Men - Fall Baseball | The Boneyard

Men Fall Baseball

Reaction Score
With it being an 8 month plus season as it is, are the benefits of FallBall that overwhelming that the old school “rest the arms” a few months theory doesn’t exist anymore? I understand it’s D1 athletics, but it’s just mind boggling the amount of TJ surgeries in all levels of baseball opposed to 30 years ago. Does the good ole’ “let the body” recover not exist anymore? The strategic side of gaining info of new players, transfers, etc are invaluable, but most if not all have some wear/tear by October, no? The less mileage adage applied to northern players, particularly pitchers, can’t exist anymore given the elbow injuries across baseball. It’s hard to believe that was nothing more then folklore sorta speak.

Reaction Score
With it being an 8 month plus season as it is, are the benefits of FallBall that overwhelming that the old school “rest the arms” a few months theory doesn’t exist anymore? I understand it’s D1 athletics, but it’s just mind boggling the amount of TJ surgeries in all levels of baseball opposed to 30 years ago. Does the good ole’ “let the body” recover not exist anymore? The strategic side of gaining info of new players, transfers, etc are invaluable, but most if not all have some wear/tear by October, no? The less mileage adage applied to northern players, particularly pitchers, can’t exist anymore given the elbow injuries across baseball. It’s hard to believe that was nothing more then folklore sorta speak.
College baseball season is mid February thru end of May (for most teams) or mid June (for CWS teams). Four month season not eight.

No one is forcing anyone to play summer ball and honestly most D1 coaches put inning limits on their pitchers that they send to summer leagues.

Fall ball is six weeks of play and is more developmental than anything. See what you have coming back, see how new guys stack up and that's it. Not to be designed to be very stressful on any arms.

Reaction Score
It’s not an accusation of “forcing anybody to do anything “. Merely, wear n tear on players. Predominately pitchers. The fact that it’s not deemed “ high pressure” situations is null. It’s still innings on the arms. As for its purposes, developmentally, FallBall is great. I’m not sure it’s always worth it for pitchers.

Reaction Score
I realize the college season is not 8 months. I should have stated more clearly that including summer ball, it’s a solid 7 months., not 8. You have to include the 6 weeks or 2 months prior to the start in February. It’s essentially a 9-10 month season with some type of throwing taking place. Thats my only point. Again, it’s difficult to understand why the number of injuries to pitchers is where it is year after year. Overuse perhaps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom