Flyover for the Nova game | The Boneyard

Flyover for the Nova game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like we'll get a fly over from a bird. Bald Eagle to be specific. $10 tix for Pratt employees too. Maybe we get to 30k for this one?

Reaction Score
Since moving here from CT almost 30 years ago I have come to favor Bama over Auburn for a number of reasons having to do with proximity to Bham and business connections. Never the less, I have to admit that the most exciting moment I have ever experienced at a FB game was the eagle flight at Jordan-Hare before the first Iron Bowl played there. The sound was deafening and grown men were crying over finally forcing Bama to give up the home field advantage it had always enjoyed at Legion Field.

Reaction Score
This is a flyover not some freaking bird
Site_Summit_and_B-52_flyover.jpg

Reaction Score
I believe you are not familiar with all the definitions of the word "fly."

fly·o·ver
ˈflīˌōvər/
noun
noun: flyover; plural noun: flyovers; noun: fly-over; plural noun: fly-overs
North American
a low flight by one or more aircraft over a specific location.

OR

fly·o·ver
(flī′ō′vər)
n.
1. A flight over a specific location, usually at low altitude, as by a formation of military aircraft.
2. Chiefly British An overpass, as on a highway.

Reaction Score
fly·o·ver
ˈflīˌōvər/
noun
noun: flyover; plural noun: flyovers; noun: fly-over; plural noun: fly-overs
North American
a low flight by one or more aircraft over a specific location.

OR

fly·o·ver
(flī′ō′vər)
n.
1. A flight over a specific location, usually at low altitude, as by a formation of military aircraft.
2. Chiefly British An overpass, as on a highway.
Yes, but I didn't say you didn't understand the definition of flyover. I said you didn't know the definition of fly. Further, you posted a picture of a B-52 that doesn't seem to show it flying over a specific location, it seems to be flying over a mountain. By the position of the flaps, it may be landing.

We live in a "Clintonian" world, parse your words, carefully.

BTW, what Challenger does meets all the criteria of a "flyover" with the lone exception he is not a craft. That would seem to be close enough for government work.

Reaction Score
The best flyover I ever saw was a few years ago at the Army-Navy Game in Philadelphia. Well before the National Anthem they flew over the stadium in two waves. I was sitting about 8 rows from the top of the stadium in one of the end zones. After the National Anthem they flew in from the opposite end zone. You could see these dots approaching getting bigger and bigger as they approached and then went over the stadium. Seemed like they were 50 feet away. They were followed by 6 Apache Helicopters, not as dramatic as the Blue Angels but still impressive. After they passed the Blue Angels came of the stadium again this time from sideline to sideline. An amazing display.

Reaction Score
would rather see the bald eagle than a fighter jet. Very cool statement by the school. When a fighter jet flies over you think. Ok the game is starting. When the eagle gets released its going to be like where is it got to see it. Then goosebumps. A very effective beginning to the game I hope they keep the tradition

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wonder if the bird idea is because most military aircraft available for something like this use GE engines. Like the one they had on Opening Day against Indiana.

Reaction Score
Almost sad that you had to make the connection for some people.

As for military jets, -22's out of Langley would be the closest combat jets that are Pratt powered and not 30 years old.
Have the Collings Foundation fly thier B-17 and B-24 over. Now THAT is a flyover to get pumped about.

Reaction Score
I was talking to my wife about the conversation that is going on here. She relied "It is obviously not a fly over, it is a bird over." Glad I could get things cleared up for you guys.

Reaction Score
The best one I saw was a few years back at Edwards Air Force Base. We were playing golf and in the fairway (miraculously) and a B-2 bomber with it's wheels out came slowly right down the fairway and over our heads at much less than 500 feet. Just awesome in the true meaning of the word.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have the Collings Foundation fly thier B-17 and B-24 over. Now THAT is a flyover to get pumped about.

To paraphrase, "Fund it and they will come". All those historical plane foundations can use the money and publicity. All UConn needs is one of those rich companies in Ct. to pony up the cash and sponsor the event.

Military flyovers are more complicated logistically and financially. Have to avoid conflicts of interests with contractors and have a legitimate (approved) military promotion for the event.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I think militarily flyovers are awesome for special events with a military significance (i.e for the Navy, Army games at PAWS ARF), but I'm guessing they'd be impossible to pull off for every home game, and I like the idea of starting a new tradition at every one. Having a bald eagle doing a flyover is a great idea, and is a perfect tie in to P&W. There is something truly awe inspiring, engaging, and intimidating about the flight of an eagle if you're lucky enough to witness one flying up close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69