For all y'all who hate how Randy left | The Boneyard

For all y'all who hate how Randy left

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That has to be the best Edsall moment. The happy dance after, I think, Todman converted a 4th down vs Pitt deep in our own territory has to be number 2.

I can almost picture the Edall sideline squat from here come September. ..

Reaction Score
For me it's not about how he left UConn. The reason I don't want him back at UConn is because I didn't like his offensive or defensive schemes. Also, I didn't think he was a good recruiter. During the last two years of his time here I remember the frustration felt by his "bend but don't break defense" and the lack of creativity on his offense. But to his credit even with his less known recruits he certainly did develop the players very well. Still I would rather move past him and go with a more nationally known commodity.

Reaction Score
and I completely agree that he left poorly. I give you this. Try not to cry. This guy loves UConn and hated Hathaway. Think we can all relate.

Too boring, Why would we want to go back to that? (sarcasm off)

Reaction Score
For me it's not about how he left UConn. The reason I don't want him back at UConn is because I didn't like his offensive or defensive schemes. Also, I didn't think he was a good recruiter. During the last two years of his time here I remember the frustration felt by his "bend but don't break defense" and the lack of creativity on his offense. But to his credit even with his less known recruits he certainly did develop the players very well. Still I would rather move past him and go with a more nationally known commodity.
I hear ya. But the last six years have been infintely more frustrating. I don't know. Maybe I'm looking through the rear view mirror instead of the wind shield. But all things considered RE did the job here

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This video reminds me of why I don't want him back. I think if he felt this strong a bond, he wouldn't have left the way he did. I rooted hard for him to fail at Maryland.
scha·den·freu·de
ˈSHädənˌfroidə/
noun
noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude
  1. pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

Reaction Score
This video reminds me of why I don't want him back. I think if he felt this strong a bond, he wouldn't have left the way he did. I rooted hard for him to fail at Maryland.
scha·den·freu·de
ˈSHädənˌfroidə/
noun

You have either had way too much to drink or....yeah, that's it, way too much to drink. (SMH)

Reaction Score
scha·den·freu·de
ˈSHädənˌfroidə/
noun
The back story with Hathaway. Your ire should be directed down to Hofstra where Jeffie now is the AD and not at Randy. He's a good man

Reaction Score
And yet, in 12 years he beat as many Top 25 teams (1) as Pasqualoni and Diaco did. That is much more important to me than how he left or how emotional he was after the ND game.

Reaction Score
Randy is the single most intense coach I have ever met. He was perfect at the time he was hired. Strict, focused and excited by the challenge of building an upstart to a contender. He pissed off the media, local high school coaches but he got the job done.

He is not the man for this program today and I seriously doubt he is the de facto final guy. He pissed off a lot of powerful people in this state. I'm not sure Benedict has the political capital to bring him back. I'm not sure he is the right man to coach at this time.

I can almost guarantee that none of these rumors is coming from the Uconn side.

Reaction Score
I hear ya. But the last six years have been infintely more frustrating. I don't know. Maybe I'm looking through the rear view mirror instead of the wind shield. But all things considered RE did the job here
Randy did a mediocre job in a conference that was falling apart. How many 4 star athletes did he bring in? How many top 10 finishes did he have here? In his one BCS bowl game appearance what happened besides UConn getting humiliated by a Big12 team and him checking his watch in the fourth quarter? no thanks, UConn deserves a lot better than that and should not accept anything less than a proven P-5 head coach that can set this program up for the next realignment invite.

Reaction Score
Randy did a mediocre job in a conference that was falling apart. How many 4 star athletes did he bring in? How many top 10 finishes did he have here? In his one BCS bowl game appearance what happened besides UConn getting humiliated by a Big12 team and him checking his watch in the fourth quarter? no thanks, UConn deserves a lot better than that and should not accept anything less than a proven P-5 head coach that can set this program up for the next realignment invite.
How many top 10 finishes in the freaking AAC have we had since he left?

Reaction Score

LOL coming from P's last defender.

Reaction Score
Not true. By 2004 we were already in the BE.
In the Big East with no history. Jesus. You think that was a level playing field? Against VA Tech. West Virginia. Pitt. BC. Terrible argument. We were in trailers for Chris sakes

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We had relative success with Randy 6+ years ago.

We've been terrible since.

Ergo... in 2016 Randy is our best choice?

Sure he'd be better than Diaco but so would most any warm body.

People 'member our era of relative success - I get it - but what real reasons are there that make him the BEST choice TODAY? Look at all the great coaches hired around the AAC and RE is the best we can do?

It's very, very disappointing and I think people are warm with nostalgia to think we'll just revert back to our prior succsss.

I'll wish for it, I'll hope for it, I'll attend games but it's so... small minded. And I say that as a former Apologista as well.

Reaction Score
We had relative success with Randy 6+ years ago.

We've been terrible since.

Ergo... in 2016 Randy is our best choice?

Sure he'd be better than Diaco but so would most any warm body.

People 'member our era of relative success - I get it - but what real reasons are there that make him the BEST choice TODAY? Look at all the great coaches hired around the AAC and RE is the best we can do?

It's very, very disappointing and I think people are warm with nostalgia to think we'll just revert back to our prior succsss.

I'll wish for it, I'll hope for it, I'll attend games but it's so... small minded. And I say that as a former Apologista as well.
Completely understand. So who would you target?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'll wager that I was as big an apologista as anyone on this board when RE was here. I appreciate greatly what he did for the program and as I have been told by a number of kids who were on the airplane home from Arizona (without him) that he was forgiven, I don't see how I can hold a grudge on his departure.

That said, I would view his return, at this point as a bitter disappointment. It would signal that DB has very limited vision, it would tell the world that it is quite likely we aren't a place where quality coaches can succeed but rather a place where one unique skill set can do pretty well but once he's gone, forget the possibility of repeating that success and it will reinforce the idea that we aren't really a football school, just a basketball school that is trying to pass itself off as something it really is not.

Reaction Score
Completely understand. So who would you target?
That really is up to Benedict. I like Bobby Wilder. I like Don Brown or Todd Orlando.

I could get behind Randy 2.0, but he struggled to land a QB at Maryland also. It worries me.

Reaction Score
If you listen really hard you can hear me in the UConn chant @ the end;)

One of the best in-person sports events of my life.
Loved hearing you in the background and the great shot of The Block C. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom