Expectations for UCONN 2016 - Jay Saunders | The Boneyard

Expectations for UCONN 2016 - Jay Saunders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"The 2015 Huskies offense was brutal. Twenty points against FBS Villanova. A measly six against Missouri. A defensive touchdown at Tulane and, for an encore, UConn scored just 10 points in the bowl game against Marshall. "

FIFY

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
"The 2015 Huskies offense was brutal. Twenty points against FBS Villanova. A measly six against Missouri. A defensive touchdown at Tulane and, for an encore, UConn scored just 10 points in the bowl game against Marshall. "

FIFY

Beat me to it. Pick six. And that game was played in a monsoon.

I think the offense improves by 6 or 7 ppg this year. Stability and experience help. And because the offense won't be as inept, the defense won't have quite as much pressure on it. They can cut 3 ppg off an already good average. None of the four ooc opponents we face are offensive juggernauts.

That's a 9 or 10 point swing. Maybe we're 7-5?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Beat me to it. Pick six. And that game was played in a monsoon.

I think the offense improves by 6 or 7 ppg this year. Stability and experience help. And because the offense won't be as inept, the defense won't have quite as much pressure on it. They can cut 3 ppg off an already good average. None of the four ooc opponents we face are offensive juggernauts.

That's a 9 or 10 point swing. Maybe we're 7-5?

Whenever we were able to score 20 last year, which isn't asking much, we were a very tough team to beat.

Reaction Score
Redzone.. Redzone Redzone Redzone... we MUST convert in the Redzone... we do that we're having a special season....

Reaction Score
Redzone.. Redzone Redzone Redzone... we MUST convert in the Redzone... we do that we're having a special season....

I get what you're saying ... but the only time UCONN was in the redzone at Missouri they scored a TD ... so they were 1 for 1!! :D

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
That game I think was a killer. Fake field goal! What was he thinking??

It's games like that which convince me that an avid fan at home (or in a bar) can often do better with play calls and time management than the average coach when the clock is under two minutes.

I couldn't run a college football program if my life depended on it. Just give me control of the game at the end of each half.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The first fake was a brilliant call. Their guy made a great play to break it up but was originally beat. If Boyle throws a better ball (higher arc and deeper), it's an easy TD.

The second fake was brutal. Take the tie game and play for OT. OR, just go for it on 4th down using the regular offense (and BS, not Boyle). But given the game and where it fell in the season, I think the "go for it" mentality really resonated with the players and gave them a bit of confidence even though they lost that game.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The 2015 offense was better than the 2014 because it could string together a few first downs before flaming out. The next step is to convert on 3 and 4 to keep the drive going, make a play that results in 6 or chunk out yardage in early downs. I think the natural progression is for all 3 - better O line, more experienced skill players and an offensive coordinator going into year 2, which hasn't happened in a few years.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The first fake was a brilliant call. Their guy made a great play to break it up but was originally beat. If Boyle throws a better ball (higher arc and deeper), it's an easy TD.

The second fake was brutal. Take the tie game and play for OT. OR, just go for it on 4th down using the regular offense (and BS, not Boyle). But given the game and where it fell in the season, I think the "go for it" mentality really resonated with the players and gave them a bit of confidence even though they lost that game.
Yes it was an "in it to win moment"; it was also a flat out concession that we could not grind out a yard... didn't we have a wide open 3rd down play on that series with the receiver (max?) getting knocked off his route?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm glad we open with a true cupcake this year. Nova, Stony Brook, and obviously Towson are no joke. This year the team can come out and have fun and work on some stuff without having the outcome be too much in doubt. Obviously still need to play with focus though. Hopefully the boys can gain some confidence as the schedule gets real serious immediately after that.

Reaction Score
That play came within an eyelash of working. If it works he's a genius.

I have plenty of critiques of Diaco. But not that.
Everybody knew it was happening and it didn't come within an eyelas of working. It was a terrible call.

Reaction Score
The true key to success is maturation of the offensive line
Although still young they are not inexperienced.
The ability to sustain a drive effects every aspect of the game and it largely depends on the offensive lines effectiveness.
Decent running backs become good,passing attacks become more potent,
and defense by virtue of rest becomes more focused,

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
For me, two things are huge for us this upcoming year. First thing has already been mentioned here--red zone offense. we settled for field goals, or got turnovers on 4th down inside the red zone too many times last year. Second is 3rd down defense. We got burned on 3rd down in a number of games last season

Reaction Score
I think this team goes as far as the OL and front 7 on D take it. If we can protect the QB and establish a run game, while the front 7 can stop the run and create pressure on the other QBs, then we've got a chance to be a really good team. Blocking and tackling as Carl always says.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think this team goes as far as the OL and front 7 on D take it. If we can protect the QB and establish a run game, while the front 7 can stop the run and create pressure on the other QBs, then we've got a chance to be a really good team. Blocking and tackling as Carl always says.

Our front seven shouldn't be an issue. Fatukasi is a legit NFL prospect, Carrezola plays the hybrid DE/LB position well, and Ormsby is good enough. Our LB group should be as good, if not better than last year. Hoping for a little bit more length and speed from Graham Stewart's position to hopefully protect the edge a bit better on outside run plays. Interested to see how Levenberry pans out.

Reaction Score
On the fake the receiver was triple covered and Boyle didn't lead the receiver but threw it into the crowd. He had no chance. Maybe he throws it high and long there is a slim chance. It was a huge brainf@rt by the coach. I admire the attitude but the execution was awful.

Reaction Score
The true key to success is maturation of the offensive line
Although still young they are not inexperienced.
The ability to sustain a drive effects every aspect of the game and it largely depends on the offensive lines effectiveness.
Decent running backs become good,passing attacks become more potent,
and defense by virtue of rest becomes more focused,

You are 100% correct AND that goes for the big eaters on the D-line too!
Check out how Tom Herman coach of Houston treats his linemen as the most
important component of his team! His results add meaning to his methods! He
Even kicked boosters out of First class on a flight in favor of the linemen!

Houston boosters used to fly first class with the team, but under Tom Herman, first class is for the lineman - FootballScoop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom