Epic tribute for Mo | The Boneyard

Epic tribute for Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Yankees gave Mo a great tribute before Sunday's home game. After all the introductions and appearances from special guests it was time for Mo to enter the stadium. And the Yankees brought in Metallica for a live jam of Enter Sandman.

Nice!

Reaction Score
Very humble guy - you could see he wasn't entirely comfortable in the spotlight. Nice ceremony, well-spoken remarks from Mo - the last baseball player to wear #42. Classy to have the Robinsons on hand. Too bad they couldn't score a few more runs for he and Andy.

Reaction Score
The Yankees do these types of things well. While it was a wonderful tribute, seeing all of Mo's former teammates celebrating with him on the field was a pretty stark reminder that this golden era of Yankee baseball has pretty much officially ended. Cashman and the Steinbrenners will have their hands full for the next few seasons putting a playoff contending team on the field. Hopefully they won't do it the old Yankee way of overpaying for mediocre talent.

Reaction Score
Amazing thing about Rivera to me....beyond fact he is so far above the rest of closers who ever played game....is that....

To me he is most valuable player in baseball in my lifetime for what he has done and meant and for so long....and yet he never ever won MVP or I suspect was even close.

Reaction Score
Amazing thing about Rivera to me....beyond fact he is so far above the rest of closers who ever played game....is that....

To me he is most valuable player in baseball in my lifetime for what he has done and meant and for so long....and yet he never ever won MVP or I suspect was even close.

Agree with you. But there's a strong bias against selecting pitchers as MVPs and against selecting relievers as Cy Young winners.

Reaction Score
Agree with you. But there's a strong bias against selecting pitchers as MVPs and against selecting relievers as Cy Young winners.

I'd add that what has made Mo so special has been his longevity and his production in the post-season. There have been closers with better individual seasons, but none of them have had the long time consistency that Mo has. Unfortunately, consistency doesn't translate into MVP votes. Same thing with Mo's post-season success. What he's been able to do against baseball's best when it's mattered the most is remarkable. But post-season stats don't count towards MVP votes.

Reaction Score
Hats off to Tampa Bay. The Yankees had a really nice, impromptu send-off for Rivera in his last inning in the Stadium, sending Pettitte and Jeter out for the pitching change. After that half inning, the fans started chanting for Andy, and the Rays wouldn't come out onto the field until he came out to acknowledge the fans. Patient and classy response by them.

Reaction Score
Hats off to Tampa Bay. The Yankees had a really nice, impromptu send-off for Rivera in his last inning in the Stadium, sending Pettitte and Jeter out for the pitching change. After that half inning, the fans started chanting for Andy, and the Rays wouldn't come out onto the field until he came out to acknowledge the fans. Patient and classy response by them.

Yeah for sure.........imagine a classy organization in the other dugout? Hmmmmm........some can learn Mr Henry!

Anyway some of the looks on the younger Rays were simply respectful to 2 great baseball players and being able to take in a night of history!! Good stuff..........

Reaction Score
Yeah for sure.........imagine a classy organization in the other dugout? Hmmmmm........some can learn Mr Henry!

Anyway some of the looks on the younger Rays were simply respectful to 2 great baseball players and being able to take in a night of history!! Good stuff..........

David Price @DAVIDprice14
Yes I did grab dirt from the mound tonight...a true role model...unreal what Mariano has done on/off field #history

Reaction Score
one of the best moments I've ever witnessed (on my 55" Flatscreen) as a Yankee fan. Almost shed a tear on that one.

Reaction Score
one of the best moments I've ever witnessed (on my 55" Flatscreen) as a Yankee fan. Almost shed a tear on that one.

Yeah, my living room seemed to get a little dusty in the top of the 9th yesterday. If you think about it, we've basically hung out with these guys every summer for the past 18 years or so. It's hard to think about not having them in the dugout next season.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I still can't get over the fact they had Metallica in the stadium last Sunday!

And yeah, last night was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA