ESPN: next round (uconn) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN: next round (uconn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A little food for thought for you. Quotes create traditions for programs. The Fighting Irish name is a result of one.

I'll admit, I've barely been to any games, but got to see Indiana in the new stadium's opener and home against Louisville in 2006. I was harassing the Louisville sideline. One player was staring at me for a while.

Reaction Score
Correction, I think it was 2005. What happened to editing?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nobody in the Big10 is going to consider UConn a rival and we're going to get our asses kicked for years in the Big10. Not to mention that Big10 basketball is nearly unbearable to watch. If the Big10 offered, we'd go in a second obviously but the only gain is financially - not to down play but as a fan it doesn't directly affect you or me.

If we go to the ACC, we can step in Day 1 and compete for a conference title, compete with all of our traditional geographic rivals and play in the by far best hoops conference in America. The money would be a little less, but still way bigger than our contract in the Big East.

Spin it however you want, but the only thing good about being stuck in the Big East is going to be our football games with Rutgers and basketball with the catholics.

Reaction Score
Spin it however you want, but the only thing good about being stuck in the Big East is going to be our football games with Rutgers and basketball with the catholics.
College version of the USFL.

Reaction Score
Nobody in the Big10 is going to consider UConn a rival and we're going to get our asses kicked for years in the Big10. Not to mention that Big10 basketball is nearly unbearable to watch. If the Big10 offered, we'd go in a second obviously but the only gain is financially - not to down play but as a fan it doesn't directly affect you or me.

If we go to the ACC, we can step in Day 1 and compete for a conference title, compete with all of our traditional geographic rivals and play in the by far best hoops conference in America. The money would be a little less, but still way bigger than our contract in the Big East.

Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan St., Northwestern, etc., all play in the Big10.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
College version of the USFL.

That's good. The USFL is such a viable, healthy league today. You can tell it's true because they had a 30 for 30 about them, which means they're clearly right there with the NFL.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's a throwaway line and it'll have no impact on anything.

That is my entire point. I said it was nice and should be on posters. But it means nothing.

Reaction Score
That's good. The USFL is such a viable, healthy league today. You can tell it's true because they had a 30 for 30 about them, which means they're clearly right there with the NFL.
If it stayed in the spring, it probably could have survived.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i somewhat agree but its actually interesting to really break it down

compete- we can be in it from day 1 in the acc in fball and bball speaks for itself. other sports like baseball and soccer we become a competitive team but with many tough games. the acc is great for us in all sports. in bball you get to play 2 bluebloods and then cuse. teams like pitt/fsu/uva among others are good also. in the b10 its a uphill climb in fball but were not a bottom feeder either(nw/minn ish). in bball were at the top but there is a blueblood in indiana and quality in msu/mich/tosu among others, not bad by any means in bball. in other sports the b10 is weaker than the acc overall.

$$-the b10 wins everyday of the week

the acc would be a great landing spot for uconn as a whole but if the b10 invited us, there is no way for us not to join imho. just to much potential in that offer.

rival- the acc wins but to be honest we don't have anything really with anyone. rutgers is the best we have. yea getting acrack at bc would be fun but i wouldn't mind passing that up for a crack at psu every year.

stability and bcs dreams/longterm bcs buyin-b10 wins all day

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No . You're point being?

His point being that although the Big Ten certainly has it's challenges, (OSU, Nebraska, etc.), over half of the Big Ten isn't that threatening and that perhaps we wouldn't get our asses kicked for years.

I don't think we'd be duck*ing up Wisconsin for a while, but Minnesota and the like aren't that daunting.

Reaction Score
BYU has a powerhouse TV deal and a huge international market.

BYU is the Rutgers of religion.

BYU is really big in Guam and Fiji. If we add BYU we can unlock that untapped recruiting market.

Reaction Score
this guy thinks the BigTen would take RU or UConn to prevent PennState from being surrounded by the ACC? i hate to say it, but that's an idiotic notion. it's not like this is war, and the BigTen needs supply lines to PSU. they'll take UConn or RU if it'll increase their bottom line and for no other reason. now if they decide adding one or both will increase TV revenues, that's a different matter

If we add UMass then we can execute a double envelopment against BCU. Adding Army would really shore up our interior lines as well.

Reaction Score
Notwithstanding some of the dismissive comments on this thread, the RGIII comment is seen by the UConn marketing and communication folks as a big deal. And Susan Herbst is pushing them to use it. Yes, she called it fabulous.
Contemplate the impact of ads in CT publications and major out of town newspapers ( Boston, NY, Worcester, Prov, etc), press kits to media outlets and social media (Twitter, Facebook, Blogs) to spread the word ---with videos showing his words filling the screen followed by rapid fire shots of the Rent in full manic mode.

Example of an ad:
Did you hear what 2011 Heisman Trophy Winner, Robert Griffin III, said about UConn Football?
Q: ...When you were at Baylor, what was the toughest place for you to play in terms of crowd noise?
A: "...When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play....
Surprised? We're not. Come join the crowd and experience the FRENZY at Rentschler Field this fall.
2012 UConn Football Season Tickets are now on sale at uconnhuskies.com. Or call 860-xxx-"

Bottom line, for lots of smug media types and casual fans, this will be an eye opener. The hope is for a lot of "Really??---Wow!!--- Maybe we should check that place out” responses after seeing it.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, for lots of smug media types and casual fans, this will be an eye opener. The hope is for a lot of "Really??---Wow!!--- Maybe we should check that place out” responses after seeing it.
I think we've been taken into a new stratosphere. Our players do play hard.

As long as he stays out of trouble and succeeds, that quote is gold. Just the way it works. We're here to stay in the BCS world.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan St., Northwestern, etc., all play in the Big10.

It's not obvious? Those teams are not going to steamroll UConn.

Ok, say we split the games vs the above teams. We still have Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State to play. If we're doing 9 conferences games that's leaving us at say 3-6 every season for the near future?

Don't get me wrong - I believe in UConn Football, I truly do. Just know that if we go to the Big10 we are going to take a beating in the short term and as a relatively young program trying to build a fan base, I just don't know if that's really the best way to go about it (as compared to the ACC which we could compete in and play rivals).

The whole point is just for message board banter though. The minute we have an offer from either conference we would accept in a heartbeat. If both conferences offered, UConn would accept the Big10 in a heartbeat as it's a better choice for the institution - not for the sport fan.

Reaction Score
There are reasons to not preference the B10.

This is not one of the reasons. People said the same thing about joining the BE for basketball. You can't shy away from competition.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There are reasons to not preference the B10.

This is not one of the reasons. People said the same thing about joining the BE for basketball. You can't shy away from competition.

I knew someone would bring this up and while I get what you are saying - comparing building a football program to building a basketball program is a whole different ball game.

Reaction Score
Ok, say we split the games vs the above teams. We still have Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State to play. If we're doing 9 conferences games that's leaving us at say 3-6 every season for the near future?

Don't get me wrong - I believe in UConn Football, I truly do. Just know that if we go to the Big10 we are going to take a beating in the short term and as a relatively young program trying to build a fan base, I just don't know if that's really the best way to go about it (as compared to the ACC which we could compete in and play rivals).

The whole point is just for message board banter though. The minute we have an offer from either conference we would accept in a heartbeat. If both conferences offered, UConn would accept the Big10 in a heartbeat as it's a better choice for the institution - not for the sport fan.

Your math is way off. With 14 B12 teams, you don't play each one. They didn't even play each other with 11 teams, never mind 14.Every year, teams missed games against 2 other B10 teams. Come on!!!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Your math is way off. With 14 B12 teams, you don't play each one. They didn't even play each other with 11 teams, never mind 14.Every year, teams missed games against 2 other B10 teams. Come on!!!

If we're doing 9 conferences games that's leaving us at say 3-6 every season for the near future?

What part about 9 conferences game and a record of 3 Wins and 6 losses adds up to 13 games played to you?

Reaction Score
What part about 9 conferences game and a record of 3 Wins and 6 losses adds up to 13 games played to you?

Sigh. You had us playing the top 6 B10 teams each year, for heaven's sake. It doesn't work that way!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom