Effect of the Big Ten moving East. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Effect of the Big Ten moving East.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You keep repeating the same stupid lie. 14 of the 17 Big East schools made out like bandits for rejecting that billion dollar offer. Clearly, the offer was a low ball.
You think the BB only schools came out ahead? They are slowly drifting into oblivion.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the B1G tournament at MSG will be a hit, even with UConn. Will we show up in droves? Sure. But I think the magic of a postseason tournament like we had in the BE is forever gone. What made that tournament so special was not just the fact that it was at MSG, but the fact that the majority of schools were within driving distance. Fans from almost all schools filled MSG to make it magical on multiple levels. Plus the majority of those schools were basketball first schools and their fan bases were of that mindset as well.

When the B1G comes to town will it still fill? Their fan bases travel in hordes for football but is basketball to same for the majority of those schools? I honestly don't know so I'm truly asking here.

If UConn gets added to the B1G it will be great and I know we'd pack MSG for a tournament or a Super Saturday thing, but I think that all who dream of the BE tournament type atmosphere will be sorely disappointed.

Reaction Score
BTW - The Big10 Super Saturday at The Madison Square Garden is this weekend.

Michigan - PSU basketball @ noon
Michigan - PSU hockey @ 7:00

Still Tickets available, but limited. UConn would look great in this event!

If you define limited as massive, then you would be accurate ... :p

Reaction Score
I'm not sure the B1G tournament at MSG will be a hit, even with UConn. Will we show up in droves? Sure. But I think the magic of a postseason tournament like we had in the BE is forever gone. What made that tournament so special was not just the fact that it was at MSG, but the fact that the majority of schools were within driving distance. Fans from almost all schools filled MSG to make it magical on multiple levels. Plus the majority of those schools were basketball first schools and their fan bases were of that mindset as well.

When the B1G comes to town will it still fill? Their fan bases travel in hordes for football but is basketball to same for the majority of those schools? I honestly don't know so I'm truly asking here.

If UConn gets added to the B1G it will be great and I know we'd pack MSG for a tournament or a Super Saturday thing, but I think that all who dream of the BE tournament type atmosphere will be sorely disappointed.

I agree that the old Big E cannot be cloned. But, remember that a school like Ohio St graduates more students per year (44,700/4 = 11,200) than most of the old Big E members combined (PC 3,800 + Seton Hall 4,500 + St John's 15,700+ Villanova 6,400 + Georgetown 7,600 = 38,000/4 = 9,500). It will be different; but, a B1G basketball tournament in NYC will do very well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And the atmosphere of a packed MSG, would energize the B1G fans that made there. In time it would become a must see event for them.

I agree with you that nothing will ever replicate the Big East, it was the best basketball conference of all time after all, but in time the years that the B1G came to MSG could be a special event, if and only if, UConn was in the fold.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the B1G tournament at MSG will be a hit, even with UConn. Will we show up in droves? Sure. But I think the magic of a postseason tournament like we had in the BE is forever gone.

1) That's a stupid, whiny, idiotic post. Did you see the UConn-Michigan State game at MSG? Yes? Then shut up.

2) As predicted, the Big Ten's "we're in New York because we have Rutgers and a couple of file cabinets" fell flat.

It will get no better than having Michigan and Penn State play there and the results were piss-poor. Maybe 12,000 people there....

Nice try, but you failed.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree more with this. When you look at alumni numbers alone, there are more B1G grads in NYC and surrounding areas than any numbers from current Big East schools. St John's is the only remaining Big East school with any sort of NYC presence whatsoever and even that is limited, at best. A B1G conference tournament in MSG would have huge numbers from the following fanbases, every year:

1. UConn
2. Michigan
3. Michigan St
4. Ohio St

^ This is your base tickets sold. That is the exact same, maybe even more, than what the old Big East tournaments generated from UConn, Syracuse....then a loooooooooooooong gap.....St John's and maybe Nova fans. Georgetown fans came up when their teams were good and ditto Pitt fans, to some extent. But the top 4 B1G fanbases would more than trump the top 4 fanbases from the Big East days. And again, that's just your base. When and if the other schools are competitive, other fanbases will come too. Rutgers and Penn St basketball are both hot garbage but if they ever had a season that was mildly competitive (hard to imagine, but stay with me), then the Garden would be absolutely rocking with 6 huge NYC fanbases.

The atmosphere for a B1G tournament that any of the top 4 are a legit national championship contender would make the old Big East tourney days look like the MAC tourney played in a high school gym.

Reaction Score

When UConn is competitive, anything UConn + MSG is a hit.....a Billy Joel type hit. There is a reason why we are called the 6th Borough. You know, that just didnt come out of thin air.

pj

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more with this. When you look at alumni numbers alone, there are more B1G grads in NYC and surrounding areas than any numbers from current Big East schools. St John's is the only remaining Big East school with any sort of NYC presence whatsoever and even that is limited, at best. A B1G conference tournament in MSG would have huge numbers from the following fanbases, every year:

1. UConn
2. Michigan
3. Michigan St
4. Ohio St

^ This is your base tickets sold.

Don't forget the 400 Rutgers fans.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
First off wasn't saying that UConn games wouldn't be hopping. Just saying I don't see the whole tournament being as amazing as everyone think it will be. I'll probably be wrong and so be it. Just stating my opinion. But I forgot it's the Boneyard where if you say something folks think is wrong, they'll belittle you. So thanks!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
BTW, Michigan vs. Penn St basketball Saturday drew ~12,000 in an arena that sits 19,000 for basketball. Roughly 63% capacity. Still don't need a 6th borough, Delaney?

Edit: Just read Spackler's post. I'm late to report, sorry for posting twice.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Actual numbers were 12,107 announced attendance in an arena that sits 19,763 so 61% capacity.

On a Saturday afternoon.

Dooley

Reaction Score
To be fair, Penn St basketball gives Rutgers basketball a worthy adversary in the battle for the B1G's most irrelevant program. I'm not sure I would watch them play if they scheduled a game in my backyard.

Reaction Score
1) That's a stupid, whiny, idiotic post. Did you see the UConn-Michigan State game at MSG? Yes? Then shut up.

2) As predicted, the Big Ten's "we're in New York because we have Rutgers and a couple of file cabinets" fell flat.

It will get no better than having Michigan and Penn State play there and the results were piss-poor. Maybe 12,000 people there....

Nice try, but you failed.

Eh, I attended both games and the crowd was fine. The combined attendance for Basketball and Hockey was about 27k which is a pretty healthy number all things considered.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
To be fair, Penn St basketball gives Rutgers basketball a worthy adversary in the battle for the B1G's most irrelevant program. I'm not sure I would watch them play if they scheduled a game in my backyard.

I have. They played at Mohegan a couple years ago against Seton Hall. It was me and my three buddies, four Penn St. fans and one Seton Hall guy in the whole arena.

Reaction Score
Does "seat filled count" actually mean as much anymore in packaged for tv sports?

The bowl game cameras conspicuously stayed at field level to minimize the vast expanses of empty seats.

And my wife swears they have amped up piped in crowd noise while the talking heads do their thing. She thinks they are trying to boost the ambiance.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I have. They played at Mohegan a couple years ago against Seton Hall. It was me and my three buddies, four Penn St. fans and one Seton Hall guy in the whole arena.

Wow. Either you really love college basketball, lost a bet, or put the 25 whiskey sours in charge of your decision making that night. :)

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Wow. Either you really love college basketball, lost a bet, or put the 25 whiskey sours in charge of your decision making that night. :)

My buddy's mother is a high roller and the tickets were free. Plus the second game was Kentucky vs. Old Dominion making it a little more palatable.

In case you become interested in Penn St. basketball, they are back next year, with URI, Cincy and Duke.

Dooley

Reaction Score
My buddy's mother is a high roller and the tickets were free. Plus the second game was Kentucky vs. Old Dominion making it a little more palatable.

Aaaaaaand there it is. Free tickets. Kentucky. Okay, now I understand. Even with that combo, I'm still positive that I wouldn't sit through the first game. Kudos to you, sir. But I guess this all happened at a time when we were in the Big East so you were probably running the scout team on Seton Hall. :cool:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Aaaaaaand there it is. Free tickets. Kentucky. Okay, now I understand. Even with that combo, I'm still positive that I wouldn't sit through the first game. Kudos to you, sir. But I guess this all happened at a time when we were in the Big East so you were probably running the scout team on Seton Hall. :cool:

This was 2011. And it was actually South Florida not Seton Hall. I had to go back to look. It was the year USF made the tourney so it ended up being okay. Got my years mixed up. The Hall was the next year, and they played URI.

But I went mainly to heckle Squid about his inabilities to beat us since it was right as we were coming off the 2011 title. Sitting through Penn St. was small consolation in order to get the opportunity to tell The Squid that UConn still owns him.

Dooley

Reaction Score
This was 2011. And it was actually South Florida not Seton Hall. I had to go back to look. It was the year USF made the tourney so it ended up being okay. Got my years mixed up. The Hall was the next year, and they played URI.

But I went mainly to heckle Squid about his inabilities to beat us since it was right as we were coming off the 2011 title. Sitting through Penn St. was small consolation in order to get the opportunity to tell The Squid that UConn still owns him.

A heckler. I can respect that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Eh, I attended both games and the crowd was fine. The combined attendance for Basketball and Hockey was about 27k which is a pretty healthy number all things considered.
Who asked you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99