ESPN Recruiting Class Rankings (UConn 3rd) | The Boneyard

ESPN Recruiting Class Rankings (UConn 3rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rating 2017 classes at this point is like declaring a winner in the 3rd inning. No one has even signed yet.

Reaction Score
14th, 29th, 37th...................just like their critics always say, UConn dominates in WBB recruiting.......... I would say that UConn has actually not had a truly dominant recruiting class since the big 3 five years ago

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There are still some top recruits left on the board.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Rating 2017 classes at this point is like declaring a winner in the 3rd inning. No one has even signed yet.

Alydar, my response is not intended to be directed specifically at you or disrespectful in any way, but I look at this as the following:
  • More coverage of women's sports, including high school recruiting. Shows the commitment to the game and the sport.
  • Stories for fans link, discuss, debate, disagree, all while generating hits to ESPN, showing interest among readers/viewers, and potentially being used to generate more advertisers for the site and more revenue to pay for content...which could mean more coverage for women's basketball (and women's sports in general).

We so often read about women's sports getting ignore by the media or when they are addressed as the topics of articles/interviews/coverage, they are fluff pieces.

Here is a recruiting rankings list, based on several years of player evaluations, that ESPN is posting. Perhaps people may disagree with the rankings of specific players, but having this type of coverage and showing a slowly increasing commitment to the sport are good things, in my mind.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Louisville has the #1 class, but they have 2 point guards. It will be interesting to see how they work that out. Is one of them a combo guard?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Louisville has the #1 class, but they have 2 point guards. It will be interesting to see how they work that out. Is one of them a combo guard?

One of their evals on Duvall calls her a combo guard.

Reaction Score
14th, 29th, 37th....just like their critics always say, UConn dominates in WBB recruiting..... I would say that UConn has actually not had a truly dominant recruiting class since the big 3 five years ago
Add the 2 bigs waiting and it is #1, with no questions.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Man, they've got 8 guards in total on their roster and one is still a red shirt senior. Maybe the NCAA will allow 2 or 3 balls in play next year.

HGN

Reaction Score
14th, 29th, 37th....just like their critics always say, UConn dominates in WBB recruiting..... I would say that UConn has actually not had a truly dominant recruiting class since the big 3 five years ago
Charlie, though UCONN pulled in the 14th, 29th , and 37th rated players , I think Geno got exactly WHO he wanted. It's not like it was with Stewie, Mo , and Morgan when it was #1 , #2 , and #6. But its WHO Geno targeted and got.

He's proven to me that he knows WBB.

HGN

Reaction Score
2017 Women's Basketball Class Rankings

Excerpt from UConn blurb - "Mikayla Coombs, a 5-foot-10 guard ranked 14th in the class, is electric and athletic. Lexi Gordon, a 5-11 wing ranked 29th, has range to the arc. Andra Espinoza-Hunter, a 5-10 guard ranked 37th, is a versatile threat who loves to get her teammates involved."
Orangutan , where are your Irish in the rankings ? Surely they have some recruits and will certainly jump into the Top 10 if they get Megan Walker. But I felt they should be listed with the current recruits.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Orangutan , where are your Irish in the rankings ? Surely they have some recruits and will certainly jump into the Top 10 if they get Megan Walker. But I felt they should be listed with the current recruits.

They are not ranked. They have just the one recruit so far, Mikayla Vaughn, who is not in ESPN's top 100.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Alydar, my response is not intended to be directed specifically at you or disrespectful in any way, but I look at this as the following:
  • More coverage of women's sports, including high school recruiting. Shows the commitment to the game and the sport.
  • Stories for fans link, discuss, debate, disagree, all while generating hits to ESPN, showing interest among readers/viewers, and potentially being used to generate more advertisers for the site and more revenue to pay for content...which could mean more coverage for women's basketball (and women's sports in general).

We so often read about women's sports getting ignore by the media or when they are addressed as the topics of articles/interviews/coverage, they are fluff pieces.

Here is a recruiting rankings list, based on several years of player evaluations, that ESPN is posting. Perhaps people may disagree with the rankings of specific players, but having this type of coverage and showing a slowly increasing commitment to the sport are good things, in my mind.

Well said.

HGN

Reaction Score
They are not ranked. They have just the one recruit so far, Mikayla Vaughn, who is not in ESPN's top 100.
So ND has 1 recruit and UConn's Big 3 are no longer on campus. Perhaps parity is just around the corner.

Reaction Score
This chart looks as "scientific" to me as one that awarded the most points for players with last names that begin with the lowest letters in the alphabet.

Not only does the success of a recruit depend on position and team fit, but how that particular player develops complimentary skills, takes tough coaching, and handles the stress of being on a top team over four years of maturation.

Everyone thinks: well, 5 years ago Geno got 1, 2 and 6 (and the 6 might have been 1a if not injured) and so that proves that rankings work. But Geno brought that trio into a somewhat depleted group and brought them along, pretty much in tandem. Their dominance had as much to do with situation and coaching as it did with their high school rankings. So, that model was circumstance contingent. When integrating new players into line-ups already rich with top-performing veterans, there are far more variables in trying to predict how a recruiting class will end up being assessed 4 years later, when they finish college.

Attributed to Mark Twain, who in turn attributed it to Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So ND has 1 recruit and UConn's Big 3 are no longer on campus. Perhaps parity is just around the corner.

Perhaps. ND is still in play for Walker, Westbrook, and Patterson, though. So we'll see November 9 how many recruits ND has.

HGN

Reaction Score
Perhaps. ND is still in play for Walker, Westbrook, and Patterson, though. So we'll see November 9 how many recruits ND has.
I think you might get 1 of the 3............But you might luck up and walk away with 2 of the 3. Which might shift the power ND's way for a year or 2.

So I will wait until November 9 to see how many ND luck up on.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Ah...as usual the Little Three will grow Big for UConn

Reaction Score
Man, they've got 8 guards in total on their roster and one is still a red shirt senior. Maybe the NCAA will allow 2 or 3 balls in play next year.
A team never has too many good to great guards or too many talented BIGS or Too many exceptional Wings--ah, heck
They just can't have too many of too many!! Some say Uconn has (waiting in the wings) too many of too many..

Reaction Score
Didn't you hear? Jeff W got special dispensation from the NCAA.....when his team is on offense they are allowed to play with two basketballs......
By Presidential decree-- from past performance--it would appear this may help.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A team never has too many good to great guards or too many talented BIGS or Too many exceptional Wings--ah, heck
They just can't have too many of too many!! Some say Uconn has (waiting in the wings) too many of too many..
A good team needs balance and a championship team has chemistry with that balance. So far Walz's teams have had neither.

Reaction Score
A good team needs balance and a championship team has chemistry with that balance. So far Walz's teams have had neither.
Geno often has an overload of Guards--he personally loves guard play--many of his "plays" offensive or defensive are guard oriented.
Some of his teams in the past lacked height (6'4 or larger) --He has often played a 4 guard offense. I'm not sure what the ratio is between the various positions should be to attain balance. From my view point on the outside looking in--Geno's isn't balanced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom