Ellsbury a Yankee | The Boneyard

Ellsbury a Yankee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
7/142. Great signing.....not as great if it means no Cano.

Hope Sox sign Granderson for 2-3 years.

Reaction Score
Great for who? Boras and jacoby? Sure.

The Yankees? No. You wanna pay a CF who can't stay healthy 22 mill a year as he enters the declining years of his career.

The great move is the Red Sox moving on. I know a lot of Yankee fans who argued Gardner was just as good and valuable as jacobyy wonder how they feel now that he's in pinstripes .

Reaction Score
Great for who? Boras and jacoby? Sure.

The Yankees? No. You wanna pay a CF who can't stay healthy 22 mill a year as he enters the declining years of his career.

The great move is the Red Sox moving on. I know a lot of Yankee fans who argued Gardner was just as good and valuable as jacobyy wonder how they feel now that he's in pinstripes .
Agree with you on all your points. As a Yankee fan I'm not happy. Over 7 yrs I will be surprised if he plays in 700 games. I would have been very happy to stay with Gardner. The present Yankee roster does not have one OF who can hit 20 HR

Reaction Score
Agree with you on all your points. As a Yankee fan I'm not happy. Over 7 yrs I will be surprised if he plays in 700 games. I would have been very happy to stay with Gardner. The present Yankee roster does not have one OF who can hit 20 HR

Soriano.

Reaction Score
Outstanding CF ; that is when he can actually play. He may even show more power in Yankee Stadium but if his signing effects signing Kano it was a blunder. BTW Gardner is NOT in Ellsbury's league.

Reaction Score
Outstanding CF ; that is when he can actually play. He may even show more power in Yankee Stadium but if his signing effects signing Kano it was a blunder. BTW Gardner is NOT in Ellsbury's league.
I never thought Gardner was in Ellsbury's league but at 7 yrs $142 mil Ellsbury is not in that league either but it looks like he found somebody to pay him that amount of money.

Reaction Score

He played 380 over the last 4, and that was during his 20s. The under on 700 is a great bet.

Tremendous talent when he's out there, 22 mill till he's 38 talent? Don't think so

Reaction Score

Last 4 years Ellsbury played 384 games with a WAR of 14.8. Gardner played 470 games with a WAR of 15.7.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was a great move for the Yankees. Jacoby is a better hitter than Gardner but they are close every where else. I wonder if Cashman is trying to prepare the Yankee fans for the loss of Cano. The Yankees still have some big holes elsewhere. I did like the signing of McCann but I thought they could have done better without Jacoby.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was a great move for the Yankees. Jacoby is a better hitter than Gardner but they are close every where else. I wonder if Cashman is trying to prepare the Yankee fans for the loss of Cano. The Yankees still have some big holes elsewhere. I did like the signing of McCann but I thought they could have done better without Jacoby.
Speculation on ESPNNewYork has Seattle as a possible bidder for Cano. Also I think this Ellsbury signing has the look of Yankees upper echelon getting involved like Hal Steinbrenner. They didn't like that attendance was down this season and they like the big name players.

Reaction Score
Heyman is saying its 7/$153m, tend to believe those numbers given Heyman is Boras' mouthpiece.

Hate to see Ells go, but I get where Sox are coming from not going 7 yrs. Beltran might be their guy making outfield a platoon between Beltran, Vict, Gomes, Nava, Bradley.

Maybe they get a bat packaging Nava/Middlebrooks and taking on salary.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jacoby jacks over 20 next season.

Still, I take the under regarding the 700 games. Third biggest OF contract...EVER(!)

Reaction Score
Ellsbury is real good.

Excellent glove.

50-75 sb
may hit 40 hrs in that bandbox

one of top few leadoff hitters in game

good move for NY

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
image.png

Reaction Score
terrible signing. Ellsbury isn't elite talent and speed is his only good attribute, which will be fading at some point during this deal.

Reaction Score
It's hilarious that you guys are making fun of how many games he played now!

No matter how late to the party you are (sour grapes it's called) you are correct. To a Yankee fan 7 years for a guy who has had multiple physical ailments is very strange especially for the amount of money discussed. Desperation?

Reaction Score
Ellsbury is real good.

Excellent glove.

50-75 sb
may hit 40 hrs in that bandbox

one of top few leadoff hitters in game

good move for NY

Disagree on the HR's......he's not dead pull and if he tries he hts .260/.270 instead of .290/.300........he hits 3-5 more than average maybe...........and gets less doubles because no more pop ups off the left field wall, they're outs now!

Reaction Score
He didnt hit many off wall. More of slap hitter to left....drives it to RF gap.

40 HRs is bit much.

but bet he hits 20-25....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
[quote="60'sfan, post: 773973, member: 1155" I wonder if Cashman is trying to prepare the Yankee fans for the loss of Cano.[/quote]

I think the opposite. The signing sets a benchmark and the Yanks will sign Cano. He doesn't want to go anywhere else. You don't sign-up with Jay-Z to play in Seattle.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No matter how late to the party you are (sour grapes it's called) you are correct. To a Yankee fan 7 years for a guy who has had multiple physical ailments is very strange especially for the amount of money discussed. Desperation?

The bottom line is that Ellsbury will have a great year next year. Six, seven years down the line, who cares? Take the ARod deal for instance. He's maybe a bit of an albatross now, but he won a title for the Yanks. Would Yank fans give that up for getting out from the rest of his contract now?

Reaction Score
Get ready to watch hitters stretching singles to doubles. Gardner or Ellsbury will play CF but the other one will have to play one of the corner OF positions. That is one weak throwing outfield. After signing McCann I assumed the Yankees would have gone after some young starting pitching but apparently not.

Reaction Score
Get ready to watch hitters stretching singles to doubles. Gardner or Ellsbury will play CF but the other one will have to play one of the corner OF positions. That is one weak throwing outfield. After signing McCann I assumed the Yankees would have gone after some young starting pitching but apparently not.

Gardner isn't bad at all.........easier to throw from left at Yankee Stadium (not as easy as Fenway where arms look better than they are because they're at LL length) so I can see The Ellsbury Doughboy in LF if they keep Gardner........

Reaction Score
The Ellsbury signing means Beltran, who I thought was a done deal, is now likely going elsewhere. Interesting signing. NY wouldn't go to 3 years for Beltran, but was willing to long for JE? I like Ellsbury much more than Gardner, but that's a lot of $ and years for a speed player. Bottom line - can he stay healthy?

Like with NY's catchers (Stewart traded), may see some OF movement. Trade Gardner - he's 30, and can be a free agent after this year? Ichiro? Wells? The latter two could be had pretty cheaply.

Waquoit made a great point about Cano. If it was just $, Robbie would have stayed with Boras (see above what his agency does). Jay-Z offered high profile entertainment stardom, which ain't happening in too many cities outside of NY. Still think they'll sign him too, but the window just closed a little bit last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom