Fire Verducci | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fire Verducci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not about a system its about talent.

You need to adjust the system to the available talent. For most of the second half at Navy our offense was perfectly acceptable because we had to play fast to overcome a 21-point deficit. It got screwed up at the end because Diaco/Verducci had too much time to think.

And speaking about system: Diaco's calling card is his ability as a defensive coach. Everyone knew coming into today that Syracuse likes to play fast. So on their first two drives UConn's D is literally looking at the sidelines while the Orange are throwing the ball down the field. Now, that got fixed (until the fourth quarter, at least), but Diaco deserves a ton of blame for the defense's poor start today.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
freaking retread and DeLeone wannabe has now cost us two games on gutless 3rd and short up the middle goal-line calls in three weeks. We hired this guy because he coached Bobby D at Iowa and he's from same NJ area?
Should we fire him or set him on fire?

Reaction Score
Verducci isn't the only guy who needs to go. It's year 3 and the line still sucks...Sherriffs looks like he can't even make it through 1 read never mind his progressions, Davis was moved to TE and Anderson looked pretty poor in the Spring game. Time to clean house on the O side...time for Verducci, Cummings and Lineberg to hit the bricks.

Reaction Score
Verducci isn't the only guy who needs to go. It's year 3 and the line still sucks...Sherriffs looks like he can't even make it through 1 read never mind his progressions, Davis was moved to TE and Anderson looked pretty poor in the Spring game. Time to clean house on the O side...time for Verducci, Cummings and Lineberg to hit the bricks.
We can't do that. Those guys were Bobby's frat brothers or some such nonsense. When he hired his staff that to me was a sign that he didn't have it. The only requirement was that you had to be one of his pals. That is just not the way good coaches assemble their staffs. Even bad ones don't.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FD,

I'd keep Campbell (our receivers coach; not due to what he has accomplished here as we haven't been able to tell, but from what he did at Michigan) and replace everyone else. As this is a fantasy, more realistic would be a new DB Coach/OC, move Verducci to line coach and go from there.

Reaction Score
You think that play cost the game.

Two touchdowns in the first four minutes didn't. How about letting Syracuse go 98 yards after that stop? Did that cost the game.

They had been using the QB sneak all day.

I think the pick 6 actually cost the game. And -ing Noel Thomas, Mr Concrete Hands could have tied it up if he caught that on side.

The offense definitely looked better today. Can't keep spotting the other team two touchdowns.

This is NUTS.

Again ... You target #5 17 times (*at the exclusion of trying more Mayala or Beals, Myers, McLean, Davis) and suddenly you find the Defense has totally shifted to cover that - en masse. Syracuse Franklin (#4 on your Program) clearly slid to be on the route flattening out to get in the ball path of Thomas. This is another Bob&Franky mistake.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
They need to replace Verducci this season... I'm not looking for Cam Cameron here (although he's currently unemployed, and might want a part-time gig), but our play calling is arcaic at best. Diaco is a DC with a head coach title and lead cheerleader of the program- that's bascially what he's turned into. I don't get the sense he has anything at all to do with the offense. Did anyone see him when we were in the red zone after the fake FG pass? He was on the oppisite end of the field talking to the defense! Like didn't even care to look at the play of the offense which ended up getting us nothing. I know this guy is a good teacher of the game, and decent recruiter (although our recuriting class for 2017 is dead last in the AAC). But the lack of on-field, gameday leadership is really become clearer in year 3 folks.

Reaction Score
Diaco is a defense guy. Guys like that want a ball control offense, win time of possession, est the run etc. Minimize the time the D is on the field.

That's the philosophy you'll have while hes the head coach. Firing FV doesn't fix that.

Reaction Score
I had no idea Amba Etta-Tawo is from Oman.

Diaco sure kept the D on the field for short as possible by being burned in the passing game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its not Verducci, its Diaco and who ever is in charge of the Oline and Oline recruiting (Cummings?!).

Any coach that has the punt return philosophy we have is also holding back the offensive play calling. He plays not to loose and that approach is flawed in that players play tight until we are loosing and then they open it up a bit because they have too. We are not playing with authority, with a 'wait until you see what we do with the ball' state of mind. Diaco wants to dominate in the old school way, through being bigger and stronger and flawless on O. A classic power running offense. Unfortunately it does not match the personnel. We have the size, but we don't have the athletic coordination in the trenches to be consistent. Instead we have to make the effort to stretch the field and spread the passing distribution to give room to the running game. Its essential that Sherriff is coached up to run 50% less than he is and that his WR stop quitting on routes early to play QB blocker. The slot throw for a TD to Noel Thomas in the UVA game was a thing of beauty and something this team needs to be trying five times a game. Its a classic blitz burner.

On D, Diaco has to learn to play a true nickel on passing downs. For three years I have watched our OLB get burned by three and four WR sets which create mismatches on our 3 and 4th LB. Its time for some Nickel dude - you have to try it.

Bottomline, if Diaco fires anyone, it has to be the Oline coach. Difficult for the next guy to do worse. And he also needs to stop with RRPP and add nickel to the defensive schemes.

Reaction Score
Did you notice they ran all the sneaks on quick counts/no huddle? I'd have less of a problem with Johnson dive call if it hadn't been preceded by a huddle.
How about a roll out throw/run option on 2nd and/or 3rd?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I said it in another thread and I'll say it here. Verducci is the OC when Diaco says he is. He is Diaco's puppet.

If it's too expensive to fire Diaco, I hope Benedict tells Diaco Version ducci is gone and he needs to bring in an up tempo spread type OC.

If Diaco balks, then he can join Verducci.

Diaco is a self admitted control freak, who said he learned that he needs to let others do their job. (He lied)
For the first time in like, forever, Bob was back and forth to the kicking net jawing at Wain and Puyol. Maybe encouraging and maybe coaching. Those 2 are seniors and great at their jobs. I think Captain Queeg is looking for the strawberries .

Reaction Score
Its not Verducci, its Diaco and who ever is in charge of the Oline and Oline recruiting (Cummings?!).

Any coach that has the punt return philosophy we have is also holding back the offensive play calling. He plays not to loose and that approach is flawed in that players play tight until we are loosing and then they open it up a bit because they have too. We are not playing with authority, with a 'wait until you see what we do with the ball' state of mind. Diaco wants to dominate in the old school way, through being bigger and stronger and flawless on O. A classic power running offense. Unfortunately it does not match the personnel. We have the size, but we don't have the athletic coordination in the trenches to be consistent. Instead we have to make the effort to stretch the field and spread the passing distribution to give room to the running game. Its essential that Sherriff is coached up to run 50% less than he is and that his WR stop quitting on routes early to play QB blocker. The slot throw for a TD to Noel Thomas in the UVA game was a thing of beauty and something this team needs to be trying five times a game. Its a classic blitz burner.

On D, Diaco has to learn to play a true nickel on passing downs. For three years I have watched our OLB get burned by three and four WR sets which create mismatches on our 3 and 4th LB. Its time for some Nickel dude - you have to try it.

Bottomline, if Diaco fires anyone, it has to be the Oline coach. Difficult for the next guy to do worse. And he also needs to stop with RRPP and add nickel to the defensive schemes.
I think this post is excellent, but it would be more effective if you noted that "he plays not to lose" instead of "not to loose" as there is no "not to loose". Same with "play tight until we are loosing"...really is play tight until we are "losing", not loosing. Something that is loose is just not tight.

Reaction Score
I think this post is excellent, but it would be more effective if you noted that "he plays not to lose" instead of "not to loose" as there is no "not to loose". Same with "play tight until we are loosing"...really is play tight until we are "losing", not loosing. Something that is loose is just not tight.
Actually it would be "too loose". Not "to". The two, too and to, are often confused.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Yep too expensive to fire diaco so you tell him that verducci has the rest of the year to show something or his ass is out the door
Oh and how safe is balis's job?
I'm very disappointed in our offensive line.
Big spots and we can't move navy or cuse off the line
And cuse is one of the worst defenses on the land

its not balis that is the issue, im not sure why no one has noticed but there was one single holdover from the FHCPP era and ill give you one guess what position he coaches......
again strength is not the only quality a good offensive linemen must posses. I have coached kids on my Oline that give up 50lbs and 6in to kids that are weight room warriors and they beat them with skill and technique every time. the Oline coach needs to hit the bricks, it has been the glaring issues on this offense for YEARSSSSS.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Don't need to run a high risk offense to get better.
What happened to screen passes to slow down the pass rush? Need to use TE's more in passing game. Thomas is a great receiver but is keyed on too much.

both screens we ran Syracuse sniffed out before they even developed, they were blown up so quickly it was hard to even recognize them as such.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We miss Foley a lot as Cummings has not done the job here with the line.

I also think the defensive coordinator should back and just let Diaco coach the defense andget some here who knows how to throw to the Tight Ends and use a damn fullback to lead on short yardage plays.

Reaction Score

Right now, it's easy to argue that maybe we could've looked for a higher profile coach to run our offense. We took a conservative approach IMO (which is a symbol of what the state of Connecticut is). a pretty hard pill to swallow for some of us college football-aholics. Today's day and age you want to see big plays all the time, especially on offense...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
its not balis that is the issue, im not sure why no one has noticed but there was one single holdover from the FHCPP era and ill give you one guess what position he coaches.
I believe you are confusing Foley with Cummings.

Foley was the only holdover from the P era during Diaco's first year but the following spring he wad dismissed, Cummings took over the OLine and Verducci was brought in.

Add to this is the fact that Foley was only returned to OL duties after P/GDL were canned.

Yes, I agree third year out we should be seeing far more progress in our offensive line play. Foley however is not the one to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom