Facey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Facey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Every one was saying Phil would make a "Hilton Leap" last year. Will it actually be Facey this year?

Who was saying Phil would take a "Hilton Leap" ? Do any of you actually watch the games? Nolan had little coordination nor athleticism. For 4 years. He understood his role and postioning. Facey actually is a 6 foot 10 athlete with a body jumping ability touch. There is a world of difference in expecting Facey to develop (or Enoch) versus Nolan.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Who was saying Phil would take a "Hilton Leap" ? Do any of you actually watch the games? Nolan had little coordination nor athleticism. For 4 years. He understood his role and postioning. Facey actually is a 6 foot 10 athlete with a body jumping ability touch. There is a world of difference in expecting Facey to develop (or Enoch) versus Nolan.
I perhaps misspoke (mistyped?). People were HOPING Phil would randomly be a stud last year.

Reaction Score
Feel like the guy has always had a ton of talent and that we should have seen more performances like this through his career. Not a knock on him but just kind of got caught in some less than optimal circumstances.

Maybe he can take how similiary to how Deandre went from enigmatic to big time in 2014.

This is all about confidence. That also is why our Zone Offense looks anemic. Have Durham or Facey start making short jumpers ... they get more confident. We all get better. Minutes on the court actually is a really big deal. Facey and Durham and Jackson and Enoch and Vital will get lots of minutes given our circumstances.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Seriously. He doesn't have to score. Just own the glass and people will be stoked.
If he owns the glass he will score.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ollie has a way of burying Facey the next game after a good performance. Let's hope he doesn't do that now.

Reaction Score
Ollie has a way of burying Facey the next game after a good performance. Let's hope he doesn't do that now.

How many good performances has he had? This kid last night was someone totally different than who we have seen all year, maybe his whole career minus Duke. It's on him to do it again this weekend vs Ohio State, not Ko. It's obvious he has the ability and athleticism. Don't come in and get 2 quick fouls, and rebound the basketball. He was great, would love to see it again.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
From the Register ... " Senior Kentan Facey had been battling a stomach virus for the past few days and threw up into a trash basket during two different timeouts, as well as at halftime."

Was it the Jerk Chicken from a NYC street vendor ?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
One of my things coaching and watching teams I love (this shouldn't be ground breaking so I'm not purporting it to be) is seeing how well guys play to their specific roles.

Facey must realize THAT is how he should play EVERY game, EVERY play, because that's his most important role for his skill set and THIS team: energy, rebounds, putbacks, finishing off guard dimes.

If Purvis realizes the same, Brimah, Adams, etc., that's when things come together seemingly "out of nowhere" like our greatest teams have done.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I don't think Ollie can bury anyone because he is only using 8 players. I see the minutes falling this way. JA 35+, RP 30+, CV 25+, AB 20-30, KF 15-30, SE 10-20, VJ 10-20, JD 5-20. The big man minutes may fluctuate due to who is playing well on a given night but fouls notwithstanding I see Ollie going with his big man seniors to finish every game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I see nothing wrong with giving Facey some overt positive reinforcement right now. I know it will pay dividends over the rest of the season. Also, he actually has some touch around the hoop unlike everyone else.

Reaction Score
Instead of coming in, how bout he starts?

I actually think - Facey - he is one of those kids that may be better not starting. Get the flow of the game going and let him step in while others have gotten winded. Confidence? Make a shot ... get a rebound. Force the ball into him where he can shoot. Nothing magical about starters. In fact, our first 4 minutes in most every game has been awkward; Facey starting won't change that. Better ball movement might.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I see nothing wrong with giving Facey some overt positive reinforcement right now. I know it will pay dividends over the rest of the season. Also, he actually has some touch around the hoop unlike everyone else.
I'm for positive reinforcement, but Facey's start in both halves was a major factor in the Oregon loss.

The problem with this team is consistency in performance. You never know which player is going to show up in a game. I'm with @Pudge. The problem with this team is tightness and losses only make them tighter. Hopefully they can build momentum with their confidence after this win.

KO has to continuously assess the play of his players. His options are limited but I don't believe any player on this team has demonstrated enough consistency to make a generalized statement about them.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Best game of his career.

top two anyway

unfortunately, there's only been two, but I'm hoping the light switch has been flicked and he'll finish his senior year like this, he finishes like the recruit we always thought we had

C'mon Facey, we need you and you need it

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There are about 25 times (minimum) per game where Facey gets open in the lane, calls for the ball, and gets ignored as the rock gets passed around the arc. That's the thing that frustrates me the most when he's on the floor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There are about 25 times (minimum) per game where Facey gets open in the lane, calls for the ball, and gets ignored as the rock gets passed around the arc...
Opting for 26-foot bombs.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
I love the tenacity on the boards, don't get me wrong. But it drives me insane when he gets an offensive board, brings the ball down, up-fakes and then misses a layup. It happens all the time! He is like a black hole after he gets the ball in the low post. IMO he needs to look to kick the ball out to the perimeter to open shooters every once in a while when the D collapses on him. With that said, if he continues to pull down 13 board a game, he can do what ever he wants, keep up the effort.

Reaction Score
I've come to the conclusion that Facey is the key player on the team.

Purvis runs hot and cold--Adams can be neutralized with a good zone. We never know what we're going to get from otehrs.

But I have confidence that if a team plays man against the Huskies, then Adams is going to go off.

If they play zone, then Facey needs to be the one who hurts them with offensive rebounds. Facey also shooting from that spot inside the key, along with Durham.

Teams are going to zone UConn all year to prevent Adams from going off. How can UConn hurt them? Facey is the only one.

Reaction Score
And just like that the bar has been raised. Let's hope he can go back to back.

Reaction Score
I love the tenacity on the boards, don't get me wrong. But it drives me insane when he gets an offensive board, brings the ball down, up-fakes and then misses a layup. It happens all the time! He is like a black hole after he gets the ball in the low post. IMO he needs to look to kick the ball out to the perimeter to open shooters every once in a while when the D collapses on him. With that said, if he continues to pull down 13 board a game, he can do what ever he wants, keep up the effort.

You are correct on the whole. Yesterday he did have a nice sequence where he grabbed an O board, and got the hockey assist after he dished to Jalen, who hit Rodney for an open 3 in the corner.

Reaction Score
I would love to see specific examples of this but they don't exist. We've seen this from Kentan before, a good game or two followed up by a long stretch of him basically playing like someone playing basketball as a cardio workout. Would love to see this be the start of him being a contributor instead of just being out there on the court but I have my doubts.

Reaction Score
I would agree his best performance as a Husky, been waiting for him to break out. Some of that had to do with finding the gaps in the Syracuse zone (and hitting his shots). The zone also makes it harder for the defense to box out on a rebound, Facey found a way to slither through to get rebounds. I just hope he can keep it up against man to man defenses, which is what everyone else plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom