ESPN: next round (uconn) | The Boneyard

ESPN: next round (uconn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Trade that idea of Rutgers to the Big-10 with UConn & I'm all in. Hockey gets an upgrade & plays Big10 Hockey in the XL. Other sports mesh instantly. Forget about the ACC.

Reaction Score
Trade that idea of Rutgers to the Big-10 with UConn & I'm all in. Hockey gets an upgrade & plays Big10 Hockey in the XL. Other sports mesh instantly. Forget about the ACC.
cap, as my grandmother used to say, From your lips to God's ear...thoug I'd take the ACC if necessary

Reaction Score
this guy thinks the BigTen would take RU or UConn to prevent PennState from being surrounded by the ACC? i hate to say it, but that's an idiotic notion. it's not like this is war, and the BigTen needs supply lines to PSU. they'll take UConn or RU if it'll increase their bottom line and for no other reason. now if they decide adding one or both will increase TV revenues, that's a different matter

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the b10 should take nd/md/uva/unc/ruty and uconn

thats the dream

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
it's not like this is war, and the BigTen needs supply lines to PSU

Apparently, you've never read about "Swofford's March"...

Reaction Score

Playing at the XL is a non-starter. Not for the long-term anyhow.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if fsu and clemson among others pull the trigger on the b12 then uconn is set. gotta pray for that. i still hold out hope that the end game is 4 18 team confs with a playoff for bcs, but thats another story. if the b12 can go get some acc schools like a grab of clem/fsu/gt and lville then uconn is gold. the acc would have to add us, but at that point we sit and wait for the big10 to make its moves. if we get left out of the b10 then we settle for the acc. would that acc be the worst fball conf of the big timers? yea it would, but it would put us with schools we orginally digned up for fball wise plus the smokers road cartel.

fsu/clem hold our future right now, not so much nd.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
if fsu and clemson among others pull the trigger on the b12 then uconn is set. gotta pray for that. i still hold out hope that the end game is 4 18 team confs with a playoff for bcs, but thats another story. if the b12 can go get some acc schools like a grab of clem/fsu/gt and lville then uconn is gold. the acc would have to add us, but at that point we sit and wait for the big10 to make its moves. if we get left out of the b10 then we settle for the acc. would that acc be the worst fball conf of the big timers? yea it would, but it would put us with schools we orginally digned up for fball wise plus the smokers road cartel.

fsu/clem hold our future right now, not so much nd.

I'm not quite as confident in that scenario as you are. I think the problem here is basically - why would the ACC need to go back to 14 teams if they lose CU/FSU? If the reason is to maintain their ESPN contract, then I'd believe it. Otherwise, what's the special attraction to 14? Why not continue with 12 and see what happens? I think the ACC pulled the trigger at 14 because of a few things: 1 - BE was about to cash in, and they did not want that to happen. 2 - They knew that this move would destabilize the BE and formally position them ahead of our conference. 3 - They were promised more money if they did it. But bottom line, is there really incentive for the ACC to add UConn etc to get back to 14? I'm almost more hopeful that ND decides to join and brings us with them - the ACC would go to 16 in a heartbeat for ND/anyone.

Reaction Score
I will make one point that I've made before, and it is pure speculation. ESPN took money from the State of Connecticut and then embarassed the administration by being pointed at by DeFillippo as having screwed UConn. Both the Governor and the AG have been too quiet about it. It may be there is an understanding already in place that, within a short period of time, ESPN is working to fix UConn's problem.

Not saying it happened, but it makes more sense to me than our government just lying down and doing nothing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I will make one point that I've made before, and it is pure speculation. ESPN took money from the State of Connecticut and then embarassed the administration by being pointed at by DeFillippo as having screwed UConn. Both the Governor and the AG have been too quiet about it. It may be there is an understanding already in place that, within a short period of time, ESPN is working to fix UConn's problem.

Not saying it happened, but it makes more sense to me than our government just lying down and doing nothing.

Now, there is some speculation I can get behind.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anybody who imagines GT to the B1G is clearly insane. Had the Big 12 imploded, KU and Mizzou would have been realistic (with K-State the only limiting factor for KU).

I think a playoff produces the opposite result and conferences shrink back to 8 or 10.

Reaction Score

That's been my hope as well.

Reaction Score

I wish, but ESPN is more active trying to find Jimmy Hoffa then finding us a home.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Pretty much what I was thinking as I read the article. ESPN is laying the groundwork for a soft landing for UConn.

Reaction Score
Pretty much what I was thinking as I read the article. ESPN is laying the groundwork for a soft landing for UConn.
They have been pushing it a lot recently. Please let this be the case...

I know many people would prefer the B10. I get it. If they wanted UConn for some reason, you better be damn well sure I would be excited.

I'd still like the ACC best. Rutgers getting the call would make my point better, but ND wouldn't be a problem. They could be in a division with: BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Maryland. Or, the old BE. Regional rivals still matter--or at least they should.

Plus, basketball would be much better.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I know many people would prefer the B10. I get it. If they wanted UConn for some reason, you better be damn well sure I would be excited.

I'd still like the ACC best. Rutgers getting the call would make my point better, but ND wouldn't be a problem. They could be in a division with: BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Maryland. Or, the old BE. Regional rivals still matter--or at least they should.

This. Exactly, this.

Reaction Score
Anyone in the right mind would choose to develop rivalries in the B1G over Big East rivalries in the ACC. We can go with Rutgers into the B1G.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

The way I see it, there are two optimal scenarios for UConn. One is that ND and UConn go to the ACC. This would stabilize the ACC membership across the board - the chances of the SEC poaching a school after that decrease greatly. I am assuming that the addition of ND will result in a significant increase in the TV contract. Two is that we join the B1G with at least 2 other northeastern schools - or Notre Dame and one other school (assuming that the B1G moves to 16, not 14). B1G TV money will be a nice cash infusion for us and we're instantly in an uber-stable conference.

If we go to the ACC with RU instead of ND, there is a greater chance that the ACC loses football schools to the SEC, B1G or even B12 down the road. That would position the ACC as the lowest rung in the BCS totem pole. If we go to the B1G without a few northeast schools in tow, we end up being an outcast with a fanbase that is 900 miles from the epicenter of the conference.

Reaction Score
Anyone in the right mind would choose to develop rivalries in the B1G over Big East rivalries in the ACC. We can go with Rutgers into the B1G.
Penn State's been in the B10 for 20 years and they have no rivals.

I'm a basketball first fan. Games against Syracuse matter. Games against Michigan State or Wisconsin don't.

Don't take it to mean I wouldn't be thrilled to get out of this mess, but B10 isn't happening, and basketball is better in ACC.

Reaction Score

I'm a basketball first fan. Games against Syracuse matter. Games against Michigan State or Wisconsin don't.

Don't take it to mean I wouldn't be thrilled to get out of this mess, but B10 isn't happening, and basketball is better in ACC.
Hmm. Better basketball vs. Big-10 Network $$$$$ & stability so solid that it would clog the NYC subway system?
"SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I agree. I don't like the way the ACC has gone about pillaging the BE. However, the basketball in the ACC is much more compelling. Add in the fact that it would be with some of our best rivals and it's a no brainer.

Reaction Score

We'd have rivalries with Rutgers and Penn State develop, at least, in the B1G. We already have one with Rutgers. Can always play Syracuse or BC OOC. And the football is much better in the B1G. More money made in the B1G. Which would benefit our basketball programs more. As well as the hockey program. And just about everything else. You and I are in no position to say we can't be accepted into the B1G. At this point, anything is possible. Our football program has just become incredibly much more marketable with RGIII's words.

If Maryland is also taken in by the B1G, that's another instant rival. It's funny how people are trying to put small sentiments (BC and Syracuse, big whoop) ahead of more profit and more prestige, which is what would allow us to build our programs even better. Do you see Walmart selling goods made in the US? Give me a break, if we join the ACC, wouldn't the "epicenter" be quite a distance, too? All the way down in North Carolina?

Reaction Score

Michigan State would be a great rivalry in BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69