Fire GDL | The Boneyard

Fire GDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tried his best to lose the game for the players.

Calling the pass play while up by 14 and five minutes to go is grounds for dismissal.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not to mention, after Whitmer's Onionsized nuts play on third down, he failed to have the offense take the victory formation for three plays.

Empty his office now.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Sad as it is, I'd argue this was one of his better jobs as OC. Still, fire him.

Reaction Score
Although I agree with your sentiments in the long run......Shut up......We finally won a game......We put points on the board......The play was aggressive and wasn't cowardice as usual........You'd be the same guy saying fire him for not taking a shot at the endzone, if he ran the ball and then our kicker blew the FG........And they came back to win.......He was finally aggressive there and his play call worked Whitmer blew it......>I don't blame him he's been a rag doll all year long and got happy feet but it actually wasn't GDL's fault......And then he actually threw on 3rd and 8 with 2minutes on the clock for the first down................Now this is wayyyyyyyyy to little to late but seriously give it a rest for one night and be happy for the players tonight......

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Although I agree with your sentiments in the long run......Shut up......We finally won a game......We put points on the board......The play was aggressive and wasn't cowardice as usual........You'd be the same guy saying fire him for not taking a shot at the endzone, if he ran the ball and then our kicker blew the FG........And they came back to win.......He was finally aggressive there and his play call worked Whitmer blew it......>I don't blame him he's been a rag doll all year long and got happy feet but it actually wasn't GDL's fault......And then he actually threw on 3rd and 8 with 2minutes on the clock for the first down................Now this is wayyyyyyyyy to little to late but seriously give it a rest for one night and be happy for the players tonight......

You are wrong. It was the wrong call at the wrong time and you know it.

Uconn won in spite of its coaching, not because of it.

The lack of clock management was out there again for everyone to see after Whitmer threw the last completion. 2 minutes to go and Pitt's out of TO's, you line it up for the victory formation. But Uconn went for two more handoff and three snaps.

As Pal said in another thread, first year Pop Warner coaches are smarter than this.

Unfortunately for us Uconn fans instead of going home and sleeping, GDL is going back to Storrs to develop another wall paper pattern.

Reaction Score
We say all year he is not agressive enough and then he goes for the jugular, Ryan is wide open and Chandler misses him badly, and we bury him.

Great call 100 times over. Give it to me all the time, every time. It's big boy football. We haven't seen it in so long that some of you are confused.

Still want the bum fired.

Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconn-24-pittsburgh-17/

For once that we now know of - it's sounds like PP overuled GDL:

John F. Silver

EAST HARTFORD, Conn. — Chandler Whitmer got the call in the huddle.

The Huskies’ 24 points lead had narrowed to a touchdown and the Huskies were faced with a third and 7 from their own 28.

The conservative play was to run the ball into the line with 2:20 left in the game and with Pittsburgh with no timeouts, let the defense make a stand.

Paul Pasqualoni didn’t want to do that. He put the ball in Whitmer’s hands and wanted the offense to win the game. Whitmer did just that and the Huskies’ four game losing streak is over.

Whitmer’s 17-yard out to Shakim Phillips, with a defender draped around his ankle, sealed the Huskies’ 24-17 win on Friday night at Rentschler Field.

It was a gutsy call by the Huskies’ coaching staff, but after a season where they already suffered four losses by seven points or less, they decided to control their own destiny.

“I wanted the offense to win the game,” Pasqualoni said. “We had a pretty good play, we thought the protections would be good, it was a 7-man protection, and (Phillips) wasn’t his first read he was his second read and someone was grabbing him by the ankle and he got the ball off to Phillips and it was a good throw and Shak stayed in bounds.”

Reaction Score
He finally stopped handcuffing Whitmer this game. You see what happens when he lets him loose 24 pts. When he goes conservative and let the "top 10 d win" you get nothing but losses. Big deal he threw a pick in the end zone, let him play, what a pass to clinch the game. Thank you PP!

Reaction Score
I loved that play call. The whole stadium expects a 1 yard run to set up the field goal which of course is no guarantee. Everyone complains about the conservative play calling and I think that was a call that surprised everyone, including Pitt's defense. As you saw, Griffin was wide open and it should have been a touchdown but was a real bad throw by Whitmer. I think they were just looking to put an exclamation point on the win. It was not a risky play call but a conservative play call throwing to a wide open Griffin over the middle and just was not executed by Whitmer. Relax on the calls for firing the OC based on that call. That is ridiculous.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, in defense of that call, we did lose a game due to 4 missed field goals not long ago, including some chippies. I like the aggressiveness. I would have run and kicked the FG myself, but I like that they want the offense to win games for us.

Reaction Score
Not to mention, after Whitmer's Onionsized nuts play on third down, he failed to have the offense take the victory formation for three plays.

Empty his office now.

Could it be due to the fact that he doesn't know what the victory formation is?

Reaction Score
We say all year he is not agressive enough and then he goes for the jugular, Ryan is wide open and Chandler misses him badly, and we bury him.

Great call 100 times over. Give it to me all the time, every time. It's big boy football. We haven't seen it in so long that some of you are confused.

Agreed. Keep on attacking. The QB missed him that's all. In this instance, gotta execute better. Lot of reasons to fire GDL, but this wasn't one of them.

Still want the bum fired.

Reaction Score
He finally stopped handcuffing Whitmer this game. You see what happens when he lets him loose 24 pts. When he goes conservative and let the "top 10 d win" you get nothing but losses. Big deal he threw a pick in the end zone, let him play, what a pass to clinch the game. Thank you PP!
Agree 100%. Admittedly, I am one of those "confused" fans (as SportsArt put it) that thought it a bad play at the time. My only thing with coaching strategy is the timing and end of game clock management. Whitmer threw an interception at S. Florida, but time ran out. No chance for redemption. I love the aggressiveness but let's do it throughout the game. I hope PP finally realizes this. The players will play harder if they know their coach believes in them.

Reaction Score

To be accurate the offense still only produced 17 points. Special teams brings that total to 24.

When the score was 24-3 the crowd started to boo at some conservative runs up the middle that got stuffed. At the time I remarked it was " because they know what's coming." I then half jokingly predicted it would be a one possession game with about 4 minutes left. I wasn't far off.

UConn gets way too conservative way too early with a lead. GDL needs to go.

Reaction Score
As for the failure to take a few knees at the end, did you notice one of the last plays when Lyle took the handoff, took two steps forward and basically fell into a fetal position to avoid any contact? I saw Lyle at breakfast and asked him about that sequence. He laughed and said "Ha, I took a dive. I wasn't going to let anyone strip the ball out". That doesn't excuse the coaches, but the players are smart enough to know how to make up for the lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom