FIBA: Geno comments on Griner | The Boneyard

FIBA: Geno comments on Griner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This is zero surprise given Geno's comments on Griner over the past year.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

"I think I'm going to be on that phone call."

OOOOPS. There has long been a charade that the USA Basketball selection committees act independently of coaches in the team selection process ----- from the Olympic Team to the U-18's and Pan AmTeams etc.

And fans have long suspected that coaches, while not having a vote, did have influence, and did have the ear of the committees. Well, Geno has now clarified the situation with his comment that:

"I think I'm going to be on that phone call."

Thanks for the truth telling, Geno.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I hope we haven't opened up that orange colored "Pandora's Box" here.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We always knew that coaches can influence the selection process. What they can't do is make the final decision. There's no news here.

Reaction Score
We always knew that coaches can influence the selection process. What they can't do is make the final decision. There's no news here.

What you're saying, Nan, is that the coaches don't get a vote, as such. I would hope the selection committee would like to hear the coach's opinion. Not to let the coach illuminate the situation from his perspective would be foolhardy.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What you're saying, Nan, is that the coaches don't get a vote, as such. I would hope the selection committee would like to hear the coach's opinion. Not to let the coach illuminate the situation from his perspective would be foolhardy.
Precisely.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

Nan: Of course we have "known" that coaches can "influence" committee decisions.

The point of my post was (is) that I have never heard either a coach or a committee say that
in plain English. I think it is refreshing that Geno has spoken clearly on the subject.

I agree that this is not BIG news. But it is interesting and refreshing news.

Reaction Score
Of course the down side to not having a coaches opinion considered is that if the selection committee adds someone to the team that the coach (and it doesn't matter who it is) doesn't think fits then both the individual and the whole team suffers. If someone is selected that the coach doesn't think belongs then the coach just never plays that person and the team is in essence one player short, as it were. So of course a coaches input is important, no matter what they say about independence.

Reaction Score
I am still scratching my head over last year's selection committee decision. If nothing else, it gave rise to furious Boneyard repartee.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Anne Donovan to Tara have expressed similar "truths" over the years. Geno's offering up nothing new.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
oh boy... I wonder if this was used in the Meighan Simmons situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads