FIFA President Election | The Boneyard

FIFA President Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After two rounds of voting, Gianni Infantino from Switzerland will be replacing Sepp Blatter as FIFA President. This came as a surprise after African countries promised to Sheikh Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa. Jerome Champagne got 9 votes. The US initially voted for Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan; but, switched to Infantino in the second round.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/...ntino-beats-sheikh-salman-for-fifa-presidency

I was hoping for Ali Bin Al Hussein;, but, I think his hard stance againts the FIFA old guard ruffled too many feathers. I am glad that Blatter is gone and I hope that Infantino does the right thing; but, I am concerned. First, Infantino is a FIFA guy and is very close to Michel Platini, who like Blatter, is facing a 6 year ban. Second, Infantino promised to expand the World Cup to 40 teams, which I do not like, and that more money would be given to the confederations, which is a good thing on paper; but, that money often goes straight into the pockets of the confederation leaders and not for developing the sport locally like it should.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I read that Blatter was telling people it was his influence that got Infantino elected, as he was 'his' guy. That alone passed me off. My concern is it will be more of the same and the chances of 2022 WC host being revisited just became a lot less likely. Time will tell I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom