Enoch | The Boneyard

Enoch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At one point last night the announcer commented that Enoch was physically holding his own against Shaq Goodwin. He had a very nifty under the basket layup with lots of spin. Then he has just a beautiful back to the basket post move and finish. Now granted, every time he got within a foot of his man he was whistled, but I'm officially excited here. Facey might be moved further down the bench.

Reaction Score
First, I wouldn't put much stock in what the announcers said last night.

Enoch definitely has some touch inside. It's not his inability to score that's keeping him off the court. He just doesn't know what he's doing on defense too often.

As for Facey, he was unusually careless with the ball last night and teams have been completely targeting him down low in conference play. His playing time will be completely matchup dependent until he figures out how to not get bullied.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I'ld love to see Enoch get a few more minutes (or more) per game in certain situations as a nice change of pace. I was impressed by his low post moves/shots last night... but yeah on one play defensively he got completely turned around under the basket facing the wrong way as the Memphis player was dribbling to the basket - he will improve defensively by playing more.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Love what Enoch brings to the table offensively. Somehow, he's our second most polished and skilled big after Miller, as a freshman.

The problem is his defense. He somewhat held his own against Goodwin in spot duty last night, so it was promising. But I can't forget that one play where he somehow found himself guarding a Memphis player backwards, lol. @tcf15 I think we need a GIF of that.

Reaction Score
My problem with Facey, your a junior pf and you still have no size. He Still has the same body size he showed up to campus with two and half years ago. Brimah and him came in at the same time, and look at the difference with brimah, it's slight, but there. He should have another 15-20 pounds on that frame at this point in his career. Look at Photos of Miller from his freshmen to senior years at Cornell. Both guys were similar in size and height as freshmen as well as having quickness and hops, and you can see the difference with Miller having the size now on D and O. He uses it to his advantage . Facey could be like Miller, if he had more size.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He can definitely help out in certain situations. When he's up against a big man that can dribble a little bit and get out in space, he really struggles, but when he has to defend low post situations, he uses his muscle and length to alter shots without leaving his feet. I was really impressed with him against Goodwin (at times); the potential is definitely there.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Kid is going to be a star. We should find ways to mix brimah Nolan and Enoch whenever we need their individual skills. I would keep starting Nolan, and play him for his understanding of where to be on defense. I'd play Brimah when people are scoring at the rim at will. Enoch when we really need some offense out of that position, or someone has a "big" man whose pushing around Nolan. Lots of potential here, hopefully we figure out how to use it by March....

Reaction Score
Really wish Enoch got more playing time when Brimah went down.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Facey is a fine backup 4. He just had a bad game.

I'm willing to give him a pass for his poor play lately since he's been playing out of position since Brimah went down...but he's continued the poor play the last two games. Hope he can bust out of it, because he's in danger of having his 2nd straight season of starting off red-hot and then fading into oblivion.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He can definitely help out in certain situations. When he's up against a big man that can dribble a little bit and get out in space, he really struggles, but when he has to defend low post situations, he uses his muscle and length to alter shots without leaving his feet. I was really impressed with him against Goodwin (at times); the potential is definitely there.
This is 1000% correct. Right now Enoch is actually a better 1v1 post defender than anybody else on the team because of his size & strength. Smaller guys can put their shoulder into Brimah's chest and bump him far enough away so that they can get a shot off, while Phil doesn't have the length to contest. Enoch doesn't have either of those problems.

The problem he does have is, first and foremost, understanding rotations. He's slow to read the flow of the game, which is how he picks up a ton of fouls - dude is late to contest, late to establish position, late to box out. It's an experience thing.

He also doesn't have great lateral quickness, so smaller bigs like Goodwin can get past him when they put the ball on the floor. Pastner should be flogged for not taking advantage of that more last night.

Reaction Score
Enoch gave us a taste of whats to come. He sure ain't ready yet but he has confidence and a nice motor. Ollie should make sure going forward that he always gets minutes.

I think his play also inspired Phil a little bit.

Reaction Score
Love what Enoch brings to the table offensively. Somehow, he's our second most polished and skilled big after Miller, as a freshman.

The problem is his defense. He somewhat held his own against Goodwin in spot duty last night, so it was promising. But I can't forget that one play where he somehow found himself guarding a Memphis player backwards, lol. @tcf15 I think we need a GIF of that.
LrDIRPC.gif

Reaction Score

Was actually reflexively going for a rebound when the first Memphis player left his feet like he was about to put up a shot. A miscue for sure, but not indicative of poor defense. Although he does stil have some development ahead of him on defense

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
It's pretty obvious that he thought that pass was going to #10 and turned to box out his man on the boards.

I was yelling at the TV - Enoch turn around!

Boxing out the man with the ball has got to be the 1st time I've seen that one !

Reaction Score
I was yelling at the TV - Enoch turn around!

Boxing out the man with the ball has got to be the 1st time I've seen that one !
I am relatively sure he will not repeat his mistake of assuming that the shot was taken - but he's tall, big, soft hands, not afraid to bang down low or look for realistic shot - he will be a positive force for the Huskies for 2-3 years.

Reaction Score
My problem with Facey, your a junior pf and you still have no size. He Still has the same body size he showed up to campus with two and half years ago. Brimah and him came in at the same time, and look at the difference with brimah, it's slight, but there. He should have another 15-20 pounds on that frame at this point in his career. Look at Photos of Miller from his freshmen to senior years at Cornell. Both guys were similar in size and height as freshmen as well as having quickness and hops, and you can see the difference with Miller having the size now on D and O. He uses it to his advantage . Facey could be like Miller, if he had more size.
Facey is a year older than Brimah,I suspect he is what he his.
On the other hand Enoch has an NBA body and the s still a kid.

Reaction Score
LOL! That is the play. I always wonder why he can't block more shots but I think he just doesn't understand defense. Weird since his offense is so polished.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Was actually reflexively going for a rebound when the first Memphis player left his feet like he was about to put up a shot. A miscue for sure, but not indicative of poor defense. Although he does stil have some development ahead of him on defense
Yeah - and to be fair, Memphis had been launching from 3 pretty consistently by that point in the game, and it was a hell of a shot fake.

It was a funny play, but I love that his first instinct when guys go up now is to find his dude a box him out. He wasn't doing that earlier in the season, and instead was just reaching for rebounds.

Reaction Score
What I noticed was that the offensive player pushed him off with the left arm. Enoch did initiate contact, bodied up and turned completely around anticipating a pass. Our bigs were whistled for breathing in that game. There is only one way he gets better at defense and that would be to get him as much floor one as possible. Diamond Stone made a lot of mistakes early and is still making them but they leave him out there, now I'm not saying Steve is that but we know what Facey and Nolan are after their 7 combined years here don't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom