First Committee Top 16 | The Boneyard

First Committee Top 16

Reaction Score

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Committee will release its first top-16 rankings tomorrow night. (Akin to the college football committee's rankings released during the season.) Subsequent rankings on 2/6 an 2/20.

Women's Basketball: 2017 top-16 seeds to be announced three times as part of Big Monday broadcasts

My guess (not how I would rank them):
  1. UConn
  2. Baylor
  3. So Carolina
  4. Miss St
  5. Fla St
  6. Maryland
  7. Washington
  8. Notre Dame
  9. Oregon St
  10. Louisville
  11. Stanford
  12. Texas
  13. UCLA
  14. Duke
  15. Ohio St
  16. Kansas St

I'm finding it hard to find anything to criticize in your choices here. The placement of Mississippi State and Maryland will be something to watch, in terms of how the committee weighs their relatively light schedules. Kansas State at #16 would turn some heads, but there's little to differentiate any number of teams for those final couple spots in the top 16.

Reaction Score
I'm finding it hard to find anything to criticize in your choices here. The placement of Mississippi State and Maryland will be something to watch, in terms of how the committee weighs their relatively light schedules. Kansas State at #16 would turn some heads, but there's little to differentiate any number of teams for those final couple spots in the top 16.

Yep, I'm a bit surprised by the K-State ranking as the final 4 seed. Over NC State? Others? Interesting pick.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I wouldn't pick either. AZ State better than each of them.

Reaction Score
Kanss st is ranked 22 in last ap poll, but 14 17 18 19 all lost last week.

Also 17 sagarin, 20 Massey, 17 RPI.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Those last couple of spots are going to change pretty much with every game played and likely will come down to everyone's favorite stats - SOS and RPI. Those teams are going to have a handful of losses, and quality wins, bad losses, and ultimately performance in conference tournaments will maybe help but the strength/weakness of the conference is going to be an issue - B12 and Big10 teams will suffer compared to the other three P5.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A few months ago many of us were complaining about Maryland's cupcake schedule, well looks like those chicken have come home to roost.
" The Terps will contend for a No. 1 seed all season, but a softer nonconference schedule than the other teams in the mix and a down year in the Big Ten hurts their chances."
Which teams are worthy of a top-16 seed?.

Reaction Score
Those last couple of spots are going to change pretty much with every game played and likely will come down to everyone's favorite stats - SOS and RPI. Those teams are going to have a handful of losses, and quality wins, bad losses, and ultimately performance in conference tournaments will maybe help but the strength/weakness of the conference is going to be an issue - B12 and Big10 teams will suffer compared to the other three P5.

The big 12 is rated 2nd strongest conference, after PAC, by both sagarin and Massey.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
AP updated.

As expected, Miami down and out of top 16. AZ State moves into top 16

Plebe

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme has the following top 16 (vowelguy's prediction in parentheses):
  1. UConn (1)
  2. Baylor (2)
  3. South Carolina (3)
  4. Mississippi State (4)
  5. Maryland (6)
  6. Florida State (5)
  7. Washington (7)
  8. Notre Dame (8)
  9. Oregon State (9)
  10. Stanford (11)
  11. Louisville (10)
  12. Texas (12)
  13. UCLA (13)
  14. Arizona State (-)
  15. Duke (14)
  16. Kentucky (-)
About the Kentucky pick for #16, Charlie said: "This spot was the most difficult decision on the board. Oklahoma, NC State, Ohio State and DePaul were all also in the mix." Interesting that he doesn't even include Kansas State among these contenders.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I'm shocked I really thought AZ St would be out of the Top 25 by February. Looks like they are hanging around.

Reaction Score
My bad, I completely missed that K St lost over the weekend.

Given that I would agree with Ariz St as #16.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The big 12 is rated 2nd strongest conference, after PAC, by both sagarin and Massey.
But outside of TX and Baylor I just don't think they have any teams that compete for top 16 - I just think none of the others are able to upset those two, which would be the only way they could get back in the conversation - KState, Oklahoma, and WV don't have the horses and keep dropping games.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
This year especially, conference tournaments will be very interesting.

Plebe

Reaction Score
But outside of TX and Baylor I just don't think they have any teams that compete for top 16 - I just think none of the others are able to upset those two, which would be the only way they could get back in the conversation - KState, Oklahoma, and WV don't have the horses and keep dropping games.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams were able to upset Texas. Oklahoma played a very competitive (until the last few minutes) game in Austin, and they'll get Texas in Norman next month.

But I agree that if those three teams just keep beating each other, any of their chances of hosting are small. A lot depends, of course, on how the other teams on the "hosting bubble" fare in the rest of their season. I could see Ohio State laying a couple of bad eggs in the Big Ten season, for example.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams were able to upset Texas. Oklahoma played a very competitive (until the last few minutes) game in Austin, and they'll get Texas in Norman next month.

But I agree that if those three teams just keep beating each other, any of their chances of hosting are small. A lot depends, of course, on how the other teams on the "hosting bubble" fare in the rest of their season. I could see Ohio State laying a couple of bad eggs in the Big Ten season, for example.

I may be wrong, but I don't see OU beating Texas. KSU's loss to ISU probably killed their seeding.

Reaction Score
I think there is major separation between the top twelve teams in that list and everyone else. The top three seeds are very solid. From there on out, looks to me like a lot to coin tosses.

Indeed, Connecticut should be concerned with only the two seeds. Those are the only ones who should present serious challenges.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Guess Creme was right about Kentucky. Poor Maryland!! We talked about their nonconference at length in the early season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maryland at #9 is a bit of a shocker. But it was very similar last year. Maryland had only lost to UConn, and most people thought they were at least the 5th-best team in the country, but the committee put them at #9 or thereabouts in the first reveal. The committee has been very consistent in placing a heavy emphasis on strength of schedule.

I'm also surprised that Duke is as high as #11, and ahead of Louisville. But not shocking, I suppose, when you consider that Duke's win over SC is far better than anything Louisville has done so far.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Looks like they are sending a message about SOS - KY higher than they should be and MD lower, but message sent. Message received? We''ll have to wait until next year to see.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rebecca saying Maryland's SOS at 95 weighs on them and will with the NCAA Committee in the final reveal too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maryland at #9 is a bit of a shocker. But it was very similar last year. Maryland had only lost to UConn, and most people thought they were at least the 5th-best team in the country, but the committee put them at #9 or thereabouts in the first reveal. The committee has been very consistent in placing a heavy emphasis on strength of schedule.

I'm also surprised that Duke is as high as #11, and ahead of Louisville. But not shocking, I suppose, when you consider that Duke's win over SC is far better than anything Louisville has done so far.

And the fact that Duke beat Louisville head to head. It still surprises me that they are that far ahead of us in the polls. Im not surprised that Duke is higher than UCLA.

Reaction Score
My arm is tired from patting myself on the back about Maryland.
I will also note that in the bracketology threads there were many who claimed that MD was a lock for a #1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom