For the first time, I believe we may actually be screwed in the long run of conference realignment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For the first time, I believe we may actually be screwed in the long run of conference realignment

Reaction Score
Are you sure about that?

They have 75k employees there right now.

Next highest elsewhere? 14k in Cali. I know everyone made a big deal about South Carolina stealing them, but right now there are 8k employees in SC.
100% certain.... A company that builds things to go 600 mph carrying 300 people 20,000 feet in the air doesn't move that fast. Ask the people in Washington if they are concerned about where Boeing is going to make investments.

You can't make a move like that overnight. You need land, facilities, and skilled labor. That alone could take 5-10 years when you deal with local politicians trying to make their name in the deal. Not to mention you need to do this while still running the day to day operations.

Boeing may never be 100% out of Washington but the message was sent "We Out"....

Reaction Score
100% certain.... A company that builds things to go 600 mph carrying 300 people 20,000 feet in the air doesn't move that fast. Ask the people in Washington if they are concerned about where Boeing is going to make investments.

You can't make a move like that overnight. You need land, facilities, and skilled labor. That alone could take 5-10 years when you deal with local politicians trying to make their name in the deal. Not to mention you need to do this while still running the day to day operations.

Boeing may never be 100% out of Washington but the message was sent "We Out"....

But, the point is, they are heavily in Seattle. Any bleating for tax breaks is just that. There is a whole history of companies moving to tax free areas and finding it is not what it is cracked up to be. Honda in Alabama, for instance, or VW in Tennessee.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Big 12 is on its deathbed. Not sure if it will happen in the next few years or if they'll wait out the Grant of Rights and start jumping around 2023, but it seems a pretty good bed. it's dead. That means anywhere between 10-26 spots that will opening up for a four conference power structure in an upper subdivision. It's going to happen IMHO. UConn will have a seat at the table in the Big Ten or ACC by 2025. I'd be shocked if not. I know my opinion doesn't meany anything to you all, but just read the tea leaves closely and it would be hard to believe otherwise.

There is too much legacy riff raff in the existing P5 conferences for CR to remain static for that long. If the P5 wanted to start over with 80 teams split 5 ways, then we surely get in.
We're too good a university, in too good a market to languish forever or even 10 yrs. In the meantime, we keep doing what we're doing academically and keep it going athletically. Which means that HCBD has to get his head out of his @$$ now or disappear. Also, strategically appoint BOT members. No more political chums who don't advance our reputation or prospects in CR. Get people on the BOT that can help us with $$$ or with CR.

My fear is that when the "Super Conferences" are created in 10 years, that it will basically be a deal between the existing P5 conferences to take care of each other. So basically what will happen is that the B12 will dissolve into the other 4 conferences to form 4 Super Conferences of 16 teams--but only include the schools "already in the club". Something to the effect of:

B1G : Texas & Kansas
SEC : Oklahoma & TCU
ACC : Notre Dame (full) & West Virginia
PAC : Oklahoma St & Texas Tech & Kansas St & Iowa St

Boom. 4 Conferences. 64 Teams. UConn is left in the dumpster.

Reaction Score
My fear is that when the "Super Conferences" are created in 10 years, that it will basically be a deal between the existing P5 conferences to take care of each other. So basically what will happen is that the B12 will dissolve into the other 4 conferences to form 4 Super Conferences of 16 teams--but only include the schools "already in the club". Something to the effect of:

We have far more value than half of those schools and you think we're going to be left behind....

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
We have far more value than half of those schools and you think we're going to be left behind....

Possibly.

We have far more value than half the teams picked before us for expansion in the past 15 years. But that has meant nothing. So unfortunately, rational thought and analysis does not necessarily hold here.

If they were to start from scratch and build the 64 best schools by an unbiased panel--yes we would be in. But if the super conferences are formed based on the existing power structure and conferences--I think there is a better chance than not that we are left out.

Reaction Score
But, the point is, they are heavily in Seattle. Any bleating for tax breaks is just that. There is a whole history of companies moving to tax free areas and finding it is not what it is cracked up to be. Honda in Alabama, for instance, or VW in Tennessee.
Per the Boeing website, in 2012 they had 86K people in WA. Currently they have 74K. That's 12K jobs or roughly 14% of the workforce. Ask the people in WA, or the politicians how they feel about that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Things that have yet to happen, in my opinion:

1. Big 12 implosion - will it happen before 2024 (would need multiple departures to circumvent GOR clause)? I think we can all agree that the long term outlook (post 2024) for the Big 12 is on life support. ESPN manipulated them big time and 7/8 current members will find themselves in the desperate "UConn Club" once the Big 12 falls apart. Personally, I don't think Texas will leave until it absolutely, positively has to (read: OU leads a mass exodus out). By default, that cements the Texas faction to the conference and should provide some measure of stability until the GOR expires.

2. Notre Dame has to pick a side - Independence or ACC? There is zero incentive for ND to join the ACC from a financial standpoint. They get full share of ACCN money PLUS full share of their own NBC money. If UConn had a similar sweetheart deal handed to them by the ACC, I wouldn't want to give up independence either. But as long as the CFB Playoff remains at 4 entrants, the odds of a 2-loss ND team, with 12 games, getting into the Playoff field are not good. The *ONLY* reason for Notre Dame to join the ACC is to get a shot at playing that coveted, meaningful 13th game and, thus, improve their Playoff resume. What I think will happen is that the Playoff field will be expanded to 8 and that will buy ND a few more years to make a decision.

3. Monopolizing the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Yes, yes...there is too much "history" and warm fuzzy feelings surrounding those feel-good Cinderella stories (F George Mason), but at some point, the Power schools are going to take a good, hard look into how they can make more money from basketball. Why? Youth football participation rates are at record lows. The NFL is incredibly behind the times in enacting player safety rules and concussion effects are a very, real and scary consequence of playing a game. At some point, sports fans won't have the same blood-thirsty love of football. Whether it comes from the long overdue player safety rules being enacted or from the declining numbers of kids playing football in favor of other sports, who knows. Basketball is America's second favorite sport, for the most part, and the Tournament is always must-see TV. Right now, the NCAA owns it and, as a result, controls the cash flow. But that can and will come to an end. For the same reasons why power schools began monopolizing football money, they will want to monopolize basketball money. Big schools with big fanbases don't want to share money with small schools - which is what most of the G5 and mid-major basketball conferences, like the Big East, consist of. This likely won't happen for a while but it will happen.

Reaction Score
That's how I have felt since the day Louisville was selected for the ACC over us. All these positive posters on here for years have always made me scratch my head. UConn is screwed for all the wrong reasons despite being very competitive for all the right reasons.

We are being kept out of the club, stepped on too many toes over our rise maybe.

Yea that was the gut punch I never recovered from either. I tried to lie to myself for a while, but the fact of the matter remains that literally nothing that has happened in conference realignment has benefitted UConn in any way and most has directly harmed UConn. That's pretty remarkable. Why should I think that's going to change? It's masochistic to.

Reaction Score
Per the Boeing website, in 2012 they had 86K people in WA. Currently they have 74K. That's 12K jobs or roughly 14% of the workforce. Ask the people in WA, or the politicians how they feel about that.

The point is, they are not moving out.

They downsized during a recession? A lot of people have. Boeing also isn't selling any planes like they used to. But when your Washington workforce is 5-6x larger than any other? I could hardly call that moving out of Washington. I mean, that's a huge employer, the size of a small city.

Reaction Score

Boeing moved their headquarters to Chicago in 2001. Boeing had ~197k total employees and 79.5k in Washington. Today, Boeing has ~155k employees with ~75k employees in Washington. I don't think moving the HQ to Chicago has been a real issue for employment in Washington.

As for ESPN, you would never threaten a large employer in the state as Connecticut needs job growth, but I think the Governor making a call to ESPN was the right thing to do. I don't believe the conspiracy theories about ESPN wanting UConn out of the P5 and I think UConn will end up in a good place in the future.

Reaction Score
[

Ya, the P12 ain't signing up for that deal, but it does abide by rule #1.

Reaction Score

Possibly.

We have far more value than half the teams picked before us for expansion in the past 15 years. But that has meant nothing. So unfortunately, rational thought and analysis does not necessarily hold here.

If they were to start from scratch and build the 64 best schools by an unbiased panel--yes we would be in. But if the super conferences are formed based on the existing power structure and conferences--I think there is a better chance than not that we are left out.
We get what you're fearing. But what is the rationale for you believeing as you do? Conference Realignment Rule 1 doesn't count.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
We get what you're fearing. But what is the rationale for you believeing as you do? Conference Realignment Rule 1 doesn't count.

The last 5 years of reality.

Between Louisville getting in the ACC over UConn, then the back-room dealings of the B12/Networks the past couple months. Just has me feeling that the script has now been finished, and UConn has been cut from the movie.

Reaction Score
I don't follow UConn sports as closely as many on this site but..... had you told me in the year 2010 that UConn would be on the outside looking in as a non power conference member then I would thought that you were F ' ing nuts.

Many on this site point blame on ESPN for UConn's seemingly being "blackballed" in the conference reshuffle. I would appreciate if someone would please explain how ESPN has contributed to Conn's failure to land in a P5 conference.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
I don't follow UConn sports as closely as many on this site but..... had you told me in the year 2010 that UConn would be on the outside looking in as a non power conference member then I would thought that you were F ' ing nuts.

Many on this site point blame on ESPN for UConn's seemingly being "blackballed" in the conference reshuffle. I would appreciate if someone would please explain how ESPN has contributed to Conn's failure to land in a P5 conference.

Thanks.

Here's a thread on it. Who actually brings value

The two arguments are:

1. ESPN destroyed the Big East when the BE was negotiating a $13m a year payout per team.
2. ESPN takes money from UConn and uses it to fund loss leaders like the ACC. The total payout for the AAC is 11 teams x 1.8m = 19.8m.

Reaction Score
The last 5 years of reality.

Between Louisville getting in the ACC over UConn, then the back-room dealings of the B12/Networks the past couple months. Just has me feeling that the script has now been finished, and UConn has been cut from the movie.
Okay, so basically, Conference Realignment Rule 1. Thanks for starting a whole thread about it

Reaction Score
Things that have yet to happen, in my opinion:

1. Big 12 implosion - will it happen before 2024 (would need multiple departures to circumvent GOR clause)? I think we can all agree that the long term outlook (post 2024) for the Big 12 is on life support. ESPN manipulated them big time and 7/8 current members will find themselves in the desperate "UConn Club" once the Big 12 falls apart. Personally, I don't think Texas will leave until it absolutely, positively has to (read: OU leads a mass exodus out). By default, that cements the Texas faction to the conference and should provide some measure of stability until the GOR expires.

2. Notre Dame has to pick a side - Independence or ACC? There is zero incentive for ND to join the ACC from a financial standpoint. They get full share of ACCN money PLUS full share of their own NBC money. If UConn had a similar sweetheart deal handed to them by the ACC, I wouldn't want to give up independence either. But as long as the CFB Playoff remains at 4 entrants, the odds of a 2-loss ND team, with 12 games, getting into the Playoff field are not good. The *ONLY* reason for Notre Dame to join the ACC is to get a shot at playing that coveted, meaningful 13th game and, thus, improve their Playoff resume. What I think will happen is that the Playoff field will be expanded to 8 and that will buy ND a few more years to make a decision.

3. Monopolizing the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Yes, yes...there is too much "history" and warm fuzzy feelings surrounding those feel-good Cinderella stories (F George Mason), but at some point, the Power schools are going to take a good, hard look into how they can make more money from basketball. Why? Youth football participation rates are at record lows. The NFL is incredibly behind the times in enacting player safety rules and concussion effects are a very, real and scary consequence of playing a game. At some point, sports fans won't have the same blood-thirsty love of football. Whether it comes from the long overdue player safety rules being enacted or from the declining numbers of kids playing football in favor of other sports, who knows. Basketball is America's second favorite sport, for the most part, and the Tournament is always must-see TV. Right now, the NCAA owns it and, as a result, controls the cash flow. But that can and will come to an end. For the same reasons why power schools began monopolizing football money, they will want to monopolize basketball money. Big schools with big fanbases don't want to share money with small schools - which is what most of the G5 and mid-major basketball conferences, like the Big East, consist of. This likely won't happen for a while but it will happen.

Notre Dame will not give up its current status unless the playoffs are legally mandated as 4 conference champs only. Until then, ND will maintain the status quo at all costs.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will not give up its current status unless the playoffs are legally mandated as 4 conference champs only. Until then, ND will maintain the status quo at all costs.

At all costs? $10m when your competition gets $50m?

Reaction Score
At all costs? $10m when your competition gets $50m?

That is not ever going to be a relevant scenario.

With the new NBC deal at $22-23 million per year (not the $15 million from the 2010-15 deal as reported by the media) and with the partial ACC share for basketball ($6.4 million a year, I believe), plus the full ACC Network share, plus the $9 million/year plus from Under Armour plus the millions in alumni donations that may dry up if ND forsakes independence, the money will not be the deciding issue on keeping independence.

Money is not the driving issue with ND. If it were, ND would be in the Big Ten for all sports. ND turned down bigger TV money from the Big Ten in favor of independence.

Reaction Score
That is not ever going to be a relevant scenario.

With the new NBC deal at $22-23 million per year (not the $15 million from the 2010-15 deal as reported by the media) and with the partial ACC share for basketball ($6.4 million a year, I believe), plus the full ACC Network share, plus the $9 million/year plus from Under Armour plus the millions in alumni donations that may dry up if ND forsakes independence, the money will not be the deciding issue on keeping independence.

Money is not the driving issue with ND. If it were, ND would be in the Big Ten for all sports. ND turned down bigger TV money from the Big Ten in favor of independence.

When does the new NBC deal end?

As for the rest, all your competition has big jersey, licensing, coaching show deals as well, so that stuff cancels. It's the TV money that is key.

Reaction Score
When does the new NBC deal end?

As for the rest, all your competition has big jersey, licensing, coaching show deals as well, so that stuff cancels. It's the TV money that is key.

Well, all of the other NBC deals from 1991 until 2015 were five year deals. They were all renewed.

The new deal is a ten year deal that ends in 2025. My guess is that it will be renewed around 2023.

TV money alone is not the key, not for ND. It worries more about hardcore indy loving alumni and fans withholding millions in donations (as they have threatened often since 1999) if football joins a conference than it is the possible incremental difference in TV money.

It also strongly believes that football joining a conference will diminish its brand and national status. That is the fate it strongly wants to avoid, extra TV money be damned.

That is what other fans miss. ND knew that it was walking away from significant TV dollars from the Big Ten when it went for continued indy status and a partial ACC deal.

It rejected the Big Ten (would that conference have taken ND with one phone call inn 2012?), anyway, and went in the other direction. If TV money is everything, why would a school voluntarily walk away from the much better TV deal?

Do you know of any other school in CR history that has done so?

Reaction Score
Well, all of the other NBC deals from 1991 until 2015 were five year deals. They were all renewed.

The new deal is a ten year deal that ends in 2025. My guess is that it will be renewed around 2023.

TV money alone is not the key, not for ND. It worries more about hardcore indy loving alumni and fans withholding millions in donations (as they have threatened often since 1999) if football joins a conference than it is the possible incremental difference in TV money.

It also strongly believes that football joining a conference will diminish its brand and national status. That is the fate it strongly wants to avoid, extra TV money be damned.

That is what other fans miss. ND knew that it was walking away from significant TV dollars from the Big Ten when it went for continued indy status and a partial ACC deal.

It rejected the Big Ten, anyway, and went in the other direction. If TV money is everything, why would a school voluntarily walk away from the much better TV deal?

Do you know of any other school in CR history that has done so?

I get all that.

Never said otherwise.

But if ND is at a huge disadvantage when it comes to $$, it won't survive.

The TV gap is not there with ND--you are doing fine. But if things change, there is no way you can compete with teams that make $30-40m more than you.

Reaction Score
I get all that.

Never said otherwise.

But if ND is at a huge disadvantage when it comes to $$, it won't survive.

The TV gap is not there with ND--you are doing fine. But if things change, there is no way you can compete with teams that make $30-40m more than you.

And if a meteor hits.....

Reaction Score
And if a meteor hits.....

Wait, so you think ND becoming bad, killing ratings, and NBC offering $15-20m is like a meteor hitting? NBC is not going to support you if the ratings tank and you have many more years like this one.

Reaction Score
Wait, so you think ND becoming bad, killing ratings, and NBC offering $15-20m is like a meteor hitting? NBC is not going to support you if the ratings tank and you have many more years like this one.

I don't fear such a thing, at all, sorry. That is not something that ND fans really are worried about. People have been predicting NBC would drop ND for about fifteen or more years. NBC renewed every time the deal was close to ending and doubled the deal's time frame in 2015.

ND fans are pissed at Kelly for this season but he won 12, 9, 8 and 10 games the four seasons before this one. ND is likely much closer to returning to 9-10 wins than likely having 3-9 seasons beyond this year.

I know people want ND football to join a conference and keep trying to come up with Doomsday scenarios since Lou Holtz left in 1996 but there is nothing on the horizon except that 4x16 playoff issue that ND is remotely concerned about regarding its status.

You could not find more than one or two ND fans on any CR site. CR is not really ever talked about on ND boards. It is not something that remotely concerns them.

Take care, I enjoy your posts here and on CCSNbbs.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom