ESPN, ACC, BE, this guy nails it. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN, ACC, BE, this guy nails it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is what rang the most in my ears...

"There is no doubt the Big East is not the SEC, the Big 12 or the Big Ten. There is also little doubt that the Big East is at the very least – on the field – an equal of the ACC. But ACC football has a spot reserved for them at the Big Boy table, courtesy of ESPN, while the Big East fights for any ounce of respect it can garner."

Reaction Score
I cannot possibly see this more differently than you do. I'll just leave it at that.

Stop paying attention to ESPN as a news source, (because it's not anymore - hasn't been for a long time).......it's pure entertainment now, and highly invested in the success of the entertainment products it's promoting - comedy central daily show has developed into a better news reporting institution.....IMO

and start finding your college football news elsewhere, from people that actually are reporting things as news and you'll begin to see what the landscape is in reality.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know the answer to that. No one who isn't an apologista seems to accept the fact that we were in fact co-champion in '07.

I'll call BS on that. That's a pretty self-serving statement. Apologistas are the only true fans? I'll go the other way, real fans put the program ahead of their man-crushes.

Reaction Score
This is what rang the most in my ears...

"There is no doubt the Big East is not the SEC, the Big 12 or the Big Ten. There is also little doubt that the Big East is at the very least – on the field – an equal of the ACC. But ACC football has a spot reserved for them at the Big Boy table, courtesy of ESPN, while the Big East fights for any ounce of respect it can garner."

Yes...and unfortunately, that has ALWAYS been the case.
Mind you, I'm a Cuse fan and I spent alot of years yelling at my TV whenever a talking head pontificated about the "weak" BE, with barely a mention of the ACC's lackluster performance. Perception is reality in this game, and the general public sees a FSU, VT, Miami, Clemson, et al, and they think "big-time program", regardless of how they've actually performed lately.
With the ESPN scream machine in full throttle, a one-loss FSU will definitely get preference over an undefeated Cincy/USF/RU...selection committee and facts be damned.
The BE has remained too passive, for too long, and just takes the beating with no response. I believe thats entirely due to priorities set by Providence, and this Bailey guy seems cut from the same cloth. Now, it might be too late to change the inevitable.

Reaction Score
Stop paying attention to ESPN as a news source, (because it's not anymore - hasn't been for a long time).......it's pure entertainment now, and highly invested in the success of the entertainment products it's promoting - comedy central daily show has developed into a better news reporting institution.....IMO

and start finding your college football news elsewhere, from people that actually are reporting things as news and you'll begin to see what the landscape is in reality.

Whatever.

The Big East supported the conference champion requirement and opposed the selection committee.

They got screwed on both. Honestly, you are sounding more and more like Baghdad Bob every day.

Reaction Score
Whatever.

The Big East supported the conference champion requirement and opposed the selection committee.

They got screwed on both. Honestly, you are sounding more and more like Baghdad Bob every day.

Can either of you guys provide sources for the above? Carl says "chocolate," Jimmy says "vanilla" Both arguments are significant in terms of possible impact. Yet, we have no basis for consideration of either.

Reaction Score
Can either of you guys provide sources for the above? Carl says "chocolate," Jimmy says "vanilla" Both arguments are significant in terms of possible impact. Yet, we have no basis for consideration of either.

See Bailey's response to this question:

The Big East wanted conference champions to be given preference and was not in favor of a selection committee initially. How do these two pieces impact the league?

JB: The underlying verbiage is still being worked on, but there's no question that everybody recognizes the importance of the regular season, no matter what conference you’re in. The sense in the room was in the best interest of college football, that conference champions should really get a high degree of deference when it comes to that selection. That's in recognition of three, four, five months of achievement. So while the specifics haven't been worked out, we're clearly going to express our opinion to the degree they can to place an emphasis on conference champions.

As far as the committee is concerned, initially the feeling from our coaches was that the rankings would be a little bit better. I don’t think there's any question in anybody’s mind based on all that discussion, the committee takes the human consideration of this thing. That was really important. There wasn't a heck of a lot of discussion beyond the fact that the committee was the way to go.

I see this as "Nope, we didn't get what we wanted, but now I'm in spin mode."

You can decide for yourself.

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...e-changed-his-mind-on-the-selection-committee

"I actually came around on this one. Didn't start there but came around thinking this could be a great benefit for our conference.” - Larry Scott

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...y-talks-college-football-selection-committee/

“The committee is going to evaluate not based on anything other than actual performance itself,” Bailey said. “And if you believe in the concept that the group is smarter than the smartest person in the group then there won’t be one person who influences anybody. The group will end up making the decision. There is an enormous amount of studies on group thinking and how they make the wisest decisions so from my perspective anyway the committee piece plus the concentration by the committee by focusing on the quality of play ends up being a meritocracy so forget perceptions. It’s all about reality and how teams play.”

So no, poll?

“No, polls, no. Well, they’ll [the committee] create a poll themselves so people will know where they stand. When they release it? Who knows. But it will be their evaluations. Now there is strength of schedule there’s no question about that and that will be a factor but conference champions will also be a factor. With the health of college football in general you want to make this as fair and equitable as it can be and at the end it’s a meritocracy. Whoever plays the best gets it.”

So the committee is going to evaluate all the teams, watching a lot of film? How big is this committee going to be?

“Yeah. Well, there was a lot of discussion about how big the committee is going to be. You tell me how big the NCAA basketball committee? Ten or something? The question right now is how big is a bread box? No one knows for sure but the bottom line is it’s going to be sizeable enough so that you’re going to get a variety of evaluators that are going to concentrate – on a week to week basis – on nothing but these teams and they’re not going to let high profile or any of that get in the way of evaluating the quality of play. It’s a really good result when you think about it for a second because whether you’re a coach, player or fan, in the end, you want to earn it, right? That’s the trick – to earn it.”

As for the Big East being opposed to a selection committee initally - not arguing that. I'm saying that the big east was opposed to it, because they weren't in favor of a selection committee - the kind that the likes of the SEC wanted. The selection committee we're going to get, is going to vastly different than any of that. The fact that 12 teams are going to be identified by a selection committee for six bowl games (not just four teams for two) and that the big east has got no reason to think that at least one team a year will be among those twelve? If not more than one? You'll just have to choose to believe me or not on that.

The concept of the contract bowl appearance is a dinosaur as old Neinas on it's way out too. THe orange bowl swinging in the wind with the ACC would be comical, if not so sad for such a great institution that the Orange bowl once was. I'm not even going to make your heads spin on that for now........just wait and see how it shakes out. These contract appearances for conference champions are going to mean very little by 2014, and bowls would rather be able to select who they want, rather than be tied to the #2 team in the ACC......

The way it was before 1991.

Reaction Score
Selection committee, polls.ouija boards, whatever. If the SEC does not have two teams in the final four every third year Slive will carpet bomb the arrangement and start over.

pj

Reaction Score
Given the influence TV networks have on football, I guess I'd ask: when the national championship goes out to bid and one network has it, what's to stop that network from influencing the committee to favor the conferences it broadcasts? If ESPN gets the playoff, wouldn't they want the selection committee to choose teams from conferences to which they own the rights? If they can decide which teams go into which conference, why can't they decide which teams go into the playoff?

Who will be the Gene DiFilippo on the committee who says in public, “ESPN is the one who told us what to do”?

Reaction Score
The SEC was dead set against a conference champion requirement because they expect to have two slots regularly. At the present time in FB the SEC is the "preferred conference" of both CBS and ESPN/ABC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Honestly, I never understood the BE resistance to a selection committee. The Big East WILL LOSE in any selection process that relies on polls, because Cincinnati could be 13-0, and the Big East could be undefeated OOC against the majors, and it would not matter because the polls are so biased against the Big East. A selection committee using objective criteria is a much better solution.

Reaction Score
Do you really think that the Big EAst - basketball? doesn't understand the value of a selection committee? Of course they wanted a selection committee, but they didn't want one that was some kind of bastardaziation / corruption of a process, which it was sure to be, if it was endorsed without in depth discussion firts. Therefore, they were against it, and heavily favored a conference champions model (like the Pac 12)......UNTIL.....those 12 people got into the same room to talk.

After sitting down and talking about the value of it. AS LONG AS IT"S DONE RIGHT.......all things that were discussed in depth around here by th by......It was endorsed, not just by the big east, but by everybody that has to gain from it, except the SEC, ACC, and Big 12.

as for polls - direct quote from Bailey out of the meetings above - polling will NOT be involved in the selection committee process.

Reaction Score
More often than not, the big east will be screwed with the selection committee for the same reasons the big east has been screwed out of a guaranteed BCS bowl. Perception. Who decides the SOS? The polls? Is the Big East going to get a fair shot in the polls? Doubtful, for the forseeable future, BE programs will be starting from a lower position in the polls and therefore be disadvantaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom