Flying When UConn is playing in Tournament | The Boneyard

Flying When UConn is playing in Tournament

Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone has endured this incredible pain, ;), but my flight was scheduled for 8:15 p.m. last night from West Palm to New Haven (Yes the very affordable Avelo with no Wifi). I knew I was in trouble when they put the UConn game at 7:45 p.m. Avelo does not have Wifi, so I knew it was going to be trouble. I never thought I would ever pray for a hour delay. I was able to watch the game until we hit 10,000 feet when UConn was up by 16 and looked in completely control. I had to wait the next 2 1/2 hours wondering if it was going to be an easy win or heartbreak city.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I was in the air in 2014 in the second round. No internet, no nothing. I landed to find not only had we beaten Villanova, but Syracuse was out. Not too bad

Reaction Score
I was in China for three weeks in 1999 and got to the airport in Tokyo, only to see on the cover of USA Today that UConn was in the title game. I couldn't access the internet in China back then and certainty had no way to watch the tournament so I had no idea what happened in the tournament. Thank God I made it back in time to watch the championship game. Honestly, I thought that would be the one UConn title in my life, and here we are at 5.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Be mad at whomever bought the ticket for the flight
Thanks for the story but still trying to figure out why it is posted here.
I guess its therapeutic?

Reaction Score
I was on a JetBlue flight this past Thursday and figured I’d watch games on the flight. The WiFi and DirecTV kept going in and out every 10 minutes or so. I would never want to rely on an airplane’s WiFi to watch a UConn game.

tv

Reaction Score
Was flying back east from California in 1998 when the good guys had to play UNC in the round of 8. At that time, no internet on the plane or smartphones. Instead, I asked a flight attendant to query the pilot for updates every 5 minutes or so, until he took to the PA system with periodic game score updates. The pilot and flight attendant were really good sports about it all...Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I was on a bus in Mexico yesterday during the game. No wifi, but I had internet via the phone. Listened to the game on the varsity radio network on my phone. Which I've done a lot of this year. I have no issues listening vs watching on TV. I actually am a bit more chill when I listen vs watch.

Reaction Score
When we played Butler was on a flight to London. Woke up to learn we won! Better than coffee.

Reaction Score
I was in China for three weeks in 1999 and got to the airport in Tokyo, only to see on the cover of USA Today that UConn was in the title game. I couldn't access the internet in China back then and certainty had no way to watch the tournament so I had no idea what happened in the tournament. Thank God I made it back in time to watch the championship game. Honestly, I thought that would be the one UConn title in my life, and here we are at 5.
We were living in Idaho at that time and had a satellite dish which didn't receive network channels, so we had to go to a bar to watch the game. We were the only ones cheering on our beloved Huskies against Gonzaga and we experienced some very real hostility. At the end of the game they congratulated me on the team, but I had a few anxious moments.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I was flying to visit my brother in CA during the Creighton loss (first time whole family here has flown out to visit my brother and his family). Game started after we had left PVD and ended by time we landed in Chicago to change planes.

The entire trip terrible mojo. That loss is on me. Never going to CA again.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone has endured this incredible pain, ;), but my flight was scheduled for 8:15 p.m. last night from West Palm to New Haven (Yes the very affordable Avelo with no Wifi). I knew I was in trouble when they put the UConn game at 7:45 p.m. Avelo does not have Wifi, so I knew it was going to be trouble. I never thought I would ever pray for a hour delay. I was able to watch the game until we hit 10,000 feet when UConn was up by 16 and looked in completely control. I had to wait the next 2 1/2 hours wondering if it was going to be an easy win or heartbreak city.
Self inflicted pain. Save a few bucks to fly in an aluminum cigar tube and that’s your prize.

Reaction Score
I missed the Vanderbilt game in '04 because I was flying to visit my brother in Italy. I remember clicking refresh on the ESPN web page in his crappy dorm in Bologna during the Alabama regional final.

Reaction Score
Keep flying! Take one for the team :)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I did it last year during the Miami game. Flight, (Avelo), was delayed like six hours and put us in the air for the entire game.

Kinda managed to distract myself for most of the flight but once we started to descend, I was on tenterhooks until we got on the ground and I could get the phone off airplane mode.

Reaction Score
Not really /exactly travel related but I was living in Portugal for the 1999 NC so of course most of the games were not at convenient times and video via internet wasn't a thing.

Sometimes I would listen to the audio via internet radio. If I was out at a bar, I could sometimes convince the bartender to switch the TV to a teletext page (anyone?) that would rotate through global sports scores.

I listened to the tournament via internet radio with a dialup connection and per minute charges. Obviously worth every Escudo I paid!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’ll be in Disney for the final 4/title

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Get Youtube TV - record the game and watch it on your phone after you land

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics