First Night was one helluva show, and now. . . | The Boneyard

First Night was one helluva show, and now. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . it's a real challenge is to make it better next year (as the AD has done, year after year).

We watched on ESPN3 and in our family TV room we could not possibly experience the electric atmosphere that filled Gampel. (Sort of like fourth of July fireworks from Boston, NY, or Washington -- tv just can't compare with being there.)

The lighting effects were simply fabulous. Some other great touches:

The various video presentations were beyond category.

Can't say enough about putting all 13 NCAA NC trophies out and I thought it was an inspired idea to have players like Kalana, Heather and Maria included.

Nice to have Ray Allen honored, but I wish they had devoted less time to one individual, even Ray.

The concept of players coming through the stands when introduced was great but, frankly, it took too long.

I missed the three-point shooting competition; I would have placed my money on Kaleena and Coourtney.

I did NOT miss the dunk competition and was pleased it is not on the agenda.

Next year? Expect the women to bring another NC trophy. Hope the men do it again.

Reaction Score
. . . it's a real challenge is to make it better next year (as the AD has done, year after year).

We watched on ESPN3 and in our family TV room we could not possibly experience the electric atmosphere that filled Gampel. (Sort of like fourth of July fireworks from Boston, NY, or Washington -- tv just can't compare with being there.)

The lighting effects were simply fabulous. Some other great touches:

The various video presentations were beyond category.

Can't say enough about putting all 13 NCAA NC trophies out and I thought it was an inspired idea to have players like Kalana, Heather and Maria included.

Nice to have Ray Allen honored, but I wish they had devoted less time to one individual, even Ray.

The concept of players coming through the stands when introduced was great but, frankly, it took too long.

I missed the three-point shooting competition; I would have placed my money on Kaleena and Coourtney.

I did NOT miss the dunk competition and was pleased it is not on the agenda.

Next year? Expect the women to bring another NC trophy. Hope the men do it again.
I have a little prejudice insofar as Ray is concerned. I didn't see First Night so I don't know how extensive it was but Ray Allen has had one of the most illustrious careers of any UConn basketball player, male or female and he's handled himself with so much grace and class. His exposure has helped the image of UConn athletics is so many ways, all positive. I'm so sure that particularly on the men's side of men's basketball he has been someone whose been the core reason why a bunch of recruits even considered Storrs Connecticut as a place to attend. In actuality, there may be women recruits who got their first exposure to UConn as a result of exposure from Ray, as well! I think we've been so fortunate to have people like Ray and Kevin and Rebecca and Sue who've helped plant the UConn flag in the minds of so many young and talented young men and women. Without them and others, we'd never have had the success that was apparent with the display of all those national championship trophies Friday night!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have a little prejudice insofar as Ray is concerned. I didn't see First Night so I don't know how extensive it was but Ray Allen has had one of the most illustrious careers of any UConn basketball player, male or female and he's handled himself with so much grace and class. His exposure has helped the image of UConn athletics is so many ways, all positive. I'm so sure that particularly on the men's side of men's basketball he has been someone whose been the core reason why a bunch of recruits even considered Storrs Connecticut as a place to attend. In actuality, there may be women recruits who got their first exposure to UConn as a result of exposure from Ray, as well! I think we've been so fortunate to have people like Ray and Kevin and Rebecca and Sue who've helped plant the UConn flag in the minds of so many young and talented young men and women. Without them and others, we'd never have had the success that was apparent with the display of all those national championship trophies Friday night!

I share your high regard for Allen (I said, "I wish they had devoted less time to one individual, even Ray")

BUT. . .

There were a limited number of minutes available (tv). Had they reduced Ray's time by, say, three minutes and the player introductions by another dozen, they would have had 15 minutes for 3 point shooting competition, men vs. women (2 apiece, Courtney and Kaleena for the women, maybe a cameo by Ray). I believe that would have worked a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom