Finebaum rips Edsall for pulling scholarship | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Finebaum rips Edsall for pulling scholarship

Reaction Score
Finebaum is a total hypocrite and I am so annoyed that UConn is somehow become the whipping boy for something every major Div 1 football team has done and is doing.

Is it really better to lead the kid along and let him come here to play under a coaching staff that has no interest in playing him? So now the kid gets to come here and have a crappy experience and then be forced to transfer after a year or 2? So its really better to string a kid along then be up front with the kid to let him know the offer from the previous coaching staff is not good with the new staff? In my opinion telling the kid up front the way edsall did was the best way to handle this to give the kid a chance to find a school that he can thrive at.

Reaction Score
So Infinally found out a little while ago that the cohort to finebaum yesterday was former LSU DE Marcus Spears. I just had a dialogue with him on Twitter that was pretty good. I encourage the rest of you to do so as well. If you keep it clean and support your point he is very engaging!
His twitter handle is @mspear96

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
That's a little harsh, especially since you don't know the young man.

Oh well. He's going to college for free and getting to play the sport he loves. I have no sympathy.

Reaction Score
I must have been under a rock. I missed this event.

Unless this kid did something questionable (in a legal sense), I think it is a terrible move for us. I don't care if it happens at Michigan or Bama....when we have their profile, we can do what they do. I would still have an issue with it, but it would hurt the program. Our football program is in a tough spot. We don't need negative press. 2 weeks before signing day.....this is a bad move. Unless, Randy and his staff know something about the kid we do not (which is very possible).

If we're taking on kids that don't fit the system or don't belong in D1 it won't be a question of not being Michigan or Bama. It will be about not belonging in FBS because we are more concerned about appearances and hurt feelings than being competitive. But you're onboard with the double-standard for dumping recruits intentionally if we get to the elite level. That's reassuring.

Reaction Score
That would have been the "high character" move.
So you delay the rebuild and when things don't improve with wins on the field, you can talk us all down with how HCRE developed "high character". You know, these are students with athletic talents for sure, but what of the kid with a 3.5 GPA and no scholarships, limited financial aid. He/She remains nameless...or parents in state of CT with citizenship who don't get financial aid but the illegal immigrant does. So I'm sorry if my sympathy meter does move that far. The kids being removed from scholarship still have other options. And isn't it the job of the university to provide education and then athletics? Sure I want UConn football to succeed, but stop with the nonsense of how "bad" the character of HCRE is. The student who wants to be considered an athlete first is on a pendulum. Potential fame - NFL considerations/aspirations or doesn't make the cut. I wonder when the kids in the big football states learn the lesson that not every kid gets to play. If your kid is tone deaf and by 13 has not learned to carry a tune, I don't want to hear him in my choir. Just my opinion - Go Huskies and coach Edsall has my fan support!

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
There's been so much talk about recruiting players who can play and perhaps don't fit the old mold of student-athletes....maybe it's time for athlete-students. Could it be that this kid isn't one of those? Fine upstanding kid, by all accounts, smart, well-spoken, involved in community, yadda yadda. All that might have to go out the window to get the "new" RKG's. If so, throw that baby out with the bath water and move on. If that what it takes and Randy has to be the scapegoat, I'm OK with it. The storm will blow over. There is no doubt that the measuring stick Randy and staff will use is far different from the one the old regime used. To the "right thing" or to take the high road isn't necessarily going to improve on-field performance, particularly if Bob's recruits don't match the new schemes. Pundits like Finebaum can have their day, especially when no retort is allowed. Sucks to be the whipping boy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just hope the difference in ability between this kid and the kid we end up getting with our last scholly ends up being worth all the trouble.

Reaction Score
I just hope the difference in ability between this kid and the kid we end up getting with our last scholly ends up being worth all the trouble.

Wait, I thought you were worried about character?

Because if you believe the high character move was to honor the scholarship offer, then it doesn't matter if we sign a 4 star JUCO QB or a 1 Star long snapper with that last scholarship. It doesn't even matter if it goes unfilled. You honor the scholarship offer no matter what.

Right? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I must have been under a rock. I missed this event.

Unless this kid did something questionable (in a legal sense), I think it is a terrible move for us. I don't care if it happens at Michigan or Bama....when we have their profile, we can do what they do. I would still have an issue with it, but it would hurt the program. Our football program is in a tough spot. We don't need negative press. 2 weeks before signing day.....this is a bad move. Unless, Randy and his staff know something about the kid we do not (which is very possible).
They know he doesn't fit Crocker's defense.;)

I asked my son today how he would handle this situation. Let me preface this by saying my son is 13 (so take this for what it's worth, but I was curious to see his perspective) and has aspirations of playing college baseball. I played collegiately, and he's far better at his age then I was and has more opportunities to develop his talents then I did. So, it's a possibility. Anyway, he knew nothing about this story, so I posed the question to him from a baseball standpoint. He was offered by the previous coach and verbally committed 7-months ago. A verbal commitment holds no guarantee until you sign your letter of intent, which is in two-weeks. The coach that offered the scholly was fired and a new coach was named. The new coach said he would evaluate those offered. An assistant coach visited and said they were still interested in you attending the school. A new hitting coach was hired a week ago. He evaluated you and didn't think you fit his approach. The head coach called you and said after speaking with his hitting coach they've decided to pull your scholly less then two weeks from signing day. You have other schools interested but they're not high level programs. How would you feel and how would you handle it? His words...."Well, I'd be upset but there's nothing I could really do. The new coach didn't recruit me. He, at least, was honest. Besides, I have other options even if they're not as big. My next question....Would you be so upset that you would blast the new coach on social media or in the newspaper? Him...."No, I'll just find somewhere else to go. I'll probably have a better chance to play right away at a smaller school anyway. I'll go to one of those schools and prove they missed out on a great player."

He made me proud. I love that kid.

Tonight, I filled my wife (who doesn't follow football) in to see how she would react. I told her the whole (one-sided) story. She said she'd be upset for the kid but thought it was ridiculous that parents would take it to the media. The kid wasn't recruited by the new coach, they owe him nothing, even if he was told they would honor the scholly a few days earlier. If the new DC didn't think he was a good fit, why would you still want to go there. If signing day is in two-weeks, they at least gave him a chance to explore other options and he would probably play sooner at a smaller school. It's not like he was already on campus and they took it away (which actually happened to a friend of hers son). She said it's disappointing but you move on.

Maybe we were raised different, but I just don't get how you could be so upset that you'd do everything in your power to smear the new coach and the university. Has the kid received a Nebraska offer??? That tells you all you need to know. Life's full of disappointment, man up and move on. Use it as motivation.

Reaction Score
They know he doesn't fit Crocker's defense.;)

I asked my son today how he would handle this situation. Let me preface this by saying my son is 13 (so take this for what it's worth, but I was curious to see his perspective) and has aspirations of playing college baseball. I played collegiately, and he's far better at his age then I was and has more opportunities to develop his talents then I did. So, it's a possibility. Anyway, he knew nothing about this story, so I posed the question to him from a baseball standpoint. He was offered by the previous coach and verbally committed 7-months ago. A verbal commitment holds no guarantee until you sign your letter of intent, which is in two-weeks. The coach that offered the scholly was fired and a new coach was named. The new coach said he would evaluate those offered. An assistant coach visited and said they were still interested in you attending the school. A new hitting coach was hired a week ago. He evaluated you and didn't think you fit his approach. The head coach called you and said after speaking with his hitting coach they've decided to pull your scholly less then two weeks from signing day. You have other schools interested but they're not high level programs. How would you feel and how would you handle it? His words...."Well, I'd be upset but there's nothing I could really do. The new coach didn't recruit me. He, at least, was honest. Besides, I have other options even if they're not as big. My next question....Would you be so upset that you would blast the new coach on social media or in the newspaper? Him...."No, I'll just find somewhere else to go. I'll probably have a better chance to play right away at a smaller school anyway. I'll go to one of those schools and prove they missed out on a great player."

He made me proud. I love that kid.

Tonight, I filled my wife (who doesn't follow football) in to see how she would react. I told her the whole (one-sided) story. She said she'd be upset for the kid but thought it was ridiculous that parents would take it to the media. The kid wasn't recruited by the new coach, they owe him nothing, even if he was told they would honor the scholly a few days earlier. If the new DC didn't think he was a good fit, why would you still want to go there. If signing day is in two-weeks, they at least gave him a chance to explore other options and he would probably play sooner at a smaller school. It's not like he was already on campus and they took it away (which actually happened to a friend of hers son). She said it's disappointing but you move on.

Maybe we were raised different, but I just don't get how you could be so upset that you'd do everything in your power to smear the new coach and the university. Has the kid received a Nebraska offer??? That tells you all you need to know. Life's full of disappointment, man up and move on. Use it as motivation.

Smart kid...

The Raritan AD is also sitting fireside w/ his bellow (check his official social media account). I dismissed it @ first but more and more this appears to have corn silk residue all over it.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I see he got the coffee with the turbo lax I sent him.

0Ht9gCh.gif

Reaction Score
... and now here comes the Verducci family faction?

Peter Gammons (@pgammo)
1/18/17, 10:07 PM
UConn reneges on scholarship offer, ditches N.J. football recruit in 11th hour http:// Message:don't entrust you son to Randy Edsall

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Peter Gammons (@pgammo)
UConn reneges on scholarship offer, ditches N.J. football recruit in 11th hour http:// Message:don't entrust you son to Randy Edsall

I"m going out on a limb and suggesting Peter Gammons doesn't have much pull with football recruits, their parents or their coaches.

Reaction Score

Peter Gammons (@pgammo)
That tweet should read UConn offensive coordinator ditches proper play calling again..Message: Don't entrust your offense to Frank Verducci

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom