Featured Back this year?? | The Boneyard

Featured Back this year??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saw this fly accross my desk... (should be working but..)

Desmond Conner‏@desmondconner13 mins
Diaco says Max DeLorenzo and Josh Marriner will be stalwarts in backfield but three frosh, Johnson, Newsome and McAllister will play.

I am looking forward to seeing "Big Max" pounding away at the line.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I like the way Marriner runs. Similar to the way Donald Brown ran: finishing runs to gain an extra yard or two. If both Max and Marriner can do that, it would be a good change of pace to bring in a FR back against a battered and tired defense.

God, the thought of the return of a successful and punishing running game excites the heck out of me. I'm old school, I know. But there is nothing like imposing your will against a tired defense over and over and over again. Not to mention, it will open up play-action.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I like the way Marriner runs. Similar to the way Donald Brown ran: finishing runs to gain an extra yard or two. If both Max and Marriner can do that, it would be a good change of pace to bring in a FR back against a battered and tired defense.

God, the thought of the return of a successful and punishing running game excites the heck out of me. I'm old school, I know. But there is nothing like imposing your will against a tired defense over and over and over again. Not to mention, it will open up play-action.
That all depends on if the defense is battered and tired. The running game consists of at least six individuals. Don't forget, the big uglies up front aren't even remotely close to being set as of yet. On the other hand, I have no choice but to put my faith in Coach Foley. If we can judge on past performance, he should come through.

Reaction Score
We all want to see a vertical passing game..but without the run there is no passing game. I have a good feeling about what we are going to do on offense. If the guys upfront buy into Balis's program...with Foley's track record things should be interesting.

Reaction Score
We all want to see a vertical passing game..but without the run there is no passing game. I have a good feeling about what we are going to do on offense. If the guys upfront buy into Balis's program...with Foley's track record things should be interesting.

Based on reports they have bought into Balis. Otherwise it would be too late to start. I cannot see Foley failing in any way with this group. We just need patience.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Call me crazy but I think you could see us in that "diamond" formation this year. We have great depth at RB and could line up DeLorenzo/Johnson as the tailback, Marriner on one side of the QB with Newsome/McCallister on the other side.

Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/07/marriner-opening-some-eyes-at-uconn.html

>>Diaco could not say enough good things about the 5-foot-9, 193-pound Marriner. "Josh is pound for pound the strongest player on our team," Diaco said at Tuesday's American Athletic Conference football media day. "This guy is fast, he is strong, he is powerful. he is a tackle breaker with leg drive, he can push through tacklers and he can also make you miss, he's got some gas to otherwise extend runs that are needed. He is such a fantastic young guy, I can't say enough good things about him, selfless, a great teammate, works hard, one of the hardest workers on the team. He has been so fun to coach."<<

Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/07/marriner-opening-some-eyes-at-uconn.html

>>Diaco could not say enough good things about the 5-foot-9, 193-pound Marriner. "Josh is pound for pound the strongest player on our team," Diaco said at Tuesday's American Athletic Conference football media day. "This guy is fast, he is strong, he is powerful. he is a tackle breaker with leg drive, he can push through tacklers and he can also make you miss, he's got some gas to otherwise extend runs that are needed. He is such a fantastic young guy, I can't say enough good things about him, selfless, a great teammate, works hard, one of the hardest workers on the team. He has been so fun to coach."<<

Sounds like the second coming of Donald Brown!

Reaction Score
Sounds like the second coming of Donald Brown!
I've heard good things about him, heard him compared more to Todman not quite as big as Brown, but who knows. I think this kid will be the real deal though. Even if he's only Dixon I'll be happy.

Reaction Score
It makes the McCombs gets every carry decision of the previous staff even more baffling.
Except that McCombs didn't carry every down. He had 159 carries, roughly 40% of the total. DeLorenzo had 99, about 25%. the balance were spread among a bunch of guys. Throw out the quarterback sacks/scrambles and it comes to about 50% and 30%. Which is not that different from what you'd expect from your #1 and #2 backs. You can argue about who was the more effective back, but the distribution last year was pretty normal. You want to say 2012, well maybe,but even then, McCombs carried it about 60% of the time. And Max was a freshman, so again it isn't too unusual that he'd get worked in a bit more slowly, which if you look at his carries is exactly what happened. You can criticize Pasqualoni for lots of things, DeLeon for even more. And you can certainly criticize them for an ineffective running game, but my sense is that was as much scheme as who carried the football. But I'm not sure you can criticize them for this.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Does anyone actually believe the statement about all three freshman running backs playing this year?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Went to alumni dinner tonight, seems Diaco has a spot for Max in his heart ,loves that up the middle for a TD guy. Which is EXACTLY why sec 241 loves Max! another Sherman tank in the making.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Does anyone actually believe the statement about all three freshman running backs playing this year?
Nope. Only happens due to injury or lack of production from your top 3.

THC

Reaction Score
Went to alumni dinner tonight, seems Diaco has a spot for Max in his heart ,loves that up the middle for a TD guy. Which is EXACTLY why sec 241 loves Max! another Sherman tank in the making.
Diaco is an idiot. Max hates contact, just ask whaler 11. The people of Berlin whispered it to him.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would expect Max, and Marriner to get the majority of the carries. He did say all three freshman could play, but stated that doesn't mean running the ball but maybe on kickoff returns or punt returns. The freshman backs all have a six inch playbook to digest along with taking college classes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Diaco is an idiot. Max hates contact, just ask whaler 11. The people of Berlin whispered it to him.

Dude you got the wrong guy. There are a lot of balloon knots involved in Berlin football but certainly no one there tells me anything and I wasn't the one saying dumb things about MD.

Maybe lay off the THC.

Reaction Score
Speed kills. I believe Arkeel Newsome is a very special player. I expect that he will help UCONN this year. Besides, I am not sure but I believe he is 21 years old so he is not your typical 18 yr old freshman!

Reaction Score
Where's the contrast?

I expect Arkeel Newsome to play. Yeah Yeah ... I can see the guys Diaco has recruited & they all fit the prototype - BIGGG. But, I think Newsome brings the spurtability that is just different than what we think we will see from Marriner & Max. I want Johnson to develop & I am excited that McAllister is here.

What I will say about the McCombs days is ... it is hard to believe (particularly thinking back to Terry Caulley, Bellamy, Brockington Lawrence) that we had just McCombs really. BAD last days of Edsall harvest into a really odd period.

Reaction Score
I suspect Newsome may be returning kicks. One of the best ways to make a team markedly better is with strong special teams. Using Arkeel as a weapon right away is an interesting option. I don't believe we have anyone that's considered a great kick returner, do we?

In terms of running the ball often, Arkeel probably needs another year of strength training to see what he can really do. I doubt he is anywhere near his true physical potential at this point. I hope we don't end up burning a year on any of these guys by giving them a few carries and then sitting them. It seems like we have enough depth in the backfield that being thoughtful about who to play this year is doable.

Reaction Score
Coach had good things to say last night about his vision of Max pounding the rock and scoring in the red zone. Looks like he'll get touches until he proves otherwise. It's pretty clear he hasn't given the returning guys the idea that a lack of talent was the main problem last year.

Almost walked right through Coach when I entered until his eyes caught my attention as he was more than happy to greet and engage. Spoke to him twice and he was receptive to talking fb with a total stranger to the event.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where's the contrast?

I expect Arkeel Newsome to play. Yeah Yeah ... I can see the guys Diaco has recruited & they all fit the prototype - BIGGG. But, I think Newsome brings the spurtability that is just different than what we think we will see from Marriner & Max. I want Johnson to develop & I am excited that McAllister is here.

What I will say about the McCombs days is ... it is hard to believe (particularly thinking back to Terry Caulley, Bellamy, Brockington Lawrence) that we had just McCombs really. BAD last days of Edsall harvest into a really odd period.
I think we'll see one of the frosh play, but I doubt all three see the field unless its on special teams. And Pudge, I think the running back situation under Edsall was not really as bleak as you paint it. Had he stayed, I think its pretty likely things would have been quite different with Frey. And don't forget the transfer from USC. You can't account for a player getting injured. And Joe Williams was originally recruited by Edsall, too. He came with a great rep and who knows what would have happened in a more disciplined regime. He seemed like the type of running back that Edsall would have developed into at least a serviceable one. So our lack of depth at running back was to some extent a combination of bad luck, the coaching transition and again, poor schemes in the running game.

As far as Newsome returning kicks, I'm not sure I love that idea. Don't love running backs returning kicks as a regular thing, especially if you plan to have them be your GUY at some point. Plus I thought I read that Abrams or Foxx, I can't remember which one, would be the primary return guy.

THC

Reaction Score
Dude you got the wrong guy. There are a lot of balloon knots involved in Berlin football but certainly no one there tells me anything and I wasn't the one saying dumb things about MD.

Maybe lay off the THC.

"Generally people associated with high schools way overrate their players' futures. Berlin is the kind of program where they whisper that he's afraid to get hit. I'm sure they said that plenty when he was their best player as they rolled through their schedule when he was there."
whaler11, Mar 14, 2012

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Generally people associated with high schools way overrate their players' futures. Berlin is the kind of program where they whisper that he's afraid to get hit. I'm sure they said that plenty when he was their best player as they rolled through their schedule when he was there."
whaler11, Mar 14, 2012

Dude I'm bad mouthing the jerks in Berlin. I said they would be the kind of people talking trash about him when he was their best player.

I used to officiate his games that is how I'm more than familiar with the Berlin culture. I clearly state he was their best player during great seasons.

The drugs have impacted your ability to comprehend, but nice job holding onto that misrepresentation for years - so the memory is still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom