Ekmark Transfers... | The Boneyard

Ekmark Transfers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She needed to play and playing time was only going to get shorter at Storrs. Hopefully she'll have an AA career under a very good coach.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Had there been an earlier announcement that Courtney was intending to transfer? This is the first I've heard of it.

The writing really was on the wall; her prospects for playing time were quite dim at UConn. ASU is definitely in need of more talent after losing three key players (including Brunner) to graduation. When she was at St. Mary's High School in Phoenix, Ekmark put up amazing numbers and was a highly regarded prospect. I trust that she is actually more talented and capable than her "garbage time" minutes at UConn afforded glimpses of.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Had there been an earlier announcement that Courtney was intending to transfer? This is the first I've heard of it.
there is always chatter of transfers etc. but its rightfully frowned upon... until its official

Reaction Score
Glad that she now has a chance to show what she can do in front of friends and family.

Reaction Score
Hope Courtney has a great experience at ASU - will miss her at UConn. ...Her younger brother, Andrew, is headed to Stanford and will play on the BB team there.

Reaction Score
Too bad. Thought she could have an impact this season with some playing time opening up at guard.

Reaction Score
ASU officially announces they've landed the UConn transfer. Will have 2 years left.

Good decision for Courtney. She's a good kid who always displayed a great attitude. She got off to a rough start with her foot injury. I think it was clear that she was not going to be a featured player at UCONN. She did get to experience two national championships and would now like an opportunity to showcase her talents. Who could blame her? Thanks Courtney and best of luck.

Reaction Score
Best wishes to her. Hope she is happy and productive with her new college.

Reaction Score
Sounds like she found a good fit. I could see her having a career like Marci Glenney did at Clemson.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This is the first that I have heard about this. As others have said, it is a good and sensible decision for her to make -- I think.

On the other hand, I think that she could have had an integral role on the 2016-17 UConn team, mainly as a backup to Lou at the wing / small forward / third guard position. If her 3-point shot were working, she might have been able to earn 15-18 minutes per game, and not just in garbage time.

This leaves the 2016-17 roster without any real depth in 3-point shooters. If (as I assume) UConn has an initial starting lineup of Natalie / Napheesa / Lou / Gabby / Kia, then the only two genuine 3-point threats among those five are Lou and Kia. Off the bench, there would be Crystal -- and then who? Kyla? Molly? It's not a fatal problem, but it is an annoyance -- rather like the absence of a dominating big player (also a problem in the upcoming year).

What I observed consistently about Courtney Ekmark is that while her athletic ability (especially speed and quickness) was quite limited relative to her teammates, her head was always in the game and she hardly ever made a mental error when she was on the court -- and certainly never made the same one twice. She was never (well, hardly ever) out of position on defense. That meant that she had a role on the UConn team that was quite similar to Kelly Faris's role on the Connecticut Sun -- and resulted in the same limited minutes.

I think she will be missed on the practice floor and in the locker room for the guidance that she could have offered to the five new players. I think she will thrive as a Sun Devil.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is the first that I have heard about this. As others have said, it is a good and sensible decision for her to make -- I think.

On the other hand, I think that she could have had an integral role on the 2016-17 UConn team, mainly as a backup to Lou at the wing / small forward / third guard position. If her 3-point shot were working, she might have been able to earn 15-18 minutes per game, and not just in garbage time.

This leaves the 2016-17 roster without any real depth in 3-point shooters. If (as I assume) UConn has an initial starting lineup of Natalie / Napheesa / Lou / Gabby / Kia, then the only two genuine 3-point threats among those five are Lou and Kia. Off the bench, there would be Crystal -- and then who? Kyla? Molly? It's not a fatal problem, but it is an annoyance -- rather like the absence of a dominating big player (also a problem in the upcoming year).

What I observed consistently about Courtney Ekmark is that while her athletic ability (especially speed and quickness) was quite limited relative to her teammates, her head was always in the game and she hardly ever made a mental error when she was on the court -- and certainly never made the same one twice. She was never (well, hardly ever) out of position on defense. That meant that she had a role on the UConn team that was quite similar to Kelly Faris's role on the Connecticut Sun -- and resulted in the same limited minutes.

I think she will be missed on the practice floor and in the locker room for the guidance that she could have offered to the five new players. I think she will thrive as a Sun Devil.
Joe your analysis excludes Saniya- a 35% three ball shooter for her career.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It looks like a good move, based on the 2017-18 roster. If she stays, the roster is 13 deep her senior year, with Stevens and Camera eligible, AEH and Lexi coming in. By transferring now, she sits out a year, and then hopefully will get more playing time at ASU than at UConn.

Reaction Score
Courtney also said that she came to UConn to win 4 NC, so does this mean that UConn is not going to win the next 2 now ? In all seriousness, the idea of playing for a top notch program can only carry you so far until other more important life factor comes into play. Good luck Courtney!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“Courtney is a great kid and I am thankful to have had the opportunity to get to know her and her family,” Auriemma said. “Everyone at UConn misses her already and we wish her nothing but the best in the future.”

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I know it is all speculation and none of our business but I wonder who initiated the transfer talk.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was very excited about Ekmark when she first committed. I'm glad she'll have the opportunity to play in front of family and friends. I wish nothing but the best for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom