EPL during the holidays!!! | The Boneyard

EPL during the holidays!!!

Reaction Score
This is my favorite time of year in the EPL. Teams playing 5 matches (beginning tomorrow/Wednedsay) thru New Year's. It's a big opportunity to make moves for top four (or avoid relegation) if you can stay healthy.

Chelsea - @Sund, @CP, Bourn, Stoke, @ Spurs
Arsenal - @Evert, @ City, WBA, CP, @ Bourne
Liverpool - @M'boro, @Evert, Stoke, City, @ Sund
City - Wat, Arsenal, @Hull, @Liverpool, Burn - probably the toughest stretch of the 6 teams vying for top 4.
Spurs - Hull, Burn, @S'hmapt, @Wat, Chelsea
United - @CP, @WBA, Sund, M'Boro, @WH

For our Swans fans, they get the 3 teams directly above them over the next 5 matches (West ham, M'Boro, and Palace) and play no one in the top 6, so a HUGE opportunity for them to get themselves out of danger

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
For our Swans fans, they get the 3 teams directly above them over the next 5 matches (West ham, M'Boro, and Palace) and play no one in the top 6, so a HUGE opportunity for them to get themselves out of danger
Yeah well let's just say today did not start that stretch off so well. We're scoreless at the half and then allowed West Brom to score a hat trick within a 5-6 minute span. They scored a worthless goal late and had another opportunity to at least have a -1 in GD but couldn't convert.

They are in serious trouble and honestly, I can't see Bradley surviving this stretch. Today's game may have been a massive nail in his coffin. Between the loss to Spurs and this debacle, Swansea has appeared lost. They aren't t just losing 1-0 or 2-1. They are letting up goals in bunches. To say that they need to win the next TO is an understatement. They need to win it for survival, period.....

The board screwed up in the transfer window and the team is suffering. Selling Ayew and whiffing on bringing back Joe Allen is really hurting them. I just can't find anything positive to say right now. I really thought they turned a corner after last weeks massive win against Sunderland. Then that 5 minute span happened where the goals came pouring in today......ugh

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am not sure why they sold Ashley Williams as well. He was error prone but a stabilizing force at CB. Losing Ayew did not help. Llorente is a good pick up, but they need help everywhere.

Reaction Score
Yeah well let's just say today did not start that stretch off so well. We're scoreless at the half and then allowed West Brom to score a hat trick within a 5-6 minute span. They scored a worthless goal late and had another opportunity to at least have a -1 in GD but couldn't convert.

They are in serious trouble and honestly, I can't see Bradley surviving this stretch. Today's game may have been a massive nail in his coffin. Between the loss to Spurs and this debacle, Swansea has appeared lost.
I didn't see the match so can't comment on how they played, but losing @WBA and @ Spurs (#7 and #5 in the table currently) shouldn't be too damming, even if they did get smoked in London. Their 3-0 win v Sunderland was huge, and their next 4 matches will probably define and determine their season. @ #17 M'boro, v # 15 West Ham, v. #10 Bournemouth, @ #16 Palace. They will need to make hay here if they want to stay up. After that, their next 6 are a bit of a murderers row... v Arsenal, @Liverpool, v S'hampton, @ City, v Leicester, @ Chelsea.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the match so can't comment on how they played, but losing @WBA and @ Spurs (#7 and #5 in the table currently) shouldn't be too damming, even if they did get smoked in London. Their 3-0 win v Sunderland was huge, and their next 4 matches will probably define and determine their season. @ #17 M'boro, v # 15 West Ham, v. #10 Bournemouth, @ #16 Palace. They will need to make hay here if they want to stay up. After that, their next 6 are a bit of a murderers row... v Arsenal, @Liverpool, v S'hampton, @ City, v Leicester, @ Chelsea.

I don't understand the concern for Bradley's future either. With the loss, hasn't he won 2 of the last 4, with the two losses being on the road? Did anyone think he was going to make them a good team this season? I would have thought the goal was to get out of the relegation zone, and then start heading in the direction of middle tier. Losing some road games to top half clubs while you're winning at home and making the slow climb should hardly be scaring or worrying anyone.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I don't understand the concern for Bradley's future either. With the loss, hasn't he won 2 of the last 4, with the two losses being on the road? Did anyone think he was going to make them a good team this season? I would have thought the goal was to get out of the relegation zone, and then start heading in the direction of middle tier. Losing some road games to top half clubs while you're winning at home and making the slow climb should hardly be scaring or worrying anyone.
I think the concern is that they aren't going to escape the relegation zone. I know WBA was top tier this year but they are not usually in that spot so I think the view point of many Swansea fans, myself included, was that this was a game that could have been won. Especially after watching the solid performance against Sunderland.

I personally wasn't expecting Bradley to bring Swansea to the upper half but I expected some better results then what they're showing. Their defense is atrocious and that's not entirely on Bradley. It's more on ownership and their lack of foresight to sign better defensive players and not sell Williams. He also provided leadership.

The part that is disturbing the most is that they'll play to a draw in the first half in many of these games and then as soon as one goal is conceded it's like the floodgates open up and the goals pour in.

The next 4 games will absolutely define their season. Even then, it won't be an easy road. I'll be curious to see who they bring in during the January window...

Reaction Score
I think the concern is that they aren't going to escape the relegation zone. I know WBA was top tier this year but they are not usually in that spot so I think the view point of many Swansea fans, myself included, was that this was a game that could have been won. Especially after watching the solid performance against Sunderland.

I personally wasn't expecting Bradley to bring Swansea to the upper half but I expected some better results then what they're showing. Their defense is atrocious and that's not entirely on Bradley. It's more on ownership and their lack of foresight to sign better defensive players and not sell Williams. He also provided leadership.

The part that is disturbing the most is that they'll play to a draw in the first half in many of these games and then as soon as one goal is conceded it's like the floodgates open up and the goals pour in.

The next 4 games will absolutely define their season. Even then, it won't be an easy road. I'll be curious to see who they bring in during the January window...

In August of 2017, Swansea will be playing in the Championship with a new manager, or in the Prem with Bob. Based on his record, I wouldn't be optimistic. Getting fired is what Bob Bradley does. This is a guy that was fired by Alexi Lalas for crying out loud.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
F Bradley.....3-0 to Middlesbrough? Seriously? It wasn't even close....I know that they are hoping to pick up players in January but to be honest it won't be of any use if they don't win the next two. Not draw, win. Why he is keeping some of the players in the lineup that he does is mind boggling.....Taylor and Rangel are abysmal. Taylor has been getting destroyed on the flanks the past few games. He's also not starting Leroy Fer who is the top flipping goal scorer on a team that can't score. I don't get it, I really don't. One more nail in Swansea's coffin.

If they are waiting for January to try and revamp the team and then see what Bradley can do, all is lost.

Reaction Score
F Bradley.....3-0 to Middlesbrough? Seriously? It wasn't even close....I know that they are hoping to pick up players in January but to be honest it won't be of any use if they don't win the next two. Not draw, win. Why he is keeping some of the players in the lineup that he does is mind boggling.....Taylor and Rangel are abysmal. Taylor has been getting destroyed on the flanks the past few games. He's also not starting Leroy Fer who is the top flipping goal scorer on a team that can't score. I don't get it, I really don't. One more nail in Swansea's coffin.

If they are waiting for January to try and revamp the team and then see what Bradley can do, all is lost.

It's tough to reinvent a team amidst ten match days in December.

This is like West Brom in 2015 before they brought Pulis in. They could still be ok if they get something going in January.

Reaction Score
Tough week for the Swans and Gunners, good week for Spurs, City, United, and Chelsea. The Merseyside Derby should be a good one this afternoon. Everton coming off a big home result v Arsenal, and Liverpool playing to jump to 2nd place and try to keep pace with enfuego Chelsea. Love this time of year in the EPL

Top 4
Chelsea (43 pts) - Bournemouth, Stoke, @ Spurs
City (36 pts.) - @ Hull, @ Liverpool, Burnley
Liverpool (34 pts, played 1 less game than rest) - @ Everton (today), Stoke, City, @ Sunderland
Arsenal (34 pts) - WBA, CP, @ Bournemouth
Spurs (33 pts) - @ Southampton, @ Watford, Chelsea
United (30 pts) - Sunderland, Middlesbrough, @ West Ham

Relegation
CP (15 pts) - @ Watford, @ Arsenal, Swansea,
Sunderland (14 pts) - @ United, @ Burnley, Liverpool
Swansea (12 pts) - West Ham, Bournemouth, @ CP
Huk (12 pts) - City, Everton, @ WBA

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Just unreal......4-1. Only fitting that Ayew started off the onslaught considering he never should have been sold.....

Reaction Score
Has Bob been fired yet? #NotGoodBob Men in Blazers already has a hashtag for him.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Well, he tried. Hopefully Swansea City can pull an escape trick with their next manager.

Reaction Score
It appears that the FA and the EPL officials have all but determined that Man U will finish in the top 4 if they have any say in it. I've noticed them getting the some of the old 'Sir Alex' calls over several matches this season, but yesterday's officiating was over the top. I am not a West Ham fan at all, but yesterdays game was possibly the most suspect I've seen. I stopped watching at one point b/c it was just so bad. From the straight red card in the 14th minute (on a 50/50 ball that when he blew the whistle I first thought he was calling a foul on the United player), then literally a minute later a United player took down a West Ham player in pretty much the same fashion and nothing was handed out.

Giroud with possibly the goal of the year v Palace on Sunday
City with a big win while playing a man down @ Burnley, and Sunderland drawing with Liverpool was big.

Some big matches today and tomorrow...
Bournemouth v Arsenal should be good. Arsenal is playing well, hoping Bournemouth can eke out a draw at least.
Palace v Swansea with huge relegation implications. A Palace win puts Swansea 7 points (and a lot of goals on goal diff) south of safety, and then their next 5 EPL matches are against Arsenal, Liverpool, Southampton, Leicester, Chelsea. It's a little early to say a team has a "must win" match, but if Swansea doesn't get a point today, they may not see another point until March.... and by that time they will be all but relegated.

Spurs v Chelsea tomorrow afternoon is the premiere match of this week. Chelsea has been unstoppable the last 3 months, and Spurs have won the matches they were supposed to win over the holiday run of play. COYS!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Spurs v Chelsea tomorrow afternoon is the premiere match of this week. Chelsea has been unstoppable the last 3 months, and Spurs have won the matches they were supposed to win over the holiday run of play. COYS!

Can't wait. Come on you Spurs is right! But no games on Thursday? What am I going to do?

Reaction Score
Wow, some sick finishes today. The Swans with a huge road win, and Bournemouth with a big draw v Arsenal (which probably feels like a loss to The Cherries the way this one fnished)

Swansea was up 1-0 most the match, Zaha and Palace tie it up with a beauty in the 85th minute, Swans come back with a great goal in the 88th minute and are able to hold on for a massive 3 points.

Aaaaand Bournemouth ties/loses 3-3 to Arsenal. That was a wild final 20 minutes. Bournemouth up 3-0, Arsenal scores goals in the 70th and 75th minutes to cut it to 3-2, Bournemouth goes down a man when they get a straight red card in the 83rd minute (i missed the foul, so don't know if it was red worthy or not), and Giroud levels it 3-3 two minutes into added time.

A Spurs win tomorrow jumps them ahead of Arsenal and City into 3rd place... HUGE game tomorrow at the Lane

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A Spurs win tomorrow jumps them ahead of Arsenal and City into 3rd place... HUGE game tomorrow at the Lane
Looking forward to a nice...draw. ;)

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Huge win by Swansea yesterday. Was able to watch the last 10 min of the game and missed the goal by Palace but saw Rangel put one in after a sweet pass over the top by Fer.

I said repeatedly that Bradley was making a mistake leaving Fer on the bench. He showed why today. Here's to hoping our new manager is a solid one and the 30 million pound transfer money they allotted pays off.

As Samcro said, I don't see a win, let alone a point, until March. I'm hoping they pull out one or two WTF wins or draws like they did last year or two years ago near the end of the season against Chelsea and I believe Arsenal. It might have been last season.

I'm just worried that they really killed their chances by only winning 2 games in this December time frame. All those games were winnable and they blew it. That GD will be tough to overcome.

Reaction Score
Alli with a header in the final minute of the 1st half puts Spurs up 1-0 at the break. Lot's of tackles, fouls, but only 3 yellow cards handed out so far (which is well below the Spurs-Chelsea average).
Should be a more explosive and faster second half as Chelsea will push the pace now that they are playing from behind. Spurs had a 1-0 HT lead v Chelsea at the Bridge a couple months ago and ended up losing 2-1, so a lot still to play for.

Reaction Score
Final, Spurs win 2-0. Eriksen assisting Alli on both goals. Alli has been en fuego as of late. Spurs are finally healthy (which they haven't been since September) and playing very well.

So going in to FA Cup action this weekend the top of the table is:
Chelsea 49 pts, +27 GD
Liverpool 44 pts, +25 GD
Spurs 42 pts, +25 GD
City 42 pts, +19 GD
Arsenal 41 pts, +22 GD
United 39 pts, +12 GD

Don't forget, Liverpool also has an upcoming home and home v. Southampton for the EFL (Cap One) Cup semi-final, so they will be playing 5-6 games over the next 3 1/2 weeks. This on the heels of playing the very busy holiday match schedule.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Final, Spurs win 2-0. Eriksen assisting Alli on both goals. Alli has been en fuego as of late. Spurs are finally healthy (which they haven't been since September) and playing very well.

So going in to FA Cup action this weekend the top of the table is:
Chelsea 49 pts, +27 GD
Liverpool 44 pts, +25 GD
Spurs 42 pts, +25 GD
City 42 pts, +19 GD
Arsenal 41 pts, +22 GD
United 39 pts, +12 GD

Don't forget, Liverpool also has an upcoming home and home v. Southampton for the EFL (Cap One) Cup semi-final, so they will be playing 5-6 games over the next 3 1/2 weeks. This on the heels of playing the very busy holiday match schedule.
Though I hate to see Spurs ahead of us, it was probably best to take points of Chelsea.

We are gonna be short in midfield for a bit. Cazorla still looks to be a couple months away (probably longer), Coquelin is out now with a hammie, Elneny is off to the African Cup. Özil is coming back from being sick (flu, strep?). Think we are down to Xhaka, Ramsey and Iwobi for the 3 midfield positions.

Might be getting Welbeck back soon though, maybe for the FA this weekend. Wenger will have to do some rotation for that. Dip into the youth probably.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom