority of the games against Syracuse, but as I stated during this time frame Syracuse went through the worst era in the history of the program. We have started to turn it around the these past 4 years and you won 3 of 4 against us, but I would say Syracuse is on upswing and I don't know UConn's future as I hope for your fans sake that P has a better offense without D. UConn has won 2 Big East titles since 2004 and Syracuse has won 2 Big East titles since 2004.

We are happy to be going to the ACC, and I won't say anything else. Syracuse had ZERO voting rights when the UConn-Louisville debating went on. The rumor from this board I have read is that Syracuse was anti-UConn I don't know if that is fact, but if UConn was the better choice than they would have been selected. Florida State used its political capital to get who they felt was a better football program. Again, disagree with my statements, rip the SU fanbase I can't tell you guys what to do, but I will post if I feel a fact is being wrongly and stated I did when I was reading that your fans felt your Football brand was superior to Syracuse's.

Thanks for being respectful in your post responding to me.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the fact you realize I am trying to be respectful in my posts, and realize UConn fans aren't going to agree or like me. To your Michigan comment you guys did a good job getting Michigan, but I believe Michigan wanted a decent opponent for its first game at the renovated Big House and you guys had leverage and Michigan by the barrel and got them to agree to a home/home. I believe the new Michigan AD has tried to have that game moved to Metlife, but you guys rightfully refused and Michigan won't pay the 2 million dollar buyout. Boise and BYU have been announced recently and both of these agreements are solid home and homes I commend your AD, but almost any BCS team could get agreements with these schools because they aren't in BCS conferences even though they are solid Western programs.

Tennessee is a very impressive addition as well, and shows that some teams will give you 1/1s, but it won't be till 2015-2016 that series is played. I am sure it wasn't easy to get more teams to play 1/1, but what is wrong with taking a 1 game series @Ohio State and having absolutely nothing to lose or @Penn State with nothing to lose as you would be underdogs.

You are 6-3 against Syracuse and I can't say anything to dispute the fact UConn has won a clear majority of the games against Syracuse, but as I stated during this time frame Syracuse went through the worst era in the history of the program. We have started to turn it around the these past 4 years and you won 3 of 4 against us, but I would say Syracuse is on upswing and I don't know UConn's future as I hope for your fans sake that P has a better offense without D. UConn has won 2 Big East titles since 2004 and Syracuse has won 2 Big East titles since 2004.

We are happy to be going to the ACC, and I won't say anything else. Syracuse had ZERO voting rights when the UConn-Louisville debating went on. The rumor from this board I have read is that Syracuse was anti-UConn I don't know if that is fact, but if UConn was the better choice than they would have been selected. Florida State used its political capital to get who they felt was a better football program. Again, disagree with my statements, rip the SU fanbase I can't tell you guys what to do, but I will post if I feel a fact is being wrongly and stated I did when I was reading that your fans felt your Football brand was superior to Syracuse's.

Why do you effn care that UConn fans think Syracuse sucks?

Reaction Score
Alsacs, ( lol at name) how long have you been a Cuse fan? You don't remember when B C and Miami left and Cuse had their suitcase packed, ready until Va Senator Warner? intervened and ACC took Va Tech instead. Really, you don't remember?

Reaction Score
Alsacs, ( lol at name) how long have you been a Cuse fan? You don't remember when B C and Miami left and Cuse had their suitcase packed, ready until Va Senator Warner? intervened and ACC took Va Tech instead. Really, you don't remember?
I remember it vividly, but I can't say for certain why SU didn't join the lawsuit filed against the ACC. SU was offered the chance to join the lawsuit after Syracuse was Mark Warner'd out of the first ACC expansion in favor of Virginia Tech. I would add neither Boston College or Syracuse were added as plaintiffs after your AG sued the ACC with Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and Virginia Tech(oh the irony that they had to withdraw as a plaintiff) along with the Big East Conference were co-plaintiffs in your case.

I can't say with certainty why Syracuse never joined the lawsuit after they were left at the altar, but my guess would be they didn't see any merit in ruffling any feathers in ACC land and secondly they realized that the lawsuit filing wouldn't have kept Miami and Virginia Tech in the conference thus it was pointless to sue them in case they wanted to leave in the future.

Reaction Score
UCONN will be fine. It's time to buckle up and enjoy the new ride within the AAC. The exciting thing will be that it will be a lot of schools that are not historically associated with UCONN, and that means games with new schools and new experiences. Time to put expansion in the rear view mirror and start concentrating on the AAC.
Nope, sorry.

Reaction Score
If you are not going to buckle up and enjoy the ride what will you do? Cry and whine about something you have no control of?

I'm really hoping the games are well produced, and look good on TV. Improved offensive play from us would help. If nothing else, I hope this league forces us into a more wide open and entertaining offensive style, and that we are on TV enough that recruits won't forget about us.

Big East football at times was fugly.

Reaction Score
I'm really hoping the games are well produced, and look good on TV. Improved offensive play from us would help. If nothing else, I hope this league forces us into a more wide open and entertaining offensive style, and that we are on TV enough that recruits won't forget about us.

Big East football at times was fugly.

But it (we) put people in the NFL and outside a National Championship (and maybe a degree) - that's what recruits ultimately want - no?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
We're back to our winning ways now, and you guys will soon be left in the dust again, where you're supposed to be.

LOL, yeah OK. Can't wait to watch this unfold. You suck.

Reaction Score
This is what I don't get. If UConn was actively/admittedly blocking a rival from CR the way that BC and Syracuse have, it would be a source of embarrassment for me, not something I'd crow about.

I agree, but I think most UConn fans would be completely against UMass football joining the AAC (presuming we are stuck in it for a few years), based on similar sentiments as the BC and SU fans have towards UConn.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I think most UConn fans would be completely against UMass football joining the AAC (presuming we are stuck in it for a few years), based on similar sentiments as the BC and SU fans have towards UConn.

It's not that complicated. UMass did not make the investment that we did in our program and still hasn't. I'm not into giving them a ride on our coattails if they won't make the investment.

Reaction Score
It's not that complicated. UMass did not make the investment that we did in our program and still hasn't. I'm not into giving them a ride on our coattails if they won't make the investment.
So money is the determining factor for you. How much does the investment have to be? Umass has made an investment. Just increasing FB scholarships, paying up for coaches, conference entry fees, etc. Using your logic, has Uconn made enough of an investment to be in a better FB league? As is pointed out a bunch of times, Uconn has been at this a very short time so their total investment must not be enough to ride the coat tails of (insert some team here).

Uconn does not want Umass in the AAC for pretty much the same reason BC/Cuse do not want Uconn in the ACC, competition and not enhancing the level of football competition sufficiently to increase the revenue stream.

You are correct. It is all about the money.

Reaction Score
So money is the determining factor for you. How much does the investment have to be? Umass has made an investment. Just increasing FB scholarships, paying up for coaches, conference entry fees, etc. Using your logic, has Uconn made enough of an investment to be in a better FB league? As is pointed out a bunch of times, Uconn has been at this a very short time so their total investment must not be enough to ride the coat tails of (insert some team here).

Uconn does not want Umass in the AAC for pretty much the same reason BC/Cuse do not want Uconn in the ACC, competition and not enhancing the level of football competition sufficiently to increase the revenue stream.

i think programs should be with like programs. uconn has a $65M athletic budget. that is worthy of a power conference. the closest to uconns size is cincy at $40-45M.
that is my concern. are the other teams spending more or will uconn spend less.

U

UConn9604

Your logic is really self-defeating: originally you said that we have no right to demand 1-1s, but then you concede that Michigan agreed to one because they "wanted a decent [your word] opponent for its first game at the renovated Big House."

So, we have no leverage against anyone except 900-win programs looking to open the largest football stadium in the world against "decent" opponents? Doesn't Michigan sound like the type of program that gets bullied by upstarts?

There's nothing wrong with taking one-game series against schools; we did it against Notre Dame, and we took a 2-1 with Georgia Tech in 2002-2005. The free market of college football shows that those deals are ancient history, however. We have far more to offer now than we did then.

Also, if you believe that there's a constant amount of potential northeastern football success, that's a natural explanation for why UConn and Rutgers are up, and Syracuse and BC are down.

More directly: we didn't dominate Syracuse because they were bad. Rather, they were bad because we dominated them.

Finally, I think we'd agree that no one at Syracuse is anti-UConn from an institutional perspective, but last November, everyone in the ACC was going to do whatever was perceived to satisfy Florida State. Adding Louisville, which has a perception of having a better football program than we do (and, ironically, also won the national championship in hoops) instead of us did that, so Louisville won and we lost. That's it. There's no other explanation for why a conference that supposedly valued academics and wanted to add TV eyeballs would choose them over us.

Reaction Score

No, it's about the commitment to the program. UMass wouldn't even be in the MAC without Kraft giving them free rent.

Reaction Score
I believe that when Michigan reopened the renovated stadium the opponent that was to play cancelled which left a void on that date. Uconn had an open slot on that date, so we went to Michigan. The good thing is we negotiated a home and home series, which to their credit they are honoring ( mostly due to the $2 million buy out clause). Never the less I am thrilled that they are coming to the Rent. Some of their fans ( not many) seem enthused to be playing in a small stadium.

Reaction Score
Your brand blows.

You're a basketball add and being private helps gives Duke, Boston College and Wake another sister to sit with while the publics are off winning the ACC.

You watch, Fishy. We will be very competitive in the ACC. We've played most of these teams before. Our brand will be just fine in no time. At least we'll (continue to) be playing quality opponents. That's what gives you the opportunity to move up the ladder. I hope you guys schedule aggressively in the coming years. That's how you'll survive this time in the wilderness.

I think eventually you will get invited to a power conference. I think the Big 10 is probably your best bet. Makes so much sense to couple you with Rutgers. Now that the ACC is down to only 1 open spot, they're probably going to let Notre Dame pick the school (10 years from now) as their enticement to get them into the conference and I don't think ND is going to pick you.

Reaction Score
More directly: we didn't dominate Syracuse because they were bad. Rather, they were bad because we dominated them.

Didn't we beat you 40-10 in our final meeting for a long time? Yep, you sure passed us as a program.

Good luck with Pasqualoni.

U

UConn9604

Didn't we beat you 40-10 in our final meeting for a long time? Yep, you sure passed us as a program.

Did you miss the five in a row before that?

Good luck with Marrone.

GG

Reaction Score

At least you have one game to brag about. Amazing.

Reaction Score
Again to the Cuse fans, enjoy your moment in the slave-owning conference. If the B1G ever does comes calling for us someday in the next 5 years or so, your football program (and BC's) is toast. Pray it never happens.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
You watch, Fishy. We will be very competitive in the ACC. We've played most of these teams before. Our brand will be just fine in no time. At least we'll (continue to) be playing quality opponents. That's what gives you the opportunity to move up the ladder. I hope you guys schedule aggressively in the coming years. That's how you'll survive this time in the wilderness.

I think eventually you will get invited to a power conference. I think the Big 10 is probably your best bet. Makes so much sense to couple you with Rutgers. Now that the ACC is down to only 1 open spot, they're probably going to let Notre Dame pick the school (10 years from now) as their enticement to get them into the conference and I don't think ND is going to pick you.

Two things stand out about your post:

You're going to be the next BC

You're still in a conference dangling from ND's balls

Reaction Score

Remember when you got into that verbal fight in high school and you were being made fun of and you said......

"Yeah, well, you're fat..."

You are a fool and you just proved it.

Reaction Score
Your logic is really self-defeating: originally you said that we have no right to demand 1-1s, but then you concede that Michigan agreed to one because they "wanted a decent [your word] opponent for its first game at the renovated Big House."

So, we have no leverage against anyone except 900-win programs looking to open the largest football stadium in the world against "decent" opponents? Doesn't Michigan sound like the type of program that gets bullied by upstarts?

There's nothing wrong with taking one-game series against schools; we did it against Notre Dame, and we took a 2-1 with Georgia Tech in 2002-2005. The free market of college football shows that those deals are ancient history, however. We have far more to offer now than we did then.

Also, if you believe that there's a constant amount of potential northeastern football success, that's a natural explanation for why UConn and Rutgers are up, and Syracuse and BC are down.

Finally, I think we'd agree that no one at Syracuse is anti-UConn from an institutional perspective, but last November, everyone in the ACC was going to do whatever was perceived to satisfy Florida State. Adding Louisville, which has a perception of having a better football program than we do (and, ironically, also won the national championship in hoops) instead of us did that, so Louisville won and we lost. That's it. There's no other explanation for why a conference that supposedly valued academics and wanted to add TV eyeballs would choose them over us.
How is my argument self-defeating? UConn could have scheduled more difficult games from 2010 to 2012. The Big East got no respect nationally, and Syracuse didn't do much to help the conference, but we did play among the tougher non-conference schedules. I rooted for the BE in the non-conference games as I worried about SU's future, but I won't care as much now about non-conference games in the ACC.

I won't lie I don't dislike UConn football I am not a fan either, but as somebody else pointed out you had leverage to get to that 1-1 with Michigan when you played them in 2009. I would hope you would admit your non-conference schedules haven't been that challenging as you have been program building, but when the Big East was fighting for respect nationally only Cincinnati, West Virginia really stepped for the conference nationally.

I don't believe that whole Syracuse, Boston College, UConn, Rutgers can't all be solid at the same time myth. Rutgers recruits Florida, New Jersey, Syracuse recruits NYC, Western PA, Florida, I don't profess to know UConn and Boston College's recruiting hotbeds, but if all the teams recruits Florida, and Western PA there is enough talent to keep all programs solid. Boston College fell apart because their ex-coach Jags didn't capitalize on the recruiting trail when he had Matt Ryan as he didn't like recruiting. Syracuse fell apart because our facilities were weak(and they are getting made over as we in process of building an indoor practice facility). UConn has been inconsistent because I don't believe you have had a decent QB since Dan Orlovsky.

Also, I wouldn't say Rutgers and UConn are up. Rutgers has played nobody in the non-conference and their best bowl win is against a crappy NC State team. Syracuse has more Big East titles than Rutgers since 2004 2 to 1. Rutgers has been completely mediocre. UConn reached the Fiesta Bowl in 2010, but I wouldn't call you guys a top 25 program( I am not trying to be disrespectful) as Coach P has been your coach two years and you haven't reached a bowl in either year. Syracuse was down from 2003 to 2009, but I would say we have been mediocre these past 4 years rather than pure crap. Boston College has been pure crap because Spaziani was out of his league running that program, but I think Adazzio was a good hire that program.

To be blunt UConn won more games against Syracuse from 2005 to 2013 because our program went into its nadir and UConn was a top 50 which compared to Syracuse was a lot better. However, we are back to that top 50 level and games between our programs won't occur anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom