Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm probably going to catch some heat for this but I don't really want to go to the big 12!
Unfortunately like it or not, consolidation is what these conferences will do. Like as not schools will follow the money and players will follow the teams with money.

Reaction Score
Sorry for the missing link on the previous post. here it is.

There will be some sort of decision on expansion Monday in Texas.

There will be immediate fallout from Storrs to Stonington to Stamford to Sharon and all four corners of UConn's world. There will be the Big 12 Declaration.

Emotional Rescue? Big 12 Decides UConn's Future Monday, And Connecticut Will Feel It
Unfortunately not looking good. Though the worst outcome - others get invited but not Uconn - is not the most probable either.

Reaction Score
I'll take a Big 12 invite but IMO the best fit for UCONN is the B1G!
I really think that the B1G regrets taking Rutgers instead of UCONN but now they're stuck!

Reaction Score
I think the Big 12 has to do something that will get them a football championship game if they are to remain a relevant force in the "Power 5" conferences. Since football is king, the question is what available football programs bring the most credibility to the conference.

The Big 12 is constantly being hammered for being the "weakest" of the Power 5 conferences in football. Just look at where the two undefeated teams from the Big 12 are ranked nationally, and I can't see anything that indicates those rankings should be higher when compared with the level of play in the other conferences. Of course, some of that perception is based on the parity of the conference in football. The Big 12 schools tend to eliminate each other during league play because no one is head and shoulders above the others. That, and the fact that they always seem to lose the important match ups against first tier schools from other Power 5 conferences.

In the east basketball has some cachet. Not so much in the traditional Big 12 region. Unless there is a paradigm shift and schools other than Kansas start pushing basketball, the basketball programs that UCONN brings to the table will be undervalued when compared to what schools like Houston and BYU bring to the football side of the equation.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think the Big 12 has to do something that will get them a football championship game if they are to remain a relevant force in the "Power 5" conferences. Since football is king, the question is what available football programs bring the most credibility to the conference.

The Big 12 is constantly being hammered for being the "weakest" of the Power 5 conferences in football. Just look at where the two undefeated teams from the Big 12 are ranked nationally, and I can't see anything that indicates those rankings should be higher when compared with the level of play in the other conferences. Of course, some of that perception is based on the parity of the conference in football. The Big 12 schools tend to eliminate each other during league play because no one is head and shoulders above the others. That, and the fact that they always seem to lose the important match ups against first tier schools from other Power 5 conferences.

In the east basketball has some cachet. Not so much in the traditional Big 12 region. Unless there is a paradigm shift and schools other than Kansas start pushing basketball, the basketball programs that UCONN brings to the table will be undervalued when compared to what schools like Houston and BYU bring to the football side of the equation.
And that's the bottom line.

Reaction Score
Looks like big 12 has decided to delay expansion for now, according to B/R. At least no expansion was approved in this morning's board meeting, and none expected in school presidents' meeting later today...

Latest Big 12 Expansion Rumors

Reaction Score
I watched UCONN get pummeled this weekend.
Not a glowing endorsement no matter the need to join up for the $.

Reaction Score
With no announcement today, I suspect nothing will happen now until after the football regular season is over.

Reaction Score
I believe it will all become three super conferences the: SEC, PAC, and the B1G in the end.

Reaction Score
I believe it will all become three super conferences the: SEC, PAC, and the B1G in the end.
I used to think along those lines, but I've had a bit of a change of heart. I think most likely what will happen is football, and maybe men's basketball, spin off into an entirely separate league without conference affiliations and NCAA encumbrances. We will finally be able to accurately and openly talk about what everyone already knows about these sports: they are minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. I think ultimately it's the top 3-4 teams from the current P5 that make the cut into this new elite league. What this means is that these 20-ish teams make and keep all the money to themselves (bye bye freeloaders grandfathered in to all these P5 conferences), and can manage and run themselves however they like. The football and basketball products would be way better which certainly makes the TV execs happy and the rich get richer. The schools in the new league would not have to worry about Title 9 nor would they have to share their collective billions with the likes of a Rutgers or BC who add no value to the product. For everyone else, there would be a reset of sorts. Once you take away the corrupting power of money by separating out the big money sports, all the other schools/sports would have to slow their arms races and maybe instead of crazy conference configurations that are trying to squeeze every last dollar out of a rotting system, you go back to something that's more regional since everyone would now be in the same boat.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, if the current ratings trend of the NFL continues and infects the frenzy called College Game Day the whole landscape may need re-examination. I, romantic that I am, hunger for a different time, before a bunch of University/College leaders killed the greatest Basketball Conference in history.

Reaction Score
Well, if the current ratings trend of the NFL continues and infects the frenzy called College Game Day the whole landscape may need re-examination. I, romantic that I am, hunger for a different time, before a bunch of University/College leaders killed the greatest Basketball Conference in history.
Yeah the NFL trend is what I think will make the Ohio States, Alabamas, Florida States of the world re-evaluate the benefits of being in a conference with a bunch of teams that are net takers rather than contributors. If the big schools see their revenue stagnate or even decrease, that money will need to come from somewhere, and they may not be so willing to share any or at least as much with Purdue, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest.

Reaction Score
I think the Big 12 has to do something that will get them a football championship game

It did. The NCAA ruled that a 10-team conference can have a championship game. The B12 can have a game anytime it wants now.

The Big 12 is constantly being hammered for being the "weakest" of the Power 5 conferences in football.

Um, no. The ACC has been the weakest for many years, this year nonwithstanding.

Just look at where the two undefeated teams from the Big 12 are ranked nationally
The 2 undefeated teams are ranked low because they have played crappy schedules.
Oklahoma was preseason #3 and TCU #13. 40% of the conference was ranked in the top 25, more than the ACC & Big10.

In the east basketball has some cachet.

Everything is all about football. North, south, east, west.

Reaction Score
The Big12's problem is that Texas has its own TV network. The rest of the teams in the conference do not. This creates an imbalance, and as a result the 2nd most valuable team in the conference, Oklahoma, will bolt when their current contract is up. At that point, Texas will either go somewhere it can keep its network (independent or ACC) or go to a higher paying conference (PAC or Big10).

The remaining 8 teams will be toast.

Reaction Score
Baylor and Florida St. are going to jump soon and join the SEC soon. When they expand maybe UCONN could get into the ACC that's the most ideal situation right.

Reaction Score
Baylor and Florida St. are going to jump soon and join the SEC soon.

No.
1) The ACC teams are locked into a deal until 2036.
2) The SEC has said it will only expand to new markets. It already has Florida covered.
3) Baylor is not highly desired. Oklahoma is the most likely B12 team to go to the SEC.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma seems suited for the PAC 12, but would go the B1G route with OSU and WVU to the SEC then. UCONN ends up in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma seems suited for the PAC 12, but would go the B1G route with OSU and WVU to the SEC then. UCONN ends up in the B1G.
So far the PAC 12 has had a problem going outside the Pacific & Mountain time zones. If the Big 12 breaks up, Oklahoma is best suited for SEC IMO (geographically, zero concern with academics, etc). But I would rather see the Big 12 stay together and add a couple more legit football schools. If UCONN could develop a credible football program, to me the ACC makes a lot more sense than Big 12.

Reaction Score
So far the PAC 12 has had a problem going outside the Pacific & Mountain time zones.

The PAC has never had teams outside the Pac/Mtn time zones so I have no idea what this statement means.

Reaction Score
The PAC has never had teams outside the Pac/Mtn time zones so I have no idea what this statement means.
Problems considering expansion outside their area, sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger