EPL Relegation | The Boneyard

EPL Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's truly a shame that American professional sports leagues don't have relegation.

The NBA and MLB would be 1000000x better if it existed.

Lament over: I don't dislike Sunderland but it would be tremendous if Burnley could find their way past them. It's too bad Leicester is dead in the water, they are likable.

As a casual observer it seems strange to me that QPR can't
put together a team that sticks in the EPL.

Reaction Score
I agree. The action at the bottom is so much more interesting than watching Chelsea limp to the title or seeing if Arsenal can catch Man City. Relegation is really interesting. Here we reward bad teams with top draft picks everywhere else you get sent down.[

This week: Sunderland and Newcastle could be good.

West Brom lost to QPR last time, that could be interesting.

Burnley will have their hands full with Spurs.

QUOTE="whaler11, post: 1282938, member: 676"]It's truly a shame that American professional sports leagues don't have relegation.

The NBA and MLB would be 1000000x better if it existed.

Lament over: I don't dislike Sunderland but it would be tremendous if Burnley could find their way past them. It's too bad Leicester is dead in the water, they are likable.

As a casual observer it seems strange to me that QPR can't
put together a team that sticks in the EPL.[/QUOTE]

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Agree 100% on Burnley. For some reason I just find Sunderland extremely unlikable. I'd gladly wave goodbye to them and QPR. I hope at least one of the three newly promoted teams hold on. Out of the 3, Burnley seems to really have the only shot.

Agree also on the loss on why QPR can't stay up yet a team like Hull is going on two years and almost definitely a third.

I also think that the whole promotion thing makes the lower leagues more interesting as well! I love looking at who's coming up not only to the Prem but up to another level as well. Also think it's interesting to see those teams that free fall. Wolverhamton comes to mind with this. They went from the Premier League down two flights to League 1 in 2 seasons. It's rather fascinating how teams move around and some bounce back immediately.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% on Burnley. For some reason I just find Sunderland extremely unlikable. I'd gladly wave goodbye to them and QPR. I hope at least one of the three newly promoted teams hold on. Out of the 3, Burnley seems to really have the only shot.

Agree also on the loss on why QPR can't stay up yet a team like Hull is going on two years and almost definitely a third.

I also think that the whole promotion thing makes the lower leagues more interesting as well! I love looking at who's coming up not only to the Prem but up to another level as well. Also think it's interesting to see those teams that free fall. Wolverhamton comes to mind with this. They went from the Premier League down two flights to League 1 in 2 seasons. It's rather fascinating how teams move around and some bounce back immediately.

A few weeks ago the Championship had 4 teams tied for 1st place at 69 points. What are the odds?

Reaction Score
And ... then listen to your English friends on the Premier League ramifications as to the Money involved at playing the various levels. Direct ties to what happens. (and the real fan watches this with intensity)

So ... I love the business franchise piece of this better than our leagues too.

Reaction Score
Agreed on Burnley, and also wished Leicester had kept their early season form. They were an exciting team to watch the first quarter of the season, then it all seemed to go to . QPR can remain down as far as I'm concerned. Would rather see Fulham get it back together and be promoted rather than QPR stay up

If relegation existed in American sports (I wish it did), it would create even greater interest and intensity. This year the Knicks, Lakers, and Sixers would all be in danger of relegation. Think that would spark more interest in the NBA? I do. In the NFL the Bucs and Titans would have been relegated, and the Raiders-Jags would have had a relegation playoff game to see who stayed up. It will never happen, but fun to speculate.

Reaction Score

When it comes to taking the Regulation express elevator up and then down, look up Portsmouth Football Club over the last 8 years or so. Still amazes me that after everything that has happened to them, they still get +10K season ticket holders.

Reaction Score
And ... then listen to your English friends on the Premier League ramifications as to the Money involved at playing the various levels. Direct ties to what happens. (and the real fan watches this with intensity)

So ... I love the business franchise piece of this better than our leagues too.

Plus, getting relegated can be a pretty sweet deal. Right clubs relegated from the Premiership get about 30 million pounds a year for three years in parachute payments. That will probably increase with the new TV deals.

For perspective, clubs like Sunderland and West Brom will get more TV revenue than AC Milan or PSG. I think that this summer's transfer window will see the Premier League Hoovering much of the best talent in Europe. With this increase in revenue Financial Fair Play will only help the EPL.

Reaction Score
When it comes to taking the Regulation express elevator up and then down, look up Portsmouth Football Club over the last 8 years or so. Still amazes me that after everything that has happened to them, they still get +10K season ticket holders.

Didn't they make a series of really stupid financial decisions which led to that?

Southampton has a similar story and they are pretty good example of a club doing things the right way.

Reaction Score
Didn't they make a series of really stupid financial decisions which led to that?

Southampton has a similar story and they are pretty good example of a club doing things the right way.
Yes, Portsmouth had major financial issues back around '09-'10 up until a year ago. In '08 they were competing in UEFA Cup and playing on par with the likes of AC Milan, Man U, Chelsea, etc... Redknap was there manager, and ultimately left to join Spurs. A year later they didn't have the funds to pay staff/players on time, and ended up in Financal Administration where they got docked 9 points, were not allowed to transfer in new players untl they got out of administration. Ultimatley (b/c of the 9 point penalty) they eneded up relegated in '10. Same thing happened a couple years later in League Championship where they were docked 10 points b/c of financial issues, which all but guaranteed their relegation to League 1. They are now League 2. They still have a very strong and loyal local following though. The club is owned by a group of fans who organized a trust. They just became debt free last year. Quite the journey over the past 6 seasons. Curious to see how they rebound/promote now it seems their finances are relatively in order.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Yeah Portsmouth is the poster child for free falling. This is from wikipedia but gives a good run down on how to torpedo a club. Granted there were other things like financial reasons that led to their demise but it is still amazing to see how a club can fall so rapidly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_F.C.#2009.E2.80.932013:_Administration_and_three_relegations

Reaction Score
Burnley helped themselves a little bit today w/ the draw, although they should have gotten 3 points in a match that rivaled paint drying.

Bottom 3 is getting more and more interesting. QPR with a huge win over WBA, Burnley's point, and Leicester hosts City tomorrow. I thnk Leicester is a lock to go down. QPR, Burnley, Sunderland, Villa and Hull are all in the conversation for the other 2 sides.

The top 4 is pretty much locked after this weekends results, barring a huge and very unlikely meltdown by one of City, United, or Arsenal. Now it's a 3 team battle for spots 2&3 to avoid the 4th place finishers UCL Play-In games.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
If Sunderland hadn't won today I believe Burnley would be above them on Goal Differential. I looked quickly and I think Burnley is at 26 points and Sunderland got 3 today from the win against Newcastle to get to 29.

The top 4 bore me. I really am tired of seeing the same 4 teams at the top. It's kind of like when the Yankees and Red Sox kept battling it out every year for the AL East. It was really boring (I'm neither a Yankee or Red Sox fan clearly). I know that those 4 at the top are the most popular globally but I wonder if interest would increase even more if the top 4 varied. Probably not because it seems to be the same across all leagues. Barca and Real are always at the top in Spain, Bayern rules the Bundasliga, not sure about France.

It's why relegation is interesting. It gives something to pay attention too when it's clear that everyone else is just playing to finish the year out, minus the Top 4 who are pretty much locked in for UCL but playing for that top 3 order.

Reaction Score
Sunderland was tied on points w/ Burnely, and had 2 goals favorability to them before the match/win over Newcastle, so it would've depended on the final score (had they lost). If you didn't see it, check out Defoe's goal for Sunderland,, it was a pretty great volley.

Reaction Score
The top 4 bore me. I really am tired of seeing the same 4 teams at the top. It's kind of like when the Yankees and Red Sox kept battling it out every year for the AL East. It was really boring (I'm neither a Yankee or Red Sox fan clearly). I know that those 4 at the top are the most popular globally but I wonder if interest would increase even more if the top 4 varied. Probably not because it seems to be the same across all leagues. Barca and Real are always at the top in Spain, Bayern rules the Bundasliga, not sure about France.

France's Ligue 1 has been dominated by Paris Saint-Germain, Olympique Lyonnais, and Olympique de Marseille over the last 2 decades or so, at least publicity wise. That makes sense as the three represent France's 3 largest cities - Paris, Lyon, and Marseille respectively. This has not always translated into the standings though as Marseille was rocked by scandal in the 90's that was so bad that Marseille was knocked back all they way to the second division for a while. PSG around the same time just had poor management and were miserable on the pitch for a while until very recently when Qatar poured some good, old fashion oil money into them starting in 2011. Thus, Lyon (which is my French team as I have seen a pair of their matches) have been the most consistent at staying at the top of Ligue 1 over the last 2 decades with periodic runs made by Nantes, AS Monaco. Saint-Étienne, which is located near Lyon, has the most titles; but, none since the early 80's.

Reaction Score
What on earth is going on at City? Losing 2-1 at Palace, now in the 4th spot with Liverpool and Spurs 7 points behind. Still a pretty solid hold on 4th place, but....
City remaining schedule is @United, West Ham, Villa, @Spurs, QPR, @Swansea, and Southampton
Liverpool remaining schedule is Newcastle, @Hull, @WBA, QPR, @Chelsea,
Palace, and @Stoke
Spurs remaining schedule is Villa, @Newcastle, @Southampton, City, @Stoke, Hull, @Everton... damn you Spurs for not getting 3 points yesterday.

Reaction Score
What on earth is going on at City? Losing 2-1 at Palace, now in the 4th spot with Liverpool and Spurs 7 points behind. Still a pretty solid hold on 4th place, but....
City remaining schedule is @United, West Ham, Villa, @Spurs, QPR, @Swansea, and Southampton
Palace, and @Stoke
Spurs remaining schedule is Villa, @Newcastle, @Southampton, City, @Stoke, Hull, @Everton... damn you Spurs for not getting 3 points yesterday.

Bad karma most likely.

Reaction Score
Palace, and @Stoke

Gunners have a somewhat favorable schedule remaining. The big match will likely be Man U as I do not think they can catch Chelsea. Hopefully can also bring home some silverware, too - the FA Cup. Fingers crossed for Champions League next year, just hope they remember to show up next year should they make it.
  1. @ Burnley (#18)
  2. Reading (FA Cup)
  3. v. Chelsea (#1)
  4. @ Hull City (#16)
  5. v. Swansea City (#8)
  6. @ Man U (#3)
  7. v. Sunderland (#15)
  8. V. WBA (#14)
  9. FA Cup TBA

Reaction Score
France's Ligue 1 has been dominated by Paris Saint-Germain, Olympique Lyonnais, and Olympique de Marseille over the last 2 decades or so, at least publicity wise. That makes sense as the three represent France's 3 largest cities - Paris, Lyon, and Marseille respectively. This has not always translated into the standings though as Marseille was rocked by scandal in the 90's that was so bad that Marseille was knocked back all they way to the second division for a while. PSG around the same time just had poor management and were miserable on the pitch for a while until very recently when Qatar poured some good, old fashion oil money into them starting in 2011. Thus, Lyon (which is my French team as I have seen a pair of their matches) have been the most consistent at staying at the top of Ligue 1 over the last 2 decades with periodic runs made by Nantes, AS Monaco. Saint-Étienne, which is located near Lyon, has the most titles; but, none since the early 80's.

PS - France' Ligue 1 has its on version of Portsmouth - Grenoble Foot 38. Lived in that city for a semester; but, Grenoble's pitch in the early 90's was a dump (since revamped and used for Rugby) and thus went to Lyon matches for the experience. Eventually, they got some big money and built Stade des Alpes, which is a nice 20K stadium in a beautiful setting. That allowed them to get to Ligue 1 for 1 season. That was literally it. They got regulated the following season and since the new owners mortgaged everything for the new stadium, the decline in ticket sales associated with regulation forced them into bankruptcy. Today, they are still stuck in the 4th tier of French soccer. Yikes.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
PS - France' Ligue 1 has its on version of Portsmouth - Grenoble Foot 38. Lived in that city for a semester; but, Grenoble's pitch in the early 90's was a dump (since revamped and used for Rugby) and thus went to Lyon matches for the experience. Eventually, they got some big money and built Stade des Alpes, which is a nice 20K stadium in a beautiful setting. That allowed them to get to Ligue 1 for 1 season. That was literally it. They got regulated the following season and since the new owners mortgaged everything for the new stadium, the decline in ticket sales associated with regulation forced them into bankruptcy. Today, they are still stuck in the 4th tier of French soccer. Yikes.
Do they play in their 20K stadium still? That's insane!

Reaction Score
Do they play in their 20K stadium still? That's insane!

Yep, attendance is so-so., looks to be about 5 to 6K a game, higher when they play one of the Ligue 1 reserve teams who play in the ACS, which is a step above amateur (barely). Still, heck of a view for a game.

stade des alpes.jpg

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Yep, attendance is so-so., looks to be about 5 to 6K a game, higher when they play one of the Ligue 1 reserve teams who play in the ACS, which is a step above amateur (barely). Still, heck of a view for a game.

View attachment 9063
Wow that field looks beautiful with the mountains behind it. Shame they are in such a crappy state....surprised no one from the outside has come in and dumped money into the team at some point of their free fall. Looks like they have the facilities in place and just need some money to sign players and get back into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom