ESPN3 has no plans to stream SNY broadcasted Games this year! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN3 has no plans to stream SNY broadcasted Games this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The issue is typically water or snow on the actual surface of the dish and not in the atmosphere - the best plan when lightening is not present is to send either you kid or your spouse out with an umbrella to shield the dish surface - that's why you have a family anyway, isn't it! :eek: Used to work great when dealing with the old rabbit ear antennas - they can take a break during the commercials so it isn't all that arduous!:rolleyes: 3.5 hour football games are a little harder, but they will build up stamina with lots of practice!:cool:
That's interesting about the water or snow on the dish. I always thought it was because the TV signal was being absorbed too much by all the rain or snow before getting to your dish. Couldn't you just drill holes in the dish to let the water drain out? Not sure what you do when there's a big snow storm and the dish has a foot or two of snow on it. Wait for spring?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The difference between HD and SD is the amount of data loss - its like streaming video - when your connection gets slower the streaming goes from HD to SD automatically on most sites so you still get the feed but the quality gets worse. Same thing is happening with your dish, but the TV doesn't throttle down it just craps out and you have to manually change to the SD station.
That's interesting about the water or snow on the dish. I always thought it was because the TV signal was being absorbed too much by all the rain or snow before getting to your dish. Couldn't you just drill holes in the dish to let the water drain out? Not sure what you do when there's a big snow storm and the dish has a foot or two of snow on it. Wait for spring?
I am sure some of it is atmospheric, but when I had dish it was specific to the water on the surface. There could be a huge storm between my dish and the satellites but as long as I wasn't in the deluge my signal never wavered. A lot of the old large dishes did have holes but mostly to reduce wind resistance. But every hole creates a decrease in signal focused onto the receiver and the remaining dish still gets 'deformed' by the water running down it.

Reaction Score
I received a very disturbing response from ESPN customer service today after a week of phone calls and IT escalations.
ESPN3 has no plans to stream the UCONN games that are broadcast via SNY as it did last year.
At first I though it was a cruel joke or someone just fell asleep at the wheel-still hoping that is the case.
Regardless I cannot live like this! Please contact ESPN at this number or URL and see if you can change some minds.
Edited: (do not post addresses or phone number)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=espncscontact
Reference Ticket Number: CTOI-5457
You can watch SNY anyplace in the country, on Direct TV, or Verizon TV......I have had Direct for years just to watch Uconn, and just switched to Verizon Fios for same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You can watch SNY anyplace in the country, on Direct TV, or Verizon TV.I have had Direct for years just to watch Uconn, and just switched to Verizon Fios for same reason.
Welcome and thanks. Fortunately this situation has been resolved and I'm glad to say I panicked prematurely.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Welcome and thanks. Fortunately this situation has been resolved and I'm glad to say I panicked prematurely.
resolved how (haven't looked at other threads yet, just replying to my notifications)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
resolved how (haven't looked at other threads yet, just replying to my notifications)

Fuller reported the following which, if accurate, should mean no changes from last year:

I was asked to check on whether ESPN3 would carry streams of the games televised on SNY and I was told by the people at UConn that the setup is the same as last year so some games will be subject to blackout in the SNY coverage area but will be available on an archive basis.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the horde spoke to the Uconn folks who guaranteed it would proceed like last year.

Reaction Score
Saw it and will definitely sleep better now.

:) Good news/bad news for me...more good because I get to see the games. The bad is that I see 'em on delay/replay. This means some late nights and maintaining (BVA) Boneyard viewer avoidance and public "TV/radio silence" (sigh).

It's annoying that the blackout area extends to NEPA, hardly a hotbed of UConn followers. (...BUT, as some one used to say, "Don't look a gift Husky in the mouth.")

Reaction Score
is that with the dish on the roof on in the ground... btw which installation is better (roof or ground)
I had dish on roof hard to get snow off dish on roof had dish put on ground level walk out dust off with broom much easier short interruption of a uconn game not acceptable Grammarians Front And Center:cool::cool::cool:

Reaction Score
ESPN is on the verge of mass layoffs.

An ESPN representative declined to comment on Tuesday evening. Earlier in the day Bloomberg News reported that up to 350 employees, or 4.3% of its 8,000 positions, will be affected.

The layoffs are seen as both a reaction to, and preparation for, wrenching changes in the cable television business. Cable channels like ESPN, which depend on subscriber fees, have been pinched by the small but growing number of viewers unsubscribing.

Back in August ESPN's parent company, Disney, reduced its profit growth expectations for the network, citing marketplace challenges.

Layoff rumors started not long after. The Big Lead, a sports news site, said in September that Disney had told ESPN to "trim $100 million from the 2016 budget and $250 million in 2017."

[MORE]

Whatever is left of WatchESPN, let's hope the entire boat doesn't sink. Damn that Mickey Mouse!

Reaction Score
ESPN Announces Layoffs, 200 In Bristol

The cut is the second in three years for the sports network, which has lost a few million subscribers in the last four years from a cable TV base that was approaching 100 million customers. The layoffs cut across pay levels and departments with no major area targeted for closure.

The network has 4,200 employees in Bristol and about 8,000 worldwide. All employees laid off will have the option to remain with ESPN for at least 60 days...

The layoff will leave ESPN in compliance with a state economic development deal under which it received $10 million in state tax credits, spokesman Mike Soltys said. ESPN had to spend at least $175 million on Digital Center 2, the home of its SportsCenter broadcasts, and add at least 200 jobs for a total of about 4,000 — numbers the network said it exceeded by the time the building opened in 2014.

"Even after this action we will be above our state commitment and we expect that to continue," Soltys said Wednesday.

[MORE]

Reaction Score
This is just the beginning unless ESPN figures out a new revenue model to fully replace their old/current one (charge every cable company in the Western hemisphere $6/month and the subscriber has no opt-out). Great work if you can get it, but that's about to be over with the coming unbundling of cable channels.

Likely result when it all shakes out is those who want ESPN will pay more (the full cost of production), and those who don't want it will pay nothing. That's probably how it should be. How much more we are willing to pay will determine how much coverage we will get and how glamorous the announcers are (They've already decided they can't afford Keith Olberman, Bill Simmons, Colin Cowherd, etc. Will they really be able to afford John Gruden at $5.5 million and Stephen A. Smith at $2.2 million?)

Q: Will ESPN still be able to subsidize the WNBA and WCBB? (i.e. Should Sue consider coaching?)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Or as Patriots fans say 'Karma is a B____!' Mess with TB12 and bad things will happen. :eek::cool:

Reaction Score
Thanks for the valuable information. For the last few years I've been ordering the sports package on Directv to get the UConn games on SNY. I didn't realize I could also see the games on ESPN3. Being here in Berkeley I feel I'm the only in the area who cares about UConn. It's nice to know that there are fanatical fans all over the country who live and die with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom