Ellsbury a Yankee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ellsbury a Yankee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Get ready to watch hitters stretching singles to doubles. Gardner or Ellsbury will play CF but the other one will have to play one of the corner OF positions. That is one weak throwing outfield. After signing McCann I assumed the Yankees would have gone after some young starting pitching but apparently not.

Really expensive and valuable commodity in baseball today. NY doesn't have many trade chips to get young arms, besides their minor league catchers. Did that already with Pineda.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ellsbury is real good.

Excellent glove.

50-75 sb
may hit 40 hrs in that bandbox

one of top few leadoff hitters in game

good move for NY

He may struggle to hit 40 over the life of the contract. Ellsbury hit 32 HRs in 2011. He hit 33 in all other MLB years combined, never more than 9.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with you on all your points. As a Yankee fan I'm not happy. Over 7 yrs I will be surprised if he plays in 700 games. I would have been very happy to stay with Gardner. The present Yankee roster does not have one OF who can hit 20 HR

Ellsbury will hit 20 HR with the Little League dimensions in right field. This will be worth it for the first three years. After that, lots of uncertainty . . .

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's hilarious that you guys are making fun of how many games he played now!

No matter how late to the party you are (sour grapes it's called) you are correct. To a Yankee fan 7 years for a guy who has had multiple physical ailments is very strange especially for the amount of money discussed. Desperation?
The thing is Ellsbury is not injury prone. He missed most of 2010 because he was run into and basically mule kicked in the ribs by Adrian Beltre. His shoulder injury in 2012 was caused by being sat on him at second base. These aren't exactly a recurring strained oblique or pulled hammy.

The fact remains that Ellsbury is on the wrong side of 30 and went from a net worth of $20 Mil to getting it every year.

Hey, good for him. Maybe it's the World Series win, maybe its my age, but this defection doesn't hurt as much as when Damon left.

Reaction Score
Ellsbury will hit 20 HR with the Little League dimensions in right field. This will be worth it for the first three years. After that, lots of uncertainty . . .

I agree but he also will hit less doubles because he no longer has a 200 FT wall in left field.......maybe more triples......because of big gap in left center

Reaction Score
It's a mind-boggling deal to me. Yes it's an upgrade over Gardner, but Gardner wasn't the problem in 2013. He stayed healthy and was the glue to the outfield. Before Grandy got hurt, there was talk of moving him to left and having Gardner play center. Once Gardner got in center, he made up for a lot of mistakes from Ichiro in right, and Soriano in left, two aging outfielders in the last year of their contracts. I just don't get this deal because there's talk now of using Gardner as trade-bait. He's a natural center fielder, I think as good defensively as Elsbury, and if he is moved to another club, the Yankees haven't addressed their real future problems in left and right.
I think that there has to be more coming. Perhaps this is one piece of the puzzle. I certainly hope so- $22 mil a year is a steep price to pay for someone that the Yankee's hated rival walked away from.

Reaction Score
It's a mind-boggling deal to me. Yes it's an upgrade over Gardner, but Gardner wasn't the problem in 2013. He stayed healthy and was the glue to the outfield. Before Grandy got hurt, there was talk of moving him to left and having Gardner play center. Once Gardner got in center, he made up for a lot of mistakes from Ichiro in right, and Soriano in left, two aging outfielders in the last year of their contracts. I just don't get this deal because there's talk now of using Gardner as trade-bait. He's a natural center fielder, I think as good defensively as Elsbury, and if he is moved to another club, the Yankees haven't addressed their real future problems in left and right.
I think that there has to be more coming. Perhaps this is one piece of the puzzle. I certainly hope so- $22 mil a year is a steep price to pay for someone that the Yankee's hated rival walked away from.
I think the Yankees have yet to address their real problem and that is pitching. Sabathia and Kuroda are a year older and Andy and Hughes are gone. Mo retired. Pineda may be able to help but he has only one year in the majors and is coming off surgery. That's a lot of holes to fill. Plus if Cano signs elsewhere, the entire infield is weak unless Tex has a big comeback. The irony is that if they do sign Cano, they don't have money to do much more. If they let him go, their fan base may go over to the Mets. /http://baseballhotcorner.com/the-new-york-yankees-2014-payroll-is-almost-maxed-out/

Reaction Score
I think the Yankees have yet to address their real problem and that is pitching. Sabathia and Kuroda are a year older and Andy and Hughes are gone. Mo retired. Pineda may be able to help but he has only one year in the majors and is coming off surgery. That's a lot of holes to fill. Plus if Cano signs elsewhere, the entire infield is weak unless Tex has a big comeback. The irony is that if they do sign Cano, they don't have money to do much more. If they let him go, their fan base may go over to the Mets. /http://baseballhotcorner.com/the-new-york-yankees-2014-payroll-is-almost-maxed-out/

#1 they need CC to be better for sure or else just having him doesn't do all that much. #2 Kuroda is solid and needs to be signed.....Nova is fine and looked real good 2nd half of the year...Pineda is a huge key as well as signing an unknown in Tanaka.........I say get Arroyo for a 13-12 guy eating up innings......4.00 ERA with an improved lineup will be a winner.......

Reaction Score
It's not all doom and gloom next year beginning with Nova, and if Kuroda comes back, Pineda is healed, C.C. is something closer to an E.R.A of 4 than 5 which is still possible. The Yankee's have a ton of young arms- Nunu, Betances, Huff, Claiborne, Cabral, Warren and of course David Phelps. If they get Tanaka and 1 or 2 of those arms pan out they'll be more than okay. They did have a combined E.R.A. under 4 last season, and got to see a lot of youngsters during the regular season which doesn't happen often for the Yankees. If they get a seventh or eighth inning person to fill Robertson's last- year role, I think that they will be better than 2013. The Yankees problems last year were lack of homers and scoring runs. Small ball didn't work, and now they're addressing that.
Also, coming out of the organization is an emphatic denial that Gardner will be traded. That source said that they want both he and Ellsbury at the top of the line-up. We'll see.
I guess that if they are to stay under the $189 million they're relying on ARod's suspension to be upheld- that's $30 million in 2014 when bonuses are factored in. And another $15 million in 2015.

Just an aside- what if the Red Sox sign Grandy? That would be way weird!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good addition by the Yankees but an awful deal in terms of length and dollars per. But really other than 2014 the Yankees don't have a real budget, so how much does that really matter? In 2016 they will have 5 guys eating up 110 million - CC, ARod, Teix, McCann adn Ellsbury - but it doesnt' matter because they'll just bump up their payroll to 240, 250 if they have to compete for the division..they have a comical amount of revenue. So hard to say that for them this is a "BAD" deal.

This screams out to me to be an owner signing rather than a Cashman signing, especially with Hal being the one sending out McCann press releases rather than Cashman the other day. I wonder if Cash is tied up in some bunker somewhere.

Playing in YS will give him at least 5 more HR's a year I'd think. He has no opposite field power whatsoever, so the idea that he'll get triples in the Left center gap is not realistic. All his power is pull.

Still a very good defender and great baserunner. So the value in this deal is if he can keep those two things at elite level for the length of the deal AND if he can all of a sudden be consistently healthy. Regardless of how he got injured, his body doesn't handle collisions well, whether it be players, walls, foul balls off feet...always seems like when he hit something he would get injured, fluke or not. I don't think all of a sudden collisions are going to go away, but we'll see.

I'll always be happy for the two rings he helped us win and this doesn't feel anything like Damon. I'm not really that bothered by it because it was predestined for years that he would be leaving. I like the Sox sticking with shorter deals on years and working in their young players now. Time to see what's going on with all this talk of talent on the farm. Let Bradley Jr and Bogaerts get 400-500 at bats this year.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Long term, big $ contracts might have made sense in the steroid era when guys who got banged up could bounce back quickly with a little help from the juice.

Not saying the Yanks had more guys doing it than other teams, but the big contract strategy benefitted more from it. If you are soaking up that much payroll in one player you simply have to have them in the lineup all the time for the production and to put fans in the seats.

Ellsbury has taken his time coming back from injuries. The thought was that he was being cautious so he didnt jeopardize a chance at a big contract . Will be interesting to see how he handles injuries now that he is getting real paid.

Reaction Score
I think the really important question is, What is John Sterling's home run call for him?

"Jacoby jacked one!" seems obvious, but does he also tag on something like "He ellsburied that one in the bleachers!"

Reaction Score
Agreed with Viking (?) on the Cashman / Steinbrenner deal.....no doubt screams overriding Brian as does McCann......think they overpaid both parties but were desperate to out a winning team on the field. The $189M is on it's way out LOL......

But Sox fans I know you weren't doing it purposely but let's admit one thing, NO ONE else was able to throw the dollars out you did to win last year besides the Yanks and Dodgers. Key here is the Sox were more efficient and smarter with theirs although they spent more than anyone to jump from last to first!! But having said that Viking is also right (wtf?) in the fact I like the short term agreements with key pieces to fill in. Plus they have a farm system only the Cards are equal to as far as "ready" players.

I hate the deal but we'll see.......can't imagine him on the Yanks now but I guess a 300ft SHOT in the 9th in April to win a game will help me change!

Reaction Score
This screams out to me to be an owner signing rather than a Cashman signing, especially with Hal being the one sending out McCann press releases rather than Cashman the other day. I wonder if Cash is tied up in some bunker somewhere.

I don't get the sense that Hal, unlike Hank or certainly George, goes after players. He's mostly concerned about the bottom line. If Cashman wasn't involved, it was more likely Randy Levine. (Levine famously signed Rafael Soriano over Cashman's strong objections).

Re: the 5 guys eating up $110 million in 2016 ... yeah, NY can afford it. But the highly publicized $189 million figure matters too. If NY can stay below that next year, they'll save $50 million in tax in '16, "free money" that will more than pay for Ellsbury and McCann.

Reaction Score
#1 they need CC to be better for sure or else just having him doesn't do all that much. #2 Kuroda is solid and needs to be signed.....Nova is fine and looked real good 2nd half of the year...Pineda is a huge key as well as signing an unknown in Tanaka.........I say get Arroyo for a 13-12 guy eating up innings......4.00 ERA with an improved lineup will be a winner.......
Interesting comment on Bronson Arroyo. He is a free agent and he does gobble up innings. I loved him as a Red Sox and was upset when they traded him to Cincinnati for Wily Mo Pena. I remember posting on this board, "Say It Ain't So, Wily Mo". Bronson will turn 37 in February so he is not longer a spring chicken. Maybe he and Arod can re-in act their dance down the first base line in 2004.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think the really important question is, What is John Sterling's home run call for him?

"Jacoby jacked one!" seems obvious, but does he also tag on something like "He ellsburied that one in the bleachers!"

Similar to Francisco Cervelli's, probably. Outside of his outlier year, Ellsbury has not hit more than 9 HRs in a single season. His value is his ability to pick'em up and put'em down at a rapid rate.

Reaction Score
Agreed with Viking (?) on the Cashman / Steinbrenner deal.....no doubt screams overriding Brian as does McCann......think they overpaid both parties but were desperate to out a winning team on the field. The $189M is on it's way out LOL......

But Sox fans I know you weren't doing it purposely but let's admit one thing, NO ONE else was able to throw the dollars out you did to win last year besides the Yanks and Dodgers. Key here is the Sox were more efficient and smarter with theirs although they spent more than anyone to jump from last to first!! But having said that Viking is also right (wtf?) in the fact I like the short term agreements with key pieces to fill in. Plus they have a farm system only the Cards are equal to as far as "ready" players.

I hate the deal but we'll see.......can't imagine him on the Yanks now but I guess a 300ft SHOT in the 9th in April to win a game will help me change!
"looks like Jesus, hits like Mary, acts like Judas"... just a little tweak on the great line on Johnny Damon.

Reaction Score
Last 4 years Ellsbury played 384 games with a WAR of 14.8. Gardner played 470 games with a WAR of 15.7.[/quot
That comes out to less than 100 games a year or missing over a third of a season. Ellsbury does give the Yankees a good leadoff hitter and if Gardner can handle batting 2nd plenty of speed at the top of the lineup. The Yankees overpaid but if I were a Yankee fan my attitude would be "it isn't my money." If they can sign Cano the Yankee lineup is pretty good but pitching will keep them from being in the race in the fall unless they are able to do something. The question marks are Arod and Jeter.

Reaction Score
Awful contract and yanks just lost cano also. Jacoby is a great player but not a superstar and definitely not worth being the 3rd largest OF contract in history. He has only hit more than 10 hr that ONE year he hit 30 and now people believe he will hit 20 a year, give me a break. He plays great D but he isn't the greatest defensive player. He has elite speed but it on the wrong side of 30. Desperate move by the yanks and probably made knowing Cano was gone.

Kurodo is a FA and believe I heard he wants to go back to the NL but as always it's always about money and the Yankees have the most.

Pineda had shoulder surgery. Pitchers don't come back the same after that it just doesn't happen. For most pitchers shoulder surgery is the end.

Yanks have a lot of holes. It seems to me they expect the arod suspension to be upheld and his contract to come off the books. MLB can't allow that to happen as it allows the Yankees to get a mulligan on that ridiculous contract.

There are still the winter meetings to come and I expect more moves for the Yankees that will paint a clearer picture

Reaction Score
Awful contract and yanks just lost cano also. Jacoby is a great player but not a superstar and definitely not worth being the 3rd largest OF contract in history. He has only hit more than 10 hr that ONE year he hit 30 and now people believe he will hit 20 a year, give me a break. He plays great D but he isn't the greatest defensive player. He has elite speed but it on the wrong side of 30. Desperate move by the yanks and probably made knowing Cano was gone.

Kurodo is a FA and believe I heard he wants to go back to the NL but as always it's always about money and the Yankees have the most.

Pineda had shoulder surgery. Pitchers don't come back the same after that it just doesn't happen. For most pitchers shoulder surgery is the end.

Yanks have a lot of holes. It seems to me they expect the arod suspension to be upheld and his contract to come off the books. MLB can't allow that to happen as it allows the Yankees to get a mulligan on that ridiculous contract.

There are still the winter meetings to come and I expect more moves for the Yankees that will paint a clearer picture
"Jacoby is a great player but not a superstar and definitely not worth being the 3rd largest OF contract in history"
None of these players are worth what they are getting but if I'm a Yankee fan, I'm happy with the deal. They will be looking long and hard for pitching. Their problem is they have little to trade in the minors so it will have to be the free agent root and there doesn't appear to be much out there.

Husky25

Reaction Score
At what point do Fans stop talking about money that athletes make. The money is absurd. I know it. You know it. They know it. It's a different world. Just like the world of High powered Corporate CEOs and/or the Hollywood blockbuster actor. No matter how successful, if Jim Carrey make 3 movies in a year he is guaranteed $60 Million plus residuals for about 135 days of work. It is what it is. Who cares? Good for Ellsbury to guarantee himself $25Mil at 37 years old when he probably can't do the same things he could at 29.

The Yankees (Insert any big market team. Just using the Yankees as an example) have a $189 Million player budget...Think about that for a moment: 25 players average $7.56 Million per year...and the Yankees are in the black so all the power to them.

He's my point...Do you think if player payroll was $156 Mil or $125 Mil, that ticket prices would come down? The 20oz beer domestic macrobrew may go from $14 to $13.50, but that's about it...and management would act like they were doing the fan a favor.

I have been a Red Sox fan since I was 7, but I will always like the A's, Twins, and smartly run teams of that ilk, because they are able to find tangible value in players they don't have to "overpay"...

"Jacoby is a great player but not a superstar and definitely not worth being the 3rd largest OF contract in history"
None of these players are worth what they are getting but if I'm a Yankee fan, I'm happy with the deal. They will be looking long and hard for pitching. Their problem is they have little to trade in the minors so it will have to be the free agent root and there doesn't appear to be much out there.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I heard on the FAN that the Jacoby signing and the McCann signing were done in time for the big-money ticket packages to be sold.

Reaction Score
At what point do Fans stop talking about money that athletes make. The money is absurd. I know it. You know it. They know it. It's a different world. Just like the world of High powered Corporate CEOs and/or the Hollywood blockbuster actor. No matter how successful, if Jim Carrey make 3 movies in a year he is guaranteed $60 Million plus residuals for about 135 days of work. It is what it is. Who cares? Good for Ellsbury to guarantee himself $25Mil at 37 years old when he probably can't do the same things he could at 29.

The Yankees (Insert any big market team. Just using the Yankees as an example) have a $189 Million player budget...Think about that for a moment: 25 players average $7.56 Million per year...and the Yankees are in the black so all the power to them.

He's my point...Do you think if player payroll was $156 Mil or $125 Mil, that ticket prices would come down? The 20oz beer domestic macrobrew may go from $14 to $13.50, but that's about it...and management would act like they were doing the fan a favor.

I have been a Red Sox fan since I was 7, but I will always like the A's, Twins, and smartly run teams of that ilk, because they are able to find tangible value in players they don't have to "overpay"...
You can add Tampa Bay to that list but the reality is those team don't generally draw the fans. I have been a Red Sox fan since I was seven too but that was 1949. I learned the secret of the Red Sox back in the 60's. Because the ball park was small, all they had to do was give the appearance of having a good team and they would sell out quickly before the season started. I was one of those who used to buy my tickets in January so that I would be guaranteed a seat. When I lived in the area, I would buy tickets for 7 or 8 games a year. Now I live in the San Diego area and because the Padres have no hope, I can wait until the season is well underway before I have to make a commitment. I am sure that all of the tickets for the Sox games will be gone before the season starts.

Reaction Score
Bottom line to me is in short term makes the Yanks better and the Sox worse. If you are going to overpay hurting your competitor makes it sting much less. Consider it 15M annual salary and 7M strike against their biggest competitor.

Sox are banking on JB Jr. being ready and comparable over long haul.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You can add Tampa Bay to that list but the reality is those team don't generally draw the fans. I have been a Red Sox fan since I was seven too but that was 1949. I learned the secret of the Red Sox back in the 60's. Because the ball park was small, all they had to do was give the appearance of having a good team and they would sell out quickly before the season started. I was one of those who used to buy my tickets in January so that I would be guaranteed a seat. When I lived in the area, I would buy tickets for 7 or 8 games a year. Now I live in the San Diego area and because the Padres have no hope, I can wait until the season is well underway before I have to make a commitment. I am sure that all of the tickets for the Sox games will be gone before the season starts.
Yeah I forgot Tampa. Good call.

I was a part of a season ticket package from 2000-2004, went to quite few games in 2005 and a handful per year from 2006-2008. It's not like it was a conscience decision but I haven't been to Fenway since 2009. On the other hand, my wife and I travel to other cities once or twice a year to watch the Sox and make a vacation of it. The ballgame costs becomes merely another vacation expense :) (We were at Todd Helton Appreciation Night this year. Denver and its surroundings is a really nice area).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom