Fennelly predicts a UConn-Baylor final | The Boneyard

Fennelly predicts a UConn-Baylor final

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Iowa State vs. Baylor - Game Recap - January 18, 2017 - ESPN

"I think they're bigger than our men's team. That's by far the best team we've played. It's not even close," Fennelly said after the Cyclones' 68-42 loss Wednesday night. "I wish we could just take a shower and go play again and get it over with. ... Maybe they can just come on the charter with us. Let's play tomorrow and be done with it."

"I'm sure it will be a UConn-Baylor final in Dallas, which will be great for the sport," Fennelly said. Told of that, Mulkey smiled and responded, "Would you tell him to call all those other teams and just pencil us in, and we'll take a few days off." Fennelly said these Lady Bears remind him of their 2012 undefeated national championship team.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score

"I think they're bigger than our men's team. That's by far the best team we've played. It's not even close," Fennelly said after the Cyclones' 68-42 loss Wednesday night. "I wish we could just take a shower and go play again and get it over with. ... Maybe they can just come on the charter with us. Let's play tomorrow and be done with it."

"I'm sure it will be a UConn-Baylor final in Dallas, which will be great for the sport," Fennelly said. Told of that, Mulkey smiled and responded, "Would you tell him to call all those other teams and just pencil us in, and we'll take a few days off." Fennelly said these Lady Bears remind him of their 2012 undefeated national championship team.
Not undefeated this time.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

I'd rather that they reminded him of almost the same team 2o13 team that went 34-2.........................

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Definitely the best opponent out there. Hope they do their part.

Reaction Score
Certainly the Sagarin ratings indicate that there's a big gap between Baylor and UConn, and the rest of WCBB. And UConn's margin for error with Baylor is much smaller than any other team in the country.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's always a challenge for a losing coach to answer questions after their team is beaten badly. More often then not, there is a little hyperbole involved when praising their opponent, with two goals in mind: you have to play them again and you don't want your team to get down on themselves. ISU is currently 1-6 in the Big 12 and appears to be in for a tough season. We often see remarks striking a similar tone directed at UConn by opposing head coaches after just about every game.

Reaction Score
It's always a challenge for a losing coach to answer questions after their team is beaten badly. More often then not, there is a little hyperbole involved when praising their opponent, with two goals in mind: you have to play them again and you don't want your team to get down on themselves. ISU is currently 1-6 in the Big 12 and appears to be in for a tough season. We often see remarks striking a similar tone directed at UConn by opposing head coaches after just about every game.
good point! But I do think he's added some jokes about getting beat that (at least) I've not heard before. Of course, with a team like he has, he's probably had opportunity to develop them.

OTOH, Baylor couldn't really impose their will:
In a game matching the Big 12's two highest-scoring teams, Baylor (18-1, 7-0 Big 12) was held nearly 25 points below its national-best 92.6 per-game average. "They want you to play their tempo and I think we did for the most part and that's because they made us," Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said. "We were just never in the flow or had continuity, so give those guys credit."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This team may remind him of the 2012 team but this team is bigger and deeper. This is the best team Mulkey has ever put on the floor.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This team may remind him of the 2012 team but this team is bigger and deeper. This is the best team Mulkey has ever put on the floor.
Not remotely true (2012), but Baylor is certainly a threat.

I will worry about this in March/April. Dangerfield's health is a big concern, especially in March.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not remotely true (2012), but Baylor is certainly a threat.

I will worry about this in March/April. Dangerfield's health is a big concern, especially in March.

This team is a much better shooting team than the 2012 team and has a much better bench. That team without Griner would have been a top 10 team but would never have won a championship.

Maybe you just don't want to believe it is better?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Fennelly's comments are flattering, but he's forgetting that there are some other top 7-8 ranked teams in the country that are just as formidable that he should play first, before he anoints the Bears. Penciling them in at this point is a bit premature. None of the other would-be tournament teams have cosigned on that thought yet. Baylor is definitely a threat not to be taken lightly. They are going to be a handful for whoever they play.

But the same thing was said last year. As we all remember, Baylor got jacked, and relieved of their lunch money :eek: by (a dark horse) Oregon State (60-57) on the way to Indianapolis. I guess they didn't get the memo that Baylor had long standing reservations for the finals weekend in Indy.

Baylor (and any other team) can begin to worry about UConn when UConn is their next game. Until then, they need to focus on canceling the travel plans of their next opponent until they get to the championship game, and they are only 40 minutes away from hoisting the trophy. Teams can get in trouble looking ahead. Baylor may get there this time, but like last year, it's not going to be easy and nothing is guaranteed.

There will be teams in their bracket that have the same travel plans they do. The best thing any team can do once the tournament starts is to keep a close eye out for that wile old dark horse. There's one at every NCAA tournament, and you never see him coming until late in the fourth quarter, then it's usually too late.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Fennelly's comments are flattering, but he's forgetting that there are some other top 7-8 ranked teams in the country that are just as formidable that he should play first, before he anoints the Bears. Penciling them in at this point is a bit premature. None of the other would-be tournament teams have cosigned on that thought yet. Baylor is definitely a threat not to be taken lightly. They are going to be a handful for whoever they play.

But the same thing was said last year. As we all remember, Baylor got jacked, and relieved of their lunch money :eek: by (a dark horse) Oregon State (60-57) on the way to Indianapolis. I guess they didn't get the memo that Baylor had long standing reservations for the finals weekend in Indy.

Baylor (and any other team) can begin to worry about UConn when UConn is their next game. Until then, they need to focus on canceling the travel plans of their next opponent until they get to the championship game, and they are only 40 minutes away from hoisting the trophy. Teams can get in trouble looking ahead. Baylor may get there this time, but like last year, it's not going to be easy and nothing is guaranteed.

There will be teams in their bracket that have the same travel plans they do. The best thing any team can do once the tournament starts is to keep a close eye out for that wile old dark horse. There's one at every NCAA tournament, and you never see him coming until late in the fourth quarter, then it's usually too late.

This post makes it appear that you are REALLY fearful of Baylor. Remember, an opposing coach made these comments, not someone from the Baylor staff.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This post makes it appear that you are REALLY fearful of Baylor. Remember, an opposing coach made these comments, not someone from the Baylor staff.

Respectful, yes. Fearful, NO!! I understand where those comments came from. Teams don't normally fear a team they've already beaten.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Yeah, you're right. Talk is pretty cheap.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeah, you're right. Talk is pretty cheap.
I actually assume that Fennerly is well-compensated for uttering his words of wisdom. ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Why criticize Fennelly? All he said was that Baylor would be in the championship game with UCONN. Is it so bad that a coach also thinks that Baylor and UCONN are ahead of the rest of the pack?

Reaction Score
the 2012 Baylor team would have slaughtered this year's Baylor team, and would have a better than even chance of beating UConn.

Who on Baylor this year are even remotely comparable to Sims or Griner (particularly.)

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
the 2012 Baylor team would have slaughtered this year's Baylor team, and would have a better than even chance of beating UConn.

Like they came back the next year and slaughtered Louisville? That was an awesome team but I think this team is better. I guess we will just have to wait until the end of the season to see how well they stack up.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I think this year's team is UConn's biggest threat, mostly because of that word big. When you have a rebounding margin of +25 on the year and the next two best in the country are 16.5 and 13.5 it doesn't take a genius to realize why Baylor is pulverizing people. I don't think the team is as good as two of Griner's, but it's extremely dangerous because of its size.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think this year's team is UConn's biggest threat, mostly because of that word big. When you have a rebounding margin of +25 on the year and the next two best in the country are 16.5 and 13.5 it doesn't take a genius to realize why Baylor is pulverizing people. I don't think the team is as good as two of Griner's, but it's extremely dangerous because of its size.

And the size is playing really well. It took Mulkey a little while to figure out how to use it this year with the addition of Cox. Cox is playing so well that she is taking most of Mompremier's minutes lately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom