ESPN Opinion Piece on UConn's Greatness | The Boneyard

ESPN Opinion Piece on UConn's Greatness

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Couple of snippets:

"And through it all, UConn has never ducked the best teams, consistently playing one of the toughest nonconference schedules of anyone. All you can do is beat your competition, and UConn has done that in a historic manner."

"We are seeing one of the most remarkable things in the history of sports. Enjoy it, embrace it and, most of all, celebrate it."

Don't let UCLA Bruins do to Connecticut Huskies what Tiger Woods did to Annika Sorenstam

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The article seems to be much more a tribute piece to Anika Sorenstam than it does to Connecticut WBB.

Reaction Score
The article seems to be much more a tribute piece to Anika Sorenstam than it does to Connecticut WBB.
I think so, too, but that's in the cause of making the UConn streak significant, because it demonstrates what happens if we don't value it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A really interesting comparison to the two recent greats in golf and how Tiger garnered almost all the attention. Though the fact they were happening at the same time adds an interesting twist - so few sports fans really remember the UCLA teams - if you aren't already 50 years old, you probably only know of them as 'legend' and not contemporaneously.

Reaction Score
Well, the guy is a golf writer, after all, so the focus on Sorenstam should not be a surprise. That said, I thought he summed up the issue masterfully.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've said it before, but I liken gender in sports (And especially within a sport ) to weight classes in boxing. In boxing or MMA, a mediocre heavyweight could flatten a great flyweight, but lil' ol' UConn is, pound for pound, as fine a college ball program as you'll see anywhere. And it's played beautifully in terms of cutting, passing, finding the right shooters, and accuracy from distance. it's just not the same game. What's more, I love that UConn plays its own game in a way that inspires so much awe and is so much fun to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom