For Big Ten, expansion does not appear on horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

By ANDREW SELIGMAN
May. 17, 2016 5:13 PM EDT

ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) — While the Big 12 mulls adding members, Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez sounded like he wasn't quite sure what to make of the view from the sideline with the Big Ten.

On the one hand, he said watching from a distance is "kind of interesting."

On the other?

"When you're not involved, it's kind of boring," Alvarez said.

The Big Ten not too long ago was one of the key players in the waves of expansion that reshaped the college landscape in recent years, adding Nebraska and then Rutgers and Maryland. But don't expect the conference to grow from 14 anytime soon.

Athletic directors gathered at the Big Ten headquarters for meetings this week said the topic has not been discussed.

It's a sharp contrast from the Big 12, where presidents are considering expansion from 10 teams. The league is mulling whether adding two more members, splitting into divisions and playing a football championship game will increase its revenue and chances of participating in the College Football Playoff.

"We have other things that we're focused on," Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst said. "The stability is terrific, that's for sure."

A big issue looming for the Big Ten is its media rights deal, and there was not much news along those lines on Tuesday. Athletic directors expressed their support for Commissioner Jim Delany and the belief that the package he delivers will be a victory for the conference.

"Jim's really good at the component," Michigan State's Mark Hollis said. "We have high confidence in what he's doing and that process is still under way. I think he's heard from all of us on what's important and what's important to each institution."

Eichorst called Delany a "great communicator" who "tries to stay ahead" and "outside the box." Those traits along with the results he has delivered have helped create at least a public unity among conference members.

It will be Delany's job to help bring home a new primary rights package with the Big Ten's 10-year, $1 billion deal with ESPN expiring in 2017. So does a six-year, $72 million basketball deal with CBS that includes the conference tournament semifinals and final.

Sports Business Journal, citing sources, reported last month the Big Ten was close to selling half its media rights to Fox for $250 million annually as part of a six-year deal. If that happens, ESPN along with perhaps another network or two could pick up the remaining half.

None of the athletic directors were blinking at least publicly about the possibility of the Big Ten breaking ties with the leading sports network.

"I think ESPN has value," Hollis said. "But at the same time, that value has to attach to what our value is. That's what the conversation piece is. The important brand for us is the Big Ten Conference and not any one television entity."

Eichorst said there is no "concern" about the possibility that ESPN won't be part of the next media deal.

"I think folks thought Jim was way outside the box with the Big Ten Network back in the day," he said. "I don't see any hand-wringing in the room or any anxious folks in the room about what the platform might look like. I think we all suspect that it will be very robust."

Reaction Score
Implication is clear: ESPN, Big Ten might divorce

Implication is clear: ESPN, Big Ten might divorce
Teddy Greenstein Contact Reporter Chicago Tribune

At least half of the Big Ten media rights package remains up for grabs, with Fox Sports having secured the first half.

Northwestern athletic director Jim Phillips on Wednesday addressed the possibility that ABC/ESPN will not be part of the remaining package:

“The Big Ten will do what’s best for the Big Ten, and ESPN has to take that same position. Everyone is watching what’s happening in the television world, the un-bundling that’s taking place, different platforms available now that maybe weren’t in the last go-around for TV contracts. This isn’t pointing a finger at ESPN in any way, stating you have to or don’t have to participate as a partner of the Big Ten. It’s more about: Can the two groups come together?

“No one has amnesia about the relationship we have had with ESPN. John Skipper and that group, they have been a wonderful partner. But we’re at a different place and I think they’re at a different place in 2016 than we were in the last round (of negotiations). That doesn’t mean we can’t get to the altar together and get married again. But we’re at the dating stage right now. And that’s a process. You’d love to continue to stay married with that partner but ultimately you have to do what’s in the best interests of the 14 institutions and that’s where Jim (Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany) is tremendous. He has the support and confidence of not only the athletic directors, but more important, the presidents. He will move us forward.”

Reaction Score
A) A topic as sensitive as conference additions won't be debated publicly.
B) You can bet the ranch the topic of realignment has been broached in TV negotiations.
C) The B1G has NOT locked down the northeast (a stated objective). Any suggestion that realignment isn't/won't/shouldn't be part of discussions as to how to achieve that objective is ridiculous on its face.

Reaction Score
While I generally agree that if you're not on ESPN, you're not on, if there is one league that can break that pattern its the B1G.

Unlike the Big East which took their mediocre basketball content, driven by small catholic schools with little appeal outside of a handful of cities and tiny alumni base, and basically put it on Mars, the B1G could make life without ESPN work.

14 schools with state/region-wide appeal, rabid fan bases and huge alumni networks playing in the two major revenue sports could actually make it work.

Reaction Score
While I generally agree that if you're not on ESPN, you're not on, if there is one league that can break that pattern its the B1G.

Unlike the Big East which took their mediocre basketball content, driven by small catholic schools with little appeal outside of a handful of cities and tiny alumni base, and basically put it on Mars, the B1G could make life without ESPN work.

14 schools with state/region-wide appeal, rabid fan bases and huge alumni networks playing in the two major revenue sports could actually make it work.
Except that the upper Midwest is dying.

Reaction Score
Except that the upper Midwest is dying.

Yes, but their fans and alumni aren't disappearing into a cloud of smoke. They are moving east, hence you have B1G member Rutgers.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I still don't buy that the B1G alone will push FS1 to relevance. When the average person turns on their tv for sports they go to ESPN. I bet 90% of people couldn't even tell you where FS1 is on their TV. Watching a football game won't change that. After the game is over they'll go right back to watching ESPN for anything else sports related.

It's a start but I don't see the B1G being this massive entity that will drive FS1 to glory.

Reaction Score
When Saturday comes around and I'm looking for a game to watch, I scroll through the sports channels to find the best game.

If ESPN has W Michigan vs Toledo and F1 has Mich vs Michigan St I'll have no problem finding F1 as it is listed with all of my sports channels and is actually closer to ESPN than BTN and the SEC channel.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But ESPN isn't going to have Western Michigan vs Toledo, they're going to have Auburn verses LSU or Notre Dame vs Clemson or West Virginia vs Baylor.

You're never going to make it o FS1.

Reaction Score
Yes, but their fans and alumni aren't disappearing into a cloud of smoke. They are moving east, hence you have B1G member Rutgers.
There are more B1G fans in the Phoenix area than ASU fans.

Reaction Score
But ESPN isn't going to have Western Michigan vs Toledo, they're going to have Auburn verses LSU or Notre Dame vs Clemson or West Virginia vs Baylor.

You're never going to make it o FS1.

So when you go out to eat you don't look at the whole menu, you just stop at the first thing that grabs your attention yes?

Granted, by now you have the Mickey D's menu down pat, but still....

Reaction Score
So when you go out to eat you don't look at the whole menu, you just stop at the first thing that grabs your attention yes?

Granted, by now you have the Mickey D's menu down pat, but still....

You're ignoring the fact that a ton of people, and not just bars and airport lounges, will park the TV on ESPN and leave it there all damn day. They don't know where to find NBCSN, let alone FS1, on their cable system. Even if it's only one or two channels away from ESPN in the program guide. That's the mystical power ESPN has. It's stupid, but it exists.

Reaction Score
The other thing I can't understand.

Can FS2 not afford HD? Why is FS2 in a tiny box?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You do not want to enter into a scenario where you're not on ESPN.

Frank the Tank said much the same. ESPN game day, etc. from Ann Arbor and Columbus is something they probably don't want to give up.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If ESPN wants to save money- have Game Day at PAWSARF with UCONN hosting Oklahoma in a pivotal Big12 match up!! Saves on travel and I am sure UCONN can accomodate;)

Reaction Score
You're ignoring the fact that a ton of people, and not just bars and airport lounges, will park the TV on ESPN and leave it there all damn day. They don't know where to find NBCSN, let alone FS1, on their cable system. Even if it's only one or two channels away from ESPN in the program guide. That's the mystical power ESPN has. It's stupid, but it exists.

You might be right about bars and airports but as far as football fans go they do not just turn on ESPN and leave it. Not even close.

The problem lies in not being on the the multiple ESPN channels. I only see F1 on my Comcast list of sports channels so only having F1 televise your league games compared to a host of ESPN channels, including the ESPMWatch platform, is where the problem would lie.

Reaction Score
You might be right about bars and airports but as far as football fans go they do not just turn on ESPN and leave it. Not even close.

The problem lies in not being on the the multiple ESPN channels. I only see F1 on my Comcast list of sports channels so only having F1 televise your league games compared to a host of ESPN channels, including the ESPMWatch platform, is where the problem would lie.

Not a huge football fan, but I never knew what CBS Sports Channel was either until UConn started playing basketball games on it. I quickly figured out what channel it was (I didn't get it) and then I called up and added it.

Of course there are advantages to playing on ESPN, but when #1 Michigan is playing #4 MSU -- it doesn't matter what channel it's on. You find it.

Reaction Score
I do not have CBS Sports channel or Fox Sports 2, so for selfish reasons, I do not want B1G games on those particular channels.

I do have most other sports channels, including Fox Sports 1, NBC Sports, the Turner networks, and obviously the ESPN networks, so I'm fine with the B1G airing on any of those networks.

I have full faith in whatever Delany decides to do. He is the best commissioner out there. I have no idea what the guy is like as a person - good or bad - but he leads the way in terms of his line of work.

Reaction Score
I only watch UConn games or teams we will play in the future. I will watch another game for a few minutes but I really have no interest in other conferences' schools. I would not go out of my way to look for them either.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Speculation from OSU's SBN blog... nothing definitive or even probable, but UConn is among the names he comes up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom