MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It seems like Commitment Week! :)

Congrats to Faith and Dule.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Once again, this demonstrates how great a country we live in. I find out breaking Duke news on a UCONN board. :p

Seems like I use this quote 2-3 4-5 times a year :p

:cool:

Now, if I come to The Boneyard and find out that my significant other is dumping me..... then..... well... I'd probably never come back to the Boneyard :oops:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Yay!!

Another guard-ish player to Duke!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I really do love that Duke is still getting good kids. Gorecki and now Suggs. I'm a fan! Now if I could just muster enough energy to be a real fan of their coach...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Now, if I come to The Boneyard and find out that my significant other is dumping me..... then..... well... I'd probably never come back to the Boneyard :oops:
Have you heard that Cheerwine is going out of business?

Just kidding. :)

Reaction Score

DOOKIE: well HERE'S some breaking news for ya.....your significant other just made a home visit to MY house :):cool::p

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Gorecki and Suggs both from IL, right? I guess Duke recruits nationally anyway. Just interesting to see...plus close to ND's territory.

Reaction Score
DOOKIE: and, as you anticipated, and probably already know, I did get an offer. :) Probably gonna take an "Official" sometime real soon. Be seeing ya on Tobacco Road.

By the way, my high school Captain played for you folks back in the day....his.best games were 20 points against SC.....and, in a different game against them, 20 rebounds. He was a frosh when one of your all time greats (and you've certainly had many), Dick Groat, was a senior. (The following year I received and still have a scholarship offer letter from then- Coach Bradley, which says "and as your basketball ability increases, your scholarship will increase proportionately.." Well, I didn't have much ability to start with, and I knew there wasn't going to be much of an increase; and that is among the reasons I decided to matriculate elsewhere.

Don't know how far back you go, but Groat had his Duke basketball jersey retired and also played pro baseball for the Pirates

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
^^^^

Ha... in that case.. I can sell this North Face Jacket that she was supposed to be getting as a gift :rolleyes:

Well I'd heard of Groat... but looked it up on wikipedia .. and he was the National Player of the year........ 20 years before I was born in 1972. I have seen his Jersey up in the rafters of Cameron... I assumed he was a player in the 1960s or so.

Reaction Score
Never, ever, try to buy your way into a woman's heart. That's the sort of thing that MEYERS would attempt.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
^^^^

Ha... in that case.. I can sell this North Face Jacket that she was supposed to be getting as a gift :rolleyes:

Well I'd heard of Groat... but looked it up on wikipedia .. and he was the National Player of the year... 20 years before I was born in 1972. I have seen his Jersey up in the rafters of Cameron... I assumed he was a player in the 1960s or so.
He was National League MVP when the Pirates won the World Series in 1960 on Bill Mazeroski's home run in the bottom of the 9th. They beat the Yankees of Mantle, Maris, Yogi Berra, and Whitey Ford -- although the Yankees scored about 30 more runs in the 7-game series.

Until recently, that was the only walkoff hit to end a World Series. I was an 11-year-old kid going to a Catholic grade school in Pittsburgh then. Only about 3 weeks later, JFK was elected as the first Catholic President. I was convinced at that point that the good guys always won.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I saw Dick Groat play basketball for Swissvale (Pa.) High. I watched him from the bench (Peabody High, Pittsburgh), so I can't honestly boast that I played against him. Groat went straight from Duke to the Pirates, never a day in the minors. He was the team captain and, as noted, NL MVP in 1960 despite missing much of the season with an injury. A classy guy and a true champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom