ESPN, ACC, BE, this guy nails it. | The Boneyard

ESPN, ACC, BE, this guy nails it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess if you live in DC and are a UConn football season ticket holder , it just makes you smart.

The Big East, in its 2013 state, is a better football league than the ACC. The ACC is 2-13 in BCS bowls. None of its teams have been in the national championship race in November since Florida State in 2000. Even if you include Miami, they haven’t had a team in the national championship race since 2003, and they were playing in the Big East.
The 2013 version of the Big East will have 4 teams since 2006 that entered November undefeated with national championship aspirations – Rutgers & Louisville in 2006, Cincinnati in 2009 and Boise State several times.

http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2012/...howComment=1341930947371#c6704308684156519390

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That new tv contract can't get done quickly enough! We need to have a media outlet that will actually talk about our value. And I am more than disappointed that ESPN has been killing off the Big East for almost a year now (although when I say it, I get killed by some Boneyarders who think I need aluminum foil on my head). It's their way of saying, "Thanks for the money, Malloy!"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Didn't like the shot at the head coach, though.

Reaction Score
Nice. Keep spreading the word. Fill the sails. This has to be grass roots to go with the conference lead. It's nice that Bailey is out there saying what he's saying, but unfortunately, from reading forums like the BY after yesterday - he's got to simplify his vocabulary a bit, or simply dive down to the grade school mud-slinging level of the media, for the so-called average fans to get it.

In that CFL interview yesterday, Tessitore baited him with teh "big 5" with the interview skills of a 4th grader, and Bailey dumped all over him, politely, cleanly, and unequivocally, with the skills of a guy that's been answering questions in the media for decades.

It's a media concoction term, that means nothing, and will mean nothing as soon as the games start being played again. The selection committee for the post season, and it will be done right, is going to determine that the best programs in teh country, get into the playoff.

There is absolutely no reason, to think, that a big east champion, ranked in the top 10 in the country, won't be in a playoff. There's no reason to think that current and future Big east members will not have desireable bowl destinations and invites. We're actually losing two of our worst traveling and ticket selling programs, and gaining several that will have follwoings.

No reason to think any of that....Unless you're a sheep that follows ESPN propoganda.

THe big east conference - when it comes to football - has a perception problem. It's the conference's own fault for letting it get to this point. It will get fixed, and negotiations start in a matter of weeks.

Reaction Score
Nice. Keep spreading the word. Fill the sails. This has to be grass roots to go with the conference lead. It's nice that Bailey is out there saying what he's saying, but unfortunately, from reading forums like the BY after yesterday - he's got to simplify his vocabulary a bit, or simply dive down to the grade school mud-slinging level of the media, for the so-called average fans to get it.

In that CFL interview yesterday, Tessitore baited him with teh "big 5" with the interview skills of a 4th grader, and Bailey dumped all over him, politely, cleanly, and unequivocally, with the skills of a guy that's been answering questions in the media for decades.

It's a media concoction term, that means nothing, and will mean nothing as soon as the games start being played again. The selection committee for the post season, and it will be done right, is going to determine that the best programs in teh country, get into the playoff.

There is absolutely no reason, to think, that a big east champion, ranked in the top 10 in the country, won't be in a playoff. There's no reason to think that current and future Big east members will not have desireable bowl destinations and invites. We're actually losing two of our worst traveling and ticket selling programs, and gaining several that will have follwoings.

No reason to think any of that....Unless you're a sheep that follows ESPN propoganda.

THe big east conference - when it comes to football - has a perception problem. It's the conference's own fault for letting it get to this point. It will get fixed, and negotiations start in a matter of weeks.

Your post is an indictament of Marinatto, who you loyally supported and praised. Bailey, from what I've seen.....unimpressive.

And if you think that a #8 ranked Big East champion is going to be selected for the 4 team playoff.....well, I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
Well, we know one thing. the author wasn't the Big East Commissioner.

Bingo.
The problem with the BE has always emanated from Providence. On CFB Live yesterday, the new guy (same as the old guy) from PC sounded as impotent, weak, and ineffectual as Marinnato ever did.
As a BE fan all these years, I'd bang my head in frustration at the lack of moxie, of gumption, of outright FIGHT that the BE offices displayed towards the football conference. That trend continues unabated.
Blame ESPN all you want, but how about a presser, or a statement from the BE commish's office, or a print interview that clearly states the BE's case for inclusion at the big boy table? How about pulling an Ali and calling out the record of the ACC vs BE- challenge the ACC to a conference battle to be played annually? Something....anything?
The BE has ALWAYS been a reactive conference, they never initiate anything and always let others lead the narrative. If they're not willing to stand up for themselves, then ESPN and everyone else will continue to keep hitting them. Just business.

Reaction Score
Your post is an indictament of Marinatto, who you loyally supported and praised. Bailey, from what I've seen.....unimpressive.

And if you think that a #8 ranked Big East champion is going to be selected for the 4 team playoff.....well, I don't know what to tell you.

Tranghese is the guy that drove this ship into the ground, not Marinatto. Marinatto did everything he could to rebuild it, and took it as far as he's capable. We need a Joe Baily that's 30 years his minor. Bailey is a guy that is used to dealing with actual media people, and high end business people, not a propoganda machine with gossip columnists like ESPN. He's got to adjust his style a bit to reach the people that follow what espn says blindly.

As for a big east champ making a playoff? Meritocracy is the word that Bailey has introduced, that I'm sure was a big part of the discussions among conference commissioners in june. It's a perfect way to describe what's going to happen with a selection committee operating independantly and actually watching games starting in week 1, and why a big east champion with a 10+ or even a 9 win season would be in the playoff without a doubt.

Unfortunately, it's a word that is being poorly understood by the masses. I find it odd, because for how long? have big east fans been talking about how competitive the league has been, is, and how hard our schedules are every year, (except for rutgers) regardless of who's actually been in the league. Te competition level still remains top notch, and is not going to change.

I guess it speaks to the depths that the espn propoganda machine can go, and the damage to the league perception and publicity that was done under Tranghese' management.

Reaction Score
Bingo.
The problem with the BE has always emanated from Providence. On CFB Live yesterday, the new guy (same as the old guy) from PC sounded as impotent, weak, and ineffectual as Marinnato ever did.
As a BE fan all these years, I'd bang my head in frustration at the lack of moxie, of gumption, of outright FIGHT that the BE offices displayed towards the football conference. That trend continues unabated.
Blame ESPN all you want, but how about a presser, or a statement from the BE commish's office, or a print interview that clearly states the BE's case for inclusion at the big boy table? How about pulling an Ali and calling out the record of the ACC vs BE- challenge the ACC to a conference battle to be played annually? Something....anything?
The BE has ALWAYS been a reactive conference, they never initiate anything and always let others lead the narrative. If they're not willing to stand up for themselves, then ESPN and everyone else will continue to keep hitting them. Just business.

Unbelievable. Go listen to the interview again. IN less than 3 minutes, Bailey takes an elementary school argument technique presented by the ESPN interviewer to bait him and politely craps all over ihim.

It's pretty clear that his vocabulary and thought processes are not being understood, and that's a communication problem that he'll have to address by changing his own vocabulary and approach. Not hard to fix.

I'd rather have the problem with perception that the big east has right now, going into a selection committee process for the post season, than the ACC has. The acc has all the publicity right now, but no substance. The big east has the substance but no publicity power. In a selection committee process, that publicity problem, gets corrected quick.

Big 5? nonsense. The division of revenue in the post season is the key, and there's no reason to think that the big east is not going to continue to get our share.

Reaction Score
Apologies for focusing on a negative, but this caught my attention.

"Syracuse and Pittsburgh leaving was supposedly the death knell to football – even though the pair has combined for a grand total of 1 Big East title in the past 13 years, the exact same total UConn has."

Wouldn't a UConn season ticket holder know we have 2 Big East titles? (this may be the wrong board to ask that question for reasons that should be obvious)

Reaction Score

"Syracuse and Pittsburgh leaving was supposedly the death knell to football – even though the pair has combined for a grand total of 1 Big East title in the past 13 years, the exact same total UConn has."

Wouldn't a UConn season ticket holder know we have 2 Big East titles? (this may be the wrong board to ask that question for reasons that should be obvious)

I thought the same thing, but then thought he meant to say BCS bowl appearances. Because Pitt shared 2 titles as well (2004 & 2010). Pitt got hammered by Utah in the Fiesta in 2004. Poor choice of words.

Reaction Score
I'm not wasting any more time on this. Time will tell as to the true value, strenght, and influence of big east conference. No use discussing anymore for me. I'd rather talk football. Season is almost here.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Carl: it is not nearly as clear that this will work o.k. as you make it. You are acting as if the fact that selection committees work in every other NCAA sport mean something, when they don't because this process, to our knowledge, will not be run by the NCAA.

We do not know enough right now to think this will or won't work fairly. We're unfortunately going to have to wait and see. It might work fairly. But the fact that the NCAA can do this fairly in soccer and baseball and lacrosse and hoops does not mean that the conference commissioners will choose to do it fairly here. It just doesn't.

Reaction Score
Bingo.

Why not do that? How about because it is the big boys, and not the media, that have their hands around our balls? You can win the media battle and lose this war, because the power rests now in the major conference commissioners.

Reaction Score

You know the answer to that. No one who isn't an apologista seems to accept the fact that we were in fact co-champion in '07.

Reaction Score
Tranghese is the guy that drove this ship into the ground, not Marinatto. Marinatto did everything he could to rebuild it, and took it as far as he's capable. We need a Joe Baily that's 30 years his minor. Bailey is a guy that is used to dealing with actual media people, and high end business people, not a propoganda machine with gossip columnists like ESPN. He's got to adjust his style a bit to reach the people that follow what espn says blindly.

As for a big east champ making a playoff? Meritocracy is the word that Bailey has introduced, that I'm sure was a big part of the discussions among conference commissioners in june. It's a perfect way to describe what's going to happen with a selection committee operating independently and actually watching games starting in week 1, and why a big east champion with 10+ or even a 9 win season would be in a playoff "WITHOUT A DOUBT".

Unfortunately, it's a word that is being poorly understood by the masses. I find it odd, because for how long? have big east fans been talking about how competitive the league has been, is, and how hard our schedules are every year, (except for rutgers) regardless of who's actually been in the league. Te competition level still remains top notch, and is not going to change.

I guess it speaks to the depths that the espn propoganda machine can go, and the damage to the league perception and publicity that was done under Tranghese' management.

All due respect, but you can't possibly be serious with this statement.
You really believe that moving forward its all gonna be based on "meritocracy"....as determined by a crack "selection committee" that treats every worthy participant in the same manner? Really?
I don't know if this is attempted sarcasm or if you honestly believe this fantasy. SMDH

Reaction Score
I guess if you live in DC and are a UConn football season ticket holder , it just makes you smart.

The Big East, in its 2013 state, is a better football league than the ACC. The ACC is 2-13 in BCS bowls. None of its teams have been in the national championship race in November since Florida State in 2000. Even if you include Miami, they haven’t had a team in the national championship race since 2003, and they were playing in the Big East.
The 2013 version of the Big East will have 4 teams since 2006 that entered November undefeated with national championship aspirations – Rutgers & Louisville in 2006, Cincinnati in 2009 and Boise State several times.

http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2012/...howComment=1341930947371#c6704308684156519390

Maybe one of the lawyers will remember when some of what used to be called the "big eight" Accounting firms went in to the consulting business; most notably end-to-end IP stuff. That type of consulting requires a sales force; in some cases a sales force that went absolutely bat-crap when an audit of a large corporation raised questions about the company's value. As a result of sales pressure, some accounting firms slackened their audit requirements in order to maintain a friendly sales environment. In some cases, "Annual Reports" contained B.S. That type of cross-pollination is now illegal, but in the interim, a number of stock holders and institutions were compromised because of pumped-up value.

What's the difference?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
All due respect, but you can't possibly be serious with this statement.
You really believe that moving forward its all gonna be based on "meritocracy"....as determined by a crack "selection committee" that treats every worthy participant in the same manner? Really?
I don't know if this is attempted sarcasm or if you honestly believe this fantasy. SMDH

Couldn't agree more with you. Meritocracy my @$$. It is all about name brand and even an undefeated BE team will need help getting into the playoffs over a one loss SEC team.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Carl: it is not nearly as clear that this will work o.k. as you make it. You are acting as if the fact that selection committees work in every other NCAA sport mean something, when they don't because this process, to our knowledge, will not be run by the NCAA.

We do not know enough right now to think this will or won't work fairly. We're unfortunately going to have to wait and see. It might work fairly. But the fact that the NCAA can do this fairly in soccer and baseball and lacrosse and hoops does not mean that the conference commissioners will choose to do it fairly here. It just doesn't.

The conference commissioners are not in charge of this BL. THe conference commissioners were in charge of handing over a proposal to the BCS presidents committee. THat proposal included a selection committee for three games (four teams) two semi's to be held within the current bowl system, and a championship game to the highest bidder/locale.

That selection committee is to consist of a large number of people, that will be required to watch games - all the games - starting in week 1, and heavily weigh two things - conference champion status and strength of schedule.

That's what we know.

As for the rest, I"ve told you before about things I'm sure about. I'm sure that this selection committee process is going to benefit the Big East. Boise State is already calling the 2013 schedule they've got lined up the most difficult they've had in their entire football history.

TIme will tell BL. I'd think you'd have learned by now ;-)

Reaction Score
The conference commissioners are not in charge of this BL. THe conference commissioners were in charge of handing over a proposal to the BCS presidents committee. THat proposal included a selection committee for three games (four teams) two semi's to be held within the current bowl system, and a championship game to the highest bidder/locale.

That selection committee is to consist of a large number of people, that will be required to watch games - all the games - starting in week 1, and heavily weigh two things - conference champion status and strength of schedule.

That's what we know.

As for the rest, I"ve told you before about things I'm sure about. I'm sure that this selection committee process is going to benefit the Big East. Boise State is already calling the 2013 schedule they've got lined up the most difficult they've had in their entire football history.

TIme will tell BL. I'd think you'd have learned by now ;-)

Did you read what I wrote? I said that time will tell. But you stating now that "time will tell" and stating earlier that this would work for us are very different statements.

Reaction Score
All ACC schools are of the old guard. The Big East has some schools that are of the new guard, including us. We are representing the changes that go on in the college scene. The SEC can't be #1 forever. Alabama (and Vanderbilt) made the SEC. We'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Did you read what I wrote? I said that time will tell. But you stating now that "time will tell" and stating earlier that this would work for us are very different statements.

Are you cross examining me?

I'll put this simply. The Big EAst conference leadership was against a selection committee entirely, unless it would be done right - for the exact reasons you state BL. No coaches polls, no media, no crap - just people watching the games and actually grading teams. Big East didn't want a selection committee, unless it would be done right (in that case - done right, a selection committee would be beneficial.) The big east conference was very much in favor a conference champions model. There were 12 people involved representing their organizations/institution. The selection committee concept was approved, when Larry Scott, after listening to people with experience in committee decision making, in actually doing things like basketball selection committees... - in meetings - was swayed to favoring a committee, for the exact same reasons that the Big East (and any other conference not named SEC, ACC or Big 12) would want a committee - because strength of schedule, compeition on the field, and quality of play and winning your conference - need to matter more than unfounded public perception, and they will matter in the selection process).

You seem to think that becase the NCAA as a governing strucutre not formally involved is a problem. I think it's blessing in disguise not to have the NCAA hanging over this committee, b/c it will be driven by people that will have to answer questions.

THere are 121 division 1-A institutions, represented in 11 conferences and independants, and every vote of those 12 counted the same, and 7>5. Iv'e been saying that for a long time. It appears the vote on this actually went 9-3.

THe conferences that stand to lose on the selection process are the SEC, Big 12 and ACC. Every other conference gains. Because of scheduling, and strength of schedule .

After that - it was university presidents, a committee I listed here on this site, that also works on majority rule, that determined it would be a go, and they will be in charge of putting it into action. Those university presidents will have to answer for their actions to a more powerful force than the NCAA.

Their own alumni and fans.

Reaction Score
Are you cross examining me?

I'll put this simply. The Big EAst conference leadership was against a selection committee entirely, unless it would be done right - for the exact reasons you state BL. No coaches polls, no media, no crap - just people watching the games and actually grading teams. Big East didn't want a selection committee, unless it would be done right (in that case - done right, a selection committee would be beneficial.) The big east conference was very much in favor a conference champions model. There were 12 people involved representing their organizations/institution. The selection committee concept was approved, when Larry Scott, after listening to people with experience in committee decision making, in actually doing things like basketball selection committees... - in meetings - was swayed to favoring a committee, for the exact same reasons that the Big East (and any other conference not named SEC, ACC or Big 12) would want a committee - because strength of schedule, compeition on the field, and quality of play and winning your conference - need to matter more than unfounded public perception, and they will matter in the selection process).

You seem to think that becase the NCAA as a governing strucutre not formally involved is a problem. I think it's blessing in disguise not to have the NCAA hanging over this committee, b/c it will be driven by people that will have to answer questions.

THere are 121 division 1-A institutions, represented in 11 conferences and independants, and every vote of those 12 counted the same, and 7>5. Iv'e been saying that for a long time. It appears the vote on this actually went 9-3.

THe conferences that stand to lose on the selection process are the SEC, Big 12 and ACC. Every other conference gains. Because of scheduling, and strength of schedule .

After that - it was university presidents, a committee I listed here on this site, that also works on majority rule, that determined it would be a go, and they will be in charge of putting it into action. Those university presidents will have to answer for their actions to a more powerful force than the NCAA.

Their own alumni and fans.

I cannot possibly see this more differently than you do. I'll just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom