Filling our 2 Open Scholarships | The Boneyard

Filling our 2 Open Scholarships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have threads on 2016 & 2017 recruits, players transferring that sit out a year, players transferring that can play next year, and some Juco players. We have 2 open spots now, and Brimah/Facey/Purvis/out next year with Hamilton likely as well. Assume no other openings this year, and Zach Brown being firm for 2017.
How about a thread to weigh in on your preferences so far.

I want to leave space for Makai Ashton-Langford, and Hamidou Diallo in the next class, with the thought that overall we have 4-5 guards on the team, and can play 3 guards for stretches with Diallo at the 3. (If it ends up Chandler or Brown instead of Diallo, thats ok because we may have them longer).

To get MAL and Diallo, that means no more than 1 scholarship to a guard in 2016 that has more than 1 year eligibility. A scholarship to a second guard would have to be a 5th year player, (unless Purvis leaves).

My preference for a 4th guard for 2016 with multiple years eligibility would be Christian Vital so far. Size, strength, toughness, appeals to me, (more than the Juco point guard or Sacred Heart transfer and the others discussed so far)

With Vital as a 4th guard next year, you could talk me into any position with the other scholarship. A 5th year guard for experience and depth, a multiposition player like Alpha Diallo who could play 2G and split minutes with Larrier and Jackson at the wing after Hamilton departs, a 5th year big to hedge if Durham redshirts, or a sit out a year player like Justin Simon.

I don't know if we have a real shot with PJ Washington as a 2017 6'9 recruit playing today on espnu at 6pm vs Alterique Gilbert. But he would be my top target as a front court scorer from the 2x I have seen him. (Only 1x in person). I reserve 1 spot in 2017 for him if we have a shot.

Thoughts

Reaction Score
I have also seen PJ Washington play and I was surprised he's not a top 15 player. One of the more impressive HS players I've seen live. I remember him being on Ollie's "trendsetters" list on Twitter, but it seems like we haven't gained any traction with him.

I personally like Alpha Diallo a lot too, although I know the fit isn't perfect given our new SF depth.

I have way less of a clue where our last 2 scholarships will go this year than I was last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We definitely need a ball handler and shooter for next year. Its a toss up for me between CJ Jackson and Christian Vital, and who knows it could definitely be someone we've never thought of. Jackson and Vital look like capable players, I want to lean toward CJ because a five-man class is a little unwieldy and you never want to stretch too much for a guy (a la Terrance Samuel, Rakim Lubin). That said I'd be fine with either, or someone else if they can provide serviceable minutes and hit open shots. The other spot looks ripe for a 5th year transfer. I haven't heard any names that would be effective within reason, but a shooter who plays exceptional defense would be ideal.

Reaction Score
Want
- 5th year transfer PF or highly-rated 2016 PF (if there are any left) [to start over Facey]
- 5th year transfer guard or 4-star 2016 guard or highly-rated Juco guard [bench depth behind Adams/Purvis/Gilbert]

Meh
- Multiple-year transfer who has to sit out a year
- Decently-rated 2016 wing

No

- Reach/3-star 2016 guard
- Project 2016 big

Reaction Score
Meh
If there's a transfer with Purvis-level talent, I think it makes sense to sign him. Next year we will have depth (although that depth will be made up in large part of freshmen). It's 2017, with our seniors leaving and probably D-Ham that we will need the help. 2 grad-transfers is a no-go for me because it leaves us short in 2017.

Reaction Score
We definitely need a ball handler and shooter for next year. Its a toss up for me between CJ Jackson and Christian Vital, and who knows it could definitely be someone we've never thought of. Jackson and Vital look like capable players, I want to lean toward CJ because a five-man class is a little unwieldy and you never want to stretch too much for a guy (a la Terrance Samuel, Rakim Lubin). That said I'd be fine with either, or someone else if they can provide serviceable minutes and hit open shots. The other spot looks ripe for a 5th year transfer. I haven't heard any names that would be effective within reason, but a shooter who plays exceptional defense would be ideal.

I don't know that we know enough about the options to really write the plan here, but I'd make one point about Samuels. We brought him in because, without Kromah on board yet, we only had two real guards. So we needed someone who could provide satisfactory minutes -- not to drive the bus. Teems need role players, and stars waiting their turn as stars don't necessarily make the best role players. All T Sam did was fill has role adequately enough that we were able to win a national championship with him in the rotation. I reserve the right to physically harm the next person who acts as if bringing him in (or Phil Nolan) was some type of horrible failure.

If you are trying to have good teams, not every roster spot is going to be taken by someone who has a reasonable chance of ending up as an All American. So if we take a 4th true guard who can play next year, even if they are only meant to be insurance from one of RP, JA or AG getting hurt or being foul prone and we want an option against having a small forward trying to play off guard if that happens, that is and should be absolutely fine. As long as the player is good enough to absorb the necessary minutes and not hurt you. See, e.g., freshman Craig Austrie, freshman Rob Garrison, freshman Donnell Beverley, Kromah, Evans, etc., etc., etc.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Want
- 5th year transfer PF or highly-rated 2016 PF (if there are any left) [to start over Facey]
- 5th year transfer guard or 4-star 2016 guard or highly-rated Juco guard [bench depth behind Adams/Purvis/Gilbert]

Meh

No

- Reach/3-star 2016 guard
- Project 2016 big
Want: Good players
Don't want: Bad players

Reaction Score
Calhoun almost never left a scholarship empty. He put some forgettable players into those schollies.

Ollie doesn't seem to mind keeping them empty if there isn't someone he really wants.

Tough to critisize JC on anything pertaining to basketball. But I think KO's system is better on this point.

Reaction Score
If it is only 2 scholarships to fill:
Bring in a PF that allows us to redshirt Durham - preferably a 5th year guy.
Bring in a guard for depth purposes that will likely be around for 4 years (preference is Christian Vital).

Reaction Score
I don't know that we know enough about the options to really write the plan here, but I'd make one point about Samuels. We brought him in because, without Kromah on board yet, we only had two real guards. So we needed someone who could provide satisfactory minutes -- not to drive the bus. Teems need role players, and stars waiting their turn as stars don't necessarily make the best role players. All T Sam did was fill has role adequately enough that we were able to win a national championship with him in the rotation. I reserve the right to physically harm the next person who acts as if bringing him in (or Phil Nolan) was some type of horrible failure.
I'm not saying that bringing in Terrance was a bad idea or a failure. As you said, it's what we needed then. Getting a Terrance Samuel type player for next year would not be the end of the world; it does fill a hole that needs to be filled. And to be honest, the options we have at this point will not be bringing the house down talent-wise. So, I guess my point is that stretching for players can be necessary, just not ideal.

Reaction Score
You really should post more often Ricker.

You always offer an insightful take on recruiting/ roster management. And it really is refreshing considering what 99% of the other posts on these topics look like.

Reaction Score
As long as the player is good enough to absorb the necessary minutes and not hurt you. See, e.g., freshman Craig Austrie, freshman Rob Garrison, freshman Donnell Beverley, Kromah, Evans, etc., etc., etc.

There's a distinction to be made there, though, between 4-year and 1-year guys.

Freshman Austrie provided necessary depth; but then so did sophomore through senior Austrie. He was a good pickup.
Freshman Garrison provided depth, but was overmatched, tied up a scholarship, and then transferred, hurting APR. He was a bad pickup.
Freshman Beverly wasn't much of a factor, and wasn't really at all until he was a senior, and even then played sparingly. We'll call this one neutral.

Evans and Kromah were 1-year guys who provided depth when we needed it, and didn't tie up a scholarship when we didn't need it.

Basically, low-rated 4-year guys are mostly risk (but possibly some reward if they pan out), while 1-year guys are almost always a boon with minimal risk, since there's no opportunity cost with the scholarship, and they can't hurt the program by transferring.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
CJ Jackson sounds intriguing depending on how much he expects to play. If he's OK with a bench role, bringing in a sniper with a decent handle would be a good get.

Reaction Score

Freshman Austrie provided necessary depth; but then so did sophomore through senior Austrie. He was a good pickup.
Freshman Garrison provided depth, but was overmatched, tied up a scholarship, and then transferred, hurting APR. He was a bad pickup.
Freshman Beverly wasn't much of a factor, and wasn't really at all until he was a senior, and even then played sparingly. We'll call this one neutral.

Evans and Kromah were 1-year guys who provided depth when we needed it, and didn't tie up a scholarship when we didn't need it.

Basically, low-rated 4-year guys are mostly risk (but possibly some reward if they pan out), while 1-year guys are almost always a boon with minimal risk, since there's no opportunity cost with the scholarship, and they can't hurt the program by transferring.

Rob Garrison was brought in to be a back up point guard for two months. Without him, we don't go undefeated waiting for Marcus Williams to finish serving his suspension. Donnell Beverley played as a true frosh when Dougie Wiggins got suspended, then sat for two years, and then gave us useful depth as a senior.

You are correct in that grad students don't present you with the APR risk of guys who come in, contribute and leave for more playing time (like Rob Garrison or T Sam), but hopefully we have learned how to keep people's grades passable even on their way out. If Kentucky can do it, how hard can it be.

I'm not sure we are disagreeing about much. My point remains that on a 13 man roster not everyone is ever going to be more than a role player, and recruiting the last few slots for that purpose is fine (so long as the players can serve their roles and not get you in trouble academically or behaviorally).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Well thought out but I would add that there is some risk with 1 year guys in that they don't necessarily integrate quickly with the schemes of coaches and the nuances to their team mates play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Rob Garrison was brought in to be a back up point guard for two months. Without him, we don't go undefeated waiting for Marcus Williams to finish serving his suspension. Donnell Beverley played as a true frosh when Dougie Wiggins got suspended, then sat for two years, and then gave us useful depth as a senior.

You are correct in that grad students don't present you with the APR risk of guys who come in, contribute and leave for more playing time (like Rob Garrison or T Sam), but hopefully we have learned how to keep people's grades passable even on their way out. If Kentucky can do it, how hard can it be.

I'm not sure we are disagreeing about much. My point remains that on a 13 man roster not everyone is ever going to be more than a role player, and recruiting the last few slots for that purpose is fine (so long as the players can serve their roles and not get you in trouble academically or behaviorally).

You are right on this. There is no reason a freshman low level 3 star can't come in and provide injury insurance and turn into a valuable component by junior or senior year. Why limit the history to guards? Look at a guy like Giffey. I've love to see us grab some European guard this year that nobody knows about. Sometimes it's nice to land a guy you can rely on for 4 years.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Atz
Calhoun almost never left a scholarship empty. He put some forgettable players into those schollies.

Mandeldove, Wayne Garrison, Scottie Harrelson (I know he was pretty highly ranked but totally one-dimensional), Jeff Calhoun, Gilead Katz, the list goes on and on. That was always my one knock on JC. He'd use every scholarship and bring in these 5 or 6 player classes, we'd have success, then they'd all leave and the cupboard would be bare/NIT.

Reaction Score
Filling Scholarships just to fill them out was a part of our APR problem.
Most kids come here with the expectation of playing .when it becomes evident that they are overmatched on the court and in even in the class room their instinct is to transfer.
Other schools can get away with it but our APR is still being scrutinized.

Reaction Score
Great post. I think it's imperative with one of the two scholies we get a ball handler/guard that can play immediately, based on the makeup for the team next year. Is there a link to all the recruits we've offered for 2016?

Reaction Score

I agree that we're pretty much on the same page, but I would add:

- Tying up the scholarship is also an issue if you have other roster holes and eventually need to ride the guy out of town, it's no guarantee you can free up the spot you need
- If you succeed in convincing him to transfer, their GPA needs to be even better than normal to transfer without hurting our APR. I'm pretty sure both Lubin and Samuel hurt our APR on their departure (Lubin definitely)

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Vital and a bulky 5th year big PF/C who can hit the glass.
I think Vital would complement this team nicely as a 4 year player, and we need an experienced big who doesn't get pushed around. We might as well use up the schollies now, we will have atleast 4 spots open up next year for MAL, Diallo and Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom