Esoteric info on a couple of the new recruits. | The Boneyard

Esoteric info on a couple of the new recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I knew Gabby was an elite high jumper, but didn't know she was also a sprinter. She ran the 300 meter hurdles and 4x400 relay. I think she can survive Geno's practices. :)

So at each meet, she competed in the high jump, 100 hurdles, 300 hurdles, 4x100, 4x200, and 4x400. Any questions about her fitness level??

Our last high jumper is now an All-World player. (Hint: See my avatar.)

By the way, the anchor in the 4x400, Adriana Newell, is also quite the athlete. She got a track scholarship to Kansas:

http://www.kuathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5591&path=wtrack

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And Napheesa ran the 3rd and anchor leg (at separate meets) in the 4x400 as a frosh. Her team was 4th in the state.

We are seeing a new breed of hoopsters--kids who are uber-athletic and stars at other sports. They are running faster and jumping higher than ever.

Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
I knew Gabby was an elite high jumper, but didn't know she was also a sprinter. She ran the 300 meter hurdles and 4x400 relay. I think she can survive Geno's practices. :)

So at each meet, she competed in the high jump, 100 hurdles, 300 hurdles, 4x100, 4x200, and 4x400. Any questions about her fitness level??

By the way, the anchor in the 4x400, Adriana Newell, is also quite the athlete. She got a track scholarship to Kansas:

A girl after my own heart. As a former sprinter I had a love/hate relationship with the 4 X 440 (yards-yes, I am dating myself). I ran the first leg always due to my lightning quick starts. It was exhilarating to run at top speed - until that final 110 when my lungs burned and calves and thighs felt like jello. While I always said it was my least favorite relay, looking back it was my favorite.

High jump and hurdles? Um no. Not a fan and was no good at it at all. My hs track coach could tell you just how bad I was at hurdles. I couldn't even gracefully walk over them without falling let alone leaping over them at top speed and full stride. I was either flat out top speed or I didn't do it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A girl after my own heart. As a former sprinter I had a love/hate relationship with the 4 X 440 (yards-yes, I am dating myself). I ran the first leg always due to my lightning quick starts. It was exhilarating to run at top speed - until that final 110 when my lungs burned and calves and thighs felt like jello. While I always said it was my least favorite relay, looking back it was my favorite.

High jump and hurdles? Um no. Not a fan and was no good at it at all. My hs track coach could tell you just how bad I was at hurdles. I couldn't even gracefully walk over them without falling let alone leaping over them at top speed and full stride. I was either flat out top speed or I didn't do it.
Chapette, I bet you wore golden spikes, just like Michael Johnson. :)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's actually an OLD school kind of athlete...these days there's a huge push to make athletes single sport kids -- at a cost to other sports AND, I'm guessing, natural cross training and skill building...

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Napheesa... ran the 3rd and anchor leg (at separate meets) in the 4x400 as a frosh.
Gabby... at each meet, she competed in the high jump, 100 hurdles, 300 hurdles, 4x100, 4x200, and 4x400.
Any questions...??
jaw-drop.jpg

Last edited:

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Lets hope there knee's can handle all this activity.

Reaction Score

I ran the intermediate hurdles in HS, (jack of all trades, master of none!) and the hurdles all got taller the farther along I got in the race!

Reaction Score

As I have mentioned numerous times before on this forum.....Gabby is a Very Very special basketball player and athlete. By far better at basketball than track!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm eager to see Gabby play. I sure hope she can get back to 100%. My impression is that her game is a lot like Nykesha's.

I have to wonder if Moriah competed in track. She's the fastest player I saw this year other than John Wall.

Reaction Score
I'm eager to see Gabby play. I sure hope she can get back to 100%. My impression is that her game is a lot like Nykesha's.

I have to wonder if Moriah competed in track. She's the fastest player I saw this year other than John Wall.
Milford..Check out the Reed vs Reno Championship game on U-Tube...But,remember she is only a Soph., and so young to control a state championship game.She scores 30+ of Reeds 50 points.With great coaching she will be very special..dribbles down court like she has springs in her feet.But during this game never takes advantage of her jumping ability??,easy to see coaching is missing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom