ESPN Recruiting Class Rankings (UConn 3rd) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN Recruiting Class Rankings (UConn 3rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno often has an overload of Guards--he personally loves guard play--many of his "plays" offensive or defensive are guard oriented.
Some of his teams in the past lacked height (6'4 or larger) --He has often played a 4 guard offense. I'm not sure what the ratio is between the various positions should be to attain balance. From my view point on the outside looking in--Geno's isn't balanced
Although Geno will play 4 "guards", he generally goes with 6 on the roster. This year is no difference with Gabby listed as a guard. I can't remember when Geno went with 8 guards. Can anyone inform me on this? Frankly I'm looking forward to players from the 1 and 2 transferring from Louisville as I'm looking forward to 3,4, or 5's transferring from Baylor next year.

Reaction Score
A trio of players in the 15-40 range is much more like the Nurse/Williams/Edwards/Ekmark class than Stewie/Morgan/Mo.

We still need that stud to put us over the top.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
They are not ranked. They have just the one recruit so far, Mikayla Vaughn, who is not in ESPN's top 100.

Mikayla Vaughn

Blue Star: #15
ESPN: #90
Dan Olson Collegiate Girls Basketball Report: #91
Prospects Nation: #150

**Note that Dan Olson also does the ESPN rankings and has so for the past few years. He recently made a few minor revisions to the Collegiate Girls Basketball Report rankings that he has not made (or ESPN has not requested) to the ESPN rankings.

***Note that I was unable to find/access the ASGR rating, so her ASGR ranking is not included.

Reaction Score
A trio of players in the 15-40 range is much more like the Nurse/Williams/Edwards/Ekmark class than Stewie/Morgan/Mo.

Yeah Geno

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
This chart looks as "scientific" to me as one that awarded the most points for players with last names that begin with the lowest letters in the alphabet.

Not only does the success of a recruit depend on position and team fit, but how that particular player develops complimentary skills, takes tough coaching, and handles the stress of being on a top team over four years of maturation.

Everyone thinks: well, 5 years ago Geno got 1, 2 and 6 (and the 6 might have been 1a if not injured) and so that proves that rankings work. But Geno brought that trio into a somewhat depleted group and brought them along, pretty much in tandem. Their dominance had as much to do with situation and coaching as it did with their high school rankings. So, that model was circumstance contingent. When integrating new players into line-ups already rich with top-performing veterans, there are far more variables in trying to predict how a recruiting class will end up being assessed 4 years later, when they finish college.

Attributed to Mark Twain, who in turn attributed it to Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I don't think I understand what you're saying about "depleted group." The team, in Stewie et al's senior year of high school (the season before they joined the team), reached the Final Four with sophomore All-American Bria Hartley, rising sophomore Stefanie Dolson, and freshmen KML, a #1 recruit, and Kiah Stokes (and eventual transfer Brianna Banks).

I'm also not sure I understand you're comment about their dominance not being due to their high school rankings. The trio wasn't dominant because of their high school rankings but their dominance was predicted by those rankings. The rankings said Stewie was the #1 player and she was. Those rankings said Mo was #2 and she was.

Starting with marble yields better sculptures than starting with concrete. Stewie, Mo, and Tuck were the finest marble, just like the rankings predicted.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Mikayla Vaughn

Blue Star: #15
ESPN: #90
Dan Olson Collegiate Girls Basketball Report: #91
Prospects Nation: #150

**Note that Dan Olson also does the ESPN rankings and has so for the past few years. He recently made a few minor revisions to the Collegiate Girls Basketball Report rankings that he has not made (or ESPN has not requested) to the ESPN rankings.

***Note that I was unable to find/access the ASGR rating, so her ASGR ranking is not included.

Good catch, I could have sworn that she wasn't top 100 with ESPN the last time they did a big update. Anyhow, good to see her ranked.

Bret McCormick was on the "Ladies Night" podcast with occasional Boneyard visitor Coach Bill and described Vaughn as a a "top 50 kid, maybe a little higher" - that's all I know of ASGR's thinking towards her.

Reaction Score

People seem to forget that the 2014 recruiting class was a top recruiting class. Neither Edwards nor Ekmark really panned out, but it was a very strong class.

BlueStar
Williams 6
Edwards 9
Nurse 10
Ekmark 13

ASGR
Williams 2
Edwards 6
Ekmark 8
Nurse 14

PN
Edwards 8
Williams 18
Ekmark 26
Nurse 5 star International (which would put her in the Top 10, as there were only 10 5 Star recruits in the class)

Reaction Score
People seem to forget that the 2014 recruiting class was a top recruiting class. Neither Edwards nor Ekmark really panned out, but it was a very strong class.

BlueStar
Williams 6
Edwards 9
Nurse 10
Ekmark 13

ASGR
Williams 2
Edwards 6
Ekmark 8
Nurse 14

PN
Edwards 8
Williams 18
Ekmark 26
Nurse 5 star International (which would put her in the Top 10, as there were only 10 5 Star recruits in the class)

That seems to prove my point. A class with a handful of "merely" mid-high-end recruits is unlikely to produce a true game-changing player.

In the men's game, there's not a huge dropoff from a top 5-10 recruit to #30. In the women's game, it's enormous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom